Chapter 23

P H O B I A

 

"Would you slow down!" I screeched, clutching the passenger seat that I sat in for dear life as Hyoli laughed her little off at me.
 
"This is so much fun! I mean, Halmoni gave me a few driving lessons recently and I got my permit but it's such a rush when you get to drive by yourself without a relative in the passenger seat telling you to slow down!" Hyoli cried out, speeding through the streets of Seoul City happily.
 
At this point, I was really regretting the fact that I had helped her get over her phobia of cars.
 
"Wait a minute! You don't have your drivers license?!" I hissed as Hyoli turned to me and shrugged her shoulders.
 
"I managed to get my permit recently but since I always had a phobia of cars I never managed to get my drivers license. But it's all good, I'm allowed to drive with an experience driver in the passenger seat. You have your license, right?" She asked as I frowned.
 
"That's not the point! You're driving way too fast. You're not only putting yourself in danger but also me! Oh, and the rest of the drivers on the roads" 
 
"Ugh, you sound just like Halmoni. It's weird, I would have never guessed that you'd be such a kill joy" Hyoli sighed, slowing down to going 30mph.
 
I sent her a glare for her earlier comment before turning to look out of the window.
 
We had spent all afternoon looking at cars at Jonghyun's company, only for Hyoli to pick the car that had been the very first one that she had looked at.
 
Hyoli's Halmoni and Appa had both filled out the paper work for Jonghyun who's Appa was over the moon that his son had finally made his first sale.
 
The car Hyoli had picked and was now currently driving to take me home, was an electric blue McLaren 12C Spider.
 
As much as cars didn't really interest me all that much, I felt the need to praise Hyoli on her choice of car.
 
The girl had good taste.
 
Despite how long it had taken her to make the initial decision to buy this car.
 
It only took Hyoli another 5 minutes until she reached my house.
 
Pulling up at the curb, I watched as her hands pulled away from the wheel in front of her as she bit her bottom lip in happiness.
 
Turning to me upon realizing I was watching her, she simply laughed and shrugged her shoulders.
 
"I love this car. I think Jonghyun is rubbing of on me or something"
 
"As long as you don't go as far as to start calling your car you're baby, it's only then that I'll have to start worrying" I smiled as she laughed once again and nodded her head.
 
"Well, thanks for the ride. Drive safe on your way home. If you don't have an experienced driver with you and you get pulled over for speeding, you won't be driving this car again for a very long time" I warned her as she nodded her head in understanding.
 
"You worry too much. Thanks again for today. You'll have to make sure to come visit Appa soon. If you don't, it'll be me that he nags about it" 
 
I nodded my head in understanding and opened the passenger door to step out onto the curb.
 
"I'll see you tomorrow" I waved before shutting the car door and stepping back to watch Hyoli pull away from the curb and drive away, making her way home in her new car.
 
Turning around and walking up to my front door, I pulled my key's out to unlock the door when the door was suddenly flung open, nearly giving me a heart attack in the process.
 
Clutching my chest in fright, I looked up to see my Umma stood there with a beaming smile placed on her face.
 
"Who was that?" She asked, all too anxious to know about the mystery girl who had just dropped her innocent son off at home.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
The next morning, I was all too happy to leave my home just to get away from my Umma.
 
Don't get me wrong, I love my Umma to bits and the fact that she had returned home and would be around until Friday was great.
 
The only problem was, my Umma had this way of trying to over-compensate after having been away on business for a long period of time.
 
I know I'm a growing boy and breakfast is the most important meal of the day but there is only so much a guy my size can eat before I feel like I'm about to burst.
 
This morning had been especially painful because of my Umma's constant questions about Hyoli.
 
I hadn't answered many of her questions in fear that my Umma would take a real interest in her and actually want to meet Hyoli face to face.
 
She had a habit of doing that, if I had it my way, Umma would have never met Taemin, Minho or Onew.
 
Jonghyun didn't really have a choice in the matter because my parents and his parents had been acquaintances even before the two of us were born.
 
Stepping into the classroom, I quickly took my seat and turned in my seat like usual to see Taemin and Jonghyun were already present.
 
"We have to go to Onew's after school" I said in a matter of fact tone.
 
Jonghyun laughed as Taemin tilted his head to the side lazily.
 
"We usually do anyway but why so urgent Hyung?" Taemin asked softly as Jonghyun punched Taemin's arm playfully.
 
"His Umma's back in town" Jonghyun smirked as Taemin sent me a knowing look, now understanding why I wanted to spend as much time out of my house as humanly possible.
 
"She's already driving you insane?" Jonghyun questioned looking slightly amused as I glared at him.
 
"Laugh now. She's here until Friday and sometime soon, she will want to see you guys"
 
Jonghyun's amused expression instantly fell from his face.
 
"Where's Minho?" I questioned, noticing the absent member of the group as Jonghyun shrugged his shoulders.
 
"He doesn't have morning soccer practice today so I have no idea"
 
"He could be running late. It's unhealthy to be awake at this time of the morning anyway" Taemin sighed, resting his head on his folded arms and closing his eyes sleepily.
 
"What time were you dancing until last night?" I questioned, noticing that Taemin seemed a lot more tired than usual this morning.
 
