Chapter 2

P H O B I A

 

After class I packed up my bag quickly and ran for the classroom door which Park Hyoli had just walked out of.
 
Knowing for a fact that every student had to stop at their locker before continuing their journey to their next classroom, well every student besides me since it was my first day so I didn’t have the whole book load to carry around yet as I was still waiting for mine to arrive in the post.
 
‘Calm yourself Key, just think Bond’ I thought as I pressed myself against the wall of the corridor that Hyoli was walking through to get to her locker.
 
“Dude, what are you doing?” Taemin asked suddenly popping out from nowhere, making me jump in the process.
 
Damn, that boy always likes to destroy my dramatic moments.
 
“I take my promises very seriously and I promised Jonghyun to talk to Park Hyoli for him” I whispered as students passed us, sending me a few strange glances.
 
I ignored them, it wouldn’t be the first time these sort of glances had been directed at me, only this time an inflated wasn’t involved which I took as a good sign.
 
But that's a WHOLE other story.
 
“If you need to talk to her then why not just go up to her instead of plastering yourself against a wall, making yourself look like a retard?” Taemin asked as I stood there and thought for a second.
 
The direct approach?
 
Maybe that’s not such a bad idea.
 
Before I got a chance to reply however, Taemin had already taken hold of my wrist and began to drag me down the corridor towards Hyoli who stood at her locker; pulling out a few books for math class.
 
“Yah Park Hyoli” Taemin called, still dragging me behind him.
 
Hyoli turned her head to look at the two of us, now stood in front of her. In that split second our eyes met and I felt like I was drowning all over again in her eyes.
 
“This is Kim Kibum, He’s a friend of mine and it’s his first day today. He has something he wants to talk to you about” Taemin explained before quickly skipping away, leaving me and Hyoli in his dust.
 
That boy is soooo going to get it from me later!
 
Quickly, looking back to Hyoli who already had her eyes on me curiously, I could do nothing but smile at her slightly. The reaction I got from her was emotionless as she studied me up and down before returning to eye contact.
 
“You have something to say to me?” She suddenly asked making me step back slightly. Her voice was soft yet still had the power in it to make me want to listen to her every demand. Looking at her up close, she looked even more beautiful if that were even possible.
 
I could see why Jonghyun was crushing on this girl hard because even I was having trouble breathing around her, which was a shock to me since I was known as a very hard person to please. Especially when it came to appearances.
 
Not that I'm shallow or anything.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
Okay, maybe just a bit but everyone is shallow in some way.
 
Looking at Hyoli, she raised her eyebrow at me, waiting for me to reply to her question.
 
Oh right, Jonghyun!
 
“I was just wondering..” I began, for some reason getting all shy which was a new experience in a way. No girl had ever managed to make me lose the power to speak and until now I never thought that any life form on this planet would have this kind of effect on me.
 
“Are you busy after school?” I pushed out the word from my mouth forcibly, almost wishing the world would just swallow me up whole in this moment in time. 
 
That is, until I noticed she didn’t answer straight away. I looked at her as her eyes wandered to the bit of floor in between us.
 
Then the most amazing thing happened that would make Jonghyun so proud because I doubt any guy had got this far before with Park Hyoli.
 
“W-Why?” 
 
I stared at her for a second, trying to register into my brain that I wasn’t imagining things and she hadn’t just shot me down instantly like the rest of the guys that had confessed to her before.
 
“I mean you don’t even know me” She quickly said as a frown crossed my face slowly.
 
“Oh I’m not asking you for me” I reassured her as she raised an eyebrow at me and waited for me to continue.
 
“You see my friend, Kim Jonghyun really likes you and since he has trouble speaking to you himself, I volunteered to help him by talking to you for him” I explained watching as her eyes lingered on me.
 
“So let me get this straight. You’re asking me to go on a date with your friend?”
 
“Not a date, just a meeting to get to know each other and who knows, it may just be the start of something beautiful. So…..will you give him a chance?” I asked hopefully.
 
Suddenly she shut her locker from behind her before turning back to me.
 
“Sorry but no. I’ve got to get to class so bye” She said before walking off leaving me by myself in the now empty school corridor.
 
My shoulder’s slouched down as I realized two things.
 
1 - Park Hyoli was going to be harder to convince than I originally thought.
 
2 - I was left in an empty school corridor by myself without a clue of where my next class was.
 
First days just really .