Day 1: Must I Be With You?

When I End The Days' Without You

Sooyoung's Pov

After Tiffany confrontation, I let out some of my background. The real background of my family. I wanted to do nothing with my uncle and Celine. But I think we all don’t have a choice. The old man is getting madder and madder as he grows older. I hope this won’t end up like the hunger games. It’s already terrifying that I’m related to him. But what’s more terrifying is that Celine is related to me. I actually didn’t had much memory of her.

She wasn’t the most pro-active person in term of socialising. We barely talked.

 Yet I know she was my cousin. I suspected it since the day I met her. It wasn’t her indifferences but her facial expression and her way of speech reflects greatly and similarly to my uncle and my granduncle. I was afraid that my hunch wasn’t correct. Hence I took most of my free time research for articles. Articles about my uncle and maybe a possible girlfriend? It didn’t took long to be sure of her identity. I took my guts and friendliness to approach her. To find more about her. Who knew that she was actually quite talkative? It became a routine for me to find out more about her till the day she spill the beans that she is my uncle’s daughter. However the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard was… She had a surrogate father.

“Hey!”

“Oh hello.”

“Where have you been?”

“I’m was at the practise room.”

“Hey do you wanna grab some food?”

“Your treat?”

“Yah! How can you ask me for a treat! You know food is the next precious thing other than my life!”

“Ok. How about I treat you? Where do you want to go?”

“Just follow me.”

I dragged her across the streets and finally found the café that I was finding for.

“Ta-da we’re here.”

“Wow! This place sure look classy.”

“Yeah. They serve the best food in town.”

“And... the price is not cheap too!”

“You said you were gonna treat.”

I pouted. It’s strange. I hardly show my aegyo to anyone one even my family. She looked at my reaction and sighed.

“Alright. I will treat you. Just this time. Next time don’t bring me here or anywhere where the food are expensive.”

“Ah…Okay. No next time.”

“You order as much as you want. I need to go to the washroom.”

“Kay!”

As she left, incidentally without her wallet. I searched her wallet. Looking for possible clues or family pictures. However to my astonishment, I found a gold American Express card.

So her mom must be rich?

Which means I will need to take the conversation to the part of her family background that should include heavily on her mom’s occupation.

“Oh you’re back.”

I acted as innocently as I could.

“Had you ordered already?”

“Yes. So…I’m quite curious about your family.”

“’Um….”

“Hey I told you about mine already why not yours?”

“…”

“Well?”

“Well. I’m not comfortable with this topic.”

“But we’re friends. Right? Friends should trust each other.”

“We will see about that.”

“So I heard that you’re from a single parent family?”

“Yes. I live with my mom. I don’t have a real dad. My dad is a surrogate donor.”

“Huh?”

“You didn’t heard it wrong.”

“…”

“My family is quite messed up. I grew in L.A. and I went back and forth to Seoul till now.”

“So… you’re permanently staying in Seoul?”

“Yes most likely.”

“So ... I think is weird to ask this, But do you have a lot of money?”

“You mean that if I’m rich?”

“Um…yes…”

“Yes I’m rich. I’m actually an heir. So…if this trainee thing doesn’t work out, I will just work at my company...”

“…oh I see.”

She’s may not be my cousin?

I once failed tracking her identity. Yet like the earth which spins around continuously, it will be back at the same spot after a year. I finally knew and confirmed her identity after Sica regained her childhood memories. It was practically all things about her. She was more than an acquaintance but a Best Friend that almost gave her life to…save her. Sica was clearly upset that she left without a word. She even went to her house to find her. But it just gave me another bigger clue. A clue that told me that she’s my cousin. Sica told us that she meet Celine’s dad. The Seoul Blues CEO.

Bingo

That very year, I saw her in a Christmas performance where I was there early to catch a glimpse of her hugging her dad and also talking to the old man. I was more than sure that she is my cousin. I knew now that I can never need to take over a position that I won’t want to do for the rest of my life.

 But she instead will have to….

