Nothing Gained

Fly, Karma Butterfly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

NOTHING GAINED (NOTHING PART I)
(TaengSic)

 

 

The girl sits at the café as a million thoughts run through her mind. She has been feeling distant from a certain someone, a special someone. She can’t even remember the last time she spent a full hour just basking in the presence of the person she loves so much. It’s worrying her, even if she doesn’t admit it. She has seen too many breakups for her liking and she used to think that it would never happen to her. She isn’t so sure now. It bothers her. It bothers her a whole lot. She doesn’t know what to do, so she does nothing. This way, she thinks that life would do the same too – nothing, and nothing is a big deal to her right now because it means nothing gained, and nothing lost.

 

“A penny for your thoughts?”

 

Her ears perk up and she raises her head almost automatically. “Hey,” she greets with little exhaustion. “Sit. And you’re late, Sunny.”

 

Sunny smiles before she settles herself in comfortably. “It is you who is early, Jessica. Which, by the way, is very weird.”

 

“Shut up,” Jessica retorts with a glare.

 

Sunny laughs, amused at how short-tempered her friend is. “Alright, alright. Drinks are on me tonight. A refreshing Americano for you?”

 

Jessica only stares blankly at her friend. “Coffee at night?” She shakes her head, responding to the mini conversation she just started with herself. “Besides, I’m in the mood for some drinks. You know, drinks drinks.”

 

As if she is surprised, Sunny slightly leans in as she crosses her arms that are resting on the table. “I don’t think they actually have the kind of wine that you like, though.”

 

Jessica shakes her head for the second time that night. “I just wanna take my mind off—” She pauses abruptly. Off what, exactly? Not wanting to think about it at this point in time, she simply heaves a sigh. “We could always do with some drinks in life.” She smiles, even though a hint of sadness shows in her eyes.

 

Sunny doesn’t say anything else. She nods before she calls out to the server to place the order. She has always been able to tell when something isn’t right with her friend. However, she makes no attempt to question the girl before her, at least not before the drinks arrive. She listens to Jessica talk about her work, about Jessica’s sister’s graduation, about how her friend claimed that he hated the taste of whiskey but yet loved Chivas Regal, only to be embarrassingly notified by Jessica that Chivas Regal is whiskey, but never for once did Jessica mention someone whom she is expecting her to.

 

It is only after a few drinks that Sunny’s eyes meet Jessica’s as she sits laidback on her chair. “Are you…” she begins softly, but pauses for a short moment to monitor Jessica’s reaction. Sunny clears , and then she continues, “Are you still seeing her?” She refrains from mentioning that name.

 

Jessica freezes just before she takes a sip out of her glass. She blinks for a couple of times and then she gulps the entire glass down, much to Sunny’s surprise. Setting her glass down slowly, she brings her eyes back to meet the girl’s. She lightly nods as she hums a response. “Why would you ask that?”

 

Sunny’s expression tells Jessica that she definitely did not expect that question. “Oh uh… I just— As in yeah I was just asking. Just wondering, you know.” No way. Jessica understands that look. However, she says nothing except to maintain a quiet eye contact with t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter