Chapter 18

P H O B I A

 

"I'm telling you guys the truth. I just met her by chance and she offered to show me the way to the football field since I knew that's where you would all be. Although I wasn't expecting Hyoli to be there" Onew explained as we sat in a ice cream parlor.
 
Now that Minho had finally finished practice, we had all decided to go get ice cream while Jonghyun, Taemin and Minho continued to question Onew on the girl we had all seen him with.
 
"I'm not buying it. You went to our school during your high school years. Why would you need to be shown where the football field is?" I questioned, taking a sip of my bubble tea which I had bought instead of icecream.
 
"The school's sports department was remodeled after Onew left school. The football pitch wasn't there when Onew attended. Back then the football club had to deal with practices in-doors, mostly on the in-door basket ball court" Minho spoke up as Onew nodded his head in agreement.
 
"That girl was not my type anyway. She started fussing over me when I fell over. I prefer the type that just acts like it didn't happen in those sort of situations" 
 
I rolled my eyes and looked at Hyoli who was eating her icecream in silence while sat in between Minho and Taemin.
 
Jonghyun had put up a good fight to get the seat beside her but eventually Taemin and Minho won the spots on either side of Hyoli
 
Personally, I think they just wanted to sit next to Hyoli to tick Jonghyun off.
 
Taemin had a personal vendetta against Jonghyun since the whole Doodle Face scenario and Minho just liked to be mean from time to time.
 
"Hyoli, do you want to try my ice cream?" Taemin asked, holding out his ice cream cone to Hyoli who smiled softly and shook her head.
 
"I'm good" 
 
I glanced at Jonghyun from out of the corner of my eyes to see his face slightly turning pink from either embarrassment or anger, my money was on the later.
 
"Taemin, I think you sould eat your icecream before I shove it up your-" Jonghyun began when I cut in, prefering to keep the peace at our little table.
 
The last thing I wanted was to be kicked out of an icecream parlour all because of Jonghyun's jealousy.
 
"What did you come to our school for anyway?" I asked, directing my question at Onew who looked at me slightly confused before realization dawned on him.
 
"Oh right, I did try calling Minho but he wasn't answering his phone. I just wanted to let you know that everything is set for Saturday. I called the number you gave me and they said it's fine. It sounds to me like your a regular there or something" Onew shrugged his shoulders as I perked up.
 
Turning to Minho, I tilted my head to the side.
 
"Onew knows about the plan too?" I questioned.
 
"Of course he does, even I know the plan" Jonghyun spoke up as my eyes darted over to him in annoyance before turning back to Minho.
 
"Everyone knows the plan except me. Why won't you tell me the plan?"
 
"What plan?" Hyoli asked suddenly as I shrugged my shoulders in annoyance.
 
"I don't know. They won't tell me" I hissed as I glared at Minho slightly.
 
I kept my eyes on him as Minho heaved a sigh and shook his head.
 
"We've already had this conversation Hyung. You know the reason we're not going to tell you-" He began when I cut in.
 
"But you even told Jonghyun? I mean out of the 5 of us, you trust Jonghyun over me?" I asked, almost insulted by his lack of faith in me.
 
"The reason we're not telling you about the plan isn't because of trust Hyung and you know that" Taemin pointed out as I rolled my eyes.
 
"And I'm insulted that you think so little of me. I can keep secrets and to prove that, I'm not going to tell you the plan~" Jonghyun chimmed just to add to my annoyance toward the four of them.
 
"You guys " I said, not being able to stop the pout that was forming on my lips from the betrayal I was feeling because of my so-called friends.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
After finishing our icecreams and drinks at the parlour, we made our way out of the little shop and onto the streets of Seoul.
 
It was beginning to get dark outside and the cold was just adding more presure to my bad mood.
 
"Come on Key, don't be like this. You're my Yeobo, you can't stay mad at me forever" Jonghyun complained as he clung onto me like a child would do to their Umma.
 
"The hell I can't. Get off me you traitor" I cried, trying to escape from Jonghyun's grasp before he made my straight face crack with laughter from his childish antics.
 
"Yeobo?" I heard Hyoli question Onew quietly as Onew laughed and nodded his head.
 
