Chapter 13

P H O B I A

 

Luckily for me, by the time school was let out for the day, the snow had stopped falling.
 
This meant we had less trouble getting to Onew’s place who still refused to leave the safety of his house.
 
It was almost like he had gone into hibernation because of the trouble the snow caused him.
 
“Think of it as a good thing, the less time Hyung spends on the streets, the less likely we’re gonna receive a phone call telling us he’s in hospital” Taemin smiled as we walked down the street that Onew’s place was situated.
 
“I still don’t see why your driver couldn’t come pick us up” I frowned at Jonghyun who shrugged his shoulders with a goofy grin on his face that had been plastered on his face since this morning.
 
Ever since he found out about the test of courage I was planning this weekend, he had for some reason become giddy over it.
 
I chose to ignore it however, I didn’t want to burst his bubble of joy.
 
Eventually getting to Onew’s home, we stepped into the warm living room to see Onew sat on the couch watching television.
 
“Hyung” Taemin smiled causing Onew to look to us with a smile on his face.
 
“Hey guys, you’re here earlier than I thought you’d be” Onew said as we took our usual seats.
 
Jonghyun had no problem taking the remote from Onew and turning the channel over, much to Onew’s displeasure.
 
 “Yah, I was watching that!”
 
“Hyung, Key Hyung thought of a way to get Hyoli to over come her next phobia” Taemin informed him as Onew’s glare at Jonghyun quickly changed to a look of curiosity, directed at me.
 
“You did? That was fast” 
 
I shrugged my shoulders as if it weren’t a big deal.
 
I am the Almighty Key after all.
 
Able to solve any problem that comes my way, big or small.
 
“Einstein here is organising a test of courage in a cemetery this Saturday. Ghosts are most likely to hang out at cemeteries after all and the whole grade is taking part in it” Minho said, tilting his head my way.
 
I guess I was the Einstein that he was referring to.
 
“A test of courage huh? Sounds fun”
 
“I’m glad you see it that way Hyung because you’re going to be our chaperon” I informed Onew who nodded his head before reality struck.
 
“Bwoh?! Are you crazy? No way in hell am I leaving this house to go walk around a cemetery at night, especially when the weather is as cold as it has been!”
 
“But Hyung, the teachers at school have already agreed for you to be the chaperon. Do you know how hard is was to convince them that you’ve matured since you left school. Apparently the teachers there still remember you” I explained as Onew thought about what I had said for a second.
 
He seemed to be giving the same facial expression that I had saw some of the teachers wearing when I volunteered him to be the adult supervision that we apparently needed in order for the test of courage to take place.
 
“Hyung, it’ll be fun and it’ll help Hyoli out a lot. If you don’t come along on Saturday night then the test of courage will be cancelled” Minho said as Jonghyun nodded along with him.
 
I see our conversation had grabbed Jonghyun’s attention away from the television.
 
“Don’t worry Hyung. I’ll protect you if any ghosts try and mess with you” Taemin volunteered before puffing up his cheeks for a full aegyo effect. 
 
Onew’s face turned slightly red.
 
Minho, Jonghyun and myself were sniggering at the scene in front of us.
 
Onew let out a huge sigh and place a hand on Taemin’s head, making Taemin’s hair cover his eyes in the process.
 
“There’s no such thing as ghosts Taemin” 
 
“Then there’s nothing to worry about. So the test of courage starts at 8pm on Saturday night but since we’re organising it and you’re the chaperon, we have to be there an hour before to set the traps up and stuff” I informed Onew who then let out a sigh of defeat.
 
I love it when I win.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
“So Onew is going to be the chaperon at the test of courage?” Hyoli asked as I nodded my head.
 
“I haven’t seen Onew Oppa in soooo long” A random girl in our class cued in happiness along with some other girls.
 
“He wasn’t so open to the idea at first but after Taemin talked to him, well, he didn’t really have a choice in the matter” I explained as Hyoli nodded her head and turned to Taemin who had his head resting in his folded arms.
 
Everyone could tell he was tired but he was trying his best to stay awake.
 
“What did you do?” Hyoli asked as Taemin tilted his head to the side slightly and yawned.
 
“I-…used aegyo on Hyung. He can never resist it” 
 
“I can see why” Hyoli laughed as Jonghyun scoffed.
 
“That’s him not even trying. Poor Hyung didn’t stand a chance against Taeminnie”
 
Hyoli smiled as I looked up at her, she was showing that smile again.
 
The one that hide her real feelings.
 
“Are you okay?” I asked as she turned to me, along with our other three friends.
 
“Yes, why wouldn’t I be?” She questioned as I scanned over her facial expression once again.
 
“Just curious. This is one of your phobias after all. I just thought you might be having second thoughts is all”
 
“Hmm, I am a bit worried and the idea of stepping into a cemetery where all types of ghosts could come out but it’s the only way to get over this phobia right? And besides, you’ll be there with me so I’m kind of comforted by that” She explained as I nodded my head in understanding.
 
It was silent for a few seconds when Jonghyun spoke up once again.
 
“Hold up one second! Hyoli, you’re doing the test of courage with Key?” He questioned in a demanding tone of voice.
 
Obviously, no one had informed him of this fact although it should have been obvious from the beginning.
 
“We have to go in pairs so yes, Key is the one helping me over come my phobias after all” Hyoli said almost completely clueless as to why Jonghyun was on the brink of having a nervous break down now.
 
“B-But, what about me?!”
 
“You’re my partner” Minho spoke up as Jonghyun’s near enough hit the ground from the shocking impact he was feeling.
 
“Bwoh? Why not Taemin?!”
 
“I already offered Onew my protection so Minho is the only one left. Unless you want to be unfaithful to Hyoli?” Taemin raised an eyebrow with his half opened eyes.
 
Jonghyun looked stunned for a second because of Taemin’s words.
 
He had obviously not thought this whole thing through like the rest of us.
 
“B-But Minho’s scary” Jonghyun stuttered once again.
 
It was true, Minho loved the thrill of the scare, especially when Jonghyun was by his side, Jonghyun was after all the easiest to scare out of the five of us.
 
“I kind of feel bad for him” Hyoli whispered to me as Jonghyun slammed his head down on his desk in defeat as Minho and Taemin laughed at his suffering.
 
“ to be him I guess. This afternoon I have to talk to some upperclassmen who are interested in the idea of scaring people during the test of courage. I’m the one who’s got it harder” I proclaimed as Hyoli laughed and shook her head before turning to Jonghyun and patting him on the shoulder as he continued to weep into the surface of his desk.   
 
----------------------------------------
I feel like I'm making Jonghyun suffer a lot in this story, am I being too harsh?...
 
The test of courage in the next chapter so look forward to it...
 
Hope you enjoyed the chapter...
 
CrashedANGEL