I was reminiscing about the past that I almost forgotten that time is ticking. I had to save me cousin before the Hunger Games starts. I quickly dialled a number that I had never dial at least for a year or so. 

“Hello.”

“Hello. Uncle it’s me Sooyoungnie.”

“Ahh…Sooyoung what’s the occasion.”

“Celine.”

“Yes. Please excuse me while.”

“Ok…you’re safe to speak right now.”

“Um… What happened?”

“My father is mad. He wants to destroy Lora industries. But you know Celine is technically the heir of Lora industries so that’s quite impossible.”

“So what happens now?”

“The old man is gonna hide her from her maternal side of the family and hoping that you would grab the opportunity and destroy your cousin.”

“My cousin?”

“Yes. He wants to make a deal that all stocks and contracts will be transferred to Celine and then eat up Lora industries.”

“So … She’s is in deep deep trouble.”

“Technically. My daughter is not dumb. My dad clearly don’t know some things about her. So she had a large advantage.”

“So…What will happen to me?”

“My father takes his business relationships seriously… He never forgave me for being with Celine’s mom. He didn’t hate Celine’s mom but her grandparents. He hated that when they were young, there were some things about girls and business dealings that made them having a fall out in their relationship. Thus they never brought up me till there’s a day. When Celine found her mom drunk talking about me. Giving her a head start to find me.”

“Which she did… find you all by herself and kept it a secret?”

“Yes. I can never understand her way of thinking. She could had it all. Everything, whatever she wants to be. She could be…in what professional, emotions, loss and gain. She could handle it. I can’t…understand her. Not at all.”

“What will I get? I have nothing to do with Seoul Blues. Since Celine is a genius, why can’t you let her escape by herself?”

“Because! It involves you too!”

“I don’t care about the old man!”

“That old man as you call him, can offer Lee Soo Man a large a money and you will be out of the group in this very second!”

“Can’t you help her instead?”

“No! We cannot help as her guardian. But Sooyoung you can!”

“I know…where is she?”

“Your Granduncle is in touch with Lee Soo Man ssi now. His gonna go for the concert. That’s when I need you to hide your cousin.”

“How? For your information, I’m Girls’ Generation Sooyoung now. Not the grandniece of Seoul Blues Company!”

“Well, Celine’s mother is almost in L.A. she will arrive and cause some distraction.”

“Why?”

“We are now focusing on Celine’s future. She will, in the end merge both of the company.”

“So why is the old man kidnapping her out of the blue.”

“She had a nasty habit of running away since young. The first time she ran, she ended up losing Sica. She almost died too. She went back to Seoul before her maternal grandparents brought her back. All by herself with the expenses she earned from selling patent rights. Then there was a time that her contracts ended with Cube Entertainment, and her maternal grandparents was about to make her the co-CEO she ran away. We didn’t find her till the CEO of Cube entertainment told us that she just signed another contract with him. That was about half a year later.”

“…”

“She cannot be underestimated. Like grandfather like granddaughter.”

“…”

“I’m sure that you have the similar genes inherited from you great-grandfather.”

“…”

“Sooyoung. She’s will be in the hotel within 5 minutes.”

“What? Are you in the same hotel as me???”

“Yes. There are plenty of bodyguards lying around.”

“No! I MEAN. I mean why didn’t you come and talk to me?”

“I’m sure that you will sort it out.”

“How?”

“Your room number?”

“2805”

“I will rely that to her. Be ready for some action!”

“Uncle!!!”

HE HUNG UP!!!

 

Celine’s Pov

In the end. I’m still have to be in a boring lunch thing with my grandfather and Lee Soo Man. I was completely disinterested in their conversation. I was staring at the people around. Completely jealous of their freedom. The privacy and being to enjoy the moment they are in. I really miss that. I know I couldn’t run away forever. I know that it’s quite difficult to leave my family behind. But I was hoping that both sides of my grandparents will die sooner or later so that my family of 3 can actually be a family. My parents can get married and I can be the boss of both companies. That was my goal and my future that I hoped. But some things just can’t be the way you wanted to be. It’s just life. I didn’t notice they were talking about Sooyoung and me till I was being blocked of the view by the bodyguards who gave me a mean stare!

