Chapter 4

P H O B I A

 

"Is this it?" I asked Hyoli as we stood outside of room 120, AKA the school's supply closet. Hyoli, seeming to ignore my question, opened the door, quickly switched the light on inside and then turned to me.
 
"I'll get the papers, you stay here and keep the door open, got it?" She said, almost sounding demanding.
 
I quickly nodded to let her know I understood the orders given to me before taking hold of the door as Hyoli stepped inside of the small room that was painted a boring white. Clearly this school was in need of one of my make over sessions but that would have to wait.
 
I watched Hyoli carefully as she looked over the bottom shelf, looking for the papers while standing on her tip toes. No wonder Jonghyun has a thing for her, she's even shorter than him and that is saying something.
 
The shelves were a bit high though as they were attached to the wall, each shelve on a higher level.
 
"I found them" Hyoli suddenly broke into my thoughts. I watched her as she strained herself to stand ever higher on her tippy toes but she just wasn't tall enough.
 
Deciding to help her out I walked behind her. Reached up to the shelf and picked up the pile of papers she here eyes on. I brought them down as she turned around to face me.
 
Her eyes lingered on my face until she broke the silence that had someone enveloped us in this small room.
 
"Key?"
 
"Yes?" I asked, holding my breath for some unknown reason.
 
"If you're here and I'm here then who's holding the door?" She questioned. It took a second for her words to process into my mind but as soon as they did, I felt like hitting myself with a ton of bricks.
 
Spinning around we saw the door was completely shut. I let out a sigh in annoyance.
 
"Well that can't be good" I mumbled as Hyoli glared at me and dropped the papers onto the floor before running to the door and trying to open it.
 
"It's stuck" She informed me as I restrained myself from giving her my well-no-duh look. 
 
I shrugged my shoulders as walked towards her before taking a seat on the dry, tiled flooring. Hyoli looked down at me and I noticed there was a look of panic in her eyes.
 
The girl was showing an expression for the first time since we'd met but giving her the benefit of the doubt, we'd only met yesterday.
 
"What are we going to do?" She questioned and I swear I heard her voice crack slightly. Almost like the time Jonghyun stayed over at my house and I heard him singing while in the shower, when it came to the high note his voice cracked. It was hilarious and to this day he still doesn't know I was listening in on him.
 
"I suppose we have no option but to wait until someone comes to find us. It shouldn't take too long since Mr Choi will probably begin to wonder where his test papers are" I explained calmly but that only seemed to scare her more.
 
"W-What?" 
 
"Well there's nothing else we really can do" I shrugged when Hyoli suddenly spun around with her body pressed against the door.
 
"Did you hear that?" She asked urgently as I raised an eyebrow at her. Did Jonghyun know about this freaky side to her because I swear, there was not a sound in this room except for Hyoli's heavy breathing.
 
"No"
 
Hyoli backed up against the door some more, if that were even possible. I swear she was pressing so hard against it people would think she were a painting on the door if they walked past.
 
Her breathing was quickening and when I looked up there were tears building up in her eyes.
 
"Hyoli, are you okay?" I questioned when all the suddenly she turned around to face the door and began to scream for help, the tear freely spilling from her eyes.
 
Springing up onto my feet I tried to pull her away from the door but it was no use, she was way too strong right now. How was that even possible?
 
"Help, please. The walls, oh my God the walls" She screamed as I looked around at the walls of the room. They were exactly the same as they had been when we had first entered the room.
 
Watching her as she frantically pounded on the door harder and harder, something clicked in my mind.
 
"Hyoli, by any chance are you...scared of enclosed spaces?" I questioned she she turned to me. Her face now drenched in her own tears but no messed up make-up.
 
Wait and minute, don't tell me she's not even wearing make-up?!
 
"The correct term is Claustrophobic and yes, get me out of here" She sobbed turning to the door once again to continue pounding on the door like a mad woman.
 
Her breathing was getting faster and faster that had me beginning to panic. What is she passed out? Although it would be a lot quieter, Jonghyun would kill me if he found out I'd let his 'wife' faint.
 
I had to figure out a way to stop her from panicking and to calm her down. Quickly taking a stance right in the middle of the room, I stretched out my arms. My left hand rested against the left wall while my right hand rested against the right wall.
 
Just shows how small this supply closet was and being claustrophobic can't be helping the matter.
 
"Hyoli!" I shouted to get her attention. She turned her head to look at me, fresh tears now sparkling in her eyes but when she saw the position I was in, her eyes rounded.
 
"What are you doing? The walls will crush you, stop it!" She shouted, remaining close to the closed door.
 
"It's okay Hyoli because as long as I stay here the walls won't close in on you. See, I'm stopping them with my strong arms. As long as I'm here you"re safe okay?" I asked.
 
"H-How do you know?" She continued to cry as I let out a sigh.
 
"Take a look for yourself, the walls aren't closing in are they? I'm stopping them and I'll continue to stop them until someone comes and let's us out. I won't let anything happen to you so trust me" I said in a soft voice.
 
Hyoli watched me for a few seconds when she cautiously took a step towards me.
 
And another.
 
And another.
 
And that was all it took until she was stood right in front of me in the middle of the room. Looking at her closely I could tell she was shaking in fear still. She must suffer from a bad case of Claustrophobia.
 
Before I knew it her arms wrapped around my waist as she buried her head into my chest. She was still crying but her breath had softened and become less frequent.
 
"I-I'm still scared" I heard her voice mumble.
 
"It's okay, you're allowed to be scared and if I'd have known I would have made you stand at the door while I looked for the papers. You should have told me but I guess I can't scold you for it right now so I'll let it go this once" I said softly trying to keep my hands in place on the wall.
 
I really wanted to return her embrace and make her feel safe but if I let go of the walls, it could set her of in a fit again and I don't want that to happen so I remained in the same position with Hyoli wrapped around me until Taemin finally made an apperance complaining about how Mr Choi had caught him snoozing and as punishment he was sent to look for us, although he may have been tired and annoyed, Taemin still managed to send me a questioning look after catching Hyoli with her arms wrapped around me.