New Friend

Your Move

Melonie

            Stepping outside of my dorm I stretched preparing for my morning run. I couldn’t believe a month had passed since I first came back to South Korea. Ever since that night I went out with Min-Jun, everything seemed to have calmed down. Not to long after that it appeared that Min-Jun and So-Young finally made up from that night’s misunderstandings. I don’t know why their reunion bothered me so much. Maybe I thought Min-Jun could do better, or maybe those two were perfect for each other. Either way it was none of my business, but to my surprise So-Young begrudgingly apologized to me for calling me out of my name the other night one day after practice. I took her apology with a grain of salt knowing she was only doing that for Min-Jun and the public eye, but deep down inside I knew she would always hate me. All I could say was more power to her. There’s no way I would spend all my time and energy hating someone, unless they were… 

*beep, beep* Looking up I’m surprised to see CEO Song parked on the side of the road. “Hello Melonie how are you this morning?” He asked in a chipper mood. I bowed slightly while looking around curiously. “Good morning sajangnim I’m doing well. This is a pleasant surprise, what brings you around here this early in the morning?” I asked politely.  He gave me a slight smirk which made me slightly swoon. “I was actually on my way to the office, and I noticed the dorms along the way, but since you’re here I wanted ask if you would like a ride to the office this morning?” He asked in a friendly manner. A warm smile spread across my face. “Actually I_” “Sorry, but she’s a little busy this morning.” A deep husky voice interrupted from behind me. Looking over my shoulder I saw Min-Jun glaring over me towards the car. He looked nicely dressed in slim fitting sweat pants, a red Supreme shirt, with a matching red hat turned backwards. I could still smell the strong aftershave he used this morning while getting ready. Although he wore an annoyed expression on his face, I had to admit he did look handso_. Realizing where my thoughts were suddenly going I cleared my throat to turn my attention back towards sajangnim. “Oh are you doing a morning workout? That’s a great idea! I’m assuming you thought of this Ms. Melonie?”  He asked while slightly leaning over the driver seat to pear at me. I blushed from his penetrating gaze.  “Y-yes. A good cardio workout in the morning allows you to have strong stamina when dancing for long hours, or any activity really.” After saying that I realized how wrong that sounded. Before I could look even more like a fool sajangnim quickly said, “Well I just might have to join you one morning for one of these workouts. That is if you’ll allow me.” I looked at him surprised. “Does he have time to do that, I figured he was always super busy.” I thought.

“Aren’t you late for some important meeting?” Min-Jun said accusingly. Sajangnim’s smile faltered slightly from that comment. “I don’t want to hold you two up any longer as I was simply stopping by, but while I still have you here Melonie I’d also like to ask if you’d need a ride home this evening from work? I also pass this place on my way home, and I’d hate to see you walk back here by yourself in the evening.” He offered politely. I was momentarily stunned by his welcoming offer. I was just about to answer when Min-Jun stepped in front of me blocking my view completely, interrupting me once again. “Like I said earlier she’s busy…” He said in serious tone. He then turned to me to say, “Come on we should go.” With that he started to run off towards the company. Embarrassed from Min-Jun’s sudden rudeness I bowed slightly to apologize to sajangnim. “Sorry about that. Um, I’ll actually be working late tonight; I’m working with the backup dancers for the music video shooting coming up in a couple of weeks. I would hate to ask for you to stay that late for me.” I said apologetically. He seemed to nod quietly to himself as if he was thinking. “Melonie it’s not a problem for me to wait, but if you change your mind I’ll be around.” He said politely. “Thank you, I’ll think about it…” I said before saying my goodbyes. With that he drove off heading towards the office.

Sighing I turned to head off down the sidewalk, when I suddenly bumped into what felt like a brick wall. “Ow…” I said holding my nose. Looking up I see Min-Jun giving me a displeased glare. “I thought you took off already?” I asked confused why he came back so soon. “Didn’t you say we’d run together in the mornings. Quit letting people distract you, and let’s get going. I don’t have all day.” He said scolding me. “Geez, what side of the bed did you wake up on?” I said bothered. “The side that has me waking up at five in the morning to go running. Do you know how precious sleep is to an idol?” He said trying to make a point. “I can only imagine…” I said deciding to end the discussion there. “Let’s go, last one there is a rotten egg!” I said playfully before taking off. “H-hey wait up!” I heard Min-Jun yelling after me.

