chapter fourteen

zenith - sm entertainment's newest girl group! // discontinued...

Soyu's POV

"Na eotteokhae...
Na ireohke...
Da neo ttaeme...
Na amugeotdo halsu eobtjanha nan neol-"

"Soso, just come out of there," Saera said, abruptly cutting off the instrumental track. "Let Miyoung or I have a go at it."

"No no no, I can do this," I said, unintentionally puffing out my cheeks. "Let me have one more try and then I'll come out, ok?"

"Babe, you've been at it for fifteen minutes already," Saera said, refusing to start the music again. "Come out and take a break, then you can take another crack at it, ok?"

"... Fine." I said, reluctantly hanging up my headphones and exiting the booth. Miyoung, who passed me on her way into the recording booth, patted my shoulder reassuringly before making her way towards the microphone, adjusting the headphones as she waited for Saera to start the music.

Flopping down onto the couch, I whipped out my phone, checking to see if I had any recent texts. Two from little miss Ji Soomi, something about 'I have an evaluation next week come help me with my rapping', one from Jongdae, one from... Hello...

 

From: Unknown Number

Tell Sarah to stop texting our leader gushy , it's making us all sick.

 

I did a double take at the weird, out of nowhere message before firing back a reply.

 

To: Unknown Number

Who the hell is this.

From: Unknown Number

It's me, you dumb .

From: Unknown Number

And for Christ's sake, Dr. Pabo, stop texting in English.

 
 

"YAH!" I screeched, making everyone in the room jump. "Who the hell gave Tree Boy my number?!"

"I did," Saera said, not even tearing her eyes away from the sound board. "He asked, so I complied."

"Seriously..." I muttered, saving his number in my phone before texting back.

 

To: Tree Boy

You shut your mouth, Tree Boy.

To: Tree Boy

Also, why the hell do you want my number?

From: Tree Boy

To save our group from our gushy as leader.

From: Tree Boy

Seriously, they're basically making out over text. I've read it.

From: Tree Boy

Does the rest of your group know?

To: Tree Boy

Now that you mention it...

 

"Hey, Saera?" I said, unable to hide the growing smirk on my face. "Who do you keep texting?"

"Oh, nobody," Saera said, eyes still glued to Miyoung and the sound board.

"Really?" I said, flashing a huge grin. "Because Tree Boy says you're texting his leader some very interesting things right now."

"YAH!" Saera screamed, whirling around in her chair to face me. She opened to say something, but the damage was already done.

"Jung Saera, do you have a BOYFRIEND?!" Olivia shrieked, clapping her hands as she laughed. "Details, now!"

"W-what?" Saera said as the rest of us started bombarding her with questions. "What do you want me to tell you?"

"How YOU ended up dating the leader of Infinite!" Danni squealed, shimmying on the couch. "C'mon, spill!"

"And how the hell did YOU know about this?" Miyoung asked me as she exited the recording booth.

"They almost made out in front of me at our debut party," I said, laughing. "I'm surprised no one else found out."

"Details, details!" Olivia demanded. "You gotta tell us the whole thing!"

"Start from the beginning!" Miyoung laughed, flopping down onto the couch.

"Ok, ok..." Saera sighed, leaning back into her seat. "I attended a couple of Infinite fan signings back before Zenith was created, and I gave him some song lyrics I had composed on his birthdays. Apparently he remembered me the next time I went to a fan signing because we talked afterwards, I told him I was an SM trainee, and the rest is history."

"Which, to the rest of you, translates to 'they've been a thing since 'The Chaser' came out'." I said.

"How the have you hidden it for so long?!" Miyoung said. "Everyone knew the minute Jonghyun asked Ahkum out, it was so flippin' obvious."

"I did a really ing good job," Saera laughed. "Only Infinite and you guys know."

"Which means we have three relationships to hide from Mimi." Olivia pointed out. "So no PDA if you see each other, you three, got it?"

"Got it," Ahkum, Saera, and Danni chorused.

"KIDS! Get in the ing van, we have to get back to the dorm to pack for China!" Mimi yelled, sticking her head into the recording studio.

"Jeezus, you really don't sound like a e right now," I drawled, getting up and stretching.

