Not A Fairytale

Just Another Cinderella Story

 

“Seohyun!! Where's my juice?? I've been asking for it a minute ago already!!” yelled a middle aged woman as she crossed her arms unhappily.

 

“Yes mother! I'll prepare it in just a second,” replied Seohyun with her head stretched out a bit in case her step-mother couldn't hear her voice from the kitchen.

 

Seohyun sighed as she put the glass of orange juice on the tray. Everyday her life is repeating itself with the same order of events yet different scenes each day.

 

The girl nearly tripped when she was about to head to the garden. Seohyun would have complained if it wasn't for the Princess Spoiled a.k.a Eun Hee, her step-sister's presence.

 

Seohyun knew perfectly that her step-sister had purposefully made a mess in the living room and made a pile of mess towards the garden. For Eun Hee, it would be great if Seohyun had 'accidentally' trip.

 

Too bad though, Seohyun's trained and well-prepared for it. She's use to finding her way among the maze her older sister had set out.

 

Picking up her pace, Seohyun went out to search for her mother, who's probably busying herself with a magazine by the pool. “Here you go, mother...” said Seohyun as she placed the juice on the table.

 

“Urgh! What took you so long? My throat is completely dry!” complained Mrs. Park instead of saying 'thank you'.

 

Seohyun said nothing back as she's aware of what might happen if she does. “What are you doing there standing like a fool?!? Don't you have work to do? Or you want me to add more?” scolded the old woman.

 

“No mother, I'll do my work now...” Seohyun excused herself and left silently. Seohyun thought she's left alone now but sadly enough someone just had to bother her.

 

“Yah~Brainiac! Why aren't you cleaning up the living room? Do you want me to report to omma?” threathened Eun Hee as she leaned herself against the entrance.

 

“Aniyo! I'll go clean it up!” replied Seohyun as she walked pass her doll-like sister without glancing once at her.

 

Grabbing a plastic bag, Seohyun dumped all the trash inside and can't help but think how miserable her life is. Sometimes she wonder what life would be if her parents were still alive. One thing she's sure of is that she wouldn't be treated as a maid like how she's currently treated.

 

Later, the busy girl heard a victory chant coming from a little boy. A soft smile appeared on Seohyun's face as she turned to look for her little brother.

 

Mun Hee, he's just like the prince in the family. He is Seohyun's half-brother. From the whole family Seohyun is closest with Mun Hee since he's the only who she can talk to without feeling ostracized.

 

“Seohyun noona!” called out the boy as he rushed to her side. “Noona, my team won the soccer match again!” Seohyun can't help but feel happy as well seing the little boy so full of joy.

 

“Of course, your team won! They have Mun Hee in the team, don't they?” said Seohyun as she mess up the boy's hair.

 

“Noona's right! I even made two goals!” said Mun Hee being proud of his accomplishment.

 

“Wah jinjja? I see a celebration coming up!” Seohyun smiled at her brother as he jumped around with joy, “Why don't you go clean up and I'll cook you some delicious meal?”

 

Mun Hee nodded his head excitedly as he ran up the stairs towards his room. At last, Seohyun felt her day had gone slightly better.

 

Seohyun quickly tidy the spot around her and went out to throw the trash. Good thing she was quick enough before her step-mother comes in and check on the living room.

 

“Seohyun!!” shouted her mother from inside the house. Seohyun perked up and sprint inside the house expecting another scolding or some sort.

 

“Yes mother?” asked Seohyun as she arrived on the spot. “What is this?” demanded Mrs. Park as she held up a box of empty cigarettes.

 

Seohyun's eyes went as wide as possible, “Th-at...” The girl couldn't help but wonder how it could end up on the couch plus it is banned by mother who apparently has asthma.

 

“I-I don't know, mother,” replied Seohyun, her eyes searching around for the one and only person she could think of right now. True enough, Eun Hee was standing by the stairs with a wide smirk as she watched Seohyun getting scolded over and over again.

 

“Do you know how much I hate these stuff?” asked the old woman as she tossed the empty box aside. “Get rid of it! And let me warn you, Seo Joo hyun, if ever I catch you smoking in my house or anywhere else you might as well face nightmare with me!” warned omma with a deadly glare.

 

Seohyun can't help but gulped at the intimidation. She thought she's immune to it but no, her step-mother will always find a new way to bring her walls down and just like that Seohyun would feel exposed without any shield on, free to being attack by her step-mother and step-sister, next.

 

Just as expected, Eun Hee waltz down the stairs with a huge victory smirk. “Huh! I thought I asked you to clean up...” mocked the girl, “Guess you didn't clean your own mess!”

 

“It wasn't mine! I think it would most likely be unnie's since I saw a pack in your room when I clean your room...” answered Seohyun as she told the truth.

 

Seohyun stormed up to a tiny squared room used as her bedroom, leaving Eun Hee jaw hanging open. She plopped herself on the edge of the bed as she gently picked up the snowglobe, a gift from her father. A tear dropped as the girl stared at her most precious possession.

 

Appa, life is not a fairytale as I thought it would be...”