Later after practice was over for the day I slid down the wall out of breath while taking a drink of water. Min-Jun was sweating all over the place, with it practically dripping off of him. Normally I’d think it was gross, but today the way that his shirt was clinging to him right now was looking borderline suggestive. “Ahem…eyes up here.” He said breaking my random train of thought. “Tch, dream on I wasn’t looking at you. I was looking at all the sweat you’re swinging around. Gross…” I said lying. He eyed me for a second before shaking his head. “Hey you were the one who decided to make this choreography hard as hell. Don’t blame my body for doing what it’s supposed to do.” He said collapsing on the floor.

“You’re so dramatic. Is that why you act in dramas?” I said snickering. He lifted his head up from off the ground to stick his tongue out at me. “For your information, it was my manager’s idea to put me in acting. I never asked to do that crap.” He said rolling over onto to his stomach. “By the way have you ever watched any episodes of my show at all?” He asked looking at me with probing eyes. “Can I be honest?” I said. He shrugged his shoulders before saying, “I can’t remember a time when you weren’t.” I sighed before admitting, “Yes, I was really bored one Sunday so I binged watched your show to the current episodes, though personally I’d rather wait till the show was done, and then try to watch them all, but they’re so damn addicting!” He sat up shocked by my confession. “You actually watched my show?!” He asked stunned. I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks, thankfully he wouldn’t be able to tell if I was_. “You’re blushing…” He said finishing my thought. Caught I immediately stood up from the floor. “W-what m-me blush?! No, way…” I said turning away. Without looking behind me I knew he was totally smirking at me, but to my surprise he said, “So, what did you think?” Confused by his question I turned to face him. “What?” He shook his head, but asked once more, “What did you think of my acting? In the show I mean.” I noticed him nervously running his hands through his hair, which distracted me even more. “Um, I thought it was ok.” I said looking at everything else in the room besides him. “Just ok?” He asked coming to stand in front of me now. “Why was this becoming so awkward, and why is he so close?!” I thought nervously.

“Why does my opinion matter anyway, I’m sure you have others telling you how great you are all the time.” I said flustered. A sad look passed his eyes, but only for a moment. “Most of the time people tell me how great I am because they either have to, or they’re getting paid to tell me those things. True honesty is hard to find in this line of work. I only asked because I felt like your answer would be somewhat sincere at least.” He said giving me a small smile. When I didn’t answer right away he said, “Was I really that bad?” He sounded somewhat defeated. At that moment I could slightly understand the pressure he had to deal with every day. Pleasing people was a job for him, not a choice. I instantly felt like crap for blowing off his question earlier. “Look Min-Jun when I said you were ok earlier I didn’t mean it in a bad way. I can honestly say that it’s been a while where I didn’t completely hate the main male lead character. Usually the writer will have them being cold, moody, and mean at first until they start to like the female lead, but with this show…I felt like your character was a total sweetheart who just wanted to keep the promise he made to the protagonist’s father in the beginning.” I said truthfully. He turned away to clear his throat suddenly, as if he was surprised. “The writer just composes my character that way.” He said modestly. “Yeah, but you’re the one bringing the character to life. Believe it or not Min-Jun you’re a really good actor. I can’t wait to finally watch the episode I saw you filming the other day. It looked quite promising.” I almost squealed with excitement.

He looked down at me humorously. “You always seem to surprise me.” He said. “Why’s that?” I asked curiously. He took a moment to think over his answer. “I don’t know I guess when I’m around you, sometimes I think you’ll tell me what I want to hear, but instead you end up telling me what I NEED to hear.” He said. I think that was the first time I ever heard Min-Jun be sincere with me. “Well whenever you get tired of everyone up to you all day, I’ll be here to set you straight.” I said while lightly hitting his arm. “Thanks Melonie, I know I can sometimes become a little_” “Full of yourself?” I said finishing his statement. He rolled his eyes, but smiled before he continued. “I’ll admit I can get that way sometimes, but it’s nice having someone to…talk to around here.” As he said this I could see some of his loneliness in his piercing black eyes. For some odd reason a part of me hated to see him like that, which lead me to say the last thing I thought would ever come out of my mouth. “Well Min-Jun…that’s what friends are for right?” I said shocked by my own words. Some of the loneliness in his eyes was replaced with surprise. “According to other people I’m not exactly the best person to be friends with.” He said honestly. “Well…let’s prove them wrong.” I said holding out my hand. “Friends?” I asked grinning at him. He seemed as if he would hesitate for a second, but decided to gently shake my hand. “Friends.” He said in return.

