Playing Dirty

Your Move

 

 

       Melonie

 

***Bang, Bang, Bang*** Jolted from my deep heavy slumber, I awoke from under the covers. I heard loud knocking again, and that’s when I knew someone was at the door. Reluctantly throwing the blankets off, I noticed something small fall to the floor beside me. Bending down I picked up what looked like a note.

I hope you don’t feel too hung over this morning. Give me a call when you wake. - J

The note was short and sweet, but I didn’t recognize the hand writing. “J?” I said confused, and that was when the first spasm of pain hit me at the temples of my skull. ***Knock, KnocK*** “I’m coming one minute!” I yelled immediately regretting the sound of my own voice. Throwing caution to the wind, I toppled through the small dorm towards the door before the visitor decided to knock again.

When I unlocked the door I was surprised to see a freshly showered Min-Jun standing there in a plan white T-shirt, and some designer jeans. “Good you’re up. I brought something for you.” He said while holding up a bag. “I’m not in the mood for visitors Min-Ju_” Before I could finish, Min-Jun waltzed in without another word. “Hey! I didn’t give you permission to come in. What if I was indecent?” I asked annoyed. He proceeded to give me a one over, and I could feel his eyes taking me in. “You look fine to me.” He said continuing to my small breakfast table to set down the bag in his hand. Not believing his words I looked down at myself realizing that I was wearing the same red dress I had on last night! The dress was no wrinkled from me sleeping in it last night, I could only imagine what my hair looked like… “You lair, I look like a crazy woman. Wait right here and don’t touch anything, I’m going to go clean up real quick.” I said rushing to my room. I swear I could hear him laughing behind me.

Ten minutes later I walk out of my room feeling like a completely different person besides the headache still pounding at my temples. I managed to throw on one of my big sweatshirts with some comfy shorts, and my hair was in a loose bun on top of my head. “What’s this?” I asked walking up to the small table. “It’s hangover soup, I thought you could use some this morning.” He said simply. I stared at him suspiciously trying to figure out his angle. “Thanks… I thought you’d have some morning activities on your schedule. How’d you manage to find time to grab this?” I asked pulling the delicious smelling soup towards me. “I did, but I succeeded in finishing most of them already.” He said with an amused smile. Confused I looked at the clock hanging on the wall above my small TV. “4PM?!” I said shocked. Even though I had nothing planned for the day, I still didn’t like making it a habit to sleep in late. “I asked everyone not to bother you, even Hyuk-Shik.” He said while passing me a spoon. “T-thanks…” I mumbled kind of touched.

“So how do you feel? I know you had a good bit last night.” He said leaning his arms against the table. “Besides this annoying headache and sore feet I feel fine.” I said taking the first spoonful of soup. It tasted so good I had to keep myself from from the delicious flavor. “This is great Min-Jun! Where’d you happen to find this?” I asked impressed. He smirked from my appreciation. “It was in the area at a small shop. It was no big deal.” He said. “Well thanks! I’ll have to find this place myself, and go sometime.” I said continuing to chow down.

We were silent for a little bit before Min-Jun asked, “Do you remember everything that happened last night? It got kind of crazy towards the end.” I paused from eating trying to think back to yesterday night. “Yeah, up till outside on the patio, then everything started to get hazy. Why? Did I end up on the news again? Please don’t tell me I’m in the news again!!” I said starting to panic. “No, no, I only meant that you seemed like you had a great time last night, though you might have to lay off the Tequila for a while.” He said not looking at me. Something seemed off by his reaction, which meant something did happen, and he wasn’t telling me. I remember being barred from entering the club because of So-Young, being peer pressured to drink a ton last night, dancing with Hye-Su, some of the conversation with Min-Jun out on the patio, and I think I might’ve argued with So-Young…

