Dinner for Two

Your Move

Melonie

            All I heard on the on the other side of the phone was silence. “You know Jun if you’re going to lie to me at least make it believable. I thought we were supposed to be friends?” I said displeased while trying to keep my voice down. I was greeted by more silence. “Well do you have anything to say for yourself?!” I said getting pissed from his lack of response. “…Melonie it wasn’t my intention to lie. I was just trying to help.” “Save it! If all you’re going do is give me some lame excuse, then I don’t want to hear it right now. Just…just go on home without me.” I said through with the whole conversation all together. “Just wait a sec_” Before he could finish his sentence, I hung up the phone. Nothing I hated more was being lied to, and Jun stood right in front of me and did just that. I shook my head in disappointment. “Why couldn’t he just be honest with me?” I wondered silently. I thought after all that talk about being friends and being truthful with one another he’d take this seriously, but I guess I was wrong.

            “Are you alright Melonie?” A clam deep voice said from behind me. Almost completely forgetting that sajangnim was still around, I jumped slightly from his voice. Putting on a straight face I turned around trying to completely forget about what just happened. “Y-yes of course! I’m sorry about all of that.” I said feeling slightly ashamed. “Don’t apologize, you’ve done nothing wrong. Is Jun still on his way to take you home?” He asked thoughtfully. From his reaction it seemed he hadn’t heard my conversation with Jun earlier, or at least I thought he didn’t. “No, something seemed to have come up.” I said not wanting to go into details. “That’s too bad…” Sajangnim said. I could have been mistaken, but I could swear I saw a small hint of a smile cross his lips very briefly before disappearing altogether. “Did he seem pleased?” I thought confused.

            “Well…my offer is still on the table, if you’d care to join me. I was essentially thinking about stopping by one of my favorite places to eat before I headed home for the night.” He said politely offering again. After that phone call with Jun, I think anything at this point would sound good. “Your favorite place is open at this time of night?” I asked skeptical. “For busy people such as ourselves I’m sure they’d make an exception.” He said as if he did this all the time. “What kind of food are we talking about here because a girl likes to eat?” I said being honest. He looked at me with cool measured intense eyes, almost as if he was taking me in. “I can assure you Melonie you won’t be disappointed. It’s excellent food, and who knows it just might become your new favorite spot.” He said amused. I cocked my head to the side playfully, while trying to keep my wandering mind on food. “Is that so? Well then, what are we waiting for? Lead the way sajangnim.” I said. “Please, when it’s after hours it’s just Jae.” He said before giving me one of the iest smiles I’ve ever seen in my entire life. I had to steady myself to keep my heart from beating a mile per minute.

            Following him to his car, sajangn_ I mean Jae politely opened the passenger side door to let me in. “Thank you.” I said slightly touched by his gesture. “Of course.” He replied before gently closing the door behind me. Once he was inside, he pressed a button which made to car start with a low hum. “This is a really nice car.” I said looking around the interior. “Thanks, she gets me where I need to go.” He said while slightly patting the steering wheel. As we were pulling out of the garage, I noticed a black van pulling into a space behind us, and Jun hoping out the side door hurrying inside the building. Thankfully Jun didn’t see the two of us driving by, as he was walking in. Jae didn’t seem to notice either. Blowing out a sigh of relief I leaned back into my seat. “Would you like to listen to some music?” Jae asked politely. I nodded, really needing a distraction. Soft classical music started playing through the whole car. “I hope you don’t mind this genre of music. I always find I can really decompress after a long day of work with a little bit of Tchaikovsky.” He said while nodding along to the music. “N-no not at all. It’s actually kind of nice to listen to something soothing and slow pace for once.” I replied.

            We continued to have small talk between each other until Jae pulled up to what looked like a small mom and pop restaurant, which seemed to look empty at this time of night. “Wow, are you sure this place is still open?” I said curiously. “Of course, Ajumma has the best seolleongtang on this side of town. Plus, she keeps her hours open till twelve for all the starving working people getting off work late. I will say it’s quite convenient for when your work hours never end.” He said amused. “Hmm, well I’m counting on some good food then.” I said finally starting to perk up from my sour mood with the talk of yummy food. As I’m reaching for my seatbelt to unfasten it, my door suddenly opens with Jae offering me his hand to step out of the car. “T-thank you.” I said taken aback by his chivalry. “Not a problem.” He said with a pleased smile once I took his hand for leverage out of the car. When our hands met however, I noticed that I didn’t feel the same shock from when Jun and my hands touched previously, but regardless his were strong and warm none the less.  

            As were entered the small restaurant I noticed a few patrons here and there eating various foods that looked and smelled divine. An older woman ushered her way from the back where I assumed the kitchen was. Her face tired from hard work quickly turned into a big smile. “Well if it isn’t my favorite customer.” She said beaming at Jae. “Aunite, I hope you’re doing well, and not working too hard. Sorry it’s been a while since I was able to return.” He said chatting her up as if they were family members. “Oh nonsense, I’m sure you were just busy, but I’m glad you stopped by to give an old woman some company.” She said with a light laugh. Peering around Jae her eyes stopped on me with surprise. “Well, who’s your beautiful guest? I don’t believe I’ve seen you bring anyone here before especially not a girl.” She said trying to hide her shock by my presence.

