Chapter 24

P H O B I A

 

Once the school day ended, we walked out of the school gates, passing the parking lot along the way.
 
Hyoli spotted her car with her Halmoni stood by the passenger doors, waving to her in order to catch Hyoli's attention.
 
"Hey, you guys are probably going to Onew's place, right?" She asked curiously as I nodded my head in reply.
 
"How about I give you a ride. It's on the way to my house anyway and the more practice I get driving in my car, the better" She offered. 
 
As I was about to reject her offer after experiencing flashbacks from the last time I had taken a ride in her car with Hyoli behind the wheel, Jonghyun cut in.
 
"It's okay Hyoli. My driver is here to pick us up and I'm sure that your Halmoni will want to get home as soon as possible. I don't want to be a burden to her. It was nice of you to offer though" Jonghyun smiled as Hyoli shrugged her shoulders.
 
"Okay then. If that's what you want to do. What about you three?" She asked, turning to Taemin, Minho and I for our answers to her offer.
 
I instantly noticed Jonghyun's smile drop from his face.
 
Obviously he hadn't noticed that he had answered her as if he were only speaking for himself and not all four of us.
 
His mouth fell agape when Minho spoke up.
 
"Hell yeah. I call shot gun!" 
 
"That's not fair! You got to ride to school with her. I haven't been in her car yet so I should have shot gun"
 
"It's the law twerp. A licensed driver must sit in the passenger seat. You don't have your license yet"
 
"If it's going to cause you two to argue then Halmoni will get shot gun and the both of you will be stuck in the back" Hyoli laughed, folding her arms at the two.
 
Taemin pouted as Minho smiled with pride, it was obvious that Minho was going to be sitting up front while Taemin would be stuck in the back with Hyoli's Halmoni.
 
"You coming Hyung" Taemin asked, turning to me curiously as I looked to Jonghyun who looked beyond pissed off.
 
"You two go with Hyoli. I've already taken a ride in the car so I'll ride with Jonghyun" I said as the two nodded and left with Hyoli to her car.
 
Looking to Jonghyun who looked as if he were about to burst, I nudged him before walking across the parking lot where I noticed his driver was stood with Jonghyun's family's limo.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
The journey to Onew's place was far from pleasant.
 
From the get go, Jonghyun had no problem venting his frustrations onto me over Minho and Taemin's decision to take Hyoli up on her offer.
 
I was reaching the point where I wanted to smash my head through the glass window just to escape the sound of Jonghyun's voice.
 
Jonghyun might be my best friend but when he complains to the point that he gives me a head ache, he can become enemy #1 in my eyes.
 
"And Minho didn't even need to go. I mean he got to ride in the car this morning. On the other hand, I haven't. I had more right to take Hyoli up on her offer than him but no~. I wanted to play the nice guy and not trouble her. I hate myself right now"
 
"You're not alone on that one" I commented which only made Jonghyun sent a glare at me before going back to ranting about our two friends.
 
When his driver pulled up in front of Onew's place, I scrambled out of the door to my right as fast as I could and walked over to where I saw Minho and Taemin saying their thanks and goodbyes to Hyoli before she pulled away to go home.
 
"Hyoli's Halmoni is awesome" I heard Taemin exclaim.
 
"If you two ever leave me alone with Jonghyun again when he's in one of his pissy moods, I will spread that middle school rumor of 2Min, got it?!" I hissed as the two looked at me questioningly because of my annoyance towards the two.
 
I was being serious though.
 
Back in middle school, a rumor began to make it's way around the school about Minho and Taemin being in a forbidden love.
 
Every single female in our grade had fallen in love with the thought of Taemin and Minho being in love and even gave the pair the name '2Min'.
 
To this day, we don't know how that rumor came to be or who had started it.
 
"Don't ask" I hissed before turning around to make my way into Onew's with Taemin, Minho and Jonghyun right behind me.
 
I was so pissed off that the familiar car that I would usually notice in an instant, went unnoticed as we made our way through the front door of Onew's place.
 
It was only when we heard the sound of Onew's voice talking to someone that I became suspicious.
 
"Onew Hyung?" Taemin called out when a few seconds later, Onew's head popped out from the kitchen with a wide grin on his face.
 
