Chapter 15

P H O B I A

 

Walking through the cemetery at night wasn't so bad for me, Hyoli had yet to have a nervous breakdown and she hadn't tried to run away once...although I'm pretty sure that was more down to the fact that Onew's handcuffs were still locked around both our wrists.
 
The only thing that was bothering me was Hyoli's heavy breathing, she sounded like she was out of breath and I'm sure a person isn't supposed to inhale so much oxygen in one minute.
 
"This is fun, right?" I asked, trying to break the silence and with any luck, maybe calm her a bit.
 
I looked back to see her eyes darting around our surroundings as we ventured deeper into the cemetery.
 
"Is that a rhetorical question?" She asked and it was only then that I noticed her voice sounded higher pitched than usual. 
 
This cemetery was seriously freaking her out, the light from the moon that reflected off her skin showed me how pale she had turned since before we started the test.
 
"Omo, what was that?!" She shouted as I felt her suddenly cling to my arm, her hand shaking slightly. 
 
I turned around and shone our flashlight in the direction Hyoli was looking to see nothing there.
 
"It's nothing, you're probably just imagining things. Come on" I said, continuing to guide the girl through the cemetery. 
 
I noticed Hyoli was beginning to stumble every so often as she began to panic more.
 
"Don't say stuff like that, the person who says that in movies are always the first to die"
 
"Ah but you're thinking of murderers, I thought your phobia was ghosts?" I smirked at her but she didn't seem very pleased by my cocky tone.
 
"Ghosts can hurt you just as much as murderers can. Maybe even more since they're dead and you can't see them. Ghost's will always have the element of surprise. I really don't get a good feeling from this place Key" Hyoli quivered in fear as she passed a hedge stone.
 
At that moment a Sunbae dressed  up like Sadako from The Ring jumped out at Hyoli, placing her hands on her shoulders.
 
Just like that, Hyoli's eyes rounded as she spun around and took one look at the Sunbae before letting out an ear shattering scream and bolting off in the other direction.
 
Unfortunately for me, the handcuffs bound me to her and I, in the process of her running away; was dragged along behind.
 
I tried my best to keep up without falling over since Hyoli had ran away from the path we were supposed to be walking along to get to the exit on the other side of the cemetery, it was hard though.
 
I never knew girls could run so fast, at this point I was beginning to think it should have been Minho beside Hyoli because he was probably the only one out of the 5 of us that would have been able to keep up with her with no problems.
 
"Yah! Calm down! It was a sunbae, she's not going to hurt! Would you slow down! My hair is out of place!" I shouted at Hyoli who carried on running until she just suddenly came to a hault by herself and crouched down with her hands covering her ears and her eyes closed.
 
In all fairness, I'd have to say Hyoli was giving off a spooky vibe more than that Sunbae did right about now.
 
She even began to rock back and forth, whispering incoherent words to herself, almost as if she was trying to comfort herself.
 
It took me until that moment to realize that as she did all of these things, tears had began to leak out of her closed eyes, running down her cheeks as she continued to sway on the spot.
 
Letting out a sigh I quickly tried to fix my hair without the use of a mirror before crouching down to Hyoli's new found height. 
 
She didn't realize however, how could she when she had blocked both her senses of sight and sound.
 
If anything, she was probably scaring hersled even more by doing those things, I took hold of the hands on both sides of her face and felt her jump slightly at my touch.
 
Slowly and gently, I began to pull her hands from her ears which made her eyes open slightly to see my face only centemetres away.
 
I saw her eyes widen slightly as she pulled her hands from mine and began to swipe her cheeks with them to get rid of the tears.
 
"You're okay, you're safe with me. You know that right?" I asked taking her face in my hands to make her look at me, stopping her from being distracted with wiping her tears away.
 
She looked into my eyes before shaking her head slightly.
 
"I know that but--"
 
"No buts. I'd have to be crazy before I let anything happen to you. It's the same for the other guys. Any one of us would protect you, weither the threat be a ghost, person or any other object. Now since that scare with the Sunbae dressed up as sadako you probably dragged me half way around the cemetery, did you see any ghosts on your way?" I asked as Hyoli looked to the floor as she took my hands and lowered them from her face.
 
I was silent as she replayed the path she had taken in her head during her moment of fear before shaking her head as a reply.
 
"Now that you mention it, no. I don't think I did" She said, her voice barely above a whisper but I heard her loud and clear.
 
"You see, that's probably because there is no such thing as ghosts. Same as there's no such thing as the Boogy Man"
 
"It was the Grey Lady that I fear the most. That's why I don't used the girls toilets at school" She confessed as I laughed and shook my head.
 
"The Grey Lady was something students from the past made up to scare the younger students. Trust me, this is the third school that I've transferred to and every one of my previous schools had a Grey Lady that haunted the girls toilets"
 
"People should really come up with some new material huh?" Hyoli said before letting out a small laugh.
 
It may have been small but at that moment in time, the sound was like music to my ears.
 
"See, you're fine. If there was such a thing as ghosts; you would have seen one from the amount of time we've been here" I smiled at her as she looked at me when a small smile appeared on her face as well.
 
And just like that I was knocked from my crouching position onto my thanks to Hyoli's unexpected launch at me to hug me.
 
I hugged her back awkwardly as I remained sprawled out on the ground with Hyoli on top of me.
 
"Kibum, You really are the best" She said softly as I felt her grip on me squeeze slightly.
 
I laughed and squeezed her back when I heard foot steps and a bright light began to shine in my eyes.
 
I felt the weight of Hyoli remove from me as she looked at the person shining the light in my face.
 
"Really Key, we were wondering what was taking so long but now we understand-- you were doing this" I heard the familiar sound of Taemin.
 
"Just what do you think you were doing?!" Came Jonghyun's shrill voice.
 
I guess we had been in the cemetery longer than I originally though.
 
"Guys, Kibum cured me. Isn't that great?" Hyoli asked as she stood up and walked towards Minho, Taemin and Onew.
 
Judging from the expression on Jonghyun's face though, I knew he was anything but pleased as he sent me a deadly glare.
 
Something was telling me I was not in Jonghyun's good books tonight.