Girls Night Out!

Your Move

      Melonie 

​“I already told you it wouldn’t fit!” I said frustrated as I tried on multiple dresses that my childhood best friend Hye-Su brought over after work. “Oh hush, you’re not even trying to it in!” She argued back. It wasn’t even an hour since we’ve been reunited, and we’re already acting like time hadn’t passed between us. “Hye-Su I can’t breathe!” I complained. She huffed in defeat. “Fine, just take it off we’ll find something else for you to wear.” “Yeah, but we’ve already been going through this for about an hour. Besides, aren’t we supposed to meet up with everyone at a certain time?” I pleaded. I’ve always been a punctual person, I guess I could thank my father for that, but as I stared at myself in the mirror trying to force myself inside these tight dresses, the thought of going out started to seem less and less fun. “Can’t I wear my cut off shorts, and a tube top?” I asked thinking that would fit my style way better. “Absolutely not! We’re going to club Oasis, which is where most celebs, and rich people like to party. You can’t just walk in there looking like that…” Her words stung, but I understood where she was coming from. I had to dress to impress, or get ridiculed for wearing something cheap. I sighed knowing that there was no way I was going to win this argument. “Ok I’ll try on one more dress. Happy?” I asked felling the opposite. She bounced with excitement. “Yes! I have just the right dress to make all the heads turn.” She said going through her bag she brought over to spend the night. I tried to refrain from rolling my eyes. “If it has sequence on it then it’s an automatic no from me.” I said taking off the dress that didn’t work. “Same old Melonie…I swear you won’t let me have any fun.” She said still rummaging through her bag. 

​All of a sudden, my phone started to buzz. Looking over at the screen it read Cutie Sajangnim. “What could he possibly need at an hour like this?” I thought while picking up my phone to answer. “H-hello…” I answered still trying to slip out of the dress. “Melonie?” A deep voice answered on the other end. “Yes, is there something wrong sajangnim?” I asked politely. “No, no, nothing is wrong I was just calling to see how your week went is all.” He quickly inquired. I looked over my shoulder to see if Hye-Su was listening, but she was too busy rummaging through her bag. “Excuse me one second sajangnim.” I said while hurrying out of the room towards the bathroom. Letting out a breath I held the phone back up to my ear. “M-my week has been going by great! Actually, too great…it seems as though Min-Jun has been on his best behavior. I hope you didn’t get on to him too much in your meeting last week.” I said smiling. “It seems the punishment I picked out for him was successful.” He said humored on the other end. “Forgive me Melonie, I didn’t actually tell Jun what his penalty was, I kind of secretly left that up to you.” He said honestly. “I think that was the best thing you could have given him. He’s been on my good side all week. Though I personally don’t believe in punishment, I think he got the idea.” I said. “Well that’s good news to hear… Other than that, what do you have planned for yourself this weekend?” He asked casually. “Funny you ask that, I was just getting ready to spend the night out with my best friend from grade school. We haven’t seen each other in years, so this will be a great chance for us to catch up.” I said leaving out the fact that we were also going out with Min-Jun and So-Young. He paused before saying, “That’s great! I’m glad you guys were able reunite. It’s always nice to have friends close by for when you need them…like me for example. Don’t be afraid to call if you need anything, or if you’re just looking for someone to talk to from time to time. I want your time in Korea to be as enjoyable as possible.” He said sincerely on the end. I swear my heart skipped a beat from his words. “He’s so nice and caring. Unlike someone…” I thought. “Thank you, I’ll be sure to keep that in mind sajangnim.” “I don’t want to keep you from getting ready, I just wanted to make a brief call to check in with you.” He said. “You’re not keeping me, in fact you’re really saving me. My friend Hye-Su is making me try on all these ridiculous dresses.” I said while rolling my eyes. All of a sudden light knocking was coming from the other end of the bathroom door. “Mel look I found the perfect dress for you!” Hye-Su said excitedly from outside. “Heh, speak of the devil there she is. I have to go, but thanks for the call.”  “Sure thing! Have fun, and be safe.” He said before hanging up. 

