Chapter 17

P H O B I A

 

 
Resting my head against my desk the next morning, I heaved out a sigh of despair for anyone who was willing to listen.
 
I had spent the whole night trying to come up with a plan to help Hyoli overcome her fear without me having to face my own.
 
I'd love to get over my fear of heights, I really would but I just don't feel like now or anywhere in the near future is the right time for me.
 
I wasn't prepared to face a fear of my own during the time I agreed to help Hyoli out with her fears.
 
Heaving out another long sigh, my face flat against the desk infront of me, I suddenly felt a pat on my shoulder.
 
"Key, could you quiet down? I'm trying to sleep here" Taemin's groggy voice came from behind as I shrugged off his shoulder and sat upright in my chair.
 
"I don't get it guys, what am I supposed to do? How am I supposed to help Hyoli when one of her phobias is the same as mine?"
 
Jonghyun had yet to arrive into class despite already being at school accoridng the Taemin.
 
Apparently upon arriving, Hyoli had pulled Jonghyun aside to talk to him in private and Taemin had gone ahead wanting to catch a bit of sleep before the school day properly began.
 
So right now, the only people that I could complain to happened to be Minho and Taemin and I wasn't even sure Taemin was paying attention to my worries as much as a friend should.
 
"Hyung, you don't have a phobia of heights. What you have is just a fear. Maybe this is a good thing. Maybe while you're helping Hyoli, you'll also be helping yourself. Try and think positive in this situation" Minho adviced as he leaned back on his chair until he was balancing on the back two legs of the chair.
 
"I don't want to help myself. I'm perfectly fine being afraid of heights. I can't even think of a plan to help Hyoli because it's freaking me out so much"
 
"Which is why Taemin and I have come up with a plan already so you don't need to worry about anything. We won't tell you what it is until the weekend so you shouldn't worry too much. On Saturday morning We'll come pick you up and only then will we tell you what the plan is" Minho explained as I looked at him in paranoia.
 
If Taemin and Minho came up with a plan together, the chance of me disliking it was extremely high.
 
"Can't you just tell me n-" I began only to be cut off by Taemin.
 
"If we told you then you'd find a way to avoid it. We know you too well Hyung"
 
"But that's not fair"
 
"Life normally isn't" Minho grinned making me frown as I kicked one of the back legs of Minho's chair that he still appeared to be balancing on only for Minho to fall onto the floor from the impact.
 
"Yah, Hyung!" He shouted as I ignored him and turned my head away from him in ignorance as Taemin laughed from behind at my little stunt.
 
At that moment, the door to our classroom shot open and in ran Jonghyun.
 
His face was slightly red from all the running he must have done but he seemed to still have enough composure to speak his next sentence which was directed at me.
 
"Dude, you're awesome. I love you man!" He shouted suddely grabbing me into a tight bromance hug which instantly caught the attention of a few girls in our class.
 
"Could...Someone...Help!" I choked out, feeling myself turning red for a whole other reason but Taemin remained quiet while Minho still looked pissed for my trick on him just a few seconds prior.
 
Jonghyun pulled away with a bright smile on his face and at that point I was beginning to panic over the closeness of his face to mine.
 
Was he going to kiss me?
 
"Hyoli just asked me out on a date and it's all thanks to you!" He shouted out in glee as my jaw somehow hung loose from the news.
 
"Hyoli asked you out on a date?" Minho and Taemin chorused the same question which grabbed Jonghyun's attention almost immediately.
 
"It sounds even better when you guys say it" He fanned himself with his right hand as I looked at Taemin and Minho who looked almost as stunned as I was feeling myself right now.
 
"How did this happen?" Minho questioned as Jonghyun took his seat behind him which caused Minho to swivle around to face his oldest Hyung in the class.
 
"I don't know. She asked me to go car shopping with her and she said it was Key that advised her to ask me to go with her. It's this Sunday and I've already got so many ideas of where to take her" Jonghyun sighed, resting his head on the palm of his right hand.
 
Thinking back to the day before when Hyoli had asked me to help her pick out a new car, I remembered one detail that Jonghyun didn't seem to be clued in on.
 
Turned to Jonghyun and tilted my head to the side slightly, hesitant to burst my friends bubble of joy...but for some reason I felt like I needed too.
 
