Chapter 20

P H O B I A

 

 
"I'm not signing that thing and you can't make me" I protested as the man behind the desk of the white tent we now stood in looked to Minho in surprise.
 
"He will sign it, don't worry. He's just being pissy right now" Minho reassured as I shook my head reluctantly.
 
"Signing that thing just assures this guy here that it's okay if I die up there. It's like your asking me to sign my own death certificate" I protested further as I caught Minho roll his eyes in annoyance before indicating to Hyoli who was near the exit of the tent with Taemin and Onew who were giving her reassuring support after already having signed her piece of paper that Minho was in the process of trying to get me to sign.
 
"Hyoli signed it and she's probably more freaked out than you are right now. You're not going to make her do this all by herself are you?" Minho questioned as I glanced to Hyoli once again and noticed the whites of her eyes were turning a slight pinkish color.
 
Great, she was close to crying.
 
Thinking about it, hearing me kick up such a fuss probably wasn't helping her nerves.
 
Turning back to Minho and the guy behind the desk with the papers infront of him. I slowly picked up the pen and asked "Where do I sign?"
 
Minho quickly beamed and pointed to the two places on the concent form I had to sign before climbing up the tower that was constructed outside only to bungee jump off of it.
 
Minho apparently did this quite often which shocked all of us, Minho was an adrenaline junkie, who would've thought.
 
My shaky hands dropped the pen after scribbling my signiture and almost instantly I regretted it.
 
Before I could scribble it out and back out of it however, Minho twirled me around by the shoulders and began to walk me over to where Taemin, Onew and Hyoli stood.
 
She looked at me nervously as I watched her shake uncontrollably...and this was before we were even up the tower.
 
"Where's Jonghyun?" I asked, noticing the absense of the short male of our group.
 
"I think he's outside of the tent. He's preparing something for the two of you" Taemin grinned, almost as if he knew what Jonghyun was preparing.
 
Tilting my head to the side, Onew stepped to the side so that the exit of the tent was easy for Hyoli and I to walk through.
 
Stepping out into the sunlight, I turned to where our car was parked to see Jonghyun stood there with what seemed to be a large piece of cloth with magic marker that spelled out 'Hyoli & Key HWAITING!' along with colourful decorations around the large bubble writting.
 
Taemin quickly ran over to Jonghyun's side and helped him hold it up as I noticed Hyoli's eyes scan over the writing like mine had done seconds before.
 
"Just something we prepared to make today's phobia just a little bit easier to conquer" Taemin smiled at the two of us.
 
"I love how my name isn't on the banner though" Minho feigned annoyance as he folded his arms.
 
"You apparently do this on a daily basis without us knowing so excuse me for wanting to decorate the banner without it being cluttered with bubble writing" Jonghyun protested as Minho scoffed.
 
"Because Minho is such a long name-" He began sarcastically only for Onew cut him off mid-sentence.
 
"Isn't it time the three of you get your bums up that tower?" He asked which instantly put him in my bad books for today.
 
I always knew Onew disliked me, it was so obvious from all the times he had fell over in the past and taken me down with him.
 
"He's right. We better get up there. The guys aren't going to wait all day" Minho heaved a sigh, looking up at the tower infront of us.
 
"Guys?" Hyoli softly asked but recieved no answer from Minho.
 
"You can do it. We'll be cheering for you!" Taemin said as he wafted the part of the banner he was holding much to Jonghyun's annoyance.
 
"Taemin don't do that. The glitter with fall off" He scolded as Taemin playfully pouted at him only to recieve a roll of Jonghyun's eyes as a reply.
 
"Just don't look down and you should be fine" Onew said to me with a comforting pat on my shoulder.
 
Easier said than done.
 
"Lets head up. Lucky for us, the elevator is working today" Minho grinned as he walked forward towards the bottom of the high tower.
 
Looking back at my three other friends, they all sent reassuring smiles in Hyoli's and my direction.
 
In the moment that I my heel to follow Minho, I felt a quick tug on the bottom of my shirt from behind me.
 
Glancing back, I saw Hyoli right behind me, her hand clinging to my shirt.
 
Almost as if I were here comfort blanket, like a child would have on their first day at a new school just to get them through the day.
 
As much as I felt a sense of pride about being such an important person to Hyoli right now, I was a bit of a nervous wreck myself and as much as I hated to admit it, the fact that she was stretching out the bottom of my shirt just added onto my annoyance.
 
