The Good, the Bad, and the Bold (Part 1)

Your Move

                                  Jun

​Looking at myself one last time in the rearview mirror, I turned the car off while grabbing my keys. Stepping out of my 2018 red Kia Stinger, I brushed at the invisible lent of my white slim tight dress shirt, and dark navy blue slim fitting slacks. I know I probably didn’t have to be this dressed going out, but tonight was different. For the first time I’d be able to see what Melonie was really like outside of the dance studio and work.She was always so serious, and wanted things done her way, so it’ll be interesting to see her in a different setting. 

​Not even looking his way, I threw my car keys towards the valet worker. “Thank you, sir!” The valet worker bowed slightly before driving away quickly to park my car. Looking around I was just about to walk inside the club from the special entrance, when I heard some commotion coming from down the sidewalk. Staring curiously I noticed a porcelain beauty wearing a white dress, looking like she was going to attack the poor security guard. What caught my attention even more was the woman the long shapely legs, nice rounded hips, with the figure of a coke bottle all nicely dressed in the most sinful red dress I had ever seen. Unfortunately I couldn’t see her face, but I saw that her skin color was noticeably darker than her friends. 

​With my curiosity peeked I stepped closer down the sidewalk, trying to hear what the conflict was all about. “Who was the guest that said she couldn’t go in?” The woman in white asked seething. “I’m sorry, but I can’t tell you that…” The bouncer said apologetically. He then asked the mysterious woman in red to step out the line. Her friend exploded with anger, calling out the establishment. The beauty in red tried to calm down her friend while stepping out of the line, that’s when I recognized her face. “Melonie?!” I thought in shock as I stared at the same girl who was wearing cut-off jeans and a sweatshirt earlier. Now she was standing in front of me as one of the most beautiful woman I had ever seen! 

​Looking at her now, she wore a disappointed look on her face, as she started to walk away. Something brought my feet into action, and the next thing I know I’m stopping her from leaving. I don’t know what possessed me to do so , but here I was telling the bouncer that the two ladies were with me. I heard several people gasp from behind me by my declaration. Melonie looked up surprised to see me standing here. I noticed the quick glide of her eyes roaming down my body to take me in.  Then all of a sudden she stepped back breaking the connection we had for a split second. “Ah yes, of course Lee-Min-Jun. I had no idea they were with you tonight.” The bouncer said almost sounding thankful. 

By that point people started to get out of line to take pictures of me , while asking for my autograph. Ignoring them I turned back to Melonie, and her friend. “You two head on inside, I’ll be there in just a few moments.” I said while nodding my head towards the doors. “See Melonie, I don’t know what you were talking about earlier, he’s totally awesome!” Her friend said while pulling Melonie towards the entrance of the club. 

Turning back towards the crowd I said, “I know you guys didn’t come here for me, but I appreciate your enthusiasm. Please don’t waste your time taking pictures of me, when we could all be partying together!” I said winking towards some of the ladies.  From behind me, more security had been called outside to take care of the impending mob of fans. “How about we make their jobs easier by lining back up, it’ll go by quicker if we’re all working together.” Most of them agreed by successfully stepping back in line, but once there was enough room I turned to look at the bouncer who denied Melonie earlier. “Who was it?” I said quietly underneath my breath. “I don’t understand what you_” “Enough of the run around, give me the list!” I said holding out my hand expectantly. He sighed, but handed it over. Flipping through some of the pages I saw a familiar name requesting that Melonie be denied entrance. “So-Young…” I thought while tossing the clip board back at him. “Sorry for the trouble.” I said while smoothing dropping about 50,000 won (about $50 USD) inside his shirt pocket before walking in. 