Opening the door Hye-Su almost fell in as I caught her listening on the other side. “Can I help you?” I asked amused. Picking herself off the ground she straightened. “Ahem…who was that, your boyfriend?” She asked suddenly. My eyes widened by her assumption. “What? No, that was my boss.” I said making my way back towards the bedroom. “Why would he be calling you this late? Is there something wrong?” She asked concerned. “Nah, he was just checking in on how the week went with me and my client.” I said not giving everything away. “You mean Lee Min-Jun? You still haven’t told me what he’s like…come on what gives, spill the beans woman!” She said with anticipation. “I can’t tell you.” I said avoiding the question. “Why not?!” She said dropping on my bed pouting. “It’s for the safety and discretion of my client. I can’t just go around spouting off everything about who I work with. Did you find the dress you were looking for by the way?” I said trying to change the subject. “Tch, yeah. You’re going to look great in this dress.” She said pulling a y red dress from behind her. “…oh no.” I said slowly backing away from her. “Where are you going Ms. Thing, you’re going to try this on.” Hye-Su said while stalking towards me. “That dress looks like it wouldn’t be able to hold all of me.” I said trying to plead my case. “Don’t be silly, you and I are almost the same size, except you have a little more than I do.” She said winking at me. I cracked a smile even though I wasn’t trying to, Hye-Su just had that type of effect on me somehow. 

​“Hand, it here…” I said defeated. “Yay!” She said happy with my decision. Slipping the dress over my head, it was easier to get into than the ones I tried earlier. Putting it on all the way, it fit like a glove as it hugged all my curves, basically leaving nothing to the imagination. “Doesn’t this dress seem a little bit revealing?” I asked inspecting the rest of the dress. “Are you insane?! That dress fits you perfectly, I mean look at your s!” She said bluntly. I blushed while looking at myself in the mirror. The red bodycon dress did fit me perfectly, as it wrapped around my body, exposing more than enough cleavage. “Yeah, but aren’t you worried I might stretch out your dress?” I pressed. She came up behind me, while looking at me through the mirror. “Look at yourself Mel…you look beautiful, and I’m not just saying that. I know we’ve been separated these last couple of years, but you have been my best friend ever since. I want you to wear this dress with confidence! Hell, I bet not even one man tonight will be able to keep his eyes off of you.” She said smiling at me through the mirror. If I was any shade lighter she’d be able to tell that I was blushing. “Thanks, Hye-Su you always know what to say.” I said turning to give her a hug. “Don’t worry about it…now hurry up so I can help you with your hair.” She said ushering me along. “You sure you’re going to be able to do anything with this mess, we don’t exactly have the same type of hair...” I said referring to my head. “…I-it’s not that bad. It’s almost like a perfect bee hive on top of your head.” “Oh Hush.” I said laughing. I looked at myself one last time in the mirror before heading towards the bathroom. 

​An hour and a half later the both of us were looking border line celebrity status with our hair and makeup finally finished. Hye-Su was wearing a white off the shoulder midi dress with a slit exposing her mid-thigh, and gold tinted high heels to finish the deal. My hair was now perfectly coiffed around my shoulders. Hye-Su lent me a small diamond necklace that looked quite expensive, but I didn’t want to get into another discussion so I took it without complaint. I had to admit, we did look pretty hot, not to mention who we were going to be hanging out with tonight, which I had no doubt that people would be talking about us so why not look the part? I decided without complaint. 

​“Our taxi will be here any minute, are you ready?” Hye-Su asked while coming in from the other room. “Oh thanks, I almost forgot how we were getting there.” I said aimlessly trying to gather my things. I knew from the corner of my eye that she was watching me. Ignoring her concerned look I busied myself in the other room. “Mel, are you ok? I’m sorry if I might have offended you earlier with my comments, I sometimes talk without thinking of my words beforehand.” Hye-Su said apologetically. My lips bloomed into a small smile. I knew she didn’t mean anything by it, but she was the type of person who it was impossible to be mad at. “Come here…” I said while opening my arms wide for her to come in for a hug. “Sometimes it’s just hard for some people to hear the truth. I for one am lucky to have a friend like you to remind and keep me from doing some stupid .” I said with a slight laugh. She lifted from me with a smile of her own. “Good, enough with the feels, it’s time to get lit!” She said while making her way to the door. “Lit? Who’s been teaching my Hye-Su American slang?” I joked while pretending to be shocked. She looked back with a slight glare. “What rock have you been under, girl I know all the words…even the freaky ones.” She said before both of us busted out laughing. “Naughty girl come on here before you get me in trouble.” I said ushering her out to lock the door. 