“Did I say or do anything out of character last night?” I asked concerned. He looked at me for a second before saying, “Nothing that I wouldn’t have said. Don’t worry about it she’ll get over it…eventually.” He said looking away. “Yeah, easy for you to say, she doesn’t hate your guts.” I said suddenly not hungry anymore. “Melonie she won’t bother you, Sajangnim is already keeping a close eye on her from the last stunt she pulled. She wouldn’t do anything stupid.” He said trying to reassure me. “I’ll believe it when I see it. By the way since we’re speaking of last night how did I end up getting home? Did Hye-Su take me, if so why’s her stuff still here?” I said confused. Min-Jun awkwardly cleared his throat before answering. “She um, she and uh Chaseung went home together last night.” He said looking embarrassed. I sat there shocked for a second. “…So much for being a best friend.” I said sarcastically. “Well if that was the case who brought me home then?” I asked confused. Suddenly I remembered the note I found on the floor this morning. “D-did you take me home last night?!” I asked with realization setting in. When he didn’t answer the worst possible thoughts came to mind. “We didn’t…you know.” I whispered from across the table. “What? No! I called you a driver to take you home last night. You probably don’t remember crashing when you first got home.” He explained. I knew he wasn’t telling me the whole truth, so I stood up to walk back into my room to retrieve the note.

“Well if you called me a driver last night Min-Jun then explain this!” I said flicking the note his way. “This was lying next to me this morning when I awoke from your loud banging at my door. So tell me the truth.” I said crossing my arms. For a split second Min-Jun looked like a cornered cat, until he suddenly took the note while towering over me. “You want to know the truth? Fine, I took you home!” My heart skipped a beat from his forwardness. “I secretly called my manager to pick us up, and driver us both home. Then I helped you upstairs to your room.” He said while standing unusually close. “T-then how’d you know my passwo_” “I got it from Hyuk-Shik.” He quickly added. “…but I never told_” “It doesn’t matter; you got here safe didn’t you?” He said cutting me off again. “Well yes, it’s just I don’t know what to say?” I said touched. “I figured you’d do this for someone like So-Young but not me. I suppose I owe you gratitude.” I said thankful. “Yeah, well don’t go expecting this to happen all the time. I hope you know this doesn’t change anything.” He said seriously. “Geez, I get it. I just wanted to know how I got back last night.” I said rolling my eyes.

Suddenly I had a flash back of last night. “You know, now that we’re talking about this, I do remember a little bit of you taking me home last night…” I said looking up at him. “Y-y-you do?! Ahem, I mean you do? ” He stuttered trying to stay neutral. “Yeah…I remember calling you Min-Jun in the car, but you kept telling me to call you “J” for some reason.” I said confused. A tense look past on Min-Jun’s face, but as quickly as it came it disappeared with a small smile. “It’s just a new nickname I wanted you to call me. Remember when we were on the patio talking? We both agreed you’d call me “J” from now on. It’s just shorter then Min-Jun.” He said simply. “I thought you didn’t like it when I called you anything other than Min-Jun?” I said calling him out. “I figured we’ve been around each other long enough. Besides it makes it seem like we’re getting along better to everyone around us.” He said while gently patting the bun on top of my head. I swatted his hand away. “The one thing you don’t do is touch a black girl’s hair, ok?” I said staring at him like he was crazy. “Haha, you’re funny. Listen I have to run to the studio for a bit, but I’ll be back to check on you when I’m done,” He said while making his way to the door. “You don’t need to_” He was out the door before I could even finish my sentence. “What was that boys deal today?” I thought as I sat down to finish the rest of the delicious soup he brought me.

 JUN

With a sigh of relief I lifted from off the door. I hated to lie to her like that, but there was no way I was going to tell her who kidnapped her last night. I still couldn’t believe hyung would do something like that. I’ve never seen him care about anyone or anything besides the family business. He’s been busting my balls ever since Melonie showed up. I could understand him wanting to be hospitable, but taking time out of his day to have coffee with anyone other than an executive seemed very odd…

Hoping into my car I started to make my way towards StarInc. My schedule was officially done for the day, but I had one last thing to take care of. The drive didn’t take long which I was thankful for because driving in work traffic was the absolute worst. As I drove into the parking lot I parked my car in my designated spot. When I walked into the building, it was bustling like any other day. People working till after six was pretty typical around here. Time never stopped, and neither did this place.

