Chapter 22

P H O B I A

 

It was easy to see that she was confused.
 
From the second she answered the door and found me stood in front of her, anyone could tell there were a few questions circulating around in her head as to why I was on her front door step.
 
"Key...What are you-" She began, but being that I was still slightly tired and pissed off at Jonghyun for my early morning wake up call, I decided not to beat around the bush and get straight to the point.
 
"Jonghyun called. He can't make it so he sent me in his place... Sorry" I said, not being able to stop myself from apologizing at the end of my sentence.
 
I guess I felt kind of guilty towards Hyoli since I had been the one she had asked to come along with her first but I had rejected her to give Jonghyun the chance.
 
And now the situation had turned out like this.
 
"Oh, Okay. Come on in. I'm just waiting for Halmoni to coax Appa to give her the car keys and then we'll be on our way" Hyoli said simply, stepping back to allow me entrance into her house.
 
Stepping into the familiar room that I knew as her front room, I took a seat on her couch as Hyoli took the space next to me.
 
"You know. If you had any other plans, you don't have to come with us. I mean, you originally said you didn't want to come so I don't want you to feel like you have to just because Jonghyun asked you to" Hyoli mumbled as I shook my head.
 
"It's okay. I had no other plans anyway but just know that I'm completely clueless when it comes to cars so I probably won't be much help to you and your Halmoni today" I explained as Hyoli laughed slightly and nodded her head in understanding.
 
"So...You said your Halmoni is trying to coax your Appa to give her the car keys?" I questioned in curiosity.
 
Hyoli shrugged her shoulders before nodding her in reply.
 
I guess she noticed the questioning look on my face because she continued to explain.
 
"Appa found out about what we were planning today and because he can't come with us, Halmoni has a suspicion that he's hidden the car keys" 
 
"Why can't you Appa come with us?" I asked as Hyoli looking at me, looking slightly awkward after hearing my question.
 
"It would be to much of a hassle I guess?"
 
"Oh I get it. Your Appa is embarrassing? I guess no girl would want her Appa to come along on her first 'date' with a guy. Don't worry though, I guess this isn't a date since you're with me now and not Jonghyun" I shrugged my shoulder as Hyoli shook her head.
 
"That's not what I-" Hyoli began when an unfamiliar woman walked into the room looking slightly pleased with herself.
 
"Hyoli. I got the keys" She said with a satisfied smile on her face as she held up her right hand that had a set of car keys dangling in her grip.
 
She looked to be in her 60's, but unlike most grandparents, Hyoli's Halmoni seemed to hold a glint of playfulness in her eyes.
 
She wore a purple floral blouse with a black pencil skirt, skin tone tights and a pair of black heels.
 
Her hair was styled into a concave bob and was jet black, as if she had never allowed her age dictate to what hair color she should have.
 
"Umma. You can't do this to me. Hyoli should buy her first car with me. I'm her Appa" Came a man''s voice and that's when another man entered the room.
 
I tried not to appear shocked but looking to Hyoli who was chewing on her bottom lip, I could tell she instantly felt more uncomfortable.
 
And now I felt like a complete moron.
 
Hyoli hadn't meant her Appa coming along would be a hassle because he was an embarrassing parent.
 
Oh no, It would apparently be a hassle for a whole other reason, that reason probably being that her Appa was in a wheel chair.
 
"Halmoni, Appa. Jonghyun apparently can't make it so he sent Key to come along instead. I've told you about him. He's the person helping me overcome my phobias" Hyoli introduced as I looked back to the two adults in the room.
 
"Of course we know who Key is. Hello young man, it's nice to finally meet you" Hyoli's Halmoni grinned at me as I quickly bowed in respect to her.
 
"I really appreciate what you are doing for my daughter. I'm pleased that you are doing so well with helping her with her phobias" Hyoli's Appa smiled up at me as I quickly bowed again.
 
"Well, should be go?" Hyoli's Halmoni asked as Hyoli nodded her head quickly.
 
"Umma! How can you leave your son behind like this? I want to be there when my little girl gets her first car. I should be there to give her my opinion. Does my opinion not matter to you both" Hyoli's Appa ranted before silencing to pout for a bit.
 
Hyoli sighed and turned to her Appa.
 
"App, you know that's not to reason why we didn't invite you to come. It's just that if you were to come, we'll never be able to leave. You're too opinionated in these type of situations.
 
So Hyoli didn't mean it was a hassle to bring him along because he was in a wheel chair.
 
I hung my head in silent shame as Hyoli Appa went on to argue his point as to why he should come along with us, while Hyoli and her Halmoni argued against his points.
 
