22: His Birthday

Thank you, my love

It was a few days before L had to meet up with the prominent coach of National Sports School. However, there was something that was more important for Eunhye to tend to. It was L’s birthday in a few days’ time and she vowed to give him an unforgettable celebration in his life.

She looked through the checklist on her notebook. “Birthday cake, balloons, present… INFINITE and BEAST have confirmed they will be free on that day. Asa! I just have to confirm the availability with Jiyoon’s uncle.” Eunhye looked at the list proudly as her preparation were all ready.


 

Eunhye held onto her violin’s case as she walked down the stairs. Spotting her as soon as he opened his door, he pounced onto Eunhye and gave her a backhug.

“Good morning, baby~” L grinned as he stretched to hold Eunhye’s hand, but was rejected as Eunhye kept her hand behind her back. “Yah! It’s so dangerous. We could have fell off the stairs together if we weren’t careful. And who is your baby?” Eunhye crossed her eyebrows and rubbed her arm with her free hand as she “shivered” from his cheesiness.

She grinned as she trotted down the stairs. She did not meant to be mean to L, but that was all her plan to give him a pleasant surprise later on.

L looked at Eunhye’s back view in bewilderment as she walked down. He was disappointed with her response, he did not expect such a cold response, especially when today was his birthday.

"Did she really not remember my birthday?" The thought echoed his mind countless time as he walked to the dining area.

“Happy birthday, my dear Myungsoo~” Auntie Jung sang as she placed the hot bowl of seaweed soup in front of him. “Thank you, Auntie Jung.” He replied politely and gave her one of his best eye smile.

"She should know it’s my birthday now when she sees the seaweed soup." L looked up.

It was then he realised that Eunhye was not at the dining area. He looked around and finally saw her at the threshold, wearing her shoes and was all ready to leave the house. “Eunhye! You are not having your breakfast?” L stretched himself back to hear her answer. “Ani. I need to reach school earlier today. See you in school, bye! Auntie Jung, I will leave first. Bye too!”

Eunhye chuckled as she turned her back. She was definite that she saw L’s major disappointed face. She picked up the package that was placed at the threshold by Auntie Jung before they came down.

~~

L pouted as he sipped on his seaweed soup. “Wae? Is the soup not tasting good?” Auntie Jung as she looked at L. “Ani. Just that… How could Eunhye forget my birthday? I thought the seaweed soup could serve as the last reminder. But she left before she saw it.”

In fact, Auntie Jung had known about Eunhye’s surprise birthday plan. The package was actually L’s cake. Both of them had baked it last night after they had made sure that L had already gone to bed. In order for L not to suspect, Eunhye had to leave before him and to bring the cake to school first.

“Maybe she was too busy preparing for her test, that’s why she forgot about it. You can always remind her and go out for a good dinner together.” Auntie Jung tried to hold her laughter and walked back to the kitchen before she exposed the plan.

L’s shoulders sank, “Even Auntie Jung is so cold on my birthday.” L let out a sigh before continuing with his lonely breakfast.


 

The first half of the day was actually self-practice periods for Eunhye’s class. Instead of practising in the practice room, she took the time to do up the place for L’s birthday celebration.

“Where do I place these cupcakes?” Jiyoon asked as she took the tray out from the box. She had also ”sacrificed” her practice periods to help Eunhye out. “You can just leave it on the table beside the cake.”

Both of them swept their hands as they set the last decoration on the wall. Eunhye turned and gave Jiyoon a big hug. “Jiyoon ah! Really thank you so much for helping me. I could not have completed it if you didn’t help me out.” Jiyoon patted Eunhye's head as she pulled away from her embrace, “Silly! That is what friends are for, right? Plus, I managed to escape practice. As long as the teacher don’t find out, we will be safe. Keke.”

Jiyoon skipped off to arrange the food and cake again as she admired her own arrangement. Eunhye looked at Jiyoon’s back, she could not thank her enough for all she had done for her. Knowing Jiyoon was one of the most blessed moment in her life.

As they confirmed everything, Jiyoon went off to bring the members of INFINITE and BEAST for the celebration while Eunhye would be bringing L separately so that it would not arouse suspicions from the smart guy.

Eunhye looked at the cake proudly. This would be the biggest surprise. She knew he would definitely be very elated to celebrate his birthday with his brothers.

~~

“L? You are having your free period now right? Can you come to my class please?” Eunhye tried hard to express her best aegyo through the phone. “Sure. But why?” L rubbed the back of his neck and leaned back onto his chair. Eunhye sure sounded suspicious because she would not usually seek help from people, but nonetheless he would still fly there as long as she requested.

He brisk walked to her class as soon as they hung up from the call even though all sorts of thoughts ran through his mind. Eunhye grinned widely as she greeted him at the door.