"We'll be right out, Mimi," Saera said, shutting down the booth.

"How's the album coming along?" Mimi said, herding the rest of us out the door.

"Pretty good," Saera said, smirking. "All we need to do now is teach our Im Soyu how to sing and we'll be perfect."

"I heard that, and although I agree with your statement, I will not give you the satisfaction of letting you get away with it," I said, waltzing out of the room. "Expect to find a lizard in your bed when you get back, mark my words."

 

Olivia's POV

"Hello, Shanghai!"

Our initial introductions to the crowd were meet with enormous amounts of cheering and whistling. Because the extent of my Chinese was 'Hello, my name is Olivia, it's nice to meet you', the rest of the group let Ahkum and Miyoung do most of the talking, since they were the two most proficient members.

"Thank you so much for greeting us so kindly," Ahkum said in Chinese. "Zenith will continue to work hard to make all of our fans proud."

"We'll be back later for some special stages, but for now, our f(x) unnies are going to take the stage," Miyoung said. "Thank you, and see you later!"

The seven of us bowed before rushing towards the stairs that lead to the backstage area as the lights dimmed. I managed to feel my way down the steps without tripping over anything (though the sound of clattering heels and moans of pain told me that Danni hadn't been so lucky).

"You coming, Ollie?" Miyoung screamed over the sounds of the fans screaming and the music of 'Red Light'.

"In a minute!" I yelled back. "I'm gonna stay to watch Krystal's stage."

Miyoung flashed a smile and a thumbs up before disappearing into the chaos that was the backstage area. I spotted Baekhyun, who was apparently all ready to go onstage, waiting in the wings, watching the performance as well, so I went over to say hi.

"Your cousin's killing it!" Baekhyun yelled as he saw me approaching. "They're all doing so well!"

"I know!" I laughed. "The Jungs are just that fabulous, it's all in the genes."

He laughed and gave me an affectionate noogie before the two of us turned our attention back to the performance. We both sang along, and Baekhyun hit some extremely impressive girl group moves that I didn't know he had in him.

The two of us were cheering along with the rest of the crowd as f(x) hit their final pose, and the two of us positioned ourselves to high-five the group as they came down the stairs. However, in the growing darkness of the stage, I saw one of the members fall on the stairs. Thinking one of the members had pulled a Danni, I rushed over to help her stand back up and find her way backstage. When I got over to her, however, I found that she hadn't actually tripped.

"Krystal? Krystal!" I shrieked, rushing over to my cousin. It was too dark to accurately determine what had happened, but Krystal's eyes were closed and she was breathing heavily, which didn't mean she had tripped; she had passed out on her way down the stairs.

"Everyone back up! There's a van coming this way, everyone get back!" A stage hand ordered, trying to bring order to the chaos and confusion over what had just happened.

"What the happened?" I screeched as a random person wrenched me away from Krystal, who was being loaded into the van. "What the hell's going on?"

"Krystal fainted," f(x)'s manager said as he made his way past me. "We're pretty sure it's fatigue, but we're taking her to the hospital right now."

"What?! Fatigue? How hard has she been working?!" I screamed as the manager rushed past me, entering the van and driving off.

"Olivia, calm down," Baekhyun said, although his face held a good amount of worry in it as well. He tried to place his hands on my shoulder, but I slapped them away instantly.

"Do not tell me to calm down!" I snapped. "Krystal is a ing anemic and she just passed out, there's something wro-"

"Olivia, that is not how you talk to your elders, now is it?"

I stiffened and narrowed my eyes as Taeyeon waltzed up from behind Baekhyun, coming to stop next to him.

"Hello, Taeyeon-ssi," I said, my words laced with venom. "What brings you here?"

"TTS is going up as soon as the video is over," Taeyeon said, motioning towards the screen. "I was preparing to go onstage and sing, but I'm afraid your rabid screeching has broken everyone's concentration, and I don't think that you should be talking to Baekhyun like that."

"Lovely," I said through gritted teeth. "Meanwhile, my anemic cousin has just fainted onstage, and nobody is giving me a straight answer. Sorry for messing up your mojo or whatever, I'll leave you and Baekhyun alone so you can sing Kumbayah or something."