When I entered I was surprised to see Melonie and her friend waiting for me. “Why haven’t you girls gone up to the club yet?” I asked confused. “We were waiting on you handsome. Also Melonie wanted to THANK you for what you did for us earlier.” Her friend said while nudging Melonie. Melonie stood there shifting from heel to heel uncomfortably. “Can we just go in, I’m already embarrassed enough.” She said not looking my way. “Please excuse her, she can be a little rude sometimes. Ah, where are my manners. I’m Kwon-Hye-Su, Melonie and I have been best friends since grade school.” She said offering me her hand. Taking her small hand into mine, I gave it a gentle shake. “Pleased to me you I’m_” “Oh, everyone already know who you are. You practically announced it at the front door!” Melonie said irritated. Thrown off by her attitude, I couldn’t help but smile by the way she kept cutting her eyes towards me. “I didn’t mean to offend you, I was just trying to help.” I said honestly. “Well maybe you could do it a little more subtle next time. I really don’t need to be in the news over another scandal.” She said throwing her hair over her shoulder. The mere action was a normal gesture, but it felt like the room let some of the oxygen out, by the way the light fragrance of her perfume reminded me of the white cherry blossoms that bloomed in the spring. I had to stop myself from leaning in for more. “What the hell was wrong with me.” I thought as I tried to pull myself together.

“How about you ladies follow me up to the VIP floor, I’m sure So-Young is waiting on us.” I said walking forward towards the elevators. “Seriously, and I thought tonight couldn’t get any worse.” I heard Melonie grumble behind me. Ignoring the comment I pressed the up button on the elevator. “Melonie, where are you going?” Her friend asked. “The elevators are taking too long, I’m taking the stairs. I’ll see you guys up there.” Melonie said before ascending the stairs, not without me catching a glimpse of her rounded backside. The ding from the elevator startled me as I tore my eyes away from her . Sighing I stepped inside and slid pressed my VIP card against the scanner and pressed the “V” button. Hye-Su walked in after me looking a little flustered. “I’m sorry about that; Melonie can get a little nervous around…well you know.” She said. “It’s ok I understand.” I said reassuringly. “You do?! I mean she did tell you why right?” She asked shocked. I looked at her confused. “Oh…I guess not. Just know that Melonie can be a bit moody sometimes, but she has one of the biggest hearts I know.” She said smiling up at me. I felt a small smile lift towards my lips. “She’s lucky to have a friend like you to speak so highly of her.” I said politely. “No, no, I’m the one that’s lucky. Do me one favor… just make sure you treat her right, I don’t need anyone else hurting her again…” She said leaving it at that. Before I could ask what she meant by that the elevator doors opened. 

Stepping off I looked towards the stairs to see Melonie patiently waiting behind the rope that lead to the VIP floor. “You can let her through.” I said patting the bouncer on the shoulder. He nodded letting down the barrier for her to step through. “Thanks.” She said before walking towards her friend. “This way ladies.” I said as we started to make our way towards a dark hallway. Up on the VIP floor it had its own dance floor and DJ. The drinks and music were guaranteed to be better, that is if you had the money.  As we made our way through there was a couple standing in the hallway chatting. I nodded towards the actor who was talking real close to a woman who looked like a famous model. He lifted his drink while continuing to run his hand down the back of the woman’s dress.

Coming out of the dark hallway lead us to the main room of the club, and it was booming with loud hip-hop music that I couldn’t understand. There was a good amount of people at Oasis tonight, and it felt like all eyes were on us as we walked through. Making our way through we made a left to step down another hallway which had private rooms for people who wanted to have a private party, without the disturbance from the outside. “Just this way…” I said over my shoulder. “Oh my gosh, this is the first time I ever been up here before. It’s way better than downstairs.” Hye-Su said with excitement. “It is…nice.” I heard Melonie agree. Stopping midway down the hallway I turned to open the door on my right. “After you ladies.” I said while holding open the door for them. “Yah!Where have you_” So-Young stopped mid-sentence noticing we had guests to straighten herself. She wore a slim fitting black dress that made her look classically beautiful, but it didn’t compare to the sinful red dress that has burned a permanent image of Melonie in the back of my mind. “Ah, Melonie nice of you to join us, I hope it wasn’t too difficult for you to get in.” She said with a smirk. Hye-Su gasped with a deep glare on her face. Melonie looked at So-Young for a second before giving a bright smile. “Actually no…Min-Jun personally escorted us in himself. The bouncer was especially nice.” Melonie said matching her smirk. So-Young huffed in frustration before waving her hand to dismiss the whole conversation. 

“Is this your friend you were talking about earlier? She’s quite beautiful.” She said back on her best behavior. “Yes, this is my best friend Kwon-Hye-Su. Hye-Su this is So-Young, she’s a member of one of the girl groups at StarInc.” Melonie said introducing them. “The group is called Hypnotics, and I’m also Min-Jun’s girlfrie_” “You know how about we get some shots going before everyone gets here.” I said interrupting So-Young. “Everyone else?” Melonie asked confused. “How cute, you thought it was just only you? Sorry princess, but only some of our closest friends will be stopping by tonight. It’s been a long time since we’ve all been able to have fun together.” There was a hint of sadness in So-Young’s voice. I gave her a small smile for reassurance.

