Chapter 16

P H O B I A

 

After taking Hyoli home and wishing her a good night, my four friends and I began to make our way to Minho's house via car to drop him off first.
 
Onew drove the car with Taemin in the passanger seat.
 
Minho sat to the right in the back with me on the left and Jonghyun in the middle who seemed beyond his normal level of pissed.
 
Since Hyoli had gotten out of the car, we had began arguing and I was beginning to get slightly pissed off myself.
 
"Come on Jonghyun, you were the one who asked me to help Hyoli and now you're ing at me because you don't like Hyoli and I interacting?"
 
"You can interact with her without holding her in a dark cemetery at night. Why were you hugging each other anyway? If you like her then tell me now because I'd prefer to know if my own friend is my rival" Jonghyun snapped as Taemin turned around his his seat to look at the two of us.
 
"Guys, don't fight. It's been a good night so far and you two are beginning to ruin the mood with your arguing"
 
"She was scared and if you had arrived a few second earlier, you would know that she was the one who hugged me first. What was I supposed to do, she was crying and shaking. You've seen first hand what Hyoli is like when she's facing one of her fears" I said, igoring Taemin's words to try and defend myself against Jonghyun's wild accusations that I could have somehow became his rival in love over the past few weeks.
 
Jonghyun let out a long sigh while running a hand through his hair in frustration.
 
"I have so many rivals for Hyoli's attention already, I don't want one of my best friends as a rival aswell. It was really just to comfort her?" Jonghyun questioned, sneaking a glance at me as my head began to nod along to his words.
 
"There's nothing romantic between Hyoli and I. We're just friends and once we help her cure all her phobias, she'll be all yours" I promised as Jonghyun looked at me straight in the eyes.
 
Something he did to people everytime he was trying to sense a lie within that person's words.
 
After a few seconds of silence, a small smile crossed his lips as he punched me softly in my arm.
 
"Yeah, I should know you wouldn't betray me like that. Sorry for accusing you" 
 
A small smile appeared on my lips as I rolled my eyes and nodded my head in understanding, happy that Jonghyun's suspision had been dropped.
 
It was stupid of him to think that Hyoli and I had something between us that was more than friendship, despite my thinking Hyoli was good looking and she seemed to be my type, I would never go for a girl that a friend of mine already liked.
 
Jonghyun really liked Hyoli so it was only natural for him to feel threatened I guess.
 
"That's what I like to see. My Hyungs all getting along after a night of fright" Taemin chimmed, still looking at us from the front seat.
 
"Taemin, are you actually aware of how cheesy you sound right now?" Minho questioned making us all laugh within the car with the exception of Taemin who didn't seem to find any part of Minho's teasing amusing.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
That following Monday upon arriving at school, it seemed slightly different than usual.
 
On top of the usual girl's checking me out as I passed them in the coridoor, I was receiveing compliments from random students.
 
During the test of courage, a lot of couples had been born along with friendships between students from different classes and they were thanking me for it.
 
Entering homeroom, I came face to face with Hyoli who was on her way out of the classroom.
 
"Well hello there Mr Cupid" She smiled at me at the door way.
 
I froze in mid-stride to acknowledge her.
 
"Mr Cupid?" I questioned as she laughed and shrugged her shoulders.
 
"That's what people have been calling you. A lot of people are thankful towards you for setting up the test of courage, many students got the chance to approach someone they had difficulty approaching when at school. You made it easier for them" Hyoli explained as I shrugged my shoulders as if it wasn't a big deal.
 
It wasn't really.
 
"I guess I'm living up to my nickname as the Almighty Key" I said proudly, striking a power pose as I did so.
 
Hyoli laughed and shook her head.
 
"I guess so"
 
"What about you? How are you doing after Saturday night's mission?" I asked curiously.
 
"I'm okay. Halmoni was happy to hear that I'm cured of that phobia and to prove how happy she was, she took me to visit my Umma and Unnie's graves yesterday. That's a place I haven't visited even once so I was really happy to go see them" Hyoli sighed as I noticed her facial feature soften as she probably began to think back to yesterday's events.
 
"Well I'm happy for you. You worked really hard to overcome that fear" I smiled, completely happy for Hyoli.
 
"Not only that but Halmoni has offered to take me out to look for a car this Sunday. Would it be okay if you come along? I don't really know much about what type of cars are good to drive and chances are, neither does my Halmoni"
 
I thought for a second, and glanced past Hyoli to see Jonghyun poking a sleeping Taemin's cheek with a pencil in bordom.
 