"Ollie, wait-" Baekhyun said, but I had stormed off before he could say anything else. Pushing past the backstage crew and various labelmates, I collapsed in the first secluded corner I found and started sobbing. Jessica was gone, Krystal was so overworked she had fainted, Taeyeon was a crazy , Tao was a two-timer...

"Ollie? Are you ok?"

Wiping away tears, I looked up to see Yixing looking down at me, a mixture of relief and pity written all over his face.

"Hey, Unicorn," I said half-heartedly, sniffling. "What brings you here?"

"Baekhyun seemed pretty worried about you, Chanyeol and I split up to find you," Yixing said, taking a seat next to me. "Now, what brings you here?"

"Oh, nothing really..." I chuckled weakly, wiping away a few stray tears. "Just... stressed."

"About?" Yixing prompted, rubbing my shoulders.

"Things..." I said, burying my face into my hands. "Jessica was kicked out of Girls' Generation just because she wanted to pursue business. Krystal just fainted five minutes ago and nobody's telling me anything. Tao is-"

"Ohmygosh, Ollie, I'm so sorry!" Baekhyun said, immediately scooping me up into a giant bear hug. "I'm so so so SO sorry!"

"B-baekhyun... I can't breathe..." I gasped as he continued to squeeze the life out of me.

"I'm sorry about Krystal and I'm sorry about Taeyeon, I know how much she gets to you," Baekhyun said, releasing me from his death grip.

"I'm sorry I was a crazy ..." I said as Baekhyun and Yixing both pulled me into another hug. "Thanks, guys."

"That's what sunbaes are for," Yixing laughed. "To make sure their hoobaes don't go crazy."

 

Saera's POV

I sat back on one of the couches in our dressing room, relaxing as the rest of the members bustled around, preparing for their special stages. Because I would only be playing the piano for Danni, Jolie, and Olivia's 'Crazy in Love' stage, the stylists decided to prep me last, since I had one of the easiest stage outfits.

I got up and stretched when someone knocked on the door. It was clear that no one else had the time (or hands) to answer the door, so I yelled a quick 'I'll get it' to the rest of the room before opening the door.

"Oh, Chanyeol," I said, coming face-to-face with the rapper of EXO. "What's up?"

"Is Olivia in there?" Chanyeol asked, shielding his eyes from our dressing room. "Krystal fainted onstage and Olivia got super pissed, according to Baekhyun. She ran off somewhere, Yixing and I are out trying to find her."

"No, she hasn't been back since we got offstage," I said, stepping into the hallway. "Is she ok?"

"We think so?" Chanyeol said, rubbing the back of his neck. "It's Olivia, we all know how she gets when she's angry."

"Was Taeyeon there?" I asked, leaning against the wall. "Olivia hates a lot of things in this world, but Kim Taeyeon is probably #1 on that list."

"Yeah, she was," Chanyeol sighed, looking down the hallway. "It's like adding fuel to the fire, I swear."

"Well, I'd help you look for her, but the stylists need to go make me look pretty so I can go play the piano onstage," I laughed.

"Aww, but you already look pretty," Chanyeol said, sticking his tongue out.

"Thanks, Yeollie," I said, smiling. "But I better head back in there or the stylists will kill me. If you see Ollie, send her back this way, ok?"

"Ok, will do," Chanyeol said, his smile wavering ever so slightly.

I reached for the doorknob, but before I could turn the handle, I felt a hand grasp my shoulder, preventing me from entering our dressing room. Turning around, I came face to face with Chanyeol, a look of sheer determination on his face.

"Jung Saera, I like you," He said. "Go out with me."

I stared at him, a million thoughts racing through my mind. My best friend, my first friend at SM... He liked me. For how long, I don't know. But I did know one thing, and that would make it impossible for me and him to be together.

"Yeollie... I'm so sorry..." I said, averting my eyes. "I'm... already seeing someone."

"... Oh..." He said, his hand slowly leaving my shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Yeollie..." I said, unable to meet his gaze. "I... just wanted us to be good friends. You'll always be my friend... but... I don't love you like that. You're like an older brother to me."

"... I see..." Chanyeol murmured.

"... I'm sorry..." I muttered, wrenching the door to the dressing room open and raced inside, leaving Chanyeol alone in the hallway.