"Key, you didn't tell me your Umma came home for the week" He spoke as my eyes widened.
 
Quickly making my way into Onew's kitchen, I came face to face with my suspicion.
 
There stood my Umma, in a pink frilly apron and her hair pulled back as she baked for Onew.
 
"Umma~" I found myself complaining as Umma smiled at me.
 
"I'm happy to see you too, my son"
 
"Hi Mrs Kim" Taemin greeted as Minho bowed and Jonghyun waved his hand at my Umma.
 
"Hello boys. It's been a long time. Why don't you take a seat. I'm just in the middle of baking a batch of cupcakes for Onew. I remember how he always liked them" Umma smiled at my friends who quickly did as she said and took a seat at the island in the middle of the kitchen.
 
"So Key... I mean Kibum told us that you'll be here until Friday" Taemin spoke up as my Umma nodded her head.
 
"My business trip was cut short and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to visit my son. The last time I saw him was the morning of his first day at your school. I haven't received any complaints from the Principle so I was beginning to get worried"
 
"Nice to know how much faith you have in me for staying out of trouble" I mumbled but Umma heard me.
 
"I know you too well Kibum. When I didn't get a phone call from your principle within the first week of you attending that school, I thought something dreadful must have happened to you. Turns out, you just got a girlfriend" Umma grinned with a shrug of her shoulders.
 
"Kibum has a girlfriend?!" Onew literally shouted out in shock as Umma nodded and I face palmed myself.
 
"Who?" Minho questioned as Taemin nudged me, obviously not realizing that my so called girlfriend was Hyoli.
 
"She's thinks there's something going on between Hyoli and me" I said softly as Jonghyun stood up from his seat and turned to my Umma.
 
"Mrs Kim, you've got it all wrong. Hyoli is my wife. Well, future wife actually-" Jonghyun began when Umma cut in.
 
"I always thought your parents were against arranged marriages. They told me that they wanted you to meet a girl and fall in love with her naturally, like how the two of them met" Umma said as Jonghyun shook his head.
 
"It's not an arranged marriage. I like Hyoli and I want her to be my future wife"
 
"The only problem is, Hyoli rejects every guys that confesses to her" Taemin said as Umma looked at him curiously.
 
"Playing hard to get maybe?" Umma asked as Minho shook his head.
 
"We found out that the reason Hyoli rejects every guy is because most of her life she has suffered with 10 phobias. She didn't want to make her life more complicated by having a boyfriend I guess"
 
"But that's all changing now thanks to your son. Kibum agreed to help her overcome all of her fears" Onew informed Umma as she looked at me for confirmation.
 
I nodded my head in reply as she smiled.
 
"Which reminds me. What did Hyoli want to talk to you about so urgently after class?" Minho questioned as I remembered that I had yet to tell the guys what Hyoli was so panic stricken over after first period.
 
"Oh right, so this week we're going to skip the next phobia down the list and go straight to Hylophobia" I informed my friends.
 
They all showed signs of confusions as I sighed.
 
"The class camping trip. Which Umma, you will have to sign my permission slip sometime this week for. Turns out Hylophobia is a fear of forests. This weekend we have to help Hyoli overcome that phobia or she'll be screwed during the camping trip" I said as Taemin looked to Jonghyun before turning back to me.
 
"How the hell are we going to do that?" 
 
"I haven't figured that out yet" I sighed as I noticed Umma raised her right hand slowly.
 
Looking at her questioningly, she smiled and began to speak up.
 
"I think I have an idea... But I'll only tell you if you let me join in. I want to meet this Hyoli girl. She sounds very interesting"
 
"Umma, you can't. We work on Hyoli's phobias on the weekend. You leave Friday" I said, counting my blessings over that fact but Umma was having none of it.
 
"So I'll miss some of your Appa's business meetings. It's been so long since I've spent time with my little boy that I'm sure your Appa will understand"
 
"Umma, I'm 18 now; not 8. I'm not a kid anymore" I frowned only to receive another smile from my Umma.
 
This one was a warm smile.
 
A smile that only an Umma could give to her child.
 
"You'll always be my little boy though"