Hye-Su started to turn to walk down towards the elevator. I paused forgetting that we had one up here. “Um, Hye-Su?” I called out trying to get her attention. She looked over her shoulder. “Do you mind if we take the s-stairs this time.” She looked at me then back at the elevator. Without questioning she turned to walk in the other direction towards the stairs. When she came near, I reached out and slightly grabbed her hand. “Thank you…” I whispered gratefully. “Don’t mention it friend, but I don’t know about taking the stairs when we come back.” She said with a giggle. I couldn’t help but smile at her foreshadowing as we reached the bottom of the stairs to walk outside. 

“There’s the car.” Hye-Su said while pointing up ahead at a silver car waiting. While she strutted her way towards the car, I on the other hand was walking more carefully to not try and back my neck in these one inch stiletto heels. I’ve worn heels only a handful of times throughout my life because I could never get the hang of them, or understand why some women wore heels at the most inconvenient times. “I mean how the hell was I going to dance in heels?!” I thought as I finally made my way to the car. “Hurry up woman, or we’re going to be late!” Hyu-Su commented from inside the car. When I finally made it inside the driver turned to politely ask Hye-Su where we were going. I didn’t take offense that he didn’t ask me for the destination. He probably thought I didn’t understand any Korean, but it was always amusing to surprise them. “Please, take us to Club Oasis, sir.” I said in Korean before Hye-Su could answer. He looked at me slightly shocked, but slightly bowed his head before turning to drive us away.

On the way to club Oasis I got a text from Hyuk-Shik, “Hey, I’m sorry to be the one to do this, but I have a personal matter that I need to attend to so I won’t be able to come out with you all tonight. Please forgive me…” Staring at the text and reading it seemed odd. This afternoon he seemed all gung-ho about coming out with us, but now he’s bailing?! “I hope everything is ok… Don’t worry about tonight; there will be other opportunities to hang out with each other I’m sure. =D” I texted back. Putting my phone away, I had a strange feeling Min-Jun had something to do with this. “I’m gonna rip him a new one if I find out he was the one that caused Hyuk-Shik not to be able to come.” I thought angrily. “What’s wrong?” Hye-Su asked concerned. “Hmm, oh nothing just work stuff.” I lied while putting my phone away. 

​“Is there anything I should know about this place before we get here?” I asked trying to provide conversation in the now quite car. “Well it’s one of the more upstanding clubs in the area. There’s a lower floor where all the regular non-celebrities party, and then there’s upstairs… Everyone knows that the upper level is where it’s at, but it’s not easy to get into unless you know someone. Luckily for us enough we have that problem solved with your friend from work_” “I wouldn’t say we’re friends…” I interrupted. “What? How can you guys not be friends? I heard Ju_” I slap her leg gently preventing her to finish her sentence. “Hye-Su, I don’t need everybody knowing who I work with.” I said feeling flustered. “Girl, the world already knows! How do you think I knew you were back in town?” “Shush, keep your voice down!” I said when I noticed the driver staring at us through the rearview mirror. “Whatever, if I was you I’d be bragging to everyone who I work with. I bet it’s hard not to stare at him all day long.” She said mischievously. “Ugh more like want to strangle.” I said quietly. “What’s so bad about him? I heard he’s a genius in the studio. Not only writing songs for him, but producing for other artists, tv shows, and movies too! Sounds like you’ve hit the jackpot.” She said with hinge of jealousy. “Believe me, it’s not all s and giggles dealing with him, and you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about tonight…” I said while staring out the window.