            Stepping out of the way he chuckled trying to hide his embarrassment. “Auntie, this is Ms. Melonie Cater. She’s a friend of mine from work, and I wanted her to try your famous japchae and budae jjigae.” He said kindly introducing me. She looked at me and smiled kindly. Turning back to Jae she replied, “Let her know that she came to the right place. Any friend of yours is welcome.” Before Jae could answer I replied in Korean, “Thank you so much for welcoming me. I’m excited to try your dishes.” I said thoughtfully. Her eyes widened with surprise from my fluent Korean. She nodded enthusiastically. “Please, have a seat anywhere, and I’ll bring you all the side dishes. I’m going to wip up a fresh batch of japchea.” She said as she gestured for us to take a seat. “Thank you, Auntie. Oh, may I grab a bottle of soju as well.” Jae asked before sitting. “Yes, dear. Here you go.” She said handing him a bottle from the fridge behind her.

            We sat towards the back near the window. The night was surprisingly busy. With pedestrians crossing the street in front of the restaurant. “So, I have to ask… How’d you find this place?” I asked curiously. A small smile crossed his lips. “One of my younger artists actually told me about this place. I remembered about two years ago a young man telling me his mother made the best seolleongtang in all of Seoul.” He said while shaking the bottle of soju before opening it. “Oh, wow really? Is the young man in one of your idol groups?” I asked. His smile fell slightly into a sad one. “Unfortunately, no. The young man was set to debut with the group Reverse, but life has a funny way with getting in the way. A year before his debut, he had a sudden brain aneurysm, and passed away in his sleep.” I lifted my hand to my mouth in shock, looking towards the kitchen. “T-that’s terrible!” I said remorsefully. He nodded his head solemnly. “About a month after the young man’s death, I took it upon myself to visit the restaurant where his mother worked. She seemed to be having a hard time barely keeping her business running, after her son’s death. I remember asking her about the seolleongtang her son recommended that I try…” He paused for a moment staring down at his hands. “It was the most delicious soup I’ve ever had the pleasure of trying. I told her how well I enjoyed the soup, and that I’d love to come back. She told me that it was her son’s favorite dish for her to make when he came home to visit her. I’m not an easily moved man, but her soup did something to me that day. I anonymously paid off her debt for her restaurant, and kept coming to visit her from time to time just to check in on her.” He said before pouring us both a drink.

            I had no idea what to say after the story he just told. Here’s a man who makes enough money to eat at five-star restaurants, buy the newest cars and clothes, but instead used his money to help someone in need. A part of me was deeply touched by his generosity towards other people. Not only was he a hardworking man, he also had a kind heart. I had to keep my heart from beating any faster. “It looks like our food is done.” He said looking over his shoulder. The woman rolled out a cart carrying our food over to the table. She expertly sat down all the food in front of us without spilling a single drop. “Here you two go, I hope you enjoy. Oh, and dear I made your favorite soup just how you like it.” She said as she happily placed the seolleongtang soup in front of Jae. “Thank you, ma’am. This looks mouthwatering.” I said my stomach growling with anticipation. “Please dig in and let me know if you two need anything else.” She said before walking away with the cart she brought out.

            “Wow this looks delicious! I have no idea where to even start.” I said looking from plate each plate stacked with mountain sized portions of food. “Here try this…” Jae said before raising a spoon full of his soup in front of me. I looked at him surprised by how casual he seemed. The dinner seemed more like eating with a friend, rather than eating with my boss. I liked how he seemed to put me at ease. I lend over the table slightly to grab the spoon he was holding before placing it into my mouth. Immediately I tasted the rich flavor of the broth from the ox bones, mixed with the garlic, spring onions, and red pepper giving it a hearty taste. “Mmm.” I couldn’t stop the small moan of satisfaction slipping from my lips from the taste of the dish. I quickly covered my mouth embarrassed from my reaction. Looking over at Jae I caught a quick glance of his eyes boring into mine with a heated stare. Clearing his throat, he brought back his spoon before asking, “Well, what did you think?” “It’s wonderful, I can see how it’s your favorite dish. I think you might have convinced me to come back.” I said playfully while trying to control the butterflies in my stomach.
 

The rest of dinner was filled with easy conversations and enjoyable food. I almost didn’t realize that is was after twelve o’clock until I checked my phone for the time. I never had dinner so late, and yet I felt so stuffed and satisfied. “It seems it’s getting quite late. How about I drop you off at home before I head back.” He said while grabbing his suit jacket off the chair. “I can grab a cab; I’d hate to put you out of your wa_” “Nonsense. Let me just pay for the food here, and I’ll have you back home in no time.” He said interrupting me before I could finish my statement. “Are you sure?” I said still not sure. He looked down at me with tender eyes. “Of course, Melonie. What kind of man would I be if I didn’t drop you off safe and sound?” The sincerity in his voice moved me to comply. “Alright, if you say so.” I said walking with him towards the front of the restaurant.

