The Offer

Your Move

Melonie

A week a has passed and everything seemed to calm down for a while. I was back to doing what I did best, while Min-Jun seemed to be uncharacteristically obedient… I don’t know what it was that got to him, but this whole week he’s been on time to all of our dance practices. He even took the stairs with me without question after our morning runs. It was like he did a complete 180, and I barely had to lift a finger. All of this was fine and good, but a part of me was starting to get concerned about his recent behavior. “I mean come on, this was Min-Jun we’re talking about here.” I thought as I pressed the pause button on my MP3 player to cease the music. “What’s up, I thought we were going again?” Min-Jun said out of breath. I looked over to see him walking over to take a drink from his water bottle. I noticed how sweaty his body was from the way his shirt stuck to his body like a second skin. I had to admit from the time that Min-Jun and I had been working together, it was pretty hard not to stare at his super fit body. “Ahem…” I jerked from the sound of Jun clearing his voice.  “I-I thought we could both use a breather.” I said adverting my eyes. “Did he see me staring?” I thought embarrassed. “Thank goodness!” He said flopping down to the ground. “I thought my legs were going to fall off.” He complained. “Enjoy it while you can, we still have four more hours of practice.” I said. “Don’t remind me.” He said laying on his back. I shook my head at him.

            “Are you doing alright?” I asked sitting down beside him with a water of my own. Peeking over he gave me a confused expression. “Other than the fact that every part of my entire body is on fire, yeah I’m fine.” He said sarcastically. “No, that’s not what I meant.” I said rolling my eyes. “I was asking if everything is alright with you. You’ve been acting quite strange this whole week…” I said just flat out asking him.  “Strange…how?” He asked confused. I shrugged my shoulders. “I don’t know you’ve just been acting out of character ever since you came back from that meeting with sajangnim.” I said honestly. He suddenly sat up startling me. “Out of character? No, Melonie this is just the real me. What you see is what you get_” I interrupted him with the “bull” look on my face. “What?” He asked. “Come on Min-Jun stop pulling my leg. What’s really going on here?” I said sick of the run around.  He looked at me for a second before sighing. “Alright fine, the real reason why I’m acting this way is because…sajangnim said that you would be picking my punishment for what happened last week. I’ve been waiting for you to pick, that’s why I’ve been trying to get on your good side.” He confessed.

            I sat there confused. “Punishment?” I said not quite understanding what he was going on about. “Min-Jun I don’t punish people, I only make them work hard, and make them into damn good dancers.” I said truthfully. “You mean you’re not going to give me corporal punishment?” He said a bit wary. I started to laugh. “Me? No, if I was going to do something like I’d just let you meet my dad.” I said still giggling. “W-why? What does you dad do exactly.” He asked his voice trembling slightly. “Oh, my dad…he’s a Sargent in the military. Now he’s the type of person to turn boys into men… Just imagine if he knew what happened to me a week ago.” I said trying to spook him out. It seemed I got the reaction I was looking for because Min-Jun looked like he turned a shade lighter. “Haha relax, that man is so old fashioned he still gets his news from the papers instead of watching regular television.” I said trying to ease his fear. “Have you talked to your dad recently?” He asked curiously. I cringed from the question. “Actually, to be quite honest…he doesn’t even know I’m back in Korea.” I said truthfully. Min-Jun quietly took this in while nodding to himself. “I’m sure you have your reasons.” He said not asking anymore into it. I had to admit over the past week Jun has been really good at minding his own business, and that was something that I really needed right now.

            “Yeah, well I’m out of water, and I kind of want and energy drink. Do you want one?” I asked. He seemed kind of put off by my offer. “Um, no thanks I’m trying to stay away from sugars at the moment.” He said sadly. “Why, are you on a diet or something?” I questioned. “…or something.” He replied vaguely. “Ok…” I answered while already walking out of the studio. “I’ll be back.” I called out. Once I was in the hallway I looked both ways to make sure no one was looking before talking the stairs downstairs. I regretted how I had to do that every time I needed to go somewhere. “I’ve always wished I could be normal, and fit in like other people, but because of this crippling ‘fear” I have there was no way that would be happening anytime soon.” I thought as I descended the stairs.

