Chapter 30

P H O B I A
 
"I can't believe this. Why do I let myself get dragged into things that I know will get me in trouble. Key Hyung, you're a bad influence on me. I was really looking forward to the nature walk today." Minho glared at me as I rolled my eyes.
 
"Don't look at me. I didn't get this bad of punishment, even after redecorating my former school."
 
"You redecorated your last school?" Hyoli questioned, standing by my side with her hands in the small bucket of water that we were forced to use as a sink.
 
"Just a corridor and a small section of the staff room." I shrugged, slightly smug that I hadn't got caught up until the very last second.
 
"Forget about that. What about me? I don't even wash dishes at home and now I'm being forced to wash not only mine but the whole of our classes dirty dishes." Jonghyun complained as Hyoli took 4 plates from the stack he had just brought over and plopped them into the soapy water of the bucket.
 
"To be honest, I don't think any of you can complain, Onew Hyung got the worst punishment." Taemin said who had happily stayed behind to "help" us with our punishment, when all he really was doing was standing around; talking to us.
 
Last night had been not only painful but embarrassing.
 
Once we got back to the campfire with Mr Oh, Jonghyun, Minho, Hyoli, Onew and I had all been forced to sit  on our knees with our arms held in place above our heads as Mr Oh and Miss Moon scolded us in front of our whole grade.
 
We understood why we were getting punished but Onew was pretty much a question mark to us until after our scolding from both teachers.
 
Taemin had approached us and explained that Minho and I were not the only students he had told about the bear that had been witnessed roaming around the forest we were camping in.
 
Word had gotten back to the teachers that Onew had let slip that one detail and lets just say he was in just as much trouble as us.
 
Thankfully, this school trip was nearly over and because of our adventure in the woods last night, Jonghyun, Minho, Hyoli and I were not allowed to take part in today's activities.
 
"I didn't know chaperones could be scolded like a student?" Taemin grinned, probably replaying the moment in his head again.
 
"I guess since Onew Hyung is a former student of Mr Oh, he still thinks it's his right to punish Onew when he feels it's necessary." Minho mumbled, taking the plate from which I had just dried with a cloth, to stack it with the rest of the clean plates.
 
"Where is Onew Oppa anyway?" Hyoli asked, looking around the campfire sight that we had used last night.
 
"O-Oppa?" Jonghyun questioned with an anxious tone of voice.
 
"Probably still sulking in his tent. He really had his heart set on this being a fun trip and after last night, it's not so much." Minho sighed as Hyoli bit her bottom lip before taking her hands out of the soapy water and wiping them on her jeans.
 
"Where are you going?" I questioned as she stepped away from my side.
 
"I'm going to go get Onew Oppa. If he's feeling miserable then maybe seeing his friends could cheer him up." Hyoli shrugged.
 
"Oppa?"
 
"I'll come too." Taemin quickly took a step forward before following Hyoli through the forest to go check on Onew.
 
"Did either of you hear her just now. When did she become so close with Onew and more importantly, why doesn't she call me Oppa?" Jonghyun grumbled as I shrugged my shoulders, trying to seem unfazed by the new word that followed Onew's name.
 
If I said it angered me, I'd be lying but if I said it annoyed me slightly, I'd be telling the truth.
 
I was closer to Hyoli, more so than anyone else out of my group of friends.
 
If anything, I had earned the right to be called Oppa.
 
"She probably calls Onew her Oppa because she actually sees him as an older guy. We're all in the same grade as her" Minho tried to calm the anxious Jonghyun and probably maybe even me.
 
"So what. I'm older than Hyoli by a year. She should be calling me Oppa."
 
"True, but you're still in the same grade as her so she probably doesn't think of you as older. Especially when you act like this."
 
"Is it my fault I got held back a year?" Jonghyun folded his arms in ignorance.
 
"Yes." Minho and I both chorused, making Jonghyun huff in annoyance.
 
"Just let it go Hyung. She'll probably come to call us all Oppa in time. Well, except for Taemin." Minho shrugged his shoulders when Jonghyun raised an eyebrow at him.
 
"Do you even know when her birthday is?" He questioned as Minho looked to me, hoping for an explination.
 
I already knew what Jonghyun was getting at.
 
"Come to think of it, none of us know when Hyoli's birthday is. She could be older than you and I. She might only come to call Onew and Jonghyun her Oppa." I explained as Minho nodded his head slowly. 
 
