I'm Not Usually Like This

Fly, Karma Butterfly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'M NOT USUALLY LIKE THIS
(TaengSic)
OST: Girls' Generation-TTS - Cater 2 U (Acoustic version)
 

 

Jessica doesn't know when it all started. Those cheeks. Those eyes. That long wavy hair. That petite body. She sits in front of her computer, her hand on the keyboard and on that arm lies her other hand. She can't stop thinking of that girl, and she's constantly smiling without knowing.

"Sis!" She jumps at the sudden voice behind her and she turns to send an annoyed glare to the culprit who is none other than her own little sister Krystal.

"Are you courting death?" Jessica threatens, but it doesn't wipe away the smile on Krystal's face.

"Is she the one who's making you so happy these days? Kim...Taeyeon?" The younger girl's words send Jessica into panic mode. She doesn't remember telling Krystal a single bit about that girl.

"How did you—"

Krystal juts out her lower lip towards her computer screen and she automatically switches her attention to her computer. Jessica can feel embarrassment overcoming her when she sees Taeyeon's Instagram page on that screen and she slams her laptop's cover down as quickly as she can.

"I see someone's embarrassed," Krystal teases yet again and Jessica threatens to throw a punch at her.

"Get back to your room idiot," Jessica scolds as she rolls her eyes.

"Is she like from your school?" Krystal doesn't give up.

"Stop asking."

"Are you guys taking the same course?"

"I said stop asking Jung Soojung," Jessica snaps.

Krystal shrugs as she turns to make her way back to her room. "My sister is so gay!" She manages to say just before she leaves the room, successfully dodging the cushion that Jessica sends flying at her.

Making sure that Krystal is no longer in sight, Jessica opens her laptop once more and Taeyeon's pictures on Instagram stare back at her. "She's right, you know? I'm so ga— No wait, I just really like you a lot. Argh, I miss you," Jessica complains under her breath as she scratches the side of her head absent-mindedly.

 

Jessica sits at a wooden table somewhere in school alone staring at a blank drawing paper. She taps her pencil on the table with a slow rhythm. She is supposed to be thinking of a design for a wedding dress that has to be submitted in a few days' time, but nothing regarding that comes to mind. She wonders what Taeyeon is doing. Is she in class? Is she having lunch? Jessica misses that girl's smile.

"Hey Sica!" Someone calls out from behind.

"Mmm..." Jessica replies lazily, not bothering to turn at all.

"Do you wanna go get lunch or something?"

Jessica doesn't know why, but she starts imagining herself asking Taeyeon that question instead. She smiles. Then, she realises that she's just in a daze, and her smile fades. "I don't think so..."

"Do you always bury yourself in work like that?" Jessica senses the cheeky tone and she starts to get a little annoyed.

"It's not about the work Kwon Yur—" She finally turns her head to face Yuri, or the girl whom she thinks is Yuri. But the rest of the sentence disappears when she realises who is actually standing behind her. "Uh... I— This— I thought you were Yuri. Sorry..."

Taeyeon grins, and Jessica can't help but to laugh as she scratches the back of her head. "It's okay. Are you sure you don't wanna get lunch? 'Cause if you aren't going then I'm just gonna go get some—"

"Yes! Yes I'd love to!" Jessica's reply is a little more enthusiastic than Taeyeon expects, and Jessica wishes she can slap herself for being so embarrassing.

"Well..." Taeyeon doesn't stop grinning. "Okay then pack up and let's go get food."

Jessica packs fast, and it doesn't take long for both girls to be making their way out of school to the Korean barbeque restaurant that Taeyeon recommends.

"Who else are we meeting there?" Jessica suddenly asks.

"Hmm?" Taeyeon doesn't seem to hear her question well.

"Are we meeting anyone there?" Jessica repeats her question.

"Oh." Taeyeon thinks for a little while, and then she smiles. "Nope."

Her reply catches Jessica offguard. "No?"

"I didn't ask anyone else."

Jessica dies of happiness inside, but she doesn't show it. She acts like she's nonchalant about it, and she replies, "Ah..."

"Why?"

Taeyeon's question surprises Jessica yet again, but the girl only shakes her head.

In no time, the girls are comfortably seated in the restaurant, and portions of meat are served. Jessica doesn't usually make an effort to grill those meat, because she is scared as hell of the sizzling oil that splatters everywhere on her precious arms. But today, she tries. She cheers herself on internally, before she picks up a piece of meat and lands it safely on the grill. She smiles when she succeeds, her confidence rising. However, the next thing she knows, she lets out a short, but piercing dolphin scream when the oil splatters onto her hand while she is trying to flip the meat.

Even though Taeyeon bursts out laughing immediately, Jessica doesn't have the time to get embarrassed, because Taeyeon grabs the tongs out of her hand. "I'll do it." She smiles warmly, and Jessica loses herself in that smile to be able to feel anything else.

"But I—" Jessica thinks that she should be just a little bit more independent, at least in front of Taeyeon.

"It's okay, really. Just help me cut the cooked ones into smaller pieces."

"Okay," Jessica answers. She feels like she will agree to anything Taeyeon says.

It is about half an hour later, when Jessica notices the beads of perspiration which are forming on Taeyeon's head. She wants to wipe them off for her, but she can't find the courage. So, she stares with concerned eyes. It makes her look creepy instead, but she doesn't realise. However, Taeyeon realises that Jessica isn't eating, and she switches her attention to the girl instead, only to find her staring at her.

"What?" Taeyeon asks the girl, and the girl snaps back to reality.

"Huh? Oh... Uh... You..." Jessica strugg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter