Chapter 29

P H O B I A
I know it was wrong.
 
Everything inside of me was screaming, telling me to turn around and walk back to camp, but yet my legs continued marching on down the dirt path.
 
The same path that Hyoli was walking down, following Jonghyun who led her away from the campfire site.
 
She had no clue what Jonghyun wanted to talk about with her but I knew better and for some reason, the feeling of not liking it had intensified when I had seen the two had left my side.
 
They had no idea anyone was even following them, something Jonghyun was probably counting his lucky stars for.
 
I made sure to keep a bit of a distance between the two on the off chance that one of them decided to look back.
 
I had plenty of trees to hide behind situated around me anyway.
 
The two kept walking in silence, Hyoli looking as clueless.
 
I began wondering how I knew how Hyoli was feeling just by looking at the back of her head in the darkness of the night and forest.
 
My eyes had adjusted to the darkness already but still, all I could see was her long hair pulled back into a high pony tail.
 
At that moment, Jonghyun turned back to look at her as I whirled myself behind a tree to my right just in time.
 
"We're almost there. Just a little longer." I heard Jonghyun say to her.
 
I peeked out from behind my hiding spot to see Jonghyun take Hyoli's hand and began to guide her through the thick of the forest.
 
I felt my stomach do a back flip as I watched the two continue on when I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder.
 
Resisting the urge to shriek from shock, I spun around to find Minho looking down at me with a raised eyebrow.
 
"What are you doing?" He asked as a hand flew to my chest, almost as if I was trying to sooth my startled heart.
 
"What am I doing? What the hell are you doing? Trying to give your Hyung a heart attack?" I hissed as Minho rolled his eyes and looked past me and the trunk of the tree we stood behind.
 
He looked back at me with a sigh.
 
"You're following them?" He asked.
 
He probably already knew the answer to his own question so I quickly skipped the answer and went straight to defending myself.
 
"I'm responsable for Hyoli." I insisted as Minho shook his head as my reasoning.
 
"You're responsable for her when it's a phobia thing. This isn't a phobia thing, this is a Jonghyun thing."
 
"We're still in a forest. She might get scared." I folded my arms.
 
"Hyung, can I ask you something?" Minho asked as I sighed and looked at where I had last seen Jonghyun and Hyoli.
 
They were still in my line of vision but the distance between us had quickly become larger.
 
"Really? Does it have to be right now?" I questioned, looking back at Minho, trying to hide the panic I could feel rising in me from seeing the two almost completely disappearing into the darkness.
 
"Yes. I just need you to answer me honestly." 
 
"Just ask then, and make it quick." 
 
"Do you like Hyoli?"
 
I paused.
 
I looked at Minho and saw that he was actually being serious about this question and he wanted an honest answer.
 
What was I supposed to do in this sort of situation?
 
Out of all the questions Minho could have asked me right now, why did it have to be that one.
 
Especially when I was short on time.
 
This was a question that would take time in answering, over a glass or several bottles of underage alcohol.
 
"Stop thinking Hyung. Just answer." Minho said, almost as if he was giving me advice on how to answer the question.
 
At this point, i had no other choice,
 
It was clear Minho wasn't going to let me follow Jonghyun and Hyoli until I answered his question.
 
"Of course I like Hyoli." I found myself saying in a casual tone, only to recieve a rasied eyebrow from Minho.
 
"I mean, do you like Hyoli more than a friend?" 
 
I paused once again, my brain scrambling for an answer to give my persistant friend.
 
"Stop thinking and just answer!" Minho hissed as me once again, snapping me out of my thoughts so fast that I found myself answering his question without a second thought.
 
"Yes!" 
 
I looked at Minho who's annoyance towards my inability to answer his question had now subsided and something that resemebled a childish grin had formed on his lips.
 
That's when my answer had really hit home for me.
 
I had admited that I liked Hyoli, more than a friend even.
 
I couldn't deny it either because I hadn't only admited it to myself but to one of my best friends as well.
 
Quickly back tracking, I spoke up once again.
 
"But what does that matter? Jonghyun is practically in love with her and once I cure her phobias, she'll end up with him." 
 
"Not unless you tell her how you feel. Hyoli already knows how Jonghyun feels but she should know that you also have feelings for her aswell. It's only fair that she has all the information given to her before she makes her choice." Minho said, almost as if he wanted Hyoli to pick me rather than his older Hyung.
 
"What if she picks me? Jonghyun would be crushed. He's my best friend and you know as well as I do what he's like. When was the last time you saw him fall this deeply for a girl?"
 
"And when was the last time you fell so hard for a girl. Both you and Jonghyun are equelly matched in that catagorie. Hyung, you might not have noticed this but I have. The way Hyoli looks at you, it's different to how she looks at the rest of us. I think that if you told her how you feel, you'd discover that what you're feeling for her isn't just one-sided--" Minho began to lecture when a sudden ear shattering scream put a pause on his speech.
 
"That sounded like--" Minho began when I cut in, my eyes rounded as Onew's words from earlier about a black bear echoed in my mind.
 
"That was Hyoli!" I snapped, quickly darting out from my hiding spot to find Hyoli and Jonghyun were now nowhere in sight.
 
"Come on, it sounded like it was coming from this way." Minho quickly began to run ahead as I quickly followed behind him.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
Minho and I had been running for a good five minutes and still were having no luck finding Jonghyun and Hyoli.
 
Good thing I was with Minho, who was probably the fittest out of my 4 friends and was used to long distance running from his soccer club training.
 
Looking around the dark forest, I could barely see anything.
 
Maybe my panic after hearing Hyoli's scream had blinded my vision slightly.
 
"Hold on a second. Do you hear that?" Minho suddenly haulted, placing his arm out in front of me to stop me from running as well.
 
I stayed silent, listening to what Minho's ears had picked up on.
 
The sound of footsteps.
 
"Hyoli." I found myself saying, stepping forward to go find that said person when Minho suddenly dragged me back by the coller.
 
"Where do you think you're going?" He asked as I frowed at him, not caring if he could see me or not.
 
"I'm going to find Hyoli."
 
"You don't know for sure if it's Hyoli or not. For all we know, it could be the bear Onew Hyung was telling us about. You're staying by my side."
 
"I know it's Hyoli." I hissed as Minho clearly rolled his eyes at me before speaking up once again.
 
"And what makes you so sure?" Minho questioned as I sighed.
 
"Because one, she shuffles when she walks," I stated, placing one finger up in the air.
 
"And two, I can see her." I said pointing in the direction I could now see Jonghyun's and Hyoli's figures coming into view, through the darkness.
 
Except something was off about the two.
 
They both seemed rather scared.
 
That's when I saw another figure come into view from behind the two.
 
"What are you two doing out here?" Mr Oh's voice hissed, shining a flashlight that he held in his hand at Minho and I.
 
"Crap." I heard Minho say under his breath.
 
"Wait until we get back to camp. All four of you are in deep trouble." Mr Oh sighed but despite his calm voice, the four of us knew that nothing good was awaiting us back at camp.