One of Taemin's eyes opened up once again to look at me.
 
"The people who booked the hall for the day yesterday left at 5pm and they left a mess so I had to clean up which took until 7pm and from then I was practicing until 1am and then I had to make my way back home on foot. I would have gotten more sleep if Jonghyun wasn't so early to pick me up" Taemin explained as Jonghyun scoffed.
 
"Then in future you can walk to school"
 
"And what type of Hyung would that make you?"
 
"A very smart one. You take me for granted all the time" Jonghyun hissed as I rolled my eyes.
 
"Don't argue. Minho's not here yet and I really don't have the energy to play referee by myself" I scolded the both of them as the two turned away from each other in annoyance.
 
Taemin went back to trying to get more sleep before class officially started as Jonghyun's eyes lingered on the classroom door, the classroom starting to fill with students to start the school day.
 
It was only a matter of time before Minho and Hyoli made an appearance but what surprised me was they were together.
 
I looked to Jonghyun to see he was slightly suspicious of the two from the second he saw the two.
 
Hyoli smiled and waved to us before walking to her usual desk and taking her seat quietly.
 
Minho walked towards us and took his usual desk as well.
 
He remained quiet until he felt, what I assume would be the Sharp pain of Jonghyun jabbing his back with the pointy end of his pencil.
 
"Awch Hyung, what the hell was that for?" Minho snapped, spinning around in his chair to glare at his Hyung.
 
"The hell? What were you and Hyoli doing? Since when were the two of you close enough to come to school together?" Jonghyun questioned in a serious tone of voice as Minho rolled his eyes.
 
"I was running late and she passed me in her car on the way to school and offered me a ride. By the way, have you guys seen her car? It's amazing"
 
"I know, I was the one who sold her the damn thing and don't try to change the subject. There's got to be more to the story than just a friend giving another friend a ride" Jonghyun glared at Minho suspiciously as Minho held his hands up in defense.
 
"There's nothing more. I spent more time talking to her Halmoni than Hyoli during the ride. Her Halmoni apparently tagged along to drive the car home after Hyoli arrived at school. Why are you acting so possessive right now?"
 
"You know I like her" Jonghyun said as Minho laughed.
 
"You don't have to worry about me, Hyoli's not my type and even if she were, I wouldn't go after a girl who my friend already likes. But to make it clear to the rest of the school, you might as well walk over there and piss all around her desk to mark your territory. It'll save you a lot of time" Minho said sarcastically until he noticed his suggestion had caught Jonghyun's interest slightly.
 
"Dude, I was joking about that last part. If you did that, I'd disown you as my friend"
 
"Me too" I spoke up as Jonghyun rolled his eyes at the two of us in annoyance.
 
Turning back around in my seat to face the front, our teacher walked through the classroom door to begin the class as I heaved out a sigh.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
Towards the end of our first class, our teacher concluded his lesson before bringing up another matter.
 
"Listen up class. Before you all completely lose interest in what I have to say. I'd like to make an announcement"
 
The class quietened down as Mr Cho picked up a small stack of papers that had been on his desk since before class.
 
"This coming Monday, the school's annual class over-night camping trip that everybody in your grade is required to attend will take place. Student's will be required to bring a sleeping bag, a flash light, extra clothing and necessities. I'll be handing these forms out now which your parents or guardians will be able to fill out at home. Bring them with you on Monday morning and hand it to your assigned chaperon on the day" Mr Cho explained as the class began to groan in annoyance.
 
It was easy to say that nobody wanted to go on a stupid camping trip.
 
"We will leave on Monday morning and return Tuesday night. No electronic devices are permitted, that includes phones, laptops, ipads etc. as the whole idea of the trip is to teach you kids that you can survive through life without all these technologies that you all so heavily depend on in this day and age" Mr Cho went on as he began to walk up and down the aisles of the classroom, handing each students a permission form from the stack of papers her held in his other hand.
 
More groans and complaints were heard as Mr Cho sighed.
 
"Come on guys. It's just like 1 night and 2 days. You guys probably watch that show all the time. It'll be just the same, except without the camera crew and the famous people"
 
"Then it's nothing like '1 Night and 2 Days'" A female student spoke up as Mr Cho smirked.
 
"Exactly" 
 
More complaints began as Mr Cho shrugged his shoulders.
 
"It's nice to see you kids so excited about this trip. You will all have a great time. Class Dismissed"  Mr Cho sang before leaving the classroom to allow the class to moan about the trip without him being present.
 
Turning in my seat, I sighed and shrugged my shoulders.
 
"I guess I'm going to have to go buy a sleeping bag sometime this week" I said as Jonghyun nodded his head in agreement.
 
"I already have one from my soccer clubs training camp last summer. It should still be in good condition"
 
"Lucky you. I don't even know where the hell I'd buy a sleeping bag from. I thought they they stopped making them when camping vans were invented or something" Jonghyun said making Taemin laugh as his eyes skimmed over the permission slip in front of him.
 
It was then that Hyoli appeared beside me, looking down at me looking troubled.
 
"Key, we need to talk" She said in a very serious tone of voice which made me look at her questioningly.