Rise and Shine

Your Move

Jun

Waking up before my alarm that morning, all I could think about was how today was going to play out. “This could either go really good or really bad for me…” I thought while slowly getting up from the bed. As I moved a small ache moved throughout my body, mainly in my lower half. Remembering the pain Melonie put me through yesterday on fueled me more into making this the hardest day of her life. Today Melonie will truly see how hard it is to be an idol. A small smile crept towards my lips, as I imagined her small face looking overwhelmed and wrong!

Walking over towards my night stand I picked up my phone to call my manager Jung-Hwa, when a message popped up on my phone from CEO Song.

I heard Ms. Carter will to be accompanying you this morning for your schedule today. ….Please remember to behave Jun, or else. –Song

Looking at the screen of my phone, my fingers clinched around it in anger. Behave? Just who does he think he is? He might be my boss, but today was not the day to be telling me how to behave. I planned to show Melonie my world, and I was going to do it any way I damn pleased. Pressing the call button next to Jung-Hwa’s name I listened at the rings while I waited for him to answer. “Yes Jun?” “Hyung have the van out front in thirty minutes.” I said walking to the fridge for a bottle of water. “What has you up and about already? I usually have to call to wake you up in the mornings? Don’t tell me it’s because you’re excited about today...” He asked genuinely surprised to have my call.  “No! I just couldn’t sleep is all.” I lied. “Listen just have the van up and running by the time I get down stairs.” I ordered. “Yeah, yeah. Is that any way to be speaking to your hyung?” He said, but I could tell he was smiling on the other end. “Unless you want to be a fired “hyung” I suggest you get it done.” I said before pressing the end button. Why does he always have to question me, and do the opposite of what I tell him.

Quickly hopping in the shower I hurried to get ready. After I shaved and brushed my teeth, I opened up my closet closely inspecting each article of clothing. Finally deciding on a light gray leisure suit jacket, with a white V-neck t- underneath, I picked a pair of nice blue jeans to keep it casual. Going back at to the bathroom I looked at all the facial products that I had lined up across the bathroom vanity. My routine each morning was like second nature to me. I had to keep up appearances into order to keep being one of Korea’s top faces. A good looking face meant popularity, and popularity meant endorsements. I worked hard over the years trying to make a name for myself, and now at the age of twenty-five I could finally say that I’ve made it. With the last touch ups on my hair, I checked myself in the mirror one last time, before walking into the living room to grab my wallet, keys, and phone. “I wonder if Melonie was ready to go?” I thought I reached to open the door. “Geez!” I exclaimed as I saw Melonie on the other side of the day. “You ever heard of knocking?” I said already slightly irritated. “Tch, I was about to, but you opened the door before I could.” She said in Korean. After yesterday I noticed that she completely stopped talking in English to me, seeming more comfortable.

“Looks like you’re up and ready this morning; I thought I was going to have to wake you up again.” She said smiling. I paused distracted by her lips momentarily. “Considering that I’m getting up at a decent time…no. I’m more than capable in waking myself up thank you.” Closing the door behind me I locked it, before starting down the hallway towards the elevator. A slight tug at my left sleeve caused me to stop midway. “Uh uh uhh, don’t even think about it.” Suddenly I’m being pulled in the opposite direction. “What are you doing?” I said jerking myself away from her reach. “I said no elevators Jun.” “Yeah I remember you saying that, but I also remember it only being on those days that I have classes with you. So, as of right now I’m going to take the damn elevator.” I said walking in the opposite direction. “Whatever, I’ll just see you down stairs scrub.” With that she also walked away. Smirking I watched as she paced way agitated. I don’t what her problem was with elevators, but I was sure as hell going to figure out.