“Grandfather and Mr Lee. I’m wondering if you could excuse me to go to the hotel and take a rest first?”

“Yes of course! You look wiped out. But sadly I’m not the one in charge… Mr Choi is.”

“Grandfather may I?”

“Why? Are you gonna run?”

“I think you have been mistaken. I just need some rest. If you don’t want your game piece ending up in the hospital fighting for her dear life.”

“You may go.”

“I’m not finished. I don’t see why you have to drag me half across the globe for some lunch thing. I have a job and a pet to take care of!”

“Yes I know. Now go!”

“I have responsibilities. Not like you!”

“Enough! Go now before I punch you.”

“Threatening me right?!”

“You…”

“Have a nice day Mr Lee. Hope to see you soon.”

“Me too.”

“You…”

“I will see you in the hotel old man.”

I hastily left with some of the bodyguards. Hoping that my plan would work. I know a few flaws of myself that I never seen it from my maternal side of the family.

So the old man may react badly to certain actions…

That’s why I was trying to piss him off. Which is quite successful. I don’t even feel sorry that he will have to take his emergency Coronary heart disease meds. I just felt apathetic. I was having a great time. I even started chatting with the bodyguards and the driver. It felt nice. They felt sorry for me too. But told them it’s okay. At least they had the heart to sympathise with my situation. I told them slash warn them.

“Be as professional as you can be. I’m not as flimsy as I seem.”

“You must be joking!”

Plan B worked. I’m no genius. I can feel the smirk in my heart. After a few moments, I arrived at the hotel. And was escorted directly to the president suite. There I saw my father.

“Dad! Where’s the toilet I feel like puking.”

“There!”

“Help me!”

“Okay!”

We went into the toilet. The bodyguards at least respected our privacy. There’s a sound proof walls in between the washroom and the bedroom. I quickly told my father.

“Dad!”

“Go to room 2805.”

“Okay.”

Then with a bit of acting. I made myself looking pale and sick. And went back to the living room were the guards are with the help of my father.

“I don’t feel too good.”

“I will call a doctor.”

“…”

“Guards go and get a doctor. The best in the state.”

“Sir…”

“Now!!!”

My dad is just as great in acting like me. I can’t help to think how similar we both are. I love him. He is the best thing that ever happened in my life. After my father order’s, most of the guards tried to stay but was in fear by my father’s anger and left. Breaking the thoughts of my gratitude. Leaving only one, who’s trying not to fall asleep? Thus I ordered him to play some lounge music. Which immediately made him sleepier and eventually snoring. Grabbing the chance my dad hurriedly gave me layers of clothes to disguise. After that…

“Good luck!”

“To you too!”

I ran out. Not bothering to take the elevator I ran to the stairs. Flying down as fast as possible. I took off some layers and hid it in some laundry baskets that I found at some floors that I passed. I ran from level 60 to 28. It was not the worst moments of my life.

 I was trained for this situations I know what to do.

I reached my destination within 5 minutes according to the phone that my dad gave me to keep in touch. I switched it to airplane mode right after I received it. I know better not to be tracked. I took a breath and put on the best smile I could and knocked on the door. And the smile disappears right when… I saw the stoic face of Jessica Jung.

 

Emotions last! Survival first.

 

Jessica’s Pov

I was in my room preparing to grab some lunch at the famous skyline restaurant in the hotel. Tiffany came in and was all teary and looking for someone to talk to. As her friend and best friend, I tried to comfort her as much as I could.

Stubborn as a mule! She won’t talk.

“If you need me to ease your sadness…Firstly tell me what happened.”

“I..I..I..she…she…she..”

“Huh? Okay calm down and let take this thing slowly.”

“She’s…”

“Who?”

“Then the doorbell rang again.”

“Who is it?”

