Statement Please...

Your Move

Jun

            With things going downhill fast, it looked like I nor either Sajangnim could rectify what was happening before us. Then out of the blue all commotion in the room suddenly stopped as everyone turned their attention towards the back of the room. With all the lights shining in my eyes, I couldn't look towards the back without seeing totally darkness. I wasn't sure what everyone was looking at until I heard Melonie's voice speak up for the first time. "…I have something to say." She said. Placing my hands above my eyes I tried to shield the light so I could see what exactly was going on. "What is she doing…?" I heard Sajangnim say quietly, but there was a slight smile playing at the corner of his lips. Looking back towards the crowd my eyes finally landed on Melonie. As she stood amongst the mass of reporters she looked so small, but her presence seemed just the opposite. With fits clinched while holding her head up high, she started to make her way towards the front while those in front of her moved to make way. Cameras started to flash more rapidly as she approached the stage. All the while I couldn't seem to keep my eyes off of her.

            As she made her way up the stairs, the staff quickly moved things around to place another chair for her right between CEO Song and I. Her light brown eyes seemed to sparkle as the flashing lights resumed before us. CEO Song stood to move the chair out some so she could have enough room to sit down. It was such a simple act of chivalry, but seeing him do something like seemed to bother me for some reason. Melonie smiled while bowing slightly to take her seat. Leaning over CEO Song whispered, "You don’t have to do this Ms. Carter…" "It's ok, I got this." She said calmly. Suddenly my throat was dry. Picking up the glass of water in front of me I was about to take a drink when I realized that it was empty. Quickly looking down I saw a fresh bottle of water that hadn't been open. Slyly looking around I picked up the bottle to open it while secretly hoping that no one had saw my few seconds of carelessness.

            Melonie clearing brought my attention back towards her. Slowly unclenching one of her fits, she reach for the mic in front of her causing feedback to ring throughout the room. Jerking her hand back it seemed to shock her momentarily, but quickly recovered by reaching around the outside to adjust it towards . Taking one last deep breath she started to speak. "…I guess you could call that first great impression." She stated jokingly. That brought on a couple of laughs from the reporters. After that response she seemed relax as she continued, "We all came here for one reason…for the truth, and I will do my best in answering all your questions today, but first I'd like to address some misconceptions about myself before we begin." She started out in Korean. The crowd before her started to whisper amongst themselves. They were probably taking in the fact that she knew how to speak Korean fluently. "As I was reading some of the articles and reports about what people "thought" happened yesterday, I came across certain phrases that seemed to stand out the most. "That American." "How black of her." "She's such a dark bully." "Go home American!'" She paused. For brief second I saw distant pain in her eyes, as if this was nothing new to her, but hurt all the same. "Well to be honest those comments would hurt anyone's feelings who looked remotely like me, but one thing that hurt me the most was the fact that they left out the fact that I'm also Korean…" If cameras weren't flashing before, they were flashing now, while mummers of excitement whisked around the room. "…Ok maybe I'm not of Korean decent, but I am a citizen of Republic of Korea. Born and raised in Dongducheon, my parents raised me with the best of both worlds even though they were also American, but that never stopped them from engaging me within the culture that I lived in. What I'm trying to say is that Korea is my home, and after five years of being away I was finally able to return to the place that I know and love through a great opportunity that just happened to land my way…" She quietly turned and bowed slightly to Sajangnim before continuing on. "One thing that I'm quickly beginning to realize is that stark difference between where I was, and where I am now. Though I have come back to Korea to help Ju-…Min-Jun with his comeback, I don't want my color nor do I want that fact that I'm part American get in the way with what I'm trying to accomplish here in the short amount of time that I have. Yesterday's events could have been avoided if not for the lack of communication with the young lady's manager informing myself that she would be promoting around the same time that Min-Jun and I were having practice. Even after all the reporters came bursting through the door, I kindly introduced myself but asked for them to leave, and to continue after we were done. Do I feel wrong asking them to politely leave? No. Could they have come back later? Yes. I'm sure you all take your jobs very seriously as do I, but once you step out onto that dance floor you're stepping into my domain, and I'll do anything to protect it…"

            I wasn't quite expecting such bold a answer to come out of Melonie's mouth. I could understand why some people were calling her so American-like due to her straight forward attitude.  Hell I thought she was her to help me, not make matters worse… I cringed while looking forward at all the blank faces in the audience, only briefly imagining what exactly they could be thinking. Suddenly panicking to rectify the situation before she could dig us both a deeper grave, I reach for the microphone. Pain shot through my leg as I hunched over in pain. Melonie had stomped on my left foot before I could a single word out. Pretending as if nothing happened Melonie continued to talk. "I know I might come off as straight forward and rash, heh I blame my father for those traits. Heck you have to be working with someone like Min-Jun." She said slightly laughing. Everyone in the audience seemed to agree with her. Glaring at her with pain blaring in my left foot, I stopped short by the saddened look on her face. "Even though I may be like this…I am deeply sorry for my actions yesterday." I slowly straightened, not expecting for such a phrase come out . "I also apologize to the young lady and the reporters that offended, in the midst in accomplishing a goal that could've been handled differently." Melonie suddenly stood up from her chair why walking around the table to stand in the front of the stage. Standing straight she bowed deeply to everyone in front of her, giving her sincerest apologies. Stunned by her actions I had no idea how to take in this sight of her. Looking down I noticed how tightly her fists were clinched. She didn't do this apology because she wanted to, she did it because she had to. A small feeling of respect started to form inside, but was interrupted with Jung-Hwa whispering into my ear. "Now do you see what I see…?" He said. I shooed him away no exactly sure what the hell he was talking about.