“Hyungnim I didn’t expect to see you here today?” I heard from behind me. Looking over my shoulder I see Hyuk-Shik looking at me accusingly. “Why wouldn’t I be here?” I asked with a long breath. “…Um, it’s just I thought you’d be a little tired with the events that took place last night. Did Miss Melonie and you have fun?” He said not looking me in the eyes. Looking down I could see his hand slightly clinch around his shoulder bag. “Was he upset about something?” I thought curiously. “Yeah, it was fun I probably won’t drink like that again for a while though. Things got a little crazy if you know what I mean…” I said patting him on the shoulder. His body tensed at my words. “I-is Miss Melonie doing alright? I understood that she didn’t want to be bothered this morning.” He said with a slightly frustrated look on his face. “Oh so you got my text, good. She’s recovering this morning, but I’m sure she’ll be fine in a couple of hou_” “Excuse me hyungnim for being blunt, but I just got done having an interesting conversation with sajangnim this morning. Just answer me this, did you leave Miss Melonie at Oasis last night?” He said finally looking me in the eyes. “What?” I asked shocked. “I’m asking if it’s true!” Hyuk-Shik said slightly raising his voice. Shocked I looked around to see if anyone else was paying attention to our conversation. Thankfully no one else was near the elevators. “What are you her boyfriend? Listen man, I don’t know what you’ve heard, but I can assure you none it is true.” I said trying to keep my anger in check. “I knew I should’ve gone last night, I don’t know why I listened to you. If I was there…” He paused in frustration. “Since you know everything now, what would you have done?” I asked stepping up to him. He backed up some, but continued to hold his ground. “I wouldn’t have left her alone for one! Do you know how dangerous that was?! I thought you finally started to change, but now I can see that you’re still the same old Song Min-Jun.” He said glaring at me. Out of everyone in this building Hyuk-Shik was the last person I thought would talk to me this way. Pissed I leaned close and said underneath my breath, “I’d watch the way you’re speaking to me right now. You have no idea what you’re talking about. Where’s your proof? You talked to the one person who makes it his personal life goal to make my life a living hell, and you believe every word he says?! So since you think the worst of me, and don’t believe a single thing I have to say why don’t you call Melonie yourself and ask her what happened?” I said pushing past him.

I was calm and collected when I first arrived here, but now I was pissed! It seemed no matter what I did I was always the bad guy according to hyung and everyone else. Pressing the up button on the elevator made me suddenly think of Melonie. I’ve been going crazy all day wondering what happened last night after she taken. She seemed as if she didn’t remember anything which was good, but I hated lying to her face about being the one to take her home. Maybe to everyone else I seemed heartless and cold, but for the first time in a long time I felt legitimate fear within me when I saw Melonie being whisked away like that. I would never admit that to anyone though, and I planned to take that to the grave with me.

The elevator dinged for me to step inside. Pressing the top floor button, I took a few extra breaths to calm myself down. When I finally arrived, I coolly stepped off the elevator to walk to the receptionist’s desk. Without looking up the young woman said, “What brings you here?” The tone in her voice seemed surprised, but her lack of eye contact made me think otherwise. “I’m not here to fight; I just need to speak with sajangnim for brief moment.” I said truthfully. She glanced up in my direction briefly before turning back to her computer screen. “Is it important? He has a meeting in fifteen minutes.” She said as she continued to click away at her computer. “Fifteen minutes is all I need.” I leaned over her receptionist desk, and she shot me a glare. I backed up giving her space. “Hold on…let me check to see if he’s available.” She said while dialing his extension. “Excuse me, CEO Song, but Min-Jun is here to have a brief meeting with you. Would you like for me to send him in?” She was quite for a few minutes listening to whatever was being said on the other line. Suddenly she ended the call. “He said that he’s not taking any unscheduled meetings at this time.” She said almost apologetic. Out of reflex my hands curled into fists. Quickly maintaining control I said, “It’s ok, thank you for asking.” If he thought by doing this he was punishing me he had another thing coming…

With a curt nod I backed away from the receptionist desk to turn to leave, I quickly reversed walking in the direction of hyung’s office. Bursting through the doors I immediately saw him sitting at his huge desk going over the documents before him. “Hey you can’t just barge into his office like_” “It’s ok Ms. Mai-Ren, let him in.” He said without even looking up from his papers. With a glare from the receptionist she closed the doors behind her.

