Chapter 10

P H O B I A

 

Sunday’s were always my favourite day of the week, It was a perfect day to relax.
 
No school.
 
No early morning wake up call.
 
No jobs to do.
No phobias to cure.
 
It was almost perfect, that is unless you have friends like mine.
 
“Key Hyung, wake up!” A familiar voice shouted in my ear, causing me to fly up on my bed, my eyes wide open.
 
I looked around my room to see Taemin grinning at me by my side while Jonghyun sat on my computer chair with a manhwa in his hands.
 
Minho stood by the door with Onew at his side.
 
“Taemin, quiet down. The last thing we want is for Key Hyung to have a ” Minho rolled his eyes as Taemin frowned.
 
Realization sunk into me as I groaned and pulled my blankets over my head, ignoring the voices around me as I tried to get back to sleep.
 
“Key Hyung, you can’t go back to sleep”
 
“It’s Sunday, no school  so leave me alone” I groaned from under the blanket when it was ripped out of my grasp.
 
My body instinctively formed itself into a ball to save what warmth that was left around me.
 
“True, it is Sunday but Taemin came up with an idea and you know how determined he gets when he sets his mind on something” Onew’s voice rang as I hissed and reluctantly sat up once again.
 
“What idea?” I questioned as Taemin beamed at me upon realizing I was willing to hear him out instead of skipping right to the part where I kick his .
 
“Well when we were talking about Hyoli being alone in that mansion, it got me thinking. Sunday’s are the worst for me because it’s always so boring, even if I’m with you guys-” 
 
“Gee, thanks dude” Jonghyun interrupted as Taemin rolled his eyes and carried on.
 
“But it must be even more boring for Hyoli since she has no one. So I thought we could visit her today and keep her company. We could get to know her a bit better and vice versa, It could come in handy during the time that we help her conquer her phobia’s” Taemin explained as I frowned.
 
“Pabo, You don’t know that for sure”
 
“In a way I think this is just Taemin’s way of saying he wants to get to know Hyoli and I agree with him on this one. It’s a good thing that my best friends want to get to know their future sister-in-law” Jonghyun said, shutting his manhwa book and standing up from off my computer chair.
 
“But we haven’t even been invited, we might end up causing problems for Hyoli” I pointed out as Jonghyun shrugged his shoulders at me, obviously he wasn’t thinking rationally because Hyoli was the centre of the topic.   
 
“Well we can find out. Besides…….I’m bored” Taemin grinned at me as I let out a loud sigh; making no attempt to hide it.
 
“The things I do for friends” I began as I moved off my bed, Taemin pumped his fist in the air knowing it was his victory for today.
 
Ushering them out of my bedroom, I turned around to my closet to pick an outfit out for today.
 
-
 
-
 
-
 
Opening the door to her mansion, a look of pure shock was held on Hyoli’s face at the sight of the 5 of us stood on her door step.
 
“Nuna, we brought cake” Taemin beamed at her, holding up the box with the cake that Onew had bought to give us an alibi for appearing in front of her on a Sunday morning.
 
I stood with my arms folded as I felt Hyoli send me a questioning glance, but I chose to ignore it.
 
I knew I should have put up a better argument to get out of coming here.
 
“Can we come in?” Minho asked softly as I felt Hyoli’s gaze leave me to set her sights on Minho instead.
 
“Oh um, sure. Welcome” She said opening the large door wider for us to step inside.
 
I followed behind Jonghyun who seemed to be nervous at being in Hyoli’s home and it took all my strength not to roll my eyes.
 
I wasn’t in such a good mood today.
 
“ If I knew you were coming over I would have planned something for us to do” Hyoli said sounding slightly awkward and to be honest, I didn’t blame her.
 
Looked around her place, I was impressed with what I could see.
 
It wasn’t that different from Jonghyun’s place except the décor on the walls and the setting out of furniture and etc.
 
Something that Jonghyun’s placed paled in comparison to Hyoli’s place however was the staircase.
 
While Jonghyun’s staircase was pretty spectacular to look at, Hyoli’s was made out of marble that reminded me of a staircase in a palace from a fairytale.
 