"Jonghyun, you are aware that Hyoli's Halmoni will be there with her, right?" I questioned as Jonghyun looked at me and then at Minho and Taemin who looked equally as curious as me.
 
"What?" He questioned, obviously shocked by my question.
 
"Her Halmoni is going to be there with her on Sunday. So technically, I don't think it can be classed as a real date" I said, choosing my words carefully in order not to annoy Jonghyun.
 
Jonghyun's jaw dropped slightly from the news as Hyoli walked through the classroom door, followed closely by our teacher who quickly began taking registration.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
Waiting for Minho to finish soccer practice after school ended big time but time seemed to pass by quicker than usual today.
 
The reason for this was probably Hyoli who had agreed with Jonghyun's request to hang out with us when school got out after a lot of persuasion.
 
As I watched Minho aim for the goal for the 5th time already, Jonghyun sat behind me in the bleachers watching Taemin and Hyoli talk over homework we had been set that Taemin was having trouble understanding.
 
Jonghyun seemed desperate for Hyoli's attention but her focus was entirely on explaining the problem that Taemin seemed to be struggling with in his work book.
 
Eventually giving up, Jonghyun hopped over the bleacher bench that I sat on only to sit beside me as I watched Minho run around the pitch with his soccer shirt pulled over his head, celebrating his goal.
 
Rolling my eyes, I let out a sigh and looked at Jonghyun expectently.
 
"She's playing hard to get today but I can take it" Jonghyun smiled as I scoffed and turned back to watching my dongsaeng now at the bottom of a dog pile created by his team mates.
 
"Aish, I don't get it. Math hates me" Taemin fummed from behind us, causing Jonghyun and I to turn around to look at Taemin and Hyoli.
 
Taemin messed up his hair in frustration as Hyoli bit her bottom lip before patting Taemin on the back.
 
"It's okay Taemin, you'll get it sooner or later. I could explain it to you again if you want" She slightly comforted, looking to Jonghyun and I for a little bit of help.
 
"It's cool Hyoli, Taemin pretty much brings it on himself. Yah, if you spent more time paying attention in class instead of sleeping you wouldn't be having this problem" Jonghyun scolded as Taemin rolled his eyes.
 
"It's only math I'm having a problem with right now. I'm the one who skipped a grade, so you really shouldn't be scolding me. Besides, you know why I'm always so tired" Taemin frowned as Hyoli looked from Jonghyun to Taemin and then to me curiously.
 
"Taemin's parent's own a dance studio down town. Because it's so busy during the day, Taemin can only use it late at night"
 
"A dance studio?" Hyoli questioned in interest.
 
"Taemin's what you would call a dance prodigy. He's not only smart but he's an amazing dancer too. His parent's don't allow him to use the dance studio if he doesn't been his grades up though" Jonghyun explained further as Hyoli nodded her head along in sync.
 
"What will I need math for anyway? It's not like I want to work in a bank when I graduate" Taemin hissed as I rolled my eyes.
 
"You need math for the basic things in life. It's not just for people who work in banks" 
 
"Ugh, it's stupid" Taemin frowned, shutting his work book in annoyance making Hyoli sigh.
 
She looked like she was about to try again to urge Taemin to try do the problem when Taemin spoke up.
 
"Hey, isn't that Onew Hyung?" Taemin questioned, looking down from the bleachers we sat at.
 
In the distance was a guy walking beside a girl passing the soccer field and talking.
 
The guy closesly resembled Onew, even down to the fashion sense.
 
The girl seemed pretty enough but it wasn't like Onew to approach girls at random, let alone strike up a conversation with them, especially if he was on his own.
 
"That can't be Onew, there's a girl with him" Jonghyun spoke up, pointing out my exact thoughts.
 
At that moment, the guy all our eyes lingered on hit the floor like he had just been hit with a bat.
 
"That's Onew Hyung" He all chorused as I shook my head.
 
He could never keep it cool.
 
"Then who's the girl?" Taemin questioned, for some reason thinking Jonghyun and I would know the answer. 
 
----------------------------
 
Just want to write a quick message to wish SHINee and happy 4th Anniversary!!!
So proud of them XD