As the ajumma rang up our totals for the meal, I got a buzz from my phone. Looking down at it I noticed I had fived missed calls from Jun. Rolling my eyes I was getting ready to put my phone in my pocket when I noticed a text pop up.

Melonie quit ignoring my calls. Where are you? Can we talk please?

            The “please” in his message caught my eye. Jun wasn’t the type to use manners. “Maybe there could be a reasonable explanation as to why he lied to me.” I thought, but quickly dismissed it out of my head. I replied to his text with a simple “no” in return. I was in no mood to talk to him tonight. I wanted my night to end on a high note.

            As Jae drove me home from the late-night dinner, I received three more phone calls from Jun, and two more texts. “Is something wrong?” Jae asked concerning the constant ringing of my phone. “No, no, nothing to worry about.” I said turning my phone off completely. “Melonie, if someone is bothering you, you should let me know.” He said turning his head from the road towards me. “It’s nothing really. I can handle it.” I said trying to keep my mind off Jun. “If you say so…” He said while slowing pulling up to the front of my apartment complex.

            Stepping out of the car, Jae once again opened my door for me offering me his hand for support. “Thank you.” I said while reaching for his hand. With such ease, he easily guided me out of the car. My breath caught by how close we were standing in front of each other. His height towered over as our eyes locked. Calm cool collected eyes stared into my own, and for a moment I thought I saw was going to say something. To my surprise he released my hand while taking a step back or two. “Thank you for accompanying me to dinner Melonie. The food seemed even more delicious than usual.” He said sincerely. I nodded while smiling. “No, thank you. If it wasn’t for you, I don’t think I would’ve found such a place on my own. I’ll definitely be going back someday.” I said thankful for the leftovers. “Who knows we might bump into each other again after work, or maybe even for lunch when I’m not overloaded with meetings. We could try to go again.” He said keeping it casual. “Haha, when are you not busy.” I said jokingly. “You’re right I’m always busy, but man has to eat sometime. Besides food taste better when someone’s eating it with you.” He said. “You’re right, but you’re not just any man. Your CEO Song of StarInc. I’m sure your busy schedule wouldn’t let that happen.” I said getting ready to step around him. “I wasn’t too busy to pick up a certain someone two weeks ago from Oasis…” He said his tone now serious. My eyes widened with surprise. “E-excuse me?” I said not sure if I heard him correctly. He sighed looking up at the sky and then back down at me. “Melonie, I was the one who took you home that night from the club not Jun.” he said deadpanned. “I knew you two were arguing about that earlier on the phone.” He said truthfully. I stood there in disbelief and confusion. “If that was the case, why didn’t you say that in the beginning. This isn’t a joke.” I said feeling my voice raise slightly. “No, it isn’t a joke Melonie. How do you think I felt getting a phone call that late at night from So-Young telling me that you were passed out drunk? Walking in and seeing you left there drunk and vulnerable on a couch in that club angered me deeply. So, I did what any responsible man would do. I fixed the problem and made sure you got home ok. Granted you did stay awake long enough to put your passcode in before you passed out, but regardless you were safe. I promise all I did was lay you down on the bed, and I left right after that. I even left a note expecting your call the next day to see how you were.” I paused remembering the note I found by my bed the next morning. “That was you?!” I said with disbelief. Full blown panic washed through me as I listened to my boss explain that he was indeed the person who brought my drunk home two weeks ago.

            “I’m terribly sorry that I put you through that sajangnim. I’m usually not like that.” I said covering my face in embarrassment. All I wanted to do in the moment was disappear. Warm hands pulled mine away from my face. “Melonie, I’m not sure why Jun would lie to you about this, but if I had to make a guess it was to save you from the embarrassment you’re feeling now. I know Jun and you don’t get along that well but try not to be too hard on him. It’s been a while since he’s made actual friends who don’t want to just use him for his fame and reputation.” He said empathetically. “I thought you two hated each other?” I said incredulously. He was silent for a moment before he answered. “Let’s just say that Jun and I have a…complicated relationship.” He said leaving it at that. “You should head inside now Melonie. I just wanted to set the record straight.” He said before backing out of my way all together. I sighed. “I appreciate you telling me the truth sajangnim, but I don’t like being lied to. I’ll talk to Jun, but it won’t be tonight.” I said making myself clear. “Understood. I hope this didn’t change anything between us. Try not to think too much about it and get some sleep Melonie. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He said leaning in to close the passenger door behind me. His cologne lingered as he started to walk towards his side of the car. “Goodnight Melonie.” The way he said my name brought shivers up arms. “Goodnight, Jae_ I mean sajangnim.” I said before rushing inside my apartment complex to keep from blushing. “No need to embarrass yourself twice in front of him…” I thought as I head in for the night.