            Melonie walked back around towards her seat when Sajangnim took over the talking. "I know we promised to answer all your questions, but time is limited and Jun must finish with his activities for the day. Your questions will be answered by Ms. Carter in upcoming article, but I certain that most of them were answered today." He said with a slight smirk. "Please let us focus now on Jun's comeback for the summer. This one I can assure you won't be like any other you've ever seen before, now that we have the lovely Ms. Carter working for us with this project." Some of the reporters began to nod, satisfied with the events that took place today. I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that I could probably put this whole scene behind me now.

            As we were all walking off the stage I gently grabbed Melonie's elbow as she was passing by. She stopped looking up at me with curious brown eyes. "…Um. Thanks for doing that, I'm sure it couldn't have been easy for you." I said reluctantly. One word I thought I would never say to another person, and here I was saying it to her! She took her arm from my hand while patting my twice on the shoulder. "Sure thing chingu! (friend) Isn't it about giving the people what they want?" She said sarcastically before her false façade disappeared as she rolled her eyes and walked away. "Son of a…" Hiding my anger I followed after her. "Ya! Remember who got us here." I said catching up to her. "Remember who still needs me…" She said not missing a beat. "Excuse me, I'm not the one who bowed in front of hundred people." I said. "It's called being humble, haven't you ever heard of it? Oh wait…no." Her smartness seeping through ever word. "You know what I take back what I said before, you deserved everything you've been through today, not me!" I said while walking past her. "Funny….because I distinctly remember saving your back there. From what I remembered it wasn't quite going well when YOU had the mic. So keep it Mr. Bigshot, ill make sure to tell the press all about how "good" of a student you are in my upcoming interview." She said while using air quotations with her hands. "Whatever just keep up and stay out of my way for the rest of the day!" I said in annoyance.

            "There you two are!" Where hear from behind us. We both turned to see Sajangnim walking with Jung-Hwa, Hyuk-Shik, and some other business partners. Walking up to us his eyes settled on Melonie beside me. "Great job Ms. Carter, you really saved us back there." He said with an easy going smile. Even though Melonie skin was a light brown you could almost see the redness in her cheeks. "Just…Melonie is fine, and don't worry about it. It would gladly do it again if it meant causing you anymore trouble." She said bashfully. It was like her whole attitude changed as soon as he was near. They were both starting to get on my nerves with this. "Jun we should get going, your drama shooting is about to start soon." Jung-Hwa from beside me. "Dae (yes) let's get going." I said abruptly turning to leave.

            Walking towards the elevator I jabbed my finger into the down button. As I waited for the elevator to reach my floor, my phone started to vibrate again. Looking down I was not to surprised to see So-Young's name come blaring across my screen. Swiping the end button over I placed my back into my pocket, ignoring her call. "I really not in the mood to deal with her right now…" I thought as the elevator ding to its stop. the doors opened and I started to walk in. Sajangnim soon joined with everyone else. Everyone else besides Melonie that is… "Ms. Melonie are you not getting on?" I heard Hyuk-Shik ask. Everyone looked over at Melonie as she stood there with this conflicted look on her face. "Umm…you guys go ahead. I'll catch the next one." She said looking from side to side. "Nonsense. There's plenty of room for you to join, come." Sajangnim said while getting out to her onto the elevator himself. "It's fine really_" Before she could finish she was already on the elevator, with the doors swiftly closing behind her. She gasped taking in the situation before her. The look of panic marred her face, as the elevator began to descend. Her breathing started to become faster and faster. "Melonie are you all right?" Sajangnim asked concerned. "Y-yea I'm f-fine,  just a little dizzy is all." She said while leaning against the wall near me. Closing her eyes firmly, sweat started to form at the top of her forehead, making her look slightly sick. "Are you sure?" Jung-Hwa asked. "What was the big deal? The girl was only sweating." I thought, but something about the way she started to tremble made me start to think something else was going on. As soon as the elevator doors opened Melonie bowed slightly before rushing out without another word. Everyone looked at each other confused about what just happened.

            As we all stepped out heading in opposite directions Sajangnim walked over to me. "Where did Melonie go?" He asked. "I have no idea." I said looking around the lobby floor. "She might be in the bathroom… Just make sure she's ok before you take her to your filming. I would check up on her myself, but I have to run to a meeting." He said. He started to walk away when he stopped. "I hope you told her thank you for saving your Jun. If not you better…" With that he continued to walk away. "Geez whatever!!" I thought. "Where is she?" I asked Hyuk-Shik when he walked up. "She's in the bathroom, she'll be right out." He said, but looked behind him concerned. "What was her problem?" I thought, remembering how she almost ran out the elevator. All of a sudden thoughts came rushing back to me. She always took the stairs….always. Then earlier I caught he running up to the fifth-tenth floor! When I confronted her about being nervous around me in closed off areas, she started to laugh. She was either really weird or she… My eyes widened when it finally came to me. Melonie Carter was afraid of elevators…

***Oh No Jun finally figured out Melonie's secrect... What will he do now that knows? Your thought??***