Chapter 14

P H O B I A

 

 
Standing at the gates of the cemetery, I let out a sigh of relief.
 
It was growing close to 8pm and I took comfort in the fact that Onew and I had set all the traps perfectly for the test of courage.
 
All the Sunbae's who had offered to take part in scaring the students who had signed up for the test of courage; all seemed pretty psyched despite having to spend the night hiding behind head stones, ready to jump out at unsuspecting youngsters.
 
"I still think making some of them dress up in horror movie outfits is going a bit too far" Onew muttered after having a small encounter with the Sunbae who had came dressed up as Freddie Krueger.
 
To tell you the truth, I never thought Onew's laugh could be so high pitched.
 
"Shhh, someone might hear you. It's supposed to be a surprise" I hissed at Onew, taking notice of some of the students that had already arrived.
 
"Yah, I'm the chaperon. Take notice of my opinion!"
 
I rolled my eyes and grabbed a black bag that I had brought along with me that held a few certain item to hand out to everyone.
 
"Here. do something useful and distribute one out to each participent" I instructed, handing the bag to Onew who looked as displeased as ever.
 
However, he did as I had asked and began to hand out flash lights to any student that thought they needed one as more members of the classes taking part, arrived.
 
I looked at the cobble stone path that would lead us all into the ground's of SamDong Cemetery.
 
I had to admit, it did look pretty spooky at night.
 
"Key, we're here!" Suddenly shouted a familiar voice from behind me.
 
Spinning around I came face to face with my 3 other friends, along with Hyoli who was being towed along by Taemin from behind.
 
She was once again in her regular everyday clothes and somehow it still shocked me to see how good she could look without the school uniform.
 
"I'm here" She said in a quiet voice, I could tell her anxiety was beginning to kick in upon seeing the cemetery infront of her.
 
"I see that" I said while putting on a reassuring smile that I thought might give her a bit more confidence.
 
"We thought that we'd pick her up when we were making our way here. You know, since now the guard knows us and all"
 
"Good, we still have a few minutes to wait while the rest of the students get here. There's quite a lot of people though. I didn't think it would be this popular" I admited while looking around at the groups of people around me.
 
"I guess people like to get scared, I don't really understand why though when they could be doing so many other things on a Saturday night" Jonghyun shrugged his shoulders.
 
It was easy to see that Jonghyun wasn't exactly looking forward to this test of courage either now that he knew and had accepted that Minho was his partner.
 
"My thoughts exactly" Hyoli mumbled, folding her arms over her chest.
 
"Come on guys, this'll be fun. Don't put a downer on our night" Minho complained as Taemin nodded his head in agreement.
 
At that moment Onew passed by us, handing out flash lights to the four of them before moving on to a group of people that had just arrived together.
 
"I see you've put Onew Hyung to good use" Jonghyun smirked, watching Onew make his way through the crowd of people.
 
"Apparently he takes being a chaperon very seriously despite not wanting to be one in the beginning" I shrugged my shoulders, to be honest I was thankful to Onew and his seriousness.
 
If it weren't for him right now, this test of courage wouldn't be happening at all.
 
"Well. I guess I'll go and start taking attendance for each class. By the looks of things though, everyone in our grade is here" I sighed before turning around and pulling out my clipboard with the names of each participate that would be taking part in this test of courage.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
"Okay, now that we know everyone is here, I'll explain the rules. Everyone must have a partner. if you haven't already partnered up then I suggest you find one immediately. Each couple will  enter the cemetery one by one. You must make sure to stick together no matter what. There have been arrows positioned around the cemetery to let you guys know what direction you should be walking in. Beware, there are surprises set up around every corner and I'm not just talking about an ordinary plain ghost..." I said, glancing at Hyoli to see her take a nervous gulp. 
 
She was really starting to look like a person that belonged in a mental institute, of course I wouldn't let her know that.
 
"...As chaperon, Lee Jinki will be the first to enter the cemetery along with his partner Lee Taemin. They will be expected to finish the test of courage first and be the first couple to make it out of the cemetery through the exit on the other side. Once you finish the test yourself, make sure to approach Jinki to let him know that you have successfully finish the test of courage" I said as I noticed the nodded of acknowledgment from the people who were listening to me.
 
Walking towards Taemin and Onew, I forced a small smile on my face.
 
"It's time Hyung"
 
Onew sighed and looked to Taemin who looked at cheery as ever as well as excited for what would be awaiting him in the cemetery they were about to enter together.
 
"I can't believe people get a kick out of this" Onew rolled his eyes and Taemin suddenly took hold of his wrist and proceeded to drag him into the depths of the dark cemetery.
 
"Ghosts, here I come!" I heard Taemin cheer as his form disappeared into the darkness.
 
I walked to Hyoli who stood beside Minho and Jonghyun.
 
"We'll be the last couple to enter the cemetery so you can relax for now. Although I'll do this now to save the trouble of catching you later" I said as I pulled out my secret weapon from my jacket pocket.
 
Before coming to the cemetery earlier on, I took the liberty of searching Onew's bedroom while he had been in the shower for this secret weapon.
 
Onew claims that they were a symbol of his "wild" days although I don't remember Onew ever being wild so god only knows why he has them.
 
I quickly took Hyoli's wrist and clamped one side of the weapon around her wrist and the other side around my own.
 
I heard a small clicking sound and smiled in satisfaction.
 
Jonghyun's jaw dropped as Hyoli raised his wrist, raising my own wrist along with it.
 
"Handcuffs? Really?" She questioned as I nodded my head happily.
 
"What if I need to go to the toilet before we start the test of courage?" She questioned, placing her free hand on her hip, almost as if she were challenging me.
 
A sly grin made it's way onto my lips as I pulled my wrist back, in the process making her stubble forward.
 
"Then I guess we'll have to go there together" I said softly and it was undeniable that a tint of pink appeared on Hyoli's cheeks.
 
So cute.
 
"YAH!" 
 
Hyoli and I both jumped slightly for the interuption of Jonghyun's shrill voice as Minho rolled his eyes.
 
"Seriously Hyung, take notice of your surroundings. Now all I'm gonna hear is Jonghyun ranting about this moment through out the test. Thanks a lot" Minho groaned as he pulled on Jonghyun's wrist and began to pull the reluctant Jonghyun into the dark cemetery as Jonghyun sent me evil, almost scary looks of pure hate.
 
I would have almost taken it seriously if it wasn't Jonghyun that was sending me them.