            Once on the second floor, I slowly opened the heavy door to peak out into the hallway. There were two people talking, but they were facing in the other direction. Sighing with relief, I easily slipped into the hallway without anyone noticing me coming out of the stairwell. Looking around the floor, it didn’t open up until you walked down the hall some. Rounding the corner, I saw an open cafeteria, with a lounge sitting off not too far off in another room. Seeing some vending machines, I decided head over to get a Gatorade. While I was reaching into my pocket for some change, I noticed two pairs of angry eyes staring right at me from outside the door. Clearing my throat, I decided to carrying on with my task, when the owner of the angry eyes decided to stand in my personal space. Without looking over I politely asked, “Is there something that I can help you with?” With a huff she said angrily, “Are you saying you don’t recognize me?” I turned to look at her. “No, I didn’t say that. I asked was there something I could help you with…” I asked again while looking her in the eyes. With an uninterested flick of her wrist she looking over at her manager, who I just noticed was standing, and said, “Do you mind keeping a lookout, while Ms. Carter and I have a quick chat.” Without another word her manager plainly walked out of room while closing the door along with him. Sighing inwardly, I reach down to grab the drink I just purchased. “So, how’s practice going?” She asked not really interested in the answer. “Great now that there’s no one interrupting us.” I said with a smile. With a glare she slowly walked over to have a seat in one of the chairs. Following her every move I decided to continue to stand. “It’s So-Young, right?” I asked making sure I got her name right.

            Flipping her long hair over her shoulder she replied, “The one and only.” I tried to hide in my laughter from her ridiculous behavior. “Well So-Young what did you want to talk about, I’m all ears.” I said looking over at the clock on the wall. “You and Jun have been working very hard over the past week…don’t you think the two of you need a break?” She said crossing her thin legs. “A break?” I started to laugh at this notion. “Min-Jun has only started learning the dance routines I have for him. Quite honestly there’s more work that needs to be done, but thanks for worrying about us.” I said opening my drink. “I don’t think you heard me correctly Ms. Carter.” “No, I heard you just fine, and please call me Melonie.” I said politely. There was a pause before she suddenly hopped out of her chair. “I want you to release Jun for the rest of the day. It’s a Friday, and people should be able to have some free time now and then, don’t you think? Besides I heard Jun gave up one of his free days to hang out at one of your little dance classes, surely you could be “nice” enough to lend me him for just a day.” She said standing in front of me. “Was this girl serious right now?” I thought while I tried not to stare at her like she was crazy. “I’m sorry So-Young I wish I could just do that, but I can’t.” I said with a shrug of my shoulders. She didn’t seem too pleased with my answer. “And why is that?” She asked annoyed. “Listen, aren’t you in a band of you own? When you guys are getting ready for YOUR comebacks do you all practice a lot?” I asked simply. “Yes but_” “Ok so I’m sure you can understand how hard Min-Jun is trying to prepare for a comeback of his own right?” I asked. “Yes, but all he does is work. That can’t possibly be healthy…I’m just thinking about his well-being, considering I’m his girlfriend and all.” She said while looking at her nails in a bored fashion. “I’m sure Min-Jun is capable of looking out for his own well-being, but you’re more than welcome to have him after our practice is over with.” I said trying to be reasonable. “Yah, I’ve try being nice, but you’re not being very cooperative right now.” She said informally.