Outside Jung-Hwa was standing by the car talking to a young man who I’ve never seen before. As soon as he saw Melonie he hurried to her side, opening the car door for her. “Who’s that?” I asked Jung-Hwa. “Him? Oh he’s sort of like Melonie’s secretary/. Basically he’s just there to help her from time to time.” I eyed him as he attentively helps Melonie into the van safely. The way he looked at her gave me the impression of a young admirer than a secretary. Walking around the other side of the van I opened the door and hopped in. Melonie didn’t look my way as she was busily texting on her phone, with a worried look upon her face. “Is something wrong?” I asked curiously. She looked over at me with a bored expression. “Nothing that concerns you.” She said. “Someone’s cranky this morning. I guess you’ll be in an even crappier mood when you finally realize that my life’s harder than yours.” I said while getting comfortable in my seat. “Your schedule tells me otherwise.” She said while flipping a piece of paper out in front of her. I jerked my head towards her. “Where did you get that?” I asked, but already know the answer. “Your manager Jung-Hwa he was nice enough to send me a copy of your schedule for today. Seems pretty simple and straight forward, so I doubt you’ll have to do any actual work.” She said crossing her legs. My temperature started to rise as I looked over at Jung-Hwa towards the front. “Mian-hae (I’m sorry), she asked me saying that she was genuinely interested to see your schedule. I couldn’t really say no. By the way Ms. Carter, your Korean is very beautifully spoken; it seems you haven’t lost your sense of Korea.” He said looking through the rear view mirror at her. “Why thank manager Jun-Hwa, but please just call me Melonie. The miss just makes me feel old.” She said giving him a gentle smile. A spike of anger flowed through me suddenly. Not sure where it was coming from I snapped at Jung-Hwa, “Just go, we’re already losing time.” Pushing his glasses up his nose, he shifted gears and proceeded to drive away.

We pulled up to a warehouse just right outside of Gangnam. I was scheduled to have a photo shoot for the cover of my album. It needed to be perfect. When the van stopped we saw staff was running around trying to get everything ready for my arrival. The kid up front hopped out and ran around to open Melonie’s door. He held his hand out so she could hop down. Rolling my eyes I opened my own door, while putting my sunglasses on. Walking around the van I saw Melonie looking around as everyone was rushing around her. She looked kind of lost, but seemed comfortable in the environment like she was used to this. “Overwhelmed yet?” I asked walking towards her. She shook her head. “If you mean seeing people run around to get YOUR photo shoot together, then no.” I sighed. “You will be, one way or another.” I whispered. “Bring it.” Was all she said before she started to walk towards the inside of the warehouse. “That woman…” I resentfully thought as I followed after her.

Once inside I was immediately rushed by people. Ushering me towards the dressing area they started to undress me while holding up pairs of clothing to compare which ones looked better. As I was undressing myself to put on the suit they had picked out for me, I noticed Melonie’s eyes traveling up my body from across the room. Shocked I stopped what I was doing. We locked eyes for a second before she quickly looked away, and started talk to her assistant about something. Hmm… Being on the go all the time and at concerts I had to change my clothes constantly, so I wasn’t ashamed to a little . Hours and dedication in the gym made me proud of my body, so admirers looking from time to time didn’t bother me, but why was it when Melonie looked at me just then that my body slightly tingled from her stare. Shaking my head I continued to get ready for my first set of pictures.

The title of the album was called Past, Present, and Future and it was about the transgression of a relationship over time. Starting from the beginning where the couple just met for the first time, following the emotionally roller coaster towards the present. The future…well that consisted of the choice the couple would have to make for each other. Whether to stay together and believe that true love does exist, or break up ending the pain all together. This album was very important to me because it could either make me or break me. I wasn’t nervous of course, I put a lot of hard work into this album and I was sure that it would put me at the number one spot of many charts.

Stepping out in a crisp black and suit, I finished fastening the cuffs. Sitting down in the chair in front of a mirror, my make-up and hair stylist started going at me at once. Styling my hair with special hair products, I sat and closed my eyes as I waited for them to be done with me.  Fifteen minutes later and they had me looking a GQ model. The make-up was light, just how I liked it. Most idols relied on heavy eye lining make-up, but I refused to cake my face up with that mess. I preferred the natural look, considering that I already had good looking skin I found it redundant to try to prove otherwise. Getting up from the chair I was about to head over towards the photographer when Jung-Hwa stepped around the corner. “We might have a problem…” Handing me his phone I looked at the head lining titles. “Choreographer’s Rude Outburst Makes Celebrity Cry” “Rude Misconduct Underway at Big Entertainment Company” “Singer Down on His Last Legs” Looking up at Jung-Hwa in utter shocked I said, “What the hell is this?!” Looking around Hyung pulled me to the side where there were less people around. “Word got out about what happened yesterday in the practice room. The company’s taking care of most of the damage by stopping most of the articles, but it looks like we’re looking at an immediate press conference.” Looking over at Melonie I glared. “This is all her fault, why should I be the one getting all this heat from the press?” I said. “Because Jun if we lose her, we lose everything…”