“What would everybody like?” I’m about to put in an order.” I asked the ladies. “I’ll take a vodka and soda please.” He friend said excited. “I’ll have Tequila with a lime please.” Melonie said quietly. “You already know what I like, right Junnie~” So-Young said in her sing-song voice. Honestly I hate when she called me that nickname, it made me want to cringe, but I held out wanting to keep her entertained for the time being. 

Walking over towards the right wall I picked up the phone, and someone immediately answered from the bar. “How may I help you this evening?” A polite voice answered on the other side. “Ah yes, I’d like to order your party special for your drinks and appetizers. It really doesn’t matter what you bring us, just whatever’s popular. Also if I could bring a vodka and soda, a glass of Yamazaki whiskey, and…” I paused looking over my shoulder to see that the girls were chatting friendly with each other. “…a shot of Tequila with salt around the rim, and a lime. Matter of fact make that two please.” I said finishing. “Will that be all for you, sir?” The bartender said on the other end. “Yes, I’ll let you know if we need anything else.” I said. “Most certainly sir, until then I will wait for your call.” They said before I hung up the phone. 

I turned to see So-Young curiously eyeing Melonie. “You clean up nice. I didn’t even know that you owned a dress.” She said condescendingly to Melonie. “So-Young…” I warned, not wanting her to cause anymore drama. “What? I’m just telling Melonie she looks nice.” She said while playfully throwing her long black hair over her shoulder. “Actually this is Hye-Su’s dress; she was kind enough to let me borrow it for the night, though I probably don’t give it justice.” Melonie said nonchalantly. I wanted to speak up right then and there, and tell her she was wrong. The dress made her look like a red goddess. It was hard to pull my eyes away from her since I first saw her in it. “What are you talking about you look gorgeous!” Hye-Su exclaimed. “Thanks.” Melonie said patting her friend’s leg. 

  All of a sudden the door suddenly opens, and our shots arrived along with the other drinks with some entrees. Several waiters walked through the door to set various items on the table. There was enough expensive liquor to keep a whole army happy. “Wow that’s a lot of Soju and beer…” Melonie said impressed. “Well I hope you ladies can drink, it would be a shame for all of this to go to waste.” I said walking over to the table. The waiters left as soon as the last dish was brought in. We all gathered taking our shots in our hands. “One shot!” Hye-Su yelled. “One shot!” The rest of us said after her. Downing my shot I immediately the salt on the rim, followed by the lime. The expensive alcohol burned down my throat, feeling good all the way down. Looking over it seemed like the ladies had all finished theirs as well. I noticed that Melonie had eaten the whole middle of her lime, as she patted her cheeks to ward off the burn. “That was good.” I said setting down the shot glass back on the table. “Mmm thanks Junnie-ah!” So-Young said before suddenly kissing my cheek. I tensed from the unexpected act of affection. Cutting my eyes over to Melonie, I noticed she was staring. When our eyes locked she quickly looked away. I grunted a welcome before reaching over to grab a napkin to whip off So-Young’s lipstick mark from my face. I heard her giggle from my action. 

The doors swung open again, and several familiar faces walked through the room. “Hey!” Loud joyful greetings rang out as two of So-Young friends, Chasueng, and Ty entered the room. So-Young ran from the table to hug her two friends, whose names escaped me. I walked around to greet the guys giving half hugs to the both of them. “Everyone, I’d like for you to meet Melonie Carter and her friend Kwon-Hye-Su.” They peered around me curiously to look at Melonie. “Can Melonie understand Korean? I don’t want to be stuck speaking in broken English the whole night.” Ty said. Everyone began to laugh. “I can understand you just fine.” Melonie said politely in Korean. The gang looked just as shocked as me, when I first heard her speak in Korean. “Melonie here is my new choreographer for my upcoming promotion. We decided that we needed a break to let loose, and enjoy ourselves.” I said before moving aside to let them move further into the room. 