“What can I do for you this afternoon Jun?” He asked in the same indifferent tone. I really wanted to come up here, and talk to him in a calm fashion, but looking at him now made me lose it. “What can you do for me?! How about you tell me what the hell happened last night for starters!” I said pissed. He sat up in his chair, no longer looking at his papers. “If you’re here to talk about that, then you can leave. I don’t have time for hurt feelings.” He said glaring at me. “Just answer the question!” I said stepping up to his desk. “Let me explain one thing to you Jun, there will never be a day where I have to explain myself to you. From what I saw you left a drunken Melonie sitting on the couch by herself while you were off doing what_” “Hyung you know that’s not true_” “Don’t interrupt me while I’m speaking to you, and you will be wise to address me as CEO Song while we are in this building!” He said in a commanding tone. “So-Young and you knew better then to go out without notifying me. Thankfully So-Young was the one that called to tell me about Melonie’s condition. Thus this is how I knew where you all were last night.” He said leaning back in his chair. “I had a feeling So-Young was the one that ratted me out last night, but for him to personally come and get Melonie didn’t add up.” I thought while trying to hold in my emotions. “The only reason why we all decided to go out last night was to get over everything that happened, and actually get to know one another and get along. I thought that was what you wanted.” I said irritated. “Yes, Jun I wanted Melonie and you to have a professional relationship.” He said putting emphasis on the word professional. Opening a draw he pulled out a small manila envelope, and slid it in my direction. Looking at him suspiciously I picked up the envelope to see what was inside. Pulling out what appeared to be photos of various occasions where I was out working, until I flipped to the last couple of photos with me and Melonie. These photos were taken last night when Melonie and I were talking out on the patio. As I continued to look through with disgust, I saw on where we were standing close and smiling, and another one with us holding hands. I knew us holding hands didn’t mean anything, but I had no idea how intimate it looked. I threw the photos back towards him with disgust. “You’re following me now?!” I questioned feeling betrayed on another level. “Isn’t it obvious? I follow all my top artists, especially the ones that cause me headaches every other day. These pictures Min-Jun are a warning, and a wakeup call.” He said while folding his hands in front of himself as if he was pleased about all of this. “What that my own brother is a deranged business man, that likes to bud into my private life?!” I said raising my voice. “This pissed me off so much! Where did he get off thinking that he had the right to spy on me without my permission?” I thought angrily.

“I understand why you are upset, which is why I’m allowing you to speak so informal to me, but don’t forget why you’re here Min-Jun. You have an image to uphold, as does this company, so forgive me if I take a few extra precautions when it comes to my artists. Don’t forget I hold your future in my hands.” He said with a smug smile. “How can you sit there and say that to me when you know those pictures don’t mean anything! I only held Melonie’s hand to keep her steady as we walked outside to talk. There’s nothing remotely romantic going on between the two of us.” I said, but felt wrong for saying so out loud. He seemed to pick up on my hesitation. “Jun, since when have you ever helped someone else other than yourself? You have been in my office time and time again because you can’t seem to work with anyone else unless it’s going your way. Now these pictures might not mean anything to you, but what would happen if someone else outside this office saw them? I had an emotional So-Young call me last night saying that her boyfriend was holding hands, and spending time with his dance choreographer.” He explained as if he was talking to a child. “So-Young isn’t a princess hyung, so quit acting like her feelings mean anything to you. Just admit the real reason you came last night. Based on what I know now, you were probably just waiting for me to screw up so that you could swoop in and be the hero for Melonie. You would never personally come and pick up your lady friends for any reason other than business.” “Don’t forget pleasure.” He said smirking. Ignoring his comment I continued, “You know I’ve been trying to wrap my head around how you talk and act around Melonie, and now I know why. You like her don’t you?” Hyung’s smile fell slightly form my comment. This was the first time I felt like I got to him in this whole conversation. To my surprise he started to laugh.