After five minutes however, I was quickly feeling the need to break this family feud and since I had history dealing with situations like this thanks to my 4 friends, I knew what the outcome would eventually be so I decided to cut to the chase.
 
"You know...I don't mind if Mr Park coming along. Actually, it might be fun to have another guy come along so I won't be lonely" I said, speaking up for Hyoli's Appa since he was going to eventually win the argument anyway.
 
It was obvious from the beginning that he would get his wish to be present when Hyoli got her first car.
 
Mr Park nodded along in agreement.
 
"See, even Key agrees with me that I should come. I can't let him go with just the two of you. Us men have to stick together. Isn't that right my boy?" Mr Park said, turning to me looking at me as if I were the son he had always wanted.
 
I simply nodded my head as Hyoli and her Halmoni looked to one another.
 
"...They have a point Halmoni" Hyoli was the first to crack and just like that, the halmoni heaved a sigh of defeat and nodded her head.
 
"Fine but Hyoli is going to be the one picking the car. I know what you're like and you will probably want her to pick the one that you like the best but Hyoli will be the one to use this car so she will pick. Do I make myself clear?" She asked, placing her hand on her hips as Mr Park nodded his head, now with a bright smile held on his face which made Hyoli's Halmoni softly laugh and nodded her head.
 
She walked behind Mr Park and took hold of the handles of Mr Park's Wheelchair and began to push him out of the living room to probably help him get in the car.
 
Hyoli stepped towards me once the two had left the room with a small smile on her face.
 
"My Appa will probably love you forever now that you've sided with him during one of his battles with Halmoni"
 
"Are they both usually like this with each other?" I asked as Hyoli smiled.
 
"Since as far back as I can remember. I guess their personalities are a lot alike and that's why they clash. They both need each other though, more so than they'll ever admit too"
 
"You didn't mention your Appa was-"
 
"It's not something that I usually advertise. If the people I befriend stick around long enough then it's something that they will eventually learn on their own. Appa wasn't always in a wheel chair. It was the car crash that left him like that but he's strong. He lost his wife, daughter and his ability to walk but he didn't let himself fall into despair because of me. Obviously, it's harder for him to work with his disability which is why Halmoni handles the business that Appa set up before the crash. He still helps out when he can but they're both waiting for the day that I'll eventually take over the business"
 
"So your family runs a business?" I asked with a smirk on my face.
 
I guess that was one thing Hyoli and Jonghyun had in common.
 
Both of their families had their own businesses set up that one day, the two of them would inherit.
 
"It's quite successful. Have you heard of the brands 'Pandox'?" She questioned as my eyes rounded.
 
"Who doesn't?" I asked.
 
Pandox was a big label in the fashion world.
 
It was known through out Asia as a label that all the idols wore and they designed any type of clothing.
 
From women to men's wear.
 
From socks to hats.
 
"Well that design label was created by my Umma and Appa...along with a few other smaller brands. Our company has a few stores set up through out Asia selling our specific brands" Hyoli explained as I tried to keep my jaw from falling agape.
 
"So to put in simply, you're family is in the fashion industry?" I questioned further and I swear, I think my voice cracked at that point.
 
Hyoli shrugged her shoulders slightly before nodding her head in confirmation.
 
At that moment, before I could completely freak out over this information I had just found out about Hyoli, her Halmoni stepped back into the room.
 
"Are the two of you coming? I meant it when I said you're picking your own car" Her Halmoni said as Hyoli and I turned to look at the elder in the room before beginning to make our way out of the room to get into Hyoli's Halmoni's car that would be taking us to visit the first car warehouse to look at some cars.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
It was the 6th car company we had visited and we had still yet to find a car that Hyoli, Mr Park and Halmoni could agree on.
 
This 6th place had been my suggestion after having no success in the previous 5 places.
 
Now that we arrived at the destination, I was beginning to feel more confident since I knew this place very well.
 
Since Jonghyun couldn't come with Hyoli today, I had somehow managed to bring Hyoli to Jonghyun.
 
Since I'm such a good friend and all.
 
I had text Jonghyun ahead of time to inform him that we would be coming and since he would be doing his job by showing us the different types of cars that were displayed in the main branch which we had come to, his Appa couldn't really complain.
 
Stepping out Halmoni's car, I helped Halmoni get Hyoli's Appa out of the car along with his wheelchair while Hyoli stood a few steps back, knowing that it would be best that she stay out of the way.
 
I could tell that she wanted to help though from her facial expression.
 
"One, Two, Three" Halmoni counted as the two of us helped each other lift Mr Park from out of his car seat, into his wheelchair.
 
"Put your backs into, the both of you" Mr Park laughed before he settled into his wheelchair comfortably.
 
