Fever

Saving You

JiYong

Somehow, it happened.

We had prepared for it. Stocked up on vitamins, readied our systems for an onslaught of illnesses. And yet, still, she got sick.

Not just any sick, but high temperature, feeling nauseous sick.  

I am going to blame that Tao kid. For the past few days all they’ve done is hang out in the library. Sometimes they don’t even do work. They just sit there and talk… The Chinese kid struggles a bit, and it’s quite funny but… It’s really unfair… It has taken me a month to even get Hana to stop and listen to me, and just have a basic conversation… And yet in a matter of days Tao has managed to learn more about her.

I thought Hana was meant to be anti-social.

“Do you have any friends?”

“No. Not anymore… They all moved abroad to study and we just don’t talk anymore. It doesn’t bother me.”

I know it’s not really Tao’s fault, he has made her more cheerful. And she doesn’t work during her breaks in class as much anymore, instead she talks to him. Teaching him how to string together words to form proper sentences…

In a way, I think I am just a bit jealous that he is doing my job better than I am…

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“She’s cold, she isn’t eating… and I have no idea what to do…” I say into the phone, hoping that DaMi will give some sort of advice to me.

At the moment, Hana is asleep… Well, she was last I checked on her. But from midnight last night to now she has been shivering. Teeth chattering loudly. I don’t think I have slept since I first heard her throw up in the hall way. I had gotten up to find her crying and shivering half way to the bathroom. I took her back to bed and covered her with blankets before I cleaned up the mess.

It was disgusting.

“You just need to look after her like I looked after you when we were little… Remember?”

I nod, DaMi has always been there for me, not always the best big sister but always there when I needed her. We argue a lot, like most siblings, but we know that we love each other and that’s the main thing. Ever since moving in to Hana’s I haven’t seen her as much as I would have wished. But that’s okay because she is preparing for the launch party of her new shop Rare Market.

“JiYong? If you are nodding like an idiot, please remember that we aren’t in front of each other or on video chat…”

“Oh… Sorry DaMi… I’m just really worried… Hana and I aren’t really close… I don’t know how I am meant to look after her well…”

“Yet you live with her…?”

“It’s my job.”

“To babysit… Right… Okay, well, I wish you luck with that. Just remember to make soup for her and keep her forehead cold while the rest of her is warm. And a bucket next to her bed just in case.”

“What if things get worse?”

“Then prick her finger…? I don’t know. Call a doctor idiot.”

“Okay DaMi. Good luck…”

“You too idiot. I love you.” She mutters, before the phone goes dead. Not even giving me the chance to reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Are you still cold?” I ask her. Hana is bright red in the face, and although she is shaking like a leaf under two thick blankets and the four others that I found around the house, she is still hot to touch when I change the cold washer on her forehead.

“Y…Yes…” she stutters, her eyes are closed and her teeth are chattering.

“What should I do…?” I mutter, “I’ll be back, I’m going to look for more blankets.”

She nods, sitting up slightly to cough. It’s hoarse and yet I feel like she is going to throw up at any second…

I rush out of the room and into the kitchen, looking for her cold and flu medicine that she said was in the cupboard earlier. After I got off the phone with DaMi Hana had woken up, and I had to do a basic check with her. What drugs did she have where, where were her blankets because the ones off my bed were on her. I asked her where everything I may need would be.

To be honest, I have no clue what I would need to make her get better faster…

I find the medicine and grab a spoon, walking back in to her room I stand awkwardly next to her bed.

“J…Just sit… i…idiot…” she stutters.

I do as I am asked, and sit on the edge of her bed, “I got some medicine for you, if you take it you should feel better soon…”

Slowly, I pour the sticky liquid onto the spoon, and hold it close to her face.

“Take it.”

She does as I ask, and slowly places over the spoon and swallowing the sweet liquid. I grab her water bottle and hand it to her, instructing her to drink in order to get rid of the foul taste that is more than likely still in .

“T…Thank you…” she stutters again, laying back down and curling up around JuJu – who is somewhere under the blankets.

I get up and take the spoon and medicine back to the kitchen. I put the stove on and start boiling water and chicken stock.

Looking in the linen cupboard – again – I come up empty for blankets.

Moving back to the kitchen I throw some corn pieces and cooked chicken into the broth and pray that Hana will eat it later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hana

“J…JiYong…?” I try to call out, but I feel so tired that it is barely a whisper. My eyes are still closed, they are too heavy to open.

I’m hungry, I’m nauseous, I’m cold, I’m hot and it’s all at the same time…

“JiYong…?” I say a little louder. I want water…

I know that he is around here somewhere. I can hear him breathing…

“Hana. Just sleep. When you wake up the soup will be ready okay?” he says.

He is so close by. He is talking quietly… Why is he so quite…?

I try to roll on to my side and feel a heavy weight shift with me and cold is brought to my side.

“Huh…?” I slowly open my eyes, and look around.

“Hana, I’m trying to keep you warm okay? I’m not doing anything weird…”

JiYong has his arms and legs over my body, while his body is trying to stay as far away as possible. He isn’t under the blankets but I can feel his warmth through all the layers I have on.

“You’re warm…” I mutter and curl into his chest, right now, all I want to be is warm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JiYong

I don’t know what made me do it. I just couldn’t stand the fact that she was shivering so much. Her face was so pained, even though she slept… And when she woke up she didn’t even care, she just moved closer, curled into a ball.

I would never tell anyone that she wasn’t adorable when she slept. That would be my secret.

I smile to myself.

She really does look cute. Her features are soft, incredibly relaxed even though half an hour ago she was shivering and had a frown on her face. I wish I had a book or something to read instead of staring creepily at her face… I would sleep but she struggled so much trying to call my name before… I’m scared that she will wake up while I sleep and struggle to say something like “I need to throw up get off me.”

I chuckle to myself. Slowly I move off the bed. It’s nearly two o’clock in the afternoon, and she hasn’t eaten at all. The soup was ready when she woke before but she was too tired to open her eyes, I wasn’t going to force her to eat.

Once in the kitchen I dish up two bowls of the soup, one for me, one for Hana. I eat mine as quick as I can.

I mean, what if she wakes up and I’m not there to help her?

After putting my bowl in the dishwasher I carry Hana’s to her room and sit it on her bedside table before gently nudging her to wake up.

“Hana…?” I whisper, “Hana, wake up and eat something…”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hana

JiYong kept nudging me, pushing me until I sat up. I didn’t even open my eyes when he fed me, I just ate. Surprisingly it was really good. Plain but good and exactly what I needed, chicken and corn. JiYong kept muttering about how I needed to get better to do well in classes and that I had an assignment I would fall behind in and how he was going to miss out on time to write more music.

I ignored him.

Just smiled and nodded until he stop talking so regularly.

Eventually I opened my eyes as he was retrieving more soup for me. He was smiling, and blushing, about what I have no idea, but when he looked up and saw I had opened my eyes he reddened.

“I don’t normally feed people when they’re sick. So don’t tell anyone okay?”

I just nod and finish off the soup before falling back to sleep, JiYong’s arms and legs over my body as I curl up into his chest.

 

A/N:: Hey guys.... So... I've finished my assessment handed it in and stuff, and now, all I have to do is an exam. XD I'm so ready to just write for you. 

And considering I finished my asssessment, I got a sudden burst of energy to write alllll of this. I am pretty sure it is the longet chapter yet. I know it kind of jumps around a bit but it has to. Hana was sick... 

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. Thank you to those who subscribed and please comment.

Until next time <3