“Well regardless let’s just have fun, besides the first round of shots is on you.” She said jokingly.  “How’s that, I thought I was the one getting treated?” I said while trying to sound hurt. “Oh stop! You know a teacher’s salary isn’t all that. It’s a struggle my friend.” She said. “Yeah I agree. If teachers were paid more, maybe it would give them more reasons to care more for their students. The education system in the states has really gone downhill.” I said sadly. “Yeah, that’s right you went back to the United States during your senior year.” Hye-Su said deeply sighing. “Ya know I really did miss you when you went away. I wished we would’ve kept up more with each other. So much time has passed…” I looked over at her, seeing the hurt in her eyes. I leaned over and nudged my arm into her shoulder. “Hey, I’m here now, and we can make up for lost time starting now.” I said smiling her way. “You’re right Look at me getting all emotional.” She said sniffing while wiping away a tear. “Look! We’re here!” She said while pointing out the window. “Ajusshi if you could please drop of off here.” I said while handing him a couple of bills to cover the ride. Hye-Su opened her door and got out. I slide out her side so I wasn’t walking in the street. After closing the door behind me, I turned around sealing my fate for the night. 

“We just need to get in that line right there, and we’ll be inside in no time.” Hye-Su said pulling me along. Looking around I felt everyone’s eyes on me. Sure I was a foreigner, but I was also a black woman in a bright red dress! “Hopefully no one recognizes me from the news, and scandals going on around me right now.” I whispered to Hye-Su as we got into line. “Relax, it’ll be fine. So what if someone recognizes you, that means your famous right? Plus you look hot AF right now.” She said giving me a wink. I nodded in agreement, but was still trying to convenience myself otherwise. Taking in a few deep breathes; I was trying to prepare myself for the night. “I hope things go well…I really don’t need any more drama from So-Young, or Min-Jun for that matter.” I thought nervously. 

“Look it’s almost our turn, get out your ID.” Hye-Su said from beside me. Reaching into my wallet I pulled out my American ID for the bouncer. I knew eventually I would have to get another one made for Korea. When it was our turn to be checked, the bouncer gave Hye-Su and I an appreciative look. “How are you ladies doing tonight?” He asked in a causal tone in Korean. “We’re doing great! My best friend from America is visiting me, so were here to have some fun tonight.” Hye-Su said in a flirty tone. His eyebrows peeked up with interest. “Oh, is that right?” He said looking over at me. “Yes, I heard this was the best place to party.” I said in Korean while following Hye-Su’s lead. He seemed surprised by Korean, eagerly taking my ID. “Well you heard right pretty lady. Let me just check something these real quick, and I’ll get you ladies right in.” He said politely while standing next to a black light to check the authenticity of our ID’s. His face seemed puzzled when he proceeded to check mine. He suddenly pulled out a clipbook from his podium from where he was standing to look up something. When he found whatever he was looking for his face looked slightly disappointed. “Is something the matter?” I asked politely. With a heavy sigh he came back over towards us handing back our ID’s. “Unfortunately I can’t let you in Miss.” He said to me apologetically. My face fell with disappointment. “May I ask why? We’re supposed to meeting some people here tonight, and I’d hate to have to cancel without a valid reason…” I said confused. He avoided my eyes when he said, “It’s your clothing miss. We have a strict dress policy_” “Bull! I saw a girl go in 5 minutes ago who was wearing a dress that barely covered her !” Hye-Su said upset. “I’m sorry. You can go in miss, but I have to ask your friend to step out of line.” The bouncer said looking uncomfortable now. “It’s ok Hye-Su we can go somewhere else. There’s no need to make a scene.” I said trying to keep my own anger in check. “That’s insane! Who was the guest that said she couldn’t get in? I saw you looking at your clip board back there.” Hye-Su said calling him out. “I’m sorry, but I can’t tell you that...” He said. He opened the rope to let us out of line. 

At this point I was beyond embarrassed. People behind us were whispering and snickering to themselves at our situation. I thought So-Young and Min-Jun wanted me to come tonight. Why was I being denied entry now?! Considering my options, the best one was me stepping out of line. Tugging on Hye-Su’s hand I pulled her towards the other side of the rope. “Melonie is that you?!” I heard a deep voice call from behind me. Shocked I stopped in my tracks to look over my shoulder. My eyes widened at the sight of a devilishly handsome Lee-Min-Jun standing before me…