Chapter Five – IT’S RAINING ON THE EAST SEA

So, What Happens Now?

 

Okay, mianhae for the delay, but something I read a while ago ruined my thoughts as to how this chapter is supposed to go, completely reformatting my brain! Dongsaengs, you know who you are...stop bugging me for the link. It's not for you! LOL!

 

I felt warm air against my eyes, when I opened my eyes, I saw an angelic face staring at me. But the angelic face has the devil’s smile on his eyes. Uh-oh! What now?

 

 

DongHae: Hi! Are you Kyuhyun’s girlfriend? (~he never moved away from me as he said this, his face only a few inches away from mine~)

 

Me: What? No! (~trying to move away from him, but as big as the couch was, somehow, there was no room for me to move~)

 

DongHae: Leeteuk hyung’s?

 

I shake my head “no”.

 

DongHae: Heechul hyung?

 

Shake.

 

DongHae: Yesung’s?!?!

 

Shake.

 

DongHae: EunHyuk? No, you wouldn’t be his, he’s not that good… Siwon’s?

 

Shake.

 

DongHae: Sungmin’s? Wookie’s?

 

Me: What? Are you crazy or something? I’m not ANYBODY’s girlfriend!

 

DongHae: Great! (~he moved even closer, if that was possible~) Then…will you be mine?

 

Me: Lee DongHae, I know judo…and God help you if you don’t move off me this instant.

 

DongHae: Hey! (~He moved away a bit…maybe a couple of inches~) I’m asking you politely here. I was watching you sleep for some time now and I realized I like you. (~evil smile again~)

 

Me: You are the most incorrigible flirt I have ever met. And your lines stink like old socks soaked in kimchi juice! I’m your new PR Manager, ROMEO!!!

DongHae: (~moving off to the side…finally~!) Ha ha! So, THAT’s what you are! I was worried somebody managed to slip past security we got invaded by fans.

 

Me: And you flirt so horribly with your fans? Geez, it’s a miracle you’re so popular, then! Aren’t you even going to greet me properly?

 

DongHae: Oh! And where are my manners? (~Stands up, straightens his clothes and bows~) Good afternoon..no, wait, good evening! I am Lee DongHae of Super Juinor. May I know your name?

 

Me: Crap, you at being sarcastic, too!  My name is Rain Jang, as I said, I’m your PR manager. I live next door. You can call me or drop by if you need anything, but spare me the flirtatiousness, it’s giving me goosebumps!

 

DongHae: Actually, Leeteuk hyung called me in Thailand to tell me about you, I was just teasing. But I had doubts that it was you, you barely look older than KyuHyun.

 

Me: You’re one to talk. You’re only about as tall as I am!
 

DongHae: Yeouch! No talk of heights, please! Sore spot! Anyway, what are you doing here and where is everybody?

 

Me: They all went out, except for Kyuhyun, who is hell-bent on ruining his eyesight in front of the computer. I spent the day here, getting to know the members.

 

DongHae: I’m a member, too! When are we, uhm, spending the day getting to know each other? Are you free for dinner?

 

Me: DongHae, the only way we can co-exist peacefully is if you stop that gigolo act on me. I think I’m gonna like the guy I see behind that.

 

DongHae: Ha ha ha! That’s something refreshing, someone who wasn’t affected by my charms. I think we can be friends.

 

Me: Great, then. Friends it is. You must be tired from your journey. Do you want something to eat? I can prepare something.

 

DongHae: That’s a tempting offer, but is that even your responsibility? You’re in charge of PR, not of the house. Even our manager never cooked for us.

 

Me: I was offering as a friend, dimwit!

 

DongHae: Ah, yes! I knew that. I must be jetlagged. Okay, if it’s not too much trouble. I’ll just go get changed.

 

Me: yeah, see you in a bit.

 

I prepared a small sandwich for Fishy, and waited for him in the kitchen, but after almost an hour and he hasn’t come out yet, I decided to look for him.

 

I put the sandwich and a glass of juice on a tray and went to the hallway leading to the bedrooms. Earlier today, Shindong gave me a brief tour of the apartment, so, I had an idea of which room belongs to which person. Pausing outside the door that I knew to be DongHae’s, I was about to knock when I heard a soft sound from inside. As if someone was crying.

 

I opened the door a crack.

 

Me: DongHae, is it okay if I come in?

 

DongHae: (~sounding like he was sniffling~) Uh, yeah, just give me a second. Please come in, sorry I made you wait.

 

When I entered the room, I found him sitting on the bed, his nose and eyes red.

 

Me: Oh, is anything wrong?

 

DongHae: No, sorry, I was just sad.

 

Me: Huh? That one is obvious. Care to tell me why? It sometimes help to have somebody listening, you know.

 

DongHae: Uh, it’s just a stupid thing.

 

Me: Nothing stupid makes a grown man cry. Spill it, boy!

 

DongHae: Aisshh, you say I’m a grown man and then call me “boy”. Contradictory.

 

Me: That’s because you’re contradictory. Come on! Friends, remember?

 

DongHae: Okay. I feel sad because it’s August eight and I got my paycheck from my Thailand schedule.

 

Me: And getting a paycheck makes you sad? Ah, give it to me, than, Imma spend it for you. That’s what a true friend would do.

 

DongHae: Ha ha! You are my friend. Now you almost wiped away my melancholy. Actually, I was looking at the paycheck and I was thinking: if only I was getting this much four years ago…I would’ve made him soooo proud of me!

 

Me: (~Sensing that this was something deep~) Go on…

 

DongHae: It’s my Dad. He died Four years ago today. I wasn’t with him because I was busy. But is I was only half as successful then as I am now, I would’ve made him so happy! (~And tears started to fall again…in torrents. He tried to stop his crying by tilting his head back and pinching the bridge of his nose, but it made him cry even harder~)

 

 

Me:  Oh, my! Hae, I think your dad…though I never knew him…is so proud of you then, and he’s still proud of you now!

 

DongHae: Inside me, I know that, but I just can’t help it! (~And his arms came around me…wait, this isn’t an act, is it? I hope not, or I’ll kill him!~)

 

Me: Shhh..it’s okay. Just let it out. You’ll be fine!

 

DongHae: Thanks a lot, noona. I really needed this.

 

Me: Uh-huh. Why don’t you have some sandwich and then get some sleep. You’re melancholy because you’re tired.

 

DongHae: Can you do me a favor and stay for a bit, just until I fall asleep?

 

Me: ah, such a little boy after all. Sure, friend, I’m staying.

 

So, I sat there by DongHae’s bed talking softly about nothing in particular for almost an hour until he finally drifted off to sleep. I slowly sat up, so as not to wake him, and slowly  walked out the room, closing the door gently.

 

But then, a loud thud right behind me gave me a scare. Something heavy fell, almost hitting my foot, and a loud voice said incredulously: “ Rain?!? What are you doing in DongHae’s room?!?!”