"I won't be much help but Jonghyun knows a few things about cars. Why not ask him?" I suggested.
 
"Oh, um okay. I might do that" She said but I couldn't help but notice her voice sounded slightly disappointed.
 
I was probably just imagining things though, why would Park Hyoli be disappointed because of my rejection to go car shopping with her and her Halmoni?
 
"Well, I have to go. The teacher called for me" She said as I nodded and stepped to the right to make way for her to leave the classroom only to find Hyoli stepping to the right at the exact same time.
 
We looked at one another as we both stepped to the left to make way for each other.
 
After a few more seconds of stepping from side to side together, I eventually solved the problem by taking hold of Hyoli's shoulders and turning her around so she was stood were I had been stood.
 
"Thanks" Hyoli smiled before leaving the classroom to go see the teacher.
 
I sighed softly and turned to join Jonghyun in the classroom as he proceeded to do strange things to the sleeping Taemin's face which so far had an 'L' scribbled onto his forehead in black ink.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
After school that day, Jonghyun, Minho, Taemin and I arrived at Onew's, curtosy of Jonghyun's driver.
 
Taemin was in the process of not talking to Jonghyun who had allowed him to walk around school for almost the whole day without informing him of the doodles on his face.
 
I was quite surprised that not one teacher or Minho had commented on the doodles on his face upon seeing him but nobody had until lunch when Jonghyun finally decided to let the cat out of the bad.
 
Needless to say, Taemin was not in a very good mood for the rest of the day.
 
He had, however managed to wash the doodles off his face after a quick trip to the boy's toilets.
 
"Come on Taemin. You can't deny that it wasn't just a little funny" Jonghyun complained as we walked into Onew's place.  
 
"Hyung you turned me into a human doodle while I was sleeping! It wasn't funny at all!" 
 
"Well it give everyone you passed something to giggle about, just think of all the people you helped make happy today" Jonghyun smiled as Taemin glared at Jonghyun before storming into Onew's living room to take a seat on the couch.
 
The three of us followed Taemin into the living room only to find Onew nowhere in sight.
 
"Where's Hyung?" Jonghyun questioned as if any of us would know the answer.
 
Rolling my eyes, I turned around.
 
"Marco?!" I called out loud.
 
"Polo!" Onew's voice called back as I followed the voice to find Onew in his kitchen chowing down on a box of pink frosted cupcakes.
 
"Hyung, where'd you get the cupcakes from?" Taemin asked, taking a seat at the island table in the middle of Onew's kitchen which he currently sat at.
 
"I was going to ask Key to make some when you guys got here but I got tired of waiting so I went and bought a whole batch from a bakery. They're nice, want one?" Onew offered as both Jonghyun and Taemin opted to take one while Minho and I declined.
 
"I love how you just expect me to bake when you feel like it" I said sarcasticly.
 
"Like you would have said no" Onew retorted, making me laugh after seeing the pink frosting on Onew's nose that he seemed to be oblivious too.
 
"Whatever" I said, leaning against the wall and taking out my hand phone to go on the internet.
 
"So how was school today?" Onew asked seeming to be interested in our day.
 
"You just had to ask?" Minho sighed which sent Taemin on a rant about Jonghyun's prank on him.
 
Taking out the phobia list from my trouser pocket, I unfolded it to see the next phobia listed on the paper, trying to block out Taemin's and Jonghyun's arguements.
 
Minho came to stand beside me, choosing to also step away from the words being exchanged between the second oldest and youngest of our group for now.
 
"Acrophobia" Minho read from the paper as my own eyes scanned over the foreign word.
 
"I guess it's time to use google again" I said, beginning to bring google up on my handphone when Minho stopped me.
 
"I already know what acrophobia is Hyung, I think you're gonna have a real problem with this phobia" He said softly as Jonghyun and Taemin quietened down to listen to my conversation with Minho.
 
"Why would I have a problem with it?" I questioned curiously.
 
None of Hyoli's former phobias had bothered me, What was so different about acrophobia?
 
"Hyung, acrophobia is a fear of heights" Minho said as I froze, feeling the colour drain from my face as the meaning of acrophobia sank in.
 
"Hyung, you don't look so good. Are you okay?" Taemin asked, sounding slightly cautious as I looked at my 3 other friends who all looked slightly concerned for my wellbeing.
 
"What the hell am I going to do?" I questioned softly.
 
That's right ladies, even Almighty Key Oppa has a fear and that fear happens to be heights.
 
If it's not obvious enough already just to clarify, I am so totally screwed.