As we shook on our new found friendship, I found myself genuinely happy about the sudden change of events. I felt like we were finally getting somewhere. Maybe now we’d actually get along with one another without chewing each other heads off in the process. As far as I could tell Min-Jun did get moody sometimes, but he wasn’t a bad person. Hell, he even stood up for me in front of his fans. Maybe if the world saw him in a different light, people would eventually stop calling him a trouble maker, but he still has a long way to go.

“Are you going to stop shaking my hand, or am I going to have to get a restraining order?” He murmured bringing me out of my thoughts. “Hmm, oh sorry.” I said quickly letting go. “I’m joking Melonie, isn’t that what friends do?” He said smirking to himself. “Rule number 288: friends don’t restrain each other, but you’re off to a great start.” I said jokingly.

Laughing to himself,  Min-Jun started to pack up his things getting ready to leave when he paused. “What time will you be done tonight?” He asked out of the blue. I looked at the clock on the wall which said 2:45PM. “I’m not sure I’ll probably be here until late tonight, I’m working with the backup dancers for the music video.” I said sighing out in a tired breath. “Would you like for me to give you a ride back to the dorms? My schedule is done around 10:30 tonight.” He offered looking over at me. “Whoa, whoa, whoa don’t go changing on me too quickly, or I won’t be able to keep up.” I said taken aback by his offer. “You’re right I didn’t ask the right way.” He said clearing his throat. “Ahem…so be out front by 10:45, or I’m leaving you.” He said trying to keep a straight face. I patted him on the shoulder before saying, “That’s the “J” I know.” He tensed from me saying this. “What’s wrong?” I asked confused by his reaction. “N-nothing, it’s just weird hearing you call me something else other than Min-Jun.” “But I thought you wanted me to call you that?” I said even more puzzled. “Ye-yeah of course. You know what how about you just call me Jun instead, it’s just “J” is soo simple you know? It’s not specific enough.” He said advoiding eye contact. “Okay…you didn’t seem to have a problem with this the other day. Did something happen?” I asked concerned. “No, nothing happened it’s just Jun makes more sense and I’m not used to being called J.” I started to laugh at his frazzled demeanor. “Who else would I call “J” besides you?” I asked curiously. “No one…” He answered seriously.

I paused for a second not sure what to say next. “You should probably get going before manager Jung-Hwa comes and chews you out for running late on schedule.” I said trying to keep this from being awkward. “He can wait, it’s not like I’ve never been late before.” He said making no intention to leave. Adverting my eyes I tried to ignore his pensive stare.  Pulling out my phone I tried to distract myself with catching up on the calls and texts I’d received during practice. As I started to go scroll it a large hand snatches my phone right out of my hand. “Hey! What the hel_” “Relax I’m only putting my number in your phone. Call me if anything changes or… happens.” He whispered the last part so I wasn’t sure if I heard him correctly. Tossing me back my phone he made his way towards the door. He paused once again before leaving to turn his head and say, “10:45.” With that he was gone, and so was the tension in the room which I wasn’t aware of till now…                 

     It was 10:15PM, and my class was still hard at work trying to get all the steps down before next week. Everyone was very nice and respectful, but also insanely attractive. Every single one of the dancers looked like they could pass as idols. There were four girls and three guys dancing all together, but the one intended as the lead female dancer looked like she belongs with one of the many girl groups StarInc produced. Everyone was also wearing super nice and expensive named brand clothing as well. It kind of reminded me of the clothes that Min-Jun usually wears  I on the other hand wore one of my many big flowy T-shirts with accompanied by simple black leggings along with my scuffed up converses. In the dancing industry I knew a lot of people who would spend exuberant amounts of money just to dress to impress, but I was never really that type. Thanks to my father being penny pincher when I was younger, I truly learned how to spend my money in a more responsible way. Not that I was saying that the people before me didn’t spend their money wisely, it’s just I wouldn’t want to wear something that nice just to sweat and stretch it out from all the dancing I do. I love being comfortable and my skin being able to breath.  