Heaving a sigh, I took hold of the hand that clung to my shirt and allowed her to hold onto my hand instead as the two of us made our way to Minho who was stood at the bottom of the tower, an elevator now infront of him that planned to take us up to the highest point of the tower.
 
-
 
 
-
 
 
-
 
"I can't do this. I really can't do this" Hyoli repeated as she crouched down on the platform we now stood on, her fingers curled into her hair which was pulled back into a messy bun today.
 
The paniced tone making her voice crack as she chanted the same sentences over and over again, refusing to move from where we had stepped off from the elevator.
 
"She's right, we can't do this!" I snapped in a defensive manner at Minho who had yet to saying something that could annoy me.
 
I remained standing but my legs were shaking in fear as I tried not to look over the platform railings.
 
I could tell that we were up high, I didn't need to look down just to prove what I already knew.
 
"Friends of your's Minho?" Asked one of the guys who stood at the edge of the platform with a harness wrapped around his waist for what I think was a safety precaution while working up here.
 
"I'm beginning to wonder. Come on guys. Once you get this over and done with then you'll be fine" Minho clapped his hands as if his words would comfort us in some way.
 
Boy, was he in for a shock.
 
"First timers?" Came the man's voice who seemed completely fine while standing at the edge of the platform.
 
"Is it that obvious? Okay guys. To make this easier and probably faster, you both are going to jump before me. You have a choice. You can jump solo or you can jump together? It's your choice" Minho informed us as a shiver ran down my spine just thinking about jumping from this height.
 
"That's going to be kind of hard since I'm not jumping" I snapped, my own voice cracking this time.
 
"What?" I heard Hyoli quiver from beside my feet, her teary eyes looking up at me in worry.
 
"Key, if you don't do this then there's a big chance that Hyoli won't either and then that means you won't be able to cure all of her phobia's" Minho informed me as I looked down at Hyoli who had now started the rock back and forth slowly.
 
Why did she always do that in these sort of situations anyway?
 
Was she just trying to worry people?
 
She looked up at me once again upon realizing my eyes lingered over her image.
 
Heaving out a heavy groan of defeat and annoyance, I slowly took hold of one of Hyoli's arms and helped her up onto her feet as she looked at me questioningly with the tears still building up in her eyes.
 
Turning to Minho who already held a proud smile on his face I wrapped my arms around Hyoli's shoulder before speaking up once again.
 
"We'll jump together..." I mumbled as Minho burst into a full on grin and nodded his head.
 
"Well then, lets get to it" He said before turning around and motioning for me to follow him as he made his way towards the man at the end of the platform.
 
"Danyeol Hyung. They'll be jumping together and I'll be jumping solo like usual" Minho informed the man who nodded his head in reply and handed Minho two harnesses. 
 
One harness just looked like the one that the man named Danyeol was wearing while the one that Minho turned and handed to me looked like 2 harnesses that were connected together.
 
After I watched Minho put his own harness on, I turned to Hyoli and tried to guide myself and her into our own which took longer than I first anticipated.
 
Eventually, we were ready to go.
 
The sound of Hyoli's sobs were becoming uncontrollable for her as Minho urged the two of us to stand at the end of the platform, right by Danyeol who checked to see it our harness was on securely as well as hooking up a wire to the harness to ensure that when we jump, we would bounce back up instead of hitting the group below us.
 
Somehow, my nerves were beginning to act up once again.
 
"When two people jump it's important that you are both facing each other and holding onto one another" Danyeol explained as I turned to face Hyoli who took hold of my shirt once again.
 
"And when he says hold onto each other, he means something like a hug position" Minho called out to us as I looked down at Hyoli who let go of my shirt reluctantly.
 
Heaving out a sigh, I found my arms wapped around her waist as her own arms wrapped around my lower back.
 
I'd be lying if I said her grip wasn't tight but I was more concerned about the butterflies that began to flap around in my stomach upon embracing Hyoli which pushed my nervous feelings aside.
 
Looking down at Hyoli, her tears were falling fast as she turned her head to the side and resting it on my chest in anticipation.
 
"You're free to jump whenever" Danyeol informed us as I nodded and looked back down at Hyoli who had her eyes squeezed shut.
 
"On the count of three, okay?" I asked her as she nodded her head slowly but still refused to open her eyes.
 
Closing my own eyes, I inhaled a deep breath.
 
"Hyoli, keep hold of me. One...Two...Three!"