“Yes? How I can help my cute girlfriend?” L bent down and inched closer to Eunhye as he placed his right hand on her head. She removed L's hand as she felt the weight on her head, “I have something heavy to move at the practice room, the guys in my class are all too busy with their stuff. So I will need your help. Let’s go!” Eunhye held onto his hand while she dragged the bewildered L along to the practice room.

 

To: Jiyoon

-- Plan start!

Eunhye tucked her phone into her pocket after successfully sending the message out.

“Oppas! Get ready. They are on their way here.” Jiyoon rushed the boys as soon as she saw the message from Eunhye. She shook her head as she stopped the rowdy boys from running around the small practice room.

Jiyoon peeped out from the window and saw the couple walking hand in hand. With a swift move, she shushed the group again and switched off the lights in the room.

 

“Click…”

 

The door gently clicked open and Eunhye retreated behind L so that the crowd would not get the wrong target.

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! 

Everyone cheered as they saw L at the door. L opened his eyes wide in shock, obviously he did not expect all these surprise coming since he had long accepted the fact that the world had forgotten about his birthday.

“Come in! Why are you standing there?” Sungyeol questioned, handing L a party hat which he was holding. Eunhye gave L a light push and motioned him to go into the room as she flashed him a wide smile.

L looked at the cake and food on the table. The balloons and decorations complemented well with the party too. Everything was done for his birthday. At that moment, he was too touched to be able to spout a single word.

“Ah… Wae? Are you that surprised?” Eunhye nudged L as she took the party hat from L’s hands and helped him to wear it on his head. He nodded his head in agreement as he walked towards the cake. “Keke. You thought that I have forgotten your birthday right? Auntie Jung called me after you left the house. She said you were feeling all sad and disappointed. Keke.” Eunhye teased as she recalled what Auntie Jung told her this morning.

 

*Flashback*

“Eunhye, I think Myungsoo has definitely fallen into the trap. He is feeling bitter even when he left the house.”

“Really? Thanks Auntie Jung for the information. I will compensate him well this afternoon. Goodbye~”

*End of flashback*

 

“Ani! Auntie Jung was being too exaggerated! Birthdays aren’t that important, I… I did not feel disappointed, let alone sad.” L’s face turned red as he failed to retort Eunhye’s claim. “You are stuttering. Keke. Arraseo arraseo. I will not tease you anymore. Let’s go for the cake cutting, I will gather everyone.” L nodded his head shyly as he let go of Eunhye’s hand.

“Happy birthday to you.

Happy birthday to you.

Happy birthday to L Kim…

Happy birthday to you……”

Claps could be heard after they finished singing the birthday song. L closed his eyes and held his hands together. At that moment, everyone held their breath as they waited for him to make his wishes. Even though he did not say anything, they could have guessed what his wishes were.

“Blow the candles!” Woohyun urged and everyone chimed in agreement. Everyone clapped again as the candles were blown out. Eunhye looked around the surroundings nervously and mustered just enough courage to inch closer to L’s cheek. Everyone opened their eyes wide in anticipation as they saw Eunhye giving L a peck on his cheek. L caught onto Eunhye’s waist as she was ready to bounce away from embarrassment.

The boys and Jiyoon shrieked as they saw the scene. Despite feeling happy for L, they were less than willing to see them being cheesy. Getting their signal, L let go of Eunhye reluctantly and floated to lead his friends to the food.

“Yah! Don’t drop the food on the floor!” and “Keep the volume down before the teachers come and check on us!” could be heard repeatedly in the room. But the boys were turning a deaf ear against the words of the two girls as they played and joked around in the room.

Eunhye trotted over to L as he was helping himself to the birthday cake which was specially baked for him. He poked onto a piece of cake and gesture Eunhye to open . As Eunhye swallowed, she tiptoed and whispered into his ear, “Wait for me after school, and let’s have dinner together.” L nodded silently and rubbed her cheeks as they enjoyed the celebration together.


 

“The dinner was good right? I spent lots of time researching on the restaurants, you know?” Eunhye tightened her grasp to L’s hand as they strolled along the quiet streets.

“Where are we going next? We are not going to just roam on the chilly streets right?” L rubbed his arm with his free hand. “Woah. Kim Myungsoo, you are forgiven because today is your birthday. How dare you complain?” Eunhye wrinkled her nose as they slowly approach a lounge.

“Arraseo. I’m just curious. Is this the place?” L pinched on her nose slightly to relief her wrinkled nose before leading her into the lounge.

As they walked into the lounge, the atmosphere caught their attention almost immediately. The soft orange lights complemented the relaxing atmosphere as the live band was playing some jazz music on the small stage.

They walked towards a high table that was pretty much in front where they could see the live band clearly. “Do you know this lounge is owned by Jiyoon’s uncle?” Eunhye whispered into L’s ear so as to not disturb the others who were listening to the live band. L turned and looked at Eunhye in surprise as he showed a “Really?” look to her.