            I sighed knowing that this was going to get us nowhere with us going back and forth like this. “I just wished she understood that everything didn’t always go her way.” I thought disappointedly. “And why can’t I go in there?” A deep voice said outside the door. So-Young and I both looked over towards the door. Suddenly it opened, with Min-Jun stepping inside. “Hey what’s taking you so long…” He trails off while looking at the both of us. “Oh, hey So-Young did you finish with your schedule for the day?” He asked casually. The tension in the room was so thick that you could cut it with a knife. Walking over So-Young casually put her arm around Min-Jun. “Yes, I was just chatting with your choreographer over here trying to see if she’d let you go a little early today.” Min-Jun’s expression turned to discomfort when he looked down at her arm on his side. Smoothly stepping from her reach, he walked over to the vending machines. “Is that so, and what did Ms. Melonie say?” I cringed at the Ms. “She basically said no, but I was hoping you’d be able to convince her that you need a break. I just wanted to have a night out with my boyfriend, and she’s holding you hostage.” “Hostage?” I said incredulously. “She’s not holding me hostage So-Young, I’m working just like you should be.” He said. “Like I said, I’m done for the day, and I just wanted to go out to let off some steam. You know go to one of our favorite night clubs like we used to do.” She said pouting at him. “I can’t we’re still working_” “How about you invite her along too. This could be a great opportunity for all of us to start over, and become friends.” She said before turning to give me a forced smile. “The media would eat that up…It would be good if we all looked like we were getting along.” Min-Jun said thinking out loud. As much as I wanted to say no…the idea of looking good to the public again did sound like a pretty good idea. Knowing that the decision came down to me I sighed in contempt. “Well…?” So-Young asked. “It doesn’t sound bad, but where exactly would we be going?” I asked. “Just the hottest nightclub in Gangnam. Only the hottest celebs can get in.” She bragged. “I’m not a celeb.” I said discouraged. “We’ll get you in, right Junnie?” She said while looking over at him expectantly. Looking between the two of us he nervously scratched the back of his head. “I’m mean sure…we could all use a break.” He said agreeing.

            All of this was fine and good, but why did I feel like So-Young was planning something besides a great night out. I’m not saying that I haven’t been out to fancy nightclubs, I didn’t really pack anything for something like that. I’ve been so focused on working on the choreography for the past couple of weeks, I’ve completely forgotten what it felt like to have a good time without stressing. Who knows this could turn out great with everyone having fun, or everyone could end up on the news again from more drama. Looking over to Min-Jun for an answer, his expression was blank while he continued to advert his eyes. “I guess the idea wouldn’t be all bad, we could all finally get to know one another outside of work, but I have one condition though…” I said deciding. “Sure anything!” So-Young said excitedly. I knew it was an act for Min-Jun, but I continued on anyway. “I’ll end practice an hour earlier if get to invite a few friends.” I said. “Sure, Sure. The more the merrier. Who do you have in mind?” She asked. “Just my best friend, and my assistant Hyuk-Shik_” “No way!” Min-Jun objected. “And why not?” I asked glaring at him. “He’d cramp the mood following you all night.” “He doesn’t follow me around Min-Jun, he’s my assistant. He’s just doing his job, like some of us should be doing right now.” I said annoyed. “Yeah, but why would you want invite someone like him though. I just don’t understand.” He said confused. “It’s because he’s actually a pretty good guy, and he’s been one of the people who’ve consistently nice to me since I’ve been here.” I barked back. “Please, I would love to refrain from puking the whole night without having to watch his puppy love for you.” He retorted. I clenched my fists. I really didn’t appreciate the way Min-Jun was talking about Hyuk-Shik. “If he doesn’t come along Min-Jun, then you can kiss this night out goodby_” “Ok, ok he can come, right Junnie?” So-Young quickly responded. Min-Jun huffed before walking towards the door. “Fine, but don’t expect me to be all smiles and sunshine when I get there.” He said before walking out. “Yay! Then it’s settled I’ll have my manager send you the details for later.” So-Young said excitedly. “Oh, and don’t forget to wear something cute…” She said looking me up and down, before she left to follow Min-Jun. “That …” I thought. I sighed knowing that this was going to be a long night…    

 ***Uh, oh what's in stored for the gang? A night of fun, or drama...?****