Chapter 5

P H O B I A

 

 
Waiting for Minho once the school bell rang to tell all students that they could finally go home for the day, was slowly becoming the most boring experience of my life.
 
Why you ask?
 
Well soccer has never really appealed to me and that is exactly what Minho was doing, playing soccer I mean but I guess he kind of has to be here since he is the soccer clubs captain and star player.
 
There fore Jonghyun, Taemin and I have to wait for him since we were all riding in his car today.
 
“So, did you talk to Hyoli today, you know, like you said you were gonna?” Jonghyun suddenly asked me as the three of us sat in the white school bleachers which overlooked the soccer field where Minho was stood making his club members run drills.
 
I turned to Jonghyun to notice Taemin was also looking at me with interest as well.
 
“Not really” I managed to say as a depressed expression appeared on Jonghyun’s face.
 
“Oh” He said softly, making no effort to hide the disappointment in his voice for my benefit.
 
“Well what took you two so long? I thought you arrived late back to class with her because you were both talking about me?”
 
I looked at Taemin, sending him a sly questioning look, almost asking him if he had let spill of the position he had found Hyoli and I in earlier. Luckily for me Taemin picked up on it straight away and shook his head after making sure all of Jonghyun’s attention was on me.
 
“I didn’t really get a chance to talk to her about anything, we got stuck in the supply closet” I explained when Jonghyun’s expression quickly changed to a  look of curiosity.
 
“You both got stuck in a closet together and you didn’t take the opportunity to talk to her about me?” He asked, almost in disbelief.
 
I sighed before shaking my head in response. After thinking about it I realized that Jonghyun probably had a right to know about Hyoli’s fear. 
 
If he knew then it would be better for the them both in the future when they finally get together. Hyoli wouldn’t have to explain to Jonghyun about it and Jonghyun would be able to protect her at all times if he knew she was claustrophobic.
 
Just as I was about to mention what happened in the closet to Jonghyun and explain about Hyoli’s fear of enclosed spaces, somehow I managed to spot her at the bottom of bleachers we were sat on waving her hand at me slightly to come to her.
 
I looked around just to make sure it really was me she was inviting over. Nobody else was around besides Taemin and Jonghyun but Taemin had already laid back, closed his eyes and began to drift off to sleep while Jonghyun watched the club members down on the field pull faces at Minho behind his back for making them run around the field numerous of times.
 
“I’m gonna go get a drink. I’ll be right back” I quickly made up an excused and began to decend from the bleachers.
 
Jonghyun and Taemin didn’t really pay much attention to me so I quickly rushed behind the bleachers where I had seen Hyoli walk to after realizing I was coming to her.
 
“Hey” I said softly, rubbing the back of my neck awkwardly as Hyoli looked at me almost curiously.
 
“W-Why are you looking at me like that?” I asked after a few seconds, realizing she wasn’t going to reply to my ‘Hey’ line.
 
“How is it that someone like you has managed to make me concur my fear after all these years or trying to cure myself alone?” She questioned as she looked me over as if it were the first time she ever saw me.
 
She let out a sigh before pulling out a slip of paper from her bag that hung from her shoulder and reached down to her waist.
 
“I went to one of the other supply closets after school, one that doesn’t have a faulty door and for some reason I was completely calm the whole time I was in there. I just had to picture you there with me and I didn’t freak out. I’ve been trying to overcome my fear for years now but nothing I did ever made any difference but now I can stand in an enclosed space and not feel like the walls are closing in on me” She explained as I shrugged my shoulders, wondering where she was going with this.
 
“So?”
 
“So, I have a favour to ask you. Not only did I suffer from claustrophobia but I have another 9 phobias that I still need to concur and I need you to help me do that” She said as I looked at her waiting for her to laugh and tell me that she was joking.
 
No laughter came and no confession either.
 
“Are you serious?” I asked as she quickly nodded her head in reply.
 
“I’ve been wanting to concur these phobias all my life and I think if you help, I might just be able to do it. I realize I’m asking a lot of you and I wouldn’t ask for your help if it wasn’t so important to me. I know you also want me to date your friend Jonghyun and if you help me I promise to give him a chance. I made a promise to myself when I was younger that I wouldn’t date anyone until all my phobias were gone and the only way I can get rid of them is with your help” She went on as I found this slightly hard to process into my brain. 
 
“Let me get this straight, you had 10 phobias and now because I helped you get over one of them, you want my help to get over the remaining 9 and if I help you, you’ll date Jonghyun?” I asked just to make sure I was on the same page as her.
 
“You will help me right?” She asked as I bit my lower lip.
 
“You don’t have to decide right now but here, this is a list of my phobias and if you’re willing to help that would be great. I always checked off Claustrophobia” She said I nodded my head slowly, taking the slip of paper from her.
 
“Just think about it and let me know okay?” She asked as I unfolded the piece of paper.
 
After checking over the list of phobias named on the slip of paper, I looked back up to see Hyoli was already gone.