Standing from his desk he walked around with his hands in his suit pockets to come stand in front of me. Standing toe to toe at 6’1” my brother and I were impressive when it came to height. He looked me in the eyes with his cold black ones and said, “You’re not as dumb as I thought. I’ll admit she does intrigue me because she’s not like other women I know. While I value her friendship, I value her safety even more. Walking into that club last night and finding her that way angered me beyond reason. You disappointed me little brother, and for that reason I felt that my actions were just last night. It was obvious she was inebriated, so I took it upon myself to take her home while you were downstairs doing who knows what. Matter of fact I should be getting a phone call from her soon.” He said bragging. A small smile formed at my lips. “What’s so amusing?” He asked not understanding the humor in the conversation. “Nothing…it’s just like you said she was super out of it last night, so she probably doesn’t remember that you were the one that took her home last night.” I said eyeing him carefully. “What makes you so sure about that?” He said confidently. Pulling the note out of my back pocket I held it between us. For the first time Song-Min-Jae broke his hard composure. His jaw worked as he glared at the note he gave Melonie last night. “Where did you get that?” He asked eyeing me down. Unaffected by his hostility I crossed my arms in front of my chest playing it cool. “Funny, Melonie handed it to me when she thanked me for getting her home safely.” I said arrogantly. To my surprise he reached up to grab my shoulder. “Well played little brother, but I’m sure she’ll be even more thrilled to find out that you lied to her. Here I was thinking that you two were just now getting along…” He said sarcastically. My smile faded from his threat. Brushing his hand off my shoulder I threw his challenge out of mind. “What does it matter anyway? I’m not interested in becoming her knight in shining armor, I just don’t want her to get close enough to know the real you. Besides why would she be interested in her boss?” I said truthfully. “How would you know for sure? Have you asked her that yourself Jun?” He said chuckling to himself. “Why would I be interested in something like that? I wouldn’t exactly call us close…” I said looking away. “Good. Keep it that way.” He said his words resolute. “Matter of fact maybe you should start caring more about your own relationship than worrying about my budding interests in your choreographer. I heard So-Young was still pretty upset about what happened last night, and I want you to fix the mess you’ve created.” He said. “What if is refuse?” I said staying resilient. “You make it seem like you have a choice. Jun let me explain a little something to you. If So-Young and you break up all the endorsements that you received will cease, and that won’t make me happy. You two are an expensive commodity right now, and I intend to keep everything on track. If you decided not to make up with her, and lose everything we worked for, then I’m afraid you’ll no longer be of any use to me, and you know exactly what I do to useless people around me don’t you?” He said with an evil smirk. “You can’t be serious…” I said in disbelief. “Oh, I’m 100% serious Jun.” “How could you do this to you me, I’m your brother! If father was here he would’ve never let you take over knowing who you’ve become.” I said bewildered. “As you can see father isn’t here, I am. Family and business are two separate things, and I tend to maintain that way of thinking.” He said smugly. The sudden urge to deck him in the face ran across my mind. “Now if you have nothing else to discuss, then see yourself out my office. I have a meeting in five minutes, and I don’t intend on entertaining you any longer.” He said dismissing me.

Afraid of what I might do, I abruptly burst through his doors to leave. I didn’t even bother to close them as I left. “That can rot in hell!” I thought furiously. His receptionist hurried from her desk to close his doors behind me. I didn’t even bother taking the elevator down. I needed to cool myself off, so I took off towards the exit of the stairs. I took the stairs two at a time, all the way up to the roof of the building. I couldn’t be inside anymore, I needed some air. Walking over to the railing of the roof, I looked down at the city below me. Everyone seemed to have control over their lives except me. No matter how hard I try I knew things were never going to change between my brother and I. He knew how to get under my skin, and hit me where it hurts. He knows how important my career is to me, that’s why he believes that he can control me. I would do almost anything for my career even if it meant defying my brother. One thing was clear I knew what he wanted, and I’d planned to do everything in my power to make sure he doesn’t get Melonie…