“Wow” I happened to hear Onew and Minho breath out in unison.
 
“Can I get you anything? A drink?” Hyoli’s voice pulled my attention back to her.
 
“Coke?” I asked as Hyoli nodded.
 
After me, the others began to give her their preferred drink and Taemin offered to help her.
 
They both began to walk in a direction that I assumed was the kitchen after Hyoli give us directions to the living room.
 
Upon entering, I wasn’t surprised to see that the room was decorated to match the style of the rest of the house.
 
“This place is awesome” Onew said walking over to a stack of DVD’s and CD’s in a corner of the room.
 
“Hey, she has the new B2ST album. I haven’t even managed to get my hands on this yet” Onew beamed over his love for the Kpop idol group B2ST.
 
You’d think he’d be more into SNSD, T-ara, After School or any other type of girl group but no, his loyalty stayed with male groups.
 
Something about Onew that the rest of us could never understand.
 
“Is it just me or does it feel like nobody lives here?” Minho suddenly questioned looking around and I had to admit, it did seem too clean.
 
Even for me.
 
“They probably have maids working around the clock like my family. Just one of the things that proves we are more compatible” Jonghyun shrugged with a smug smile on his face.
 
Sitting down on the couch, it wasn’t long before Hyoli and Taemin rejoined the rest of us with the cake and drinks.
 
“Sorry to keep you guys waiting” she said softly, taking a seat next to me after distributing the pieces of cake out to everyone.
 
Well except Jonghyun who seemed to be more engrossed in the looking through the photographs that were framed and stood up in various parts of the room.
 
“Hyoli, why is there two of you in this photo?” I suddenly heard Jonghyun’s voice question from across the room.
 
Both Hyoli and I looked to Jonghyun who now had hold of a frame with a photo between the glass in his hands.
 
I would have to go over the basics of manners when visiting a person’s house with him later.
 
I frowned at him but Hyoli didn’t seem to mind.
 
The others seemed to be interested as well as they made their way closer to Jonghyun, probably to take a look for themselves.
 
“Wow, Jonghyun’s right” Taemin exclaimed after taking a good look.
 
Hyoli laughed slightly as the boys and myself looked to her questioningly.
 
“There isn’t two of me in that picture. It’s my twin sister. I’m on the right and Hyomi is on the left” 
 
Finally deciding to stand up and take a look, I could see why Jonghyun had thought there were two Hyoli’s.
 
They looked exactly the same, the only different being while Hyoli’s bangs were swept to the left, her sister’s bang were swept to the right.
 
“So you have a twin sister. How come she doesn’t attend the same school?” Taemin asked, walking back to the couch and taking the seat that I had just vacated.
 
Sly Dongsaeng. 
 
A shadow slightly cast over Hyoli’s facial expression and she shrugged her shoulders before speaking.
 
“She isn’t around anymore, Her and my Umma passed away in a hit and run accident. Appa and I survived but they weren’t strong enough to pull through. That was the last photo we all took together”
 
I watched Hyoli carefully as she cut a slice of cake and placed it on a plate for one of us.
 
“I’m sorry” Taemin mumbled as Hyoli laughed slightly and shook her head.
 
“About what? It’s not your fault. You’d obviously be curious after seeing that photo” She assured him, urging him to take the plate with the cake sat on it.
 
Suddenly I felt Minho nudge me in the side, now stood next to me.
 
“I think Taemin just found the trigger to Hyoli’s Amaxophobia” He whispered softly as I nodded my head, my eyes still stuck to Hyoli as she tried to explain to Onew how she got B2ST’s new album and offered him the CD to borrow.
 
Watching her smile as Onew obsessed over the CD that was now in his hands, I couldn't help a smile form on my own face.
 
She was still a mystery and the reasons for her phobias were still unknown but today's visit to her house might not have been a complete waste.
 
I was slowly starting to see there was more to Hyoli than her slightly unapproachable front that she projected in school and something about her made me want to dig deeper into the real Hyoli.
 
Jonghyun always had good taste when it came to girls but I never thought in a million years that it were the same as mine.