"Jonghyun and Key, although they don't look it at times, are extremely close. I mean, we're all close but those two are different. Jonghyun is the only one who can call Key such names like Yeobo and live to tell the story" Onew explained as I rolled my eyes and began to swat Jonghyun's hands away from me to deny Onew's words.
 
Hyoli nodded her head slowly and turn to look at me, our eyes instantly met before I felt blood rush to my face and turned away from her.
 
"Don't deny our love!" Jonghyun cried before nearly knocking me off my feet from the hug he embraced me in, I froze in an instant as I heard Hyoli's laughter.
 
Both Jonghyun and I turned to look at her as she continued to laugh at the two of us.
 
"Okay so how are we going to do this? Are you guys gonna get a ride home with me?" Jonghyun asked all of us as Taemin, Minho and Onew agreed to his offer almost instantly.
 
My eyes lingered on Hyoli who seemed to be thinking about it before shaking her head.
 
"I think I'm going to rough it and go with public transport" 
 
"Why? Jonghyun's chauffeur will be here really fast once Jonghyun call him" Taemin reassured Hyoli as she shrugged her shoulders.
 
"I'll be fine. You guys go home. I'm going to take my time walking home" Hyoli smiled before giving us a little wave as Jonghyun looked at me with worry.
 
Heaving a sigh, I stepped forward and blocked her path.
 
I already knew that Jonghyun had no choice but to get home but I could also see his concern for Hyoli walking home by herself.
 
"I'll walk with you" I forced myself to say. trying to ignore the cold that was spreading throughout my body from just standing around outside.
 
"You will?" I heard Minho and Onew ask in shock, them knowing how much I hate the cold.
 
Jonghyun smiled at me and nodded his head, showing his thanks to me as I heaved another sigh and said goodbye to my friends.
 
"Let's go" I said, turning to Hyoli as she looked slightly startled before nodding her head and began to walk along side me to make our way home.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
Walking towards the closest bus stop I knew of, the silence was almost killing me.
 
Hyoli had not spoken a word since we parted way with the others and it was annoying me.
 
It's not like she was uncomfortable around me, I always figured I was the one she was the closest with out of my four friends and I.
 
Coming to a hault, I turned to look at her to see her staring right back at me with her dough like eyes.
 
"Okay, what's the matter with you?"
 
"What?"
 
"What's the matter with you? It's not like you to be so quiet, especially when you're with me" I questioned her as she bit her lower lip and shrugged her shoulders before stepping forward.
 
My eyes lingered on her until her lips broke out into a bright smile, a smile that I had never seen appear on Hyoli before.
 
"You know, I've hung out with you guys before but today was the first time I actually felt like I really belonged" She spoke up as I tilted my head to the side, slightly confused from her sentence.
 
"What are you talking about? We hang out all the time and I've already told you that we're friend so it's obvious that you belong with us"
 
"You said that before but I never truely felt like I was part of the group until tonight. You might not know this but before you transferred to our school, I didn't have that manys friends. I tried to stay away from the guys because of the confessions I recieved and I always found it hard to approach the female students. I only realized tonight of how lonely I felt during that time" Hyoli explained as I took in her words and flashed her my own genuine smile.
 
I guess I never really noticed how Hyoli was so secluded from people when we first met, I probably figured at the time that she would have some friends somewhere within the school.
 
"Hey, look over there. It's an arcade" Hyoli suddenly pointed out across the busy road.
 
Bright lights of all different colours blinked from inside the arcade Hyoli was noticed.
 
I looked back at her to see her staring at it with innocence.
 
Rolling my eyes, I took her hand and began to pull her towards the arcade, stopping a few times to allows cars pass.
 
"Key, what are you doing?" I heard her ask as we ended up right infront of the arcade that I now noticed was quite busy, filled with high schoolers from all different schools in the area.
 
"You said you didn't have many friends before I came along,right? So I'm guessing you've never really hung out like normal high school student after a long day of studying, right?"
 
"I guess" Hyoli said softly, almost looking slightly hurt from my observation.
 
"Well now here's your chance" I said when a small smile spread across her own lips once again as she nodded her head and entered the arcade with me for what was probably the first time for her, with a real friend.