Chapter One - WHAT’S THE JOB AGAIN?

So, What Happens Now?

 

I was deep in my thoughts when a shadow fell over me and my cup of coffee…

 

“Ahhh…excuse me…”I heard a deep voice say hesitatingly in heavily-accented English, “Are you Ms.Jang? Mr.Han is waiting for you.”

 

I looked up to stare, wide-eyed, at perhaps one of the most handsome faces I will ever lay my eyes on. About six feet tall, wearing a simple pair of black jeans and a white button-down shirt, he had the body of a model and the face of an angel. Of course, I wouldn’t have landed this job if I didn’t know who it was…Choi Siwon of Super Junior, I was told that I will be working with them a lot.

 

 

(~Now speaking in Korean, mine obviously not quite fluent~)

 

 

Me: Hi, yes I am. You must be Choi Siwon, if I’m not mistaken?

 

Siwon: (~extends his hand in greeting, Western style~) Ah, thank God you actually speak Korean! Yes, I am Siwon. Director Han asked me to find you, he’s ready for you now. Are those your bags? Why don’t I help you with them? (~And proceeds to carry my luggage, all three of them~)

 

 

I managed to shake myself out of my daze and catch up to him.

 

 

Me: Hey, Siwon-ssi! Please, I can manage with the luggage. It’s too much!

 

Siwon: No,Miss, I can handle it. It’s not right for you to be carrying these when I am around. I am used to carrying things, I am, after all, called The Black Horse of Super Junior! (~And he bows in typical Siwon fashion~)

 

 

I just can’t help but laugh out loud. Siwon can be very stiff and very funny at the same time.

 

 

Me: Okay, then, Black Horse. But please don’t call me “Miss”, I’m not used to it. You can, maybe, call me “Noona” if you want, or even by my first name. It’s Rain.

 

Siwon: Rain, it is. You don’t look like my noona.

 

 

Finally(or rather, too soon, in my opinion), we arrive at the offices of Mr. Han Sae Min, one of the directors of SM Entertainment.

 

 

Siwon: Well, I have to leave you here, I think. I still have one schedule before I call it a day.

 

Me: Thanks so much, Siwon, it’s been a pleasure talking to you.

 

Siwon: You,too. I look forward to seeing you soon!

 

 

And so, I knock on the door and then enter.

 

 

Mr.Han: Ah, Ms.Jang! Finally, we meet face to face. I am so glad to see you. How was your trip?

 

Me: It was great Mr.Han, thank you for arranging such a comfortable journey for me. I am glad to meet you, too.

 

Mr.Han: Well, since you came such a long way, I don’t think it’s right for you to start reporting at your office quite so soon, you should head over to your apartment. For the next five days, you are not even required to show up here, except to visit your office. You can work at home, via internet.

 

Me: Thank you so much, sir, you are too kind. But…if I may ask something?

 

Mr.Han: Go ahead and ask.

 

Me: I was told you’ll be providing my accommodations, but I haven’t received any information about it on my orientation package. Where will I be staying,sir?

 

Mr.Han: Ah, my secretary must’ve forgotten to tell you. We have arranged a small furnished apartment for you just a few blocks from here.  It’s not very big but it’s close to your workplace, has a great view of the Han River, and I guarantee that it is very safe.

 

Me: Thanks, sir. How do I get there?

 

Mr.Han: A driver will take you for now, and give you instructions on how to go about Seoul.

 

Me: That’s great, I will be going, then…

 

Mr.Han: And one more thing, Rain..I may call you Rain, right? Your apartment is your own, but you will be sharing the floor, and the utility room with my most troublesome ward. So, I would appreciate it if you can look over them once in a while, they are, after all, why you are here.

 

Me: Come again,Mr.Han? What do you mean? Who will I be sharing the floor with?

 

Mr.Han: Why, Super Junior, of course. Their manager can’t handle them on his own, you’ll be in charge of their publicity and discipline.

 

 

And THAT is why I probably had doubts at the back of my mind about taking this job.