“I hope he wasn’t too much of an . If so I’d like to officially apologize for him.” Ty said before walking over to shake Melonie’s hand. She smiled before accepting his handshake.” The name’s Taeyong, but my friends call me Ty.” He said smoothly wasting no time at all. “Pleasure to meet you Ty, as for Min-Jun…” I held my breath, waiting for her to finish her statement. “I think I can handle him.” She said with light laughter. I sighed grateful she wasn’t busting my balls in front of everyone. “I’m starting to like this side of her already.” I thought as I made my way back over to the table. “Alright everyone, now that we’re all here it time to…” “Party!” Everyone finished for me. The guys immediately went towards Melonie’s and her friend’s side. Ty seemed to have his eye on Melonie. I felt a slight twinge of irritation when So-Young wrapped her arms around my waist to whisper seductively in my ear, “ It seems your friend Ty likes your little dance teacher, I guess that means I get to finally keep you for the rest of the night.” Don’t get me wrong So-Young is a beautiful woman, but the way that Melonie was looking tonight was really catching my attention. The way that Ty was getting closer and closer to Melonie made it seem he was thinking the exact same thing. I knew what type of guy Ty was though. He always had a thing for foreigners, with only one goal in mind... Knowing him he was probably going to sweet talk Melonie all night, with the prospects of maybe getting her into bed. The more I looked at those two talking to each other the more it started to displease me. 

“Let me make you a drink.” I said while unwrapping So-young’s arms from around me. She pouted a little, but I was already past that. “How about we do Somaek to start everything off? Have you ever done Somaek Melonie?” Ty asked curiously. “No, I can’t say that I have, but I’ve always wanted to try.” She said while helping to set up the glasses. “You don’t have to do that Melonie. Here let me.” He said taking the glasses out of her hand, but intentionally touching her fingers. Not paying attention, I accidentally dropped one of the shot glasses onto the table, breaking their interaction with each other. “You good over there Jun?” You didn’t have too many before we came huh?” Ty jokingly said with the same ole’ crooked smile he’s had for all these years. “Haha, very funny.” I said unamused. I felt my mood growing darker by the minute. 

Looking over at Melonie’s friend, she seemed to be fitting right in while flirting with my friend Chaseung. It was good to see that no one was left out, and now that there were people here maybe that would make So-Young less catty with Melonie. Yeah, sure she could be a little spiteful sometimes, but the way she treated Melonie was just plain mean. I really couldn’t wrap my head around why So-Young had it out for Melonie. “She wasn’t that bad…” I thought taking a quick glance at her. I hadn’t forgotten what So-Young did to Melonie earlier, and if she thought I was going to be acting buddy, buddy with here then she was dead wrong. 

Once everything was setup we all gathered around our glasses. “Melonie would you like to know how this works?” I asked giving her my full attention. “I can explain it to her.” Ty said before giving her the rundown of the rules. “He’ll probably give you a lengthy explanation, but its super simple. Just drop the Soju into your glass of beer, then down it as fast as you can. It’s a great party starter.” Ty explained. “Ok, guys you ready?” I asked tired of waiting. Everyone raised their glasses and shouted, “One shot!” Then we dropped the Soju shot inside the glass watching it fizz in together. I took the glass and chugged it down as fast as I could. Once I was done I set the glass back down on the table, proud I still haven’t lost my touch at drinking. 