I couldn't help but laugh at Mr Park's enthusiasm.
 
Throughout the entire day, he had had me in fits of laughter numerous of times and even Hyoli and Halmoni had been caught laughing at him a few times.
 
He was just one of those type of adults that any person, young or old could have fun with.
 
Halmoni shut the car door before locking it and continued to push Mr Park into the display room where I instantly spotted Jonghyun sat at the front desk, receiving a lecture from his Appa.
 
Upon catching sight of us, his face instantly lit up as he quickly stood up and made his way over to the four of us.
 
"Hey, you guys came" Jonghyun smiled, before quickly correcting himself once he remembered that his Appa was observing him.
 
"I mean, welcome valued customers. How may I help you today" He said as he quickly bowed to us in respect.
 
I watched him in amusement as Hyoli turned to her Appa and Halmoni.
 
"This is Jonghyun. He was the one who was supposed to come along with us today. Jonghyun this is my Halmoni and my Appa" She introduced the two sides to one another.
 
I noticed the slight shock that crossed Jonghyun's upon realizing the man in the wheel chair was Hyoli's Appa but that shock was quickly replaced with a smile as Jonghyun quickly bowed once again, this time, bowing deeper to show his utmost respect.
 
"So you're Kim Jonghyun. We've heard a lot about you as well" Halmoni smiled as Jonghyun stood back up with a big grin on his face.
 
"Good things I hope" He said as Halmoni laughed and nodded her head.
 
At that moment, Jonghyun's Appa stepped forward.
 
"Jonghyun, I hope you're not annoying our customers. Ah, Kibum. You're here" Mr Kim said, probably noticing me for the first time.
 
It had been a while since I had seen Mr Kim face to face.
 
I quickly bowed as he turned to Hyoli and her family.
 
"Appa, this is Hyoli. She's a friend from School" Jonghyun said, obviously pleased that he was able to introduce his future wife to her future in-law without too much trouble.
 
"...She's interested in buying a car today but she doesn't know which would be best suited for her so I'll be showing her a few of our cars. Just so she can get the gist of what type of car she'll be better of getting" Jonghyun explained as Mr Kim looked a bit uneasy over allowing Jonghyun to take charge with his valued customers.
 
"Come on Appa...I mean, Mr Kim. This is the perfect chance to show you that I understand my responsibilities" Jonghyun said as Mr Kim thought about it for a second before nodding his head.
 
"Okay...but I'll be observing you from the front desk" Mr Kim said, making sure to whisper to the last part of his sentence but I still managed to hear him.
 
Quickly retreating back to the front desk where the secretary was seeing to another customer.
 
Turning back to us, Jonghyun smile an waved his arm to the right.
 
"Please follow me and I'll show you some of our newest cars that just came in last week" Jonghyun said, sounding quite professional in my opinion.
 
I watched as Hyoli and Halmoni followed Jonghyun towards a certain electric blue colored car.
 
I was about to follow when I noticed that Mr Park held me back.
 
Turning to him, I gave him a questioning look.
 
"That Jonghyun boy likes my daughter...Am I right?" 
 
I was taken by surprise but once his question sunk in, I decided that I'd be truthful with him.
 
It wasn't exactly a big secret that Hyoli wasn't already aware of.
 
"Yeah, he does. A lot" I said simply as Mr Park nodded his head in understanding as his eyes lingered on Jonghyun who was busy talking to Hyoli and Halmoni about the car he was currently showing the two of them.
 
"Is he a good one?" Mr Park asked as a small smile appeared on my lips and nodded my head.
 
"He's my best friend" I said as Mr Park nodded his head in understanding once again.
 
"I trust you Key and I don't doubt your judgment in people. If this Jonghyun is a friend of yours then I assume that I can trust him around my daughter" Mr Park said softly as I nodded my head in agreement.
 
I then got the feeling that a pair of eyes were watching me.
 
Looking up and across the show room, I noticed Hyoli was looking at me as Jonghyun talked to her Halmoni.
 
She smiled slightly as I smiled back; it was then that Mr Park spoke up once again.
 
"But I know my daughter and I trust her judgment in people as well. Between you and me, I think Hyoli only has eyes for one person and that person is you" He said softly as I looked back to him, breaking eye contact with Hyoli to look at Mr Park in slight shock.
 
"Don't take my words too seriously, I could be wrong but it's just from what I have observed today" Mr Park said as his hands gripped onto the two wheels on both sides of his chair before pushing them forward, wheeling himself over to where his Umma and daughter stood with my best friend.
 
Quickly pushing his words to the back of my mind, figuring that Mr Park was just over thinking things, I began to make my own way forward to join the four of them as they continued to look around at the cars inside the show room we currently stood in.