Chapter 7

P H O B I A

 

Over the next two days, I spent most of my spare time looking up ‘Amaxophobia’, with help from the guys of course. Since we were only teenage boys however and our knowledge of any sort of phobia was extremely limited, we took Taemin’s idea and mostly googled to get the info I needed.
 
“Amaxophobia, It’s a noun and the definition is a fear of riding in any sort of vehicle” I read before turning back to the guys who were relaxing in Onew’s bedroom.
 
I swivelled around on the computer chair that I was sat on and let out a sigh. This wasn’t going to be easy. Just as I was about to voice out my opinion, I was interrupted by laughter coming from Onew.
 
“What’s so funny? My Yeobo has a fear of cars. There’s nothing funny about that” Jonghyun spoke up, going on to defend Hyoli who wasn’t present to do it herself.
 
“I’m not laughing at her. I’m laughing at the irony. Your chasing after a girl who has a fear of the very thing that is your future” Onew laughed some more as we all sent him a questioning look.
 
“Think about it guys. Jonghyun’s Appa is the CEO of a big car manufacturing company, one day Jonghyun will inherit the business and it’s the very fear that Jonghyun’s so called “future bride” suffers from”
 
“One of the fears she suffers from Hyung” Minho commented as Jonghyun shook his head like a mad man in denial. Jonghyun could disagree all he liked but Onew did have a point. Jonghyun was expected to take over his Appa’s business after graduation. 
  
“She’ll be cured by then so that won’t be a problem. All Key has to do is figure out how to cure her” Jonghyun said, beginning to nod his head in agreement with himself.
 
“I like how you make it sound so easy Hyung” I said sarcastically, swirling back around to look at the computer screen.
 
“Well we’re going to help out as well so it’ll be okay” Taemin’s voice rang from behind me.
 
More like they wanted to see for themselves the state Hyoli can get herself into when confronted by one of her fears. I had told them how she had acted during our time in the closet, before Taemin interrupted that is, but not even Jonghyun, who claims to have a connection with Park Hyoli, could picture it.
 
I guess it was one of those ‘be there’ moments.
 
“Well I might have an idea on one way for her to confront her fear” Minho spoke up making us all look at him expectantly. Minho was one of my more practical friends who would probably be good at coming up with ideas that might actually work when it came to these curing missions.
 
“It’s said Amaxophobia is a phobia where a person is scared of riding in a moving vehicle right?”
 
“Yes?” We all chorused, waiting for him to go on with his suggestion.
 
“Well, we could get Hyoli to sit in a car. Therefore she’s not riding in it, she’ll just be sitting in a vehicle that isn‘t” Minho shrugged as we all stared at him in silence.
 
So much for Minho being of any help.
 
“Minho, Hyoli wants to be cured of her fear of riding in moving cars, not just sitting in them” Taemin spoke up, breaking the silence that had enveloped around us all. Minho sighed and shrugged his shoulders in reply.
 
Letting out a sigh myself, I ventured out into my own thoughts. 
 
Hyoli was scared of riding in moving vehicles so getting her to sit in a still car would be, granted, easy. But how could we guarantee that the car would be able to move without her jumping out before we even get a chance to move the gear stick into drive?
 
Thinking about it harder, I kept coming up with blanks.
 
I need a way for the car to move but not move at the same time. If that is even possible. Biting my bottom lip I continued to google until I found myself on google maps. I was looking at a birds eye view of our school and the area surrounding it.
 
That’s when I found the answer.
 
“I’ve got it” I shouted out and I’m sure I heard someone fall off the bed in surprise but I was too busy to turn around and laugh at that person, it was probably Onew anyway and I’d seen him fall over and off things so many times that it wasn’t really funny anymore.
 
I’d found the answer that could maybe, just maybe help me cure Park Hyoli’s Amaxophobia.
 
“Got what?” I heard Jonghyun question as I turned to see him looking at the computer screen over my shoulder.
 
“Jonghyun, prepare the best car you own for Saturday. We’re going to take a little ride” I grinned, mostly to myself since I was the only one who probably understood what was going on.
 
“My baby? You want to ride in my baby? He’s lost his mind” Jonghyun shook his head, turning to the others. Jonghyun was probably right with that statement though. I had lost my mind to actually think that Jonghyun would bring his ‘Baby’ into this. 
 
Jonghyun’s Lotus Elite AKA Baby, was his pride and joy. He trusted not even himself to drive it which was why half the time is remained in Jonghyun’s high security guarded garage. 
 
“Well you’re the one who wants to be with Hyoli. You need to contribute a little you know, and although Hyoli is scared of vehicles, there’s no way in hell anyone can reject a chance to sit in a car like that. It’s the best chance we have to actually get her in a car” I said turning around to look at Jonghyun seriously.
 
“He’s right Hyung. You’re the only one getting anything out of this and it’s not like your Appa can’t get you a new one” Taemin chimmed in excitedly.
We all knew how long Taemin had been waiting to take a ride in that car and it seems like his chance was on the horizon.
 
Jonghyun looked from me, to Taemin, to Minho, to Onew and then back again.
 
“You’ve got to choose Jonghyun. It’s either your baby or your love?” Onew grinned, liking the fact that we were kind of ganging up on Jonghyun. Friendship is pain after all.
 
Jonghyun looked to the floor and inhaled a deep breath.
 
“Fine, I pick Hyoli” He said as I grinned while Taemin and Minho high fived each other.
 
We were finally making some progress and soon, the day would come when Hyoli would not threat when sitting in the passenger seat of a car.