Mostly everyone was still trying to finish their drinks except for Melonie. Dabbing the sides of with a small napkin, she finished her drink like a pro! “Funny I didn’t take you as a drinker Melonie.” I said from across the table. “There’s a lot you don’t know me.” She said with a simple shrug of her shoulders. “Ohh…” Some of the group said with her comment. “Oh relax there was barely anything in her glass.” So-Young said while rolling her eyes. “She had the same amount as everyone else.” Hye-Su countered. Melonie gave her friend a small smile. “I think she needs to have another one… You know, to make sure she’s keeping up with the rest of us.” So-Young said with a snide smirk on her face. I put my arm around her shoulder. “It wouldn’t be fun if she was the only one doing it. How about you join her?” I asked playing her game. Shocked Su-Young stared up at me confused. “You know I’m a light weight.” She said with her shy girl façade. “Then we better make sure to barely put anything in your glass, right?” Melonie said with a sassy tone, while grabbing another beer from the table to fill her glass. I scooted So-Young’s glass in front of her. When she didn’t take it at first I arched my eyebrows. She huffed before grabbing a beer for herself also. ​As Melonie went for the Soju bottle she asked, “You like bets So-Young?” “I don’t gamble if that’s what you mean.” So-Young said smartly. “You’re not really gambling, it’s more like a friendly wager.” Melonie said mischievously. I tried hard to hide the smile from my face. I knew where this was headed, and I could warn So-Young not to take the bet, but a part of me really wanted her to learn that lesson for herself. “Some people just needed to understand to never make a wager with Melonie Carter.” I thought as I waited for everything to play out. “It’s kind of hard to wager things you don’t have.” So-Young said in a mocking tone. “If you’re talking about money I can assure you my dancing salary can compare to yours, but I was thinking more along the lines of a simple request.” Melonie proposed. “A request you say? What kind of request?” So-Young asked curiously. “Respect…” Melonie answered calmly. “Respect?What kind of silly request is that supposed to be?” So-Young said while laughing with her friends in disbelief. “You can make any reasonable request, and if you win I’ll go along with it without making a fuss. Melonie suggested. 

Looking back at So-Young she seemed as if she was about to refuse. “…Or I can finish my drink right now, and go about my damn business. I was just trying to make it fun.” Melonie said before winking at her. “Oh man, I like her attitude! Jun, you should bring her around more often. Come on, So-Young. What’s one little bet going to hurt?” Ty said tauntingly. “Sigh, fine, but if I win I have full rights to come and go to the dance studio when I please, without a word from you.” So-Young said the Melonie. “Let’s spread out and give them some room.” One of So-Young’s friends said. “It’s ok; you really don’t need to back up for this.” Melonie said unconcerned. “Tch, you better be ready to back up that statement.”  So-Young said under her breath. 

“Alright ladies you already know what to do. Whoever finishes first wins!” Chaseung said being the mediator. I lend up against the arm of the one of the sofas beside me, to prepare to watch the drama unfold. “Ok both hands on top of the table. Good, alright on your mark…get set…GO!” Chaseung exclaimed. So-Young didn’t hesitate to drop her soju shot into her drink to start taking drink after drink. Melonie did the same, but instead of taking individual gulps…she started to chug down her drink without a breath in between. In a matter of seconds her drink was almost finished. So-Young was about halfway through hers, when Melonie suddenly sat down her glass. My eyes widened with surprise. Never have I ever witnessed a woman drink something so fast. Melonie took it like a champ, almost as if it was the easiest thing in the world. Everyone got quite as we all stared in disbelief. One of the girls tapped So-Young to get her attention to stop drinking. “Hold on I’m almost through!” So-Young said in a gasp. “B-but Melonie already finished hers…” “Mwah?!” So-Young Asked shocked. “Daebak!” ty said while high fiving Chaseung. “Yes, you did it!” Hye-Su said giving Melonie a hug. Melonie giggled. “I’m defiantly going to feel this tomorrow.” She said while taking a deep breath. “Are you kidding?! That was amazing! Where did you learn how to do something like that?” Ty asked curiously. Melonie looked around the room embarrassed. “College…” She said modestly before letting out a tiny burp. “Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry!” She said flustered. I couldn’t help but laugh at her reaction. She started fanning her face as if it was hot. “Hush, it’s not funny!” Melonie said chastising me.  “Awe, come on how can I not laugh at that? That was hilarious!” I said chuckling again. To my surprise she started to laugh too. “Ok, I guess you’re right…” She said bashfully. She then looked over at So-Young to say, “Well I guess I won fair and square.” She said while waving her empty glass in the air. “Yeah, because you obviously cheated, I’m never making a bet with you again!” So-Young said pissed. “That’s a wise decision.” I said while shaking my head. “Ugh, and I got beer on my dress!” She said before angrily walking out of the room.  Her friends followed, not too far behind her. 

“Whew, well that was exciting! I say we all take one more shot before we head down to the dance floor.” Hye said excitedly. “Girl I’ve been ready, this room is so stuffy.” Melonie said with another sweet giggle. She finally seemed as if she’d loosened up a bit, and was enjoying herself. “Well let’s do it then!” Ty said pouring another round of shots for everybody in left in the room. I stepped closer to Melonie’s side of the table, filling in the gaps from where other people had left. “Is it me, or is it starting to get really hot in here. Melonie said looking a little flushed. “No, sweetheart that’s just the alcohol working…” Ty said while smoothly putting his hand on the middle of her back. I felt my jaw tighten by the action. I didn’t invite Ty tonight so that he could be all over Melonie tonight. I knew he was trying to get with her, but I really didn’t need any more drama in my life right now. 