Just then, a man in his mid-forties clad in a polo tee approached their table. “Annyeong, Eunhye. You are here. This must be L-ssi?” Eunhye came down from her seat and bowed politely. “Annyeong-haseyo, Uncle Yang. Thank you for having us here.” The man winked at Eunhye as he flashed a smile. Feeling startled, L slid off his seat and greeted politely back. “Annyeong-haseyo. L Kim-imnida.” The man gave L a pat on his shoulders and told the both of them to take a seat. “You can just call me Uncle Yang just like how Eunhye addresses me. The drinks will be on the house. Enjoy yourselves!” He cheered as he walked away to entertain his other customers.

“Uncle Yang is a nice person right? We just got ourselves some good deal. Keke.” Eunhye winked at L as soon as Uncle Yang walked away from them. L chuckled as he saw how cute and excited Eunhye was in getting the offer. Both of them ordered some mocktails since they jolly well knew that they were not supposed to drink.

“I will go to the counter to get us some snacks.” Eunhye tapped on L after the drinks were served. She left sneakily as she walked away to actualize the second part of her plan.

 

Yes, the second part of her plan. This was the highlight for L’s birthday celebration which she had been planning for some time.

~~

As she stood at the bottom of the stage, she saw that L was using his phone and not even noticing that the live band had already stopped playing. An idea popped up in her mind., she fished out the phone from her pocket. Uncle Yang gestured the customers in his lounge to not make a sound as Eunhye trotted up the stage.

L jolted a little as he felt the vibration on his phone.

To: L

-- Are you going to continue using your phone?

-- Look up now.

 

Feeling startled to receive Eunhye’s text, he looked up immediately. Eunhye waved at him from the stage and L’s mouth formed an ‘o’ as he saw Eunhye with a keyboard and a microphone. He smiled as he finally understood what she was going to do.

The music started and Eunhye played on the keyboard gracefully as her melodic voice balanced how the song sounded.

Juniel – I Think I’m In Love

(*A/N: Below is just an extract of the chorus.^^)

예뻐서 사랑에 빠진 걸까

Did I fall in love because I’m pretty?

사랑에 빠져서 예뻐진 걸까

Or did I get pretty because I fell in love?

아침 거울 앞에서 콧노래를 부르며

As I hum in front of the mirror in the morning

붕 떠오르는 내 맘

My heart is getting so excited

이젠 널 뭐라고 불러줄까

What should I call you now?

자기라 하면 좀 쑥스러울까

Is it too much to call you baby?

온 세상에 맘을 들키고 싶어

I want to tell my heart to the whole world

Start! 소문내 얼른!

Start, spread the rumors

나 연애하나 봐

I think I’m in love

 

L could not hide his smile as the song was delivered so sweetly by Eunhye. It was not just any normal song, but a song which also included what her heart was feeling truthfully.

He felt the warmth creeping up to his heart. It was not only because Eunhye performed specially for him, but because he knew she had to overcome her shyness to perform alone in front of so many people. This performance was totally different from the ones she usually did for her composition tests or group performance. It was one that was especially for him, all alone.

The crowd clapped for Eunhye as she finished the last word of the song. She bowed meekly before leaving the stage and was welcomed by L at the bottom of the stage. L brought her to his embrace and refused to let her go even though Eunhye tried to pull back. Unable to budge, Eunhye compelled and returned his hug. He released her a little and whispered gently into her ears which made her melted.

 

“Thank you… And, I love you…”

 

“Ah, the present!” Eunhye removed L’s arm from her and ransacked through her bag. She returned with a box and a card in her hands. L opened the small box excitedly and was welcomed by a couple bracelets. She dished out the necklace which she was wearing and showed it to L. “Remember this necklace? This is my amulet. But it isn’t fair for you. So I got you one, and it is something that both of us would have together, it's your amulet too.”

 

photo PicforChap22.jpg

L started reading Eunhye’s card and it made her blush instantly.”Ah, are you going to read it infront of me?” She patted her flushed cheeks cutely and L removed his hands. “I don’t have to read the card to know what you want to tell me. Really, thank you. This is the best birthday I ever had.”

Eunhye broke out into a smile as he heard L’s words. Both of them embraced each other once again, enjoying the moment which both of them had.

At that moment, it would have been the best if time could just froze.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

New chapter update!

Really really sorry for the delay.

I hope this chapter will make up for it.

Anyways, this is the third last chapter for this fanfic!!

Hope you guys have enjoyed it so far~ :D

But good news!

A sequel has been decided from the thumbsup from my readers!! *Clap clap*

It is currently under preparation mode, so please look forward to it too~~ ^^

Thank you for giving this story so much love and support.

Don't forget to subscribe, comment and upvote!

Thank you sooooo much! <3 :D