Utterly Unsure

Saving You

Hana

I didn't know what else to do. I don't go anywhere except home, university, to YongBae or the library. I have no other friends - that will talk to me - except Tao and he was one of the people I was trying to avoid. So I ran away. I ran to where I knew I could hide and yet be free. 

I went to the park. The one behind the library where everyone reads their books or where people attempt to play sport. When I got there I just lay down. There wasn't much else I could do. I couldn't go to the library and borrow a book, Jiyong would look there. And my card was already full... 

I am currently walking around in circles under a tree.

How could I be such an idiot? It takes guts to confess. It takes even more to tell your possible rival. And yet. They both of them did it. The two of them even discussed it. Then confessed to me. At the same time. And I shot them both down. 

Before confessing myself. 

To both of them.

I sigh, sitting down under the large tree and throw my hands up over my head and letting them fall on my face. This has done too much damage to everything already. Falling for your best friend is bad enough, but then falling for the person that is being paid to keep you sane at the same time...? That has to top all those stupid dramas that I mentioned... 

Sure the girls always fall for the guy that treats them like she doesn’t exist, or she is the only thing that does exist, the guy that tends to be a snooty head. Like Kim Tan in The Heirs, he is snooty but sweet, and controlling in a ‘date me or I will make you date me’ kind of way… Which is kind of cute… Maybe…

Why does JiYong have to be that guy? And why does Tao have to be the sweetest piece of cuteness ever? Even with his awkward sentence structure and misuse of words he still says the right things when it is needed.

Why do I have to like both of them?

Sighing again I lay down and roll onto my stomach. And close my eyes.

I had run out of the house.

Out of my house.

I left them there.

I made this worse.

Letting out a whine I decide to give up. I curl up and just cry out of frustration.

 

It is much later that I wake up to someone shaking my shoulder. At first I hope that it is Tao or Jiyong who are here to take me home, but to my disappointment it is someone I don’t know.

“Miss?” He asks. The boy is wearing a high school uniform and is carrying several books under his left arm. He has an angular face and is obviously studying pretty hard by the dark circles beneath his eyes. “Excuse me, miss?”

I sit up and nod for him to continue while I stretch, I should really shouldn’t nap in public places…

“Um, are you okay?” he asks tentatively. “You were here when I went to school and then you were still here asleep when I was coming home…”

“Huh? Really?” I look at my wrist and nearly hit myself for being stupid enough to forget my watch.

“It’s nearly four… Are you okay?” he asks again.

Sighing I shake my head, “Not really, but it will be okay… I hope…”

He sits down next to me, putting his books in between us like a barrier. “You can talk to me. I know I am a stranger but I am a good listener. And I might be able to help.”

I look at him in shock, “Really kid? When I was younger and saw someone sleeping in the park I would have run as fast as I could away from that person. Not approach them and ask them if they need to talk.”

The boy simply shrugs, “I have nothing else to do, so why not talk to you?” he flashes a smile, “Besides, if you are homeless you look pretty decent for it.”

I laugh, seriously, homeless? That isn’t what he thought when he saw me asleep under a tree?

“Hmm… I know, I am Seunghyun by the way, I am in my senior year preparing to enter university soon.” He taps his books, “I borrow from the library here to expand my knowledge, but really,” opening the top book I see that he has placed a men’s magazine inside it, “I read this.”

Again I laugh, “How much more cliché can you get kid?”

Seunghyun giggles, “Yeah, I know, but no one has worked it out yet. So I think it’s a great plan.” He shuts the book and faces the building in front of us, and as our laughter dies down he asks, “So, now that I am not so much a stranger, tell me why were you sleeping here?”

Fidgeting with my fingers, I bite my lip. “It’s pretty complicated, and more than likely just as cliché as your men’s magazine…”

He laughs, “I don’t think anything is that cliché to be honest. But lay it on me.”

“Well…” I sigh and lay back again, “at the moment, my life seems like something from a drama…”

“A drama? What sort?”

“Have you ever seen The Heirs? Or Mary Stayed Out All Night?”

He nods, “I saw a few episodes of the Heirs; my mother watched it.”

“You know how those two guys fight for the girls love? That is what is happening to me right now. My best friend and this guy that I have to live with both confessed to me this morning. They said…” I pause, “I can’t believe it actually happened, and I can’t believe I am telling you this either.”

Seunghyun shrugs, “Weirder things have happened.”

“I guess they have.”

“Continue.” He mutters, laying back and covering his eyes with his hand.

“Okay… so they said they both wanted to fight for my heart like they do in dramas, a competition for my heart. And, after I yelled at them, I accidently told them how I felt…”

Looking over at Seunghyun I watch as he nods, “And, because you are having a drama type day, I am guessing you like them both?”

“You’re on the money kid.” I sigh. “And now I don’t know what to do. I am completely utterly unsure of what I should do. I feel stupid for telling them, I feel like a complete idiot for running away, and I feel worse for telling a half stranger that I did that.”

We lay in silence for a while, Seunghyun humming occasionally, while I bite my lip.

“Just go with it.” He says after a while. “I would.”

Laughing, I nod. “I guess it’s the only thing I can do, isn’t it?”

“Yup.” He laughs with me.

We talk some more, about how things would go if they truly were from a drama. And I tell him to hide his magazines before we exchange emails and we part ways, stating that we could become partners in crime. And, as I walk home, I rethink what we said.

It really is the only thing I can do.