Chapter 12

P H O B I A

 

By the time we reached Onew’s house after school, it was safe to say I was not in the best of moods.
 
Onew refused to leave his house to come pick us up and Jonghyun’s driver was busy with driving his Umma around.
 
Since Taemin didn’t have a license to drive and Minho rarely brought his car anyway, damn him and his active life style, we were left to walk to Onew’s place.
 
The snow had started to fall again just as soon as school was let out.
 
Being the first to reach Onew’s front door, I made my way inside sighing out loud as the warmth hit me ever so nicely.
 
“Hyung?” Jonghyun called, stepping in after me, followed by Minho and Taemin.
 
Taking our shoes off and replacing them with slippers, we made our way into the living room where we saw Onew wrapped up in a blanket, with his laptop on his lap.
 
“I was wondering why you couldn’t pick us up from school but now I see, you were busy doing this” I scolded slightly as Onew rolled his eyes.
 
“Chill out Key, I couldn’t come pick you up. My car is snowed inn”
 
“What with the blanket Hyung?” Taemin asked, taking a seat next to him on the couch as Jonghyun sat on his bean bag chair.
 
Minho took his place on the one seater.
 
“Well at first, I tried to dig my car out of the snow because I’m such a good Hyung but then I slipped on some ice and fell over. At that point I pretty much gave up and came back inside, got changed into some dry clothes and I don’t know really. It’s a cute blanket, right?”
 
“Hyung, by any chance did you hit your head when you fell?” Minho questioned backing Jonghyun laugh.
 
“Whatever he does, it’s Onew condition~” Jonghyun and I sang in unison.
 
“Very funny” Onew said but the sarcasm was evident in his tone of voice.
 
“So how was school today?” Onew questioned, seeming interested as his eyes scanned over the website he was on.
 
“The usual”
 
“Soccer practice was cancelled”
 
“Some girl called me cute again”
 
“Hyoli smiled at me”
 
Onew looked at the 4 of us and shook his head.
 
That when I remember about Hyoli.
 
“Hyung, by any chance do you know what Phasmophobia is?” I asked as Onew tilted his head to the side slightly while looking completely clueless.
 
“We’ll take that as a no” Taemin sighed as Onew looked back at his computer screen and began to type.
 
“Googling it?” Minho asked; Onew nodded his head in reply.
 
After a few seconds of googling, Onew looked up with a worried expression.
 
“Key, I think you’re going to have a problem with this one”
 
“Why?” I asked, curiosity was getting the better of me.
 
“Because I’m not sure you can over come a fear that you can’t see”
 
“What are you talking about Hyung?” Minho asked standing up and looking over his shoulder at the computer screen.
 
“Hyung, Phasmophobia is a phobia of ghosts”
 
“Bwoh?!” Both Jonghyun and I shouted, getting to our feet to take a look for ourselves.
 
But Minho was telling the truth.
 
Hyoli’s next phobia to over come would be ghosts?
 
“Well, how the hell am I supposed to do this one?” I questioned to the other guys who all looked as puzzled as me.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
 That night I barely got any sleep, so it went without saying I looked a mess at school the next day.
 
The snow that still seemed to be falling wasn’t helping me out much, mood wise.
 
The guys and I had stayed at Onew’s place until 11pm, trying to come up with ways to help Hyoli get over her fears of ghosts.
 
None of us came up with a solid plan and at that point we figured it would be best to go home and get some rest.
 
Once I finally got home, I managed to take a quick shower and get to bed as the warmth of my bed covers made my body heat rise up.
 
My parents worked away a lot so 90 percent of the time I was at home alone.
 
They were still good parents who were around for all the special occasions such as Christmas, Birthdays, and First days of school.
 
So it went without saying that I couldn't be mad at them, I knew how to stand on my own two feet and I liked the peace that my house gave me anyway.
 
That is unless the guys dropped in for a visit.
 
Although the warmth I received in bed usually made me fall into a deep slumber as soon as my head hit the pillow, it wasn’t working this time.
 
All I could think about was Hyoli and how I could help her conquer this fear she was so desperately trying to over come.
 
Why did it have to be something that wasn’t even real?
 
All night I was thinking of ways to help her, I even thought back to the days that I was scared of ghosts.
 
Every child has been scared of ghosts at one point I guess.
 
That’s when it hit me.
 
To overcome a fear you have to face it head on, but since ghosts don’t exist Hyoli would have to face the one other thing that people think of when ghosts are mentioned.
 
And that was at 4am when I came to that conclusion.
 
The rest of the early morning was spent planning the idea I had to get Hyoli to face her fear.
 
And as soon as I got to school this morning I headed straight to the staff room to get permission from our teacher.
 
After getting her stamp of approval I began to make my way to my first class where I knew my friends would already be waiting.
 
Carrying the papers, I stepped into each classroom that was filled with students from the same grade as me before heading to my own classroom to see the guys along with Hyoli talking amongst themselves and the rest of the class in conversation with their own group of friends.
 
I noticed some girls smile at me when I walked through the door and some others were absentmindedly shooting evil glares to the oblivious Hyoli who was laughing at something Taemin had said.
 
Jonghyun and Minho apparently didn’t find it funny as they were both looking at one another, seeming to be confused with what Taemin had said.
 
“Hey guys” I said as Hyoli stood up from my seat that she was sitting in but I stopped her.
 
“Not yet, I have an announcement to make” I smiled.
 
She raised her perfectly shaped eyebrows along with the guys as I took to the front of the classroom and stuck one of the pieces of paper I had been carrying with me; on the white board.
 
“Listen up everyone!” I said and it didn’t take that long for the whole class to become silent.
 
“This Saturday I’m planning an event for all the classes of our grade to take part in. I’ve already got the okay for the teachers so if you’d like to take part in ‘Almighty Key’s Test of Courage’ this Saturday then come up and put your name down on this piece of paper. The test will take place at Samdong Cemetery at 8pm on Saturday night. Of course not everyone has to take part but it is a good way to get closer to the other students in our grade in other classes and it gives us something to do on a Saturday night” I explained as I saw the curiosity in my classmates faces.
 
Nobody seemed to be stepping up though so I took a pen and signed my name along with Hyoli’s on the piece of paper.
 
After doing so, I turned back to the class.
 
“I’m taking part in it” I smiled at some of the girls in class before looking to the guys for help.
 
Jonghyun, Minho and Taemin had a lot of influence over the girls of our class and the girls of our class had a lot of influence over the guys in our class.
 
“I’m in” Jonghyun said, standing up from his seat and coming up to sign the paper.
 
“Me too!” Taemin yawned as he stood up and followed Jonghyun.
 
I noticed a few of the girls were beginning to come around to the idea at this point judging by their facial expressions.
 
“I guess it’ll be interesting to see how brave I am” Minho flashed some girls a smile before stepping up to sign as well.
 
At this point it was almost a stampede to get to the piece of paper as the girls charged to the front of the classroom followed my the hormonal guys of our class.
 
Stepping to the side and resting against my desk that Hyoli still sat at, I sent her a sly grin.
 
“I’m impressed” Hyoli laughed as I shrugged.
 
“They don’t call me Almighty for nothing”