"Onew Hyung won't come out of his tent. He's sulking and has kept Hyoli hostage to play rock, paper, scissors with him. I think it's going to take all 6 of us to coax him out of his state of depression this time." Came Taemin's voice as he stepped through the trees and into the clearing where we could see him.
 
"Just leave him. We still have a lot of dishes to clean." I sighed, taking the place Hyoli had previously been stood, sinking my hands into the water of the bucket to carry on cleaning.
 
 
-
 
 
-
 
 
-
 
 
After a long day of cleaning the camp site, pitching down our tents, convincing Onew it wasn't the end of the world because he had been scolded and a 3 hour bus journey home, we finally arrived back at school.
 
Never did I once think I would be so happy to see the dull building in front of us.
 
Everyone was exhausted, most from the activities they had taken part in through out the day and us, from all the cleaning we had done before leaving.
 
I think it was safe to say that we were all happy when we arrived back in town.
 
I could tell Jonghyun was especially happy to have his phone back in his possession, although his face seemed to drop when he turned the device on.
 
"I have 20 missed calls from my Appa." He frowned as I tilted my head to the side.
 
"That's weird. Especially for a man who can go 4 months without sending a single text." I pointed out as Jonghyun sighed before calling his Appa back and stepping away from the 5 of us.
 
"I guess Jonghyun forgot to tell his parents that phones were confiscated for the camping trip." I commented, turning back to Taemin, Minho, Onew and Hyoli.
 
"I better get going. Halmoni and Appa will probably be waiting to hear all about my camping trip." Hyoli sighed as Taemin smirked at her.
 
"You might want to leave out your midnight adventure through the forest."
 
"Trust me, I've already cut that part out of the story I'm going to be telling them." Hyoli smiled as I stepped towards her.
 
"I'll walk you home." I said before turning to Minho, Taemin and Onew.
 
"Tell Jonghyun we said bye. We'll see you all tomorrow." I smiled as Hyoli waved to them before picking up her bag and turned with me right beside her.
 
 
-
 
 
-
 
 
-
 
 
Most of our walk to Hyoli's house had been me making small talk.
 
It wasn't until we reached Hyoli's door step that I found the question I had been wanting to ask her all day, come out of my mouth.
 
"When's your birthday?" 
 
She looked surprised and almost taken aback at my sudden random question but she answer after a small pause.
 
"November 19th. Why?" She wondered as she tilted her head to the side, noticing the smile that spread over my lips.
 
"I was just curious. Do you know that I'm older than you?" I asked as Hyoli raised her eyebrow.
 
I nodded my head, speaking up once again.
 
"My birthday is September 23rd. So I'm older." I said as she nodded her head slowly.
 
"I guess you are." She said, sounding slightly confused as to why I appeared so happy about being older than her.
 
"I'm older than you, just like Onew Hyung." I found myself mumbling, but by the look that flashed across her face in that second, I knew she had heard me.
 
"Ah, so that's what this is about." She said before stepping closer to me, automatically making me stumble back slightly.
 
"Is this all about you wanting me to call you Oppa?" She questioned, stepping closer to me once again.
 
This time however, I refused to back away.
 
I also had no reason to lie to her right now and I had nothing to feel ashamed about for admitting that this whole conversation was about exactly that.
 
I was older than Hyoli and closer to her than Onew, I wanted to be called Oppa as well.
 
"Yes." I said out loud, surprising her slightly with my loud reply.
 
At that moment, she stepped back while biting her lower lip.
 
"What?" I questioned.
 
I could see there was something playing on Hyoli's mind because of where our conversation was leading.
 
She probably knew that I wanted her to refer to me as her Oppa but there was obviously something stopping her. 
 
 "Well, you know how this morning, Onew took me captive in his tent and forced me to play rock, paper, scissors with him?"
 
I already disliked where she was going with this.
 
"Yes."
 
"You see, I at that game and as a penalty, Onew got to flick me on my forehead. After feeling that for the first time, I instantly decided I didn't want to feel it again, Onew can dish out really painful flicks, so when I kept losing I made a deal with Onew that I would do anything he asked..."
 
Now I really didn't like where this was going.
 
"Okay, let's skip the dramatic build and go straight to what you promised him." I frowned as Hyoli sighed.
 
"He made me promise that I would only call him Oppa. Nobody else but him." Hyoli softly mumbled but I heard her all the same and the feeling of annoyance that had been building up inside of me through this whole conversation chose that moment to erupt.
 
"Are you freaking kidding me?!"