“You sure you can handle this shot? You seem a little good for right now.” I said scooting the shot glass away from her. “What are you her dad?” Let the woman take the shot.” Ty said. Chaseung shook his head laughing quietly. “Thanks for the concern Min-Jun, but I think I can handle it. Besides this is the last one for right now before I sober up with dancing.” Melonie said giving me a reassuring smile. “Sober up?! Now why would you want to do a responsible thing like that?” Tonight is about having fun, and getting wasted!” Ty rattled while scooting Melonie’s shot glass back in front of her. She nodded her head in thanks. I sighed, but held my glass in the air. “One shot!” I yelled. “One shot!” Everyone else said after me. Leaning back the alcohol slid down my throat burning all the way down. I was starting to feel a little tipsy myself; I could only imagine how Melonie was feeling right about now. 

“Ok, let’s go dance!” Melonie said while pulling her friend along. She sashed right past me, as her lovely red dress tightly hugged her hips in all the right places.  “Damn…” I thought. I quickly looked away before I got caught staring. I also needed to get out of this room to grab some fresh air. I turned to follow the girls out, when Ty grabbed my arm. “Aren’t you going to wait for your girlfriend?” He asked loud enough for everyone to hear. Melonie turned to look over her shoulder at us before rolling her eyes, and walking out the door with her friend. Now it was only us guys left in the room. Sliding Ty’s hand off my arm I said, “I wasn’t really planning on it.” I said uninterested. “You can wait for her if you want.” I said sarcastically. “Nah, man So-Young’s too much to handle. Now the black beauty on the other hand…” he said smirking. “You mean Melonie? That is her name…maybe you’d remember that if you’d quit staring at her s.” I said trying to hide my annoyance. I couldn’t let on that I was getting irritated by the way Ty was hanging around Melonie tonight. “Come on man, how can you not?! I’ve never seen anything like her before, and besides this could be my first chance getting with a black chick.” He said while tossing back a glass of whiskey. Setting it down he started to walk past me, when I reached out to grab him this time. “Ty…she’s off limits.” I said serious now. “Relax Jun, I promise not to be too rough with her tonight.” He said while laughing with Chaseung. I felt my temperature rise a couple of degrees, as I clenched the muscles in my jaws. 

Most people who knew me saw that I’d never get upset over someone else, especially not a woman, but standing here now listening to how Ty was talking about Melonie as just another girl was starting to get on my nerves. Before I could say anything else, So-Young and her friends came bustling back into the room. “Where’s your little drill sergeant?” She asked coming over towards me. I released Ty’s arm letting him go. He winked at me before walking out the room. “She’s up front dancing.” I said my mood soured. “I was just telling the girls about how she keeps you away from me every day.” She said trying to make her voice sound sweet. I sighed not wanting to deal with this right now. “Excuse me ladies. Chaseung you want to check out the front?” I said trying to steer clear from that conversation. “Yeah, I thought you’d never ask.” He said coming around the table to join me. “What? Where are you guys going? I thought we were going to spend some time together.” So-Young said blocking our exit. “We’ll be back. We’re just going up front to have a little fun. You ladies can join us if you’d like.” I said thumbing towards the door. “What do you think ladies? It’s been a while since we’ve all danced together.” So-Young asked her friends. “Mm, I’m not looking forward to getting sweaty and gross. I need this make-up to last at least till the end of the night.” One of the girls whose name I couldn’t remember said. “Yeah, I really don’t feel like possibly bumping into one of my ex’s downstairs.” Her other friend said while scrolling through her phone. “Ye-yeah I guess that’s true… Junnie~ we’re going to stay up here, until you and the boys decide to return.” So-Young said with slight disappointment in her voice. “The invitation still stands if you change your mind So-Young. We won’t be long.” I said sympathetically giving her shoulder a slight squeeze. “Come on man, we’re missing everything!” Chaseung said while pulling me towards the door. Before I could say anything else I was out the door.