Chapter Twenty – TRYING TO GET A GRIP

So, What Happens Now?

 

In spite of a sleepless night, I was up early.

 

I was thinking about how to conduct my job without letting my problems get in the way. I even seriously considered quitting altogether, but I remember my promise to Diana: I will not quit on life, I will struggle to face my problems and not ignore them.

 

In the end, I decided that for now, I’m going to have to ignore them. I have two days to go through here in Seoul before we leave for Manila. Surely, I can manage to avoid Siwon for two days, as I will be very busy tying up loose ends at the office. When I get to Manila, I want to talk to my best friend, air all my problems out, so that I’ll know what to do next.

 

I came out of my room, dressed to go to work, and found Heechul reclining on my couch as if he owns it.

 

Me: Hey, King of the World…you don’t own that couch.

 

Heechul: Pity, it’s such a comfortable couch, and I’m a guy who likes everything comfortable.

 

Me: Okay, you’re not here this early to tell me what you like or dislike. Spit it out! What’s the deal?

 

Heechul: I’m uncomfortable in my room.

 

Me: And that concerns me in what way? I’m not responsible for your living arrangements.

 

Heechul: No, but you may be responsible for the guy whose room is next to mine, and who got home at around four this morning, slobbering drunk, and went into my room by mistake. He practically fell unconscious on top of me.

 

Me: (~looking away and packing up my laptop~) I have no idea what you’re talking about. If one of your group members gets drunk on his day off, and in private, you discuss it with Leeteuk or with your manager. If he creates a scandal, that’s when I deal with it.

 

Hechul: Let’s stop skirting about the issue, Rain. It’s me you’re talking to. What’s wrong?

 

Me: (~Giving up and sitting on the bean bag next to him~) We had a fight, okay?

 

Heechul: Already?

 

Me: (~blushing~) Oh, if you know all the “already”s that have happened…

 

Heechul: I have an idea…you and I, there’s this weird thing, really, which is a pity because I now feel that I can’t make a move on you if I wanted to…

 

Me: (~Laughing at that statement~) If you make a move on me, it’s like making a move on yourself!

 

Heechul: Exactly. Which is why I don’t. And which is also why I’m not surprised at how fast things are going between the two of you, from your standpoint. From his, I’m just glad he’s learning to seize what he really wants before it gets away,it’s about time.

 

Me: I’m not. I wish I took my time. I wish I took nothing at all, really…

 

Heechul: You don’t mean that. He’s a good guy, trust me.

 

Me: He may be a good guy from your end, but believe me, I’ve been burnt badly by the so-called quintessential good guy before.

 

Heechul: So, what do you want to do?

 

Me: Forget about all of it.

 

Heechul: Not an option, it’ll destroy the both of you, trying to ignore it.

 

Me: I can just leave, and never return. I can disappear.

 

Heechul: You don’t know Siwon. Eventually, he’ll find you. He has the means.

 

Me: And that’s exactly what I’m afraid of!

 

Heechul: You don’t have to be afraid of him, but I get your point. You need a break. How can I help?

 

Me: Just…I suppose just keep him away from me for a while. I have two days, and tons of work to get done. Then I’ll be gone for five days on a business trip. I’ll sort myself out in that time, but I don’t want him interfering. Next week, I’ll deal with all of it.

 

Heechul: That’s it?

 

Me: Yes.

 

Heechul: Promise me you won’t hurt him. He’s like a brother to me, you know.

 

Me: I swear.

 

Heechul: Then, you won’t break up?

 

Me: That, I can’t promise.

 

Heechul: But that’ll…..

 

Me: Heechul, please!!

 

Heechul: (~Raising both hands in the air~) Okay, fine, fine! You’ll be away for five days and he’ll have shooting for his drama, that’ll take care of that. Today, he’s gonna have the mother of all hang-overs, so you’re safe. Tomorrow is a Sunday, he’ll go to Church….

 

I looked pleadingly at him…

 

Heechul: (~Looking like he wants to tear all his hair out~) OKAY!!! I’m going with him..that’ll keep him busy….geezzz…you owe me…I’m going to Church..CHURCH!!!!

 

Me: (~Feeling much lighter now~) Thanks, Heechul, you’re a true friend.

 

Heechul: (~Still shaking his head~) Me and Church…aissshh!!

 

Me: (~As I was walking out the door~) You’ll be blessed!

 

And I closed the door before the pillow hit me.