At 10:30PM I finally decided that the class was at a good stopping point. The dancers bowed in sign of respect, and started to pack up their belongings to leave for the night. “You all did a great job; I’m super excited to see this routine come to life in the music video shoot in a few weeks.” I said excitedly to everyone. “Teacher, your choreography is daebak! I’m sure Song Min-Jun, and everyone is going to be blown away.” One of the female dancers said with tired joy. “Well let’s hope so. I’ll clean up and lock the doors, so everyone go home and get some rest.” I said with a proud smirk. Everyone cheered happily while saying their thanks.

 

10:40PM now, and I was finally finished with cleaning and shutting everything down in the studio. Once I locked the door I headed towards the stairwell to walk downstairs. The whole building seemed to be quite at this hour which gave me a slight eerie feeling. Pulling out my phone I decided it was best to let Min-Jun know I was on my way down. I smiled thinking about how he smoothly took my phone earlier to put in his number. “The man does whatever he wants…” I thought while shaking my head.

Finally making it to the parking lot area, I looked around to see if I could spot Min-Jun’s van. As I was standing there waiting the elevators to my right suddenly dinged open. Out walked Sajangnim looking as good as ever in his dark blue business suit. He seemed to be reading something intently on his phone before he let out a tired sigh. “Long day?” I asked catching his attention. With faint surprise in his eyes he made his way over to me. “Isn’t it always?” He said chuckling to himself. “It sure feels like that sometimes, but I’m surprised to see you here so late. Don’t CEO’s usually get to make their own schedule?” I said trying to keep the conversation light. He seemed to find this amusing. “I wished that were true, but unfortunately work never seems to stop for me.” He said with a tired smile. “You should go home and get some rest. I’d hate for you to become sick.” I said trying to be considerate. “That’s very kind of you Ms. Melonie, but it takes a lot more to make a man like me sick.” He said slightly puffing out his chest. We both laughed at this. ***Groooowwwlll*** Suddenly a low grumbling sound came from my stomach.  Embarrassed by the noise I quickly held my stomach to try to keep it quiet. “If I’m not mistaken Ms. Melonie, I’d guess that you might be hungry…” He said harmlessly, but something about the intensity of his eyes told me otherwise. With a sheepish smile I said, “That obvious huh?” “I’m actually quite famished myself. Would you perhaps like to grab some food with me before you head home? My car is parked just right there.” He said while clicking his car unlocked as if to show me where he parked.

My mouth watered just thinking about the possibility of food, but as much as his offer tempted me I knew I wouldn’t be able to go. “That sounds great right about now, but I’m actually supposed to be meeting someone here.” As if to emphasize the fact my phone started ringing. Looking down at the screen it showed “Drama King” which meant Min-Jun was calling me. Sajangnim looked at my phone for a moment before saying, “I take it that’s Jun.” He said as if amused. “Yes, he asked, more like demanded that he take me home tonight after class. Even though I clearly told him I can walk home myself.” With this news Sajangnim seemed to perk up more attentive. “Well that is certainly a surprise. Here, I’ll let you take your call.” He said backing away to give me some privacy.

I slightly bowed my head to show appreciation before answering the phone. “Hel_” Before I could even get a word out I’m interrupted by Min Jun’s demanding voice.  “Where are you? I thought I said be ready to go by 10:45?” slightly taken aback from his abruptness I replied, “Sorry, class went a little over tonight, and it took me a while to shut everything down upstairs.” I said truthfully, while leaving out the fact that I was currently standing in front of his fine boss. “Well hurry up! I’m not about to sit here all night you know.” He said impatiently. Rolling my eyes, I tried to keep myself from cussing him out while standing in front of sajangnim. “Listen, I never asked you to wait for me in the first place. How about you go home first if me being a couple minutes late that big of a deal.” I whispered sternly. “Keep sassing me, and I just might.” He threatened, but I could hear the amusement in his voice.

Looking over my shoulder I saw CEO Song putting his things in his nice sliver Kia Sorento… I paused. “Wasn’t that the car that took me home that night from the club? I thought that was Jun’s car?!” I thought confused. “Are you coming or not?” Jun asked impatiently. “Do you happen to drive a silver Kia Sorento?” I asked him on impulse. “No, it’s red why_” Realizing his slip up he immediately corrected himself. “Did I say red? What I actually meant to say was silver ha-ha. Funny thing, I don’t drive it a lot so I tend to forget what it looks like sometimes.” He said coolly, but I could tell he was lying. “Jun I’m only going to ask you this once. Did you lie about taking me home that night?” I asked dead serious.