I walked to the door peephole and saw Sooyoung. All dressed up.

Ironic? She’s the least sporty person I have ever met and she’s all dressed up for a hike?

“Sica! How much cash do you have?”

“Why?”

“Don’t ask first just give me what you have. I will return you later on.”

“Sooyoung –ah…What’s going on?”

“Jessica this isn’t the time to explain.”

“What’s in the world is going on with you two?”

“Nothing!”

“Then explain why is Tiffany crying and why you are dress like that and asking for money. As if…you’re running away?”

“…”

“You are running away right!”

“…”

“Tell me in this instance! Choi SOOYOUNG!!!”

At that moment the doorbell rang again. Not another person who’s going to disturb my peace and hunger. I went to open the door expecting another member running to me for something. But…

Not a member? Oh…….

“Let me come in first.”

She spoke in great urgency and hushes. My emotions became jumbled up. I was happy and sad. I was shocked. Till she slammed the door. Sooyoung without a word went into the washroom with her and locked the door. To make the sure that neither Tiffany nor I hear any part of their conversation, one of them on the shower and the other the tap to drown their voices. I practically heard nothing.

Nothing at all. This is what I get right after she leaves me in the hands of others and meeting her for the first time in a while?

I cannot hold my emotions any longer. It’s wearing me out. I went to Tiffany and we both brawl out loud. We can barely breathe till we finally calmed down around 10 minutes later. Till then the shower and the tap was still running. We held each other. Both of us felt grieve…of meeting her and seeing her in pain again. My heart was swelling up just like Tiffany’s one too. We both knew her lifestyle and ideologies. She was the closest person we could ever gotten. Now we have to protect her…

“What happened?”

“I don’t know. This morning…maknae asked me whether I’m willing to give Celine my phone number….”

“And?”

“I rejected her even though Namjoo of Apink…”

“Aah I’m close with her member Naeun.”

“Namjoo called Seohyun because she said that Celine is being kidnapped to L.A. by her grandfather.”

“Which is a bit unbelievable if you don’t know her family background.”

“Not her maternal grandfather, her paternal one!”

“What!!! Another deranged grandpa!”

“Yes. I rejected her anyways and then when I was in the car, my uncle called me using a public phone.”

“Huh?”

“Uncle Matthew, the doctor!”

“Why him?”

“He was coincidentally gave treatment to the granddaughter of one of his biggest client.”

“Celine.”

“Yes and he asked me to pass the phone to Sooyoung.”

“So that he could rely the situation to one of us to help her?”

“Nope. Listen closely.”

“Why are you whispering?”

“Sooyoung and Celine are cousins. Celine’s grandpa is Sooyoung’s granduncle.”

“Omona.”

“Yes and there is a conspiracy. They think that one of them may die.”

“…”

As soon as Tiffany finished her last sentence. The shower went off. Coming out was two angry woman trying to ignore one and other.

“Sorry Jessica…and Tiffany…”

“…”

“I need to go now…”

“So you are leaving me again!”

Tiffany spoke out. My heart was like hers.

Breaking at every single word she said.

“Jessica Jung! Focus! Did you get the cash I ask of you?”

“What?”

“Now! We both need to go now.”

“No! I’m not going with you. Goodbye Sica. Goodbye Fany-ah.”

She tearfully whispers.

“Celine Choi!”

“I am nothing to you and you’re nothing to me. CHOI SOOYOUNG SSI”

What happened?

 

“…”

“Let’s just put away out differences and leave now!”

“…”

“Hey! I’m sorry. Can’t we go? Now?”

I could see she’s balling up.

The things between the two cousins doesn’t seem to work out?

“Why must it be you? Sooyoung.”

“I am thinking the same thing too. Why you?”

“Don’t leave me!”

I cried out.

"...."

"Jessica you are not getting it. This is a emergency."

"Sorry..."

 

Oh no…am I or will be wrong to be selfish to hold onto her emotions while she needs to be with Sooyoung?

Now?

Running again?