Chapter 3

P H O B I A

 

 
“So tell me again why Key is in such a lousy mood?” Jinki asked the guys after making our way to his house when school ended.
 
“I’m not in a mood” I snapped and turned back around to pout in my corner of his one bedroom apartment’s living room.
 
Jinki scoffed and turned to the other guys for an answer.
 
“Key’s just annoyed because Park Hyoli rejected his offer to set her and Jonghyun up. I don’t know why he’s taking it so hard though, it’s not like she was going to agree to it” Taemin explained ever so kindly.
 
I glared daggers at him as he stuck his tongue out at me in response. I quickly turned my gaze away from him because I knew if I didn’t I’d end up pouncing on him and that wouldn’t be good.
 
“Jonghyun, you’re still trying to get Park Hyoli? I thought you would have given up by now” Jinki grinned as he sat down on his couch next to Minho as Jonghyun sat opposite, on his usual bean bag.
 
“Why do you all think I’d give up chasing my wife”
 
“Maybe because she’s not your wife”
 
“Minor details” Jonghyun said through gritted teeth and I could tell Taemin wasn’t just getting on my nerves today.
 
I wasn’t in a mood really, I was just trying to comprehend what had happened today. Hyoli at first had seemed interested in my offer for Jonghyun and her to meet but then suddenly her personality changed completely. Not only did she reject my offer but she also made me late for my next lesson.
 
Also Jonghyun is my friend so obviously I want him to be happy and Hyoli must mean an awful lot to him since she’s even got him naming her as his wife. 
 
The last time I checked, Jonghyun was completely against marriage. He lived following 2 simple rules.
 
- If at first you don’t succeed, destroy the evidence.
 
- There’s no point in getting married when you only have to pay for divorce afterwards.
 
But not here he was, calling a girl he barely even knows, his wife.
 
Sure it was strange but I wanted Jonghyun to be happy and I was going to help him in any way I could.
 
I stood up from my dark corner and smiled happily as all my friends attention directed towards me.
 
“This isn’t over. I’m just gonna have to talk to her again” I shrugged as Jonghyun grinned at me while the others rolled their eyes.
 
“I always knew you were my favourite” Jonghyun jumped up from out of his bean bag which must have taken him a lot of determination since any other time he tries to stand up, it usually takes him around10 minutes until he accepts our help.
 
“Yah!” The others shouted.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
The next day at school I sat in my seat as the teacher took attendance. I glanced over at Park Hyoli to see her with her hair tied back with her head resting in her hand. Even this early on the morning she managed to look beautiful.
 
I directed my attention to Jonghyun who I noticed was also gazing at Hyoli but unlike me, he was shamelessly drooling over her.
 
Way to go Jonghyun. That’s certainly gonna win her over.
 
I let out a sigh and turned to the front as our teacher shut the registration booklet and looked up at the class.
 
“I need two students to go to the teachers supply closet, door 120 to retrieve some old test papers for me. Park Hyoli, you’re reliable so you can go and who else…”
 
Instantly half the guys in class raised their hands up in the air with the exception of Minho and Taemin.
 
Minho seemed bored by the teacher’s request for assistance while Taemin had his head down on the desk, catching up on his beauty sleep.
 
Slowly I raised my hand as well. I was planning on talking to Hyoli today and no time like the present, right?
 
“Ah Kim Kibum” 
 
I stood up from my chair happily as I watched Hyoli rise from my seat as well and walking up to the front of the class with no expression on her face.
 
“The old test papers are on the bottom shelf, they’re impossible to miss. Bring back around 28 papers” Our teacher instructed us as I joined Hyoli at the front.
 
“Why is it a two people job? I can go get the papers by myself Sir” Hyoli said softly.
 
“The door to the supply closet is broken and the door is quite heavy. Someone will need to hold the door while the other gets the papers”
 
Hyoli sighed and nodded her head in understanding, then turned to look at me.
 
“Let’s go” She muttered, walking out of the classroom with me right behind her.
 
Off to the supply closet we go.