21: Basketball; Chance

Thank you, my love

It was the end of another academic year, the time where all graduates would feel ecstatic but reluctant to leave their best friends which they had been together for three whole years.

Unavoidable, it was the second batch of the BEAST and INFINITE members to graduate too. The sole high schooler of BEAST, Dongwoon smiled happily as he hugged his hyungs for the graduation photo together with Eunhye.

Just as they were getting ready for the next photo, she was dragged by Woohyun and Hoya for their graduation photo too. Hearing groans from them, she turned her head and flashed her brightest smile to her oppas, “I will be back soon! Wait for me!”

~~

All the members from BEAST and INFINITE met up in a nearby café after school. It had been a long time since they had time to catch up with one another.

Dongwoo sipped on his latte, “Finally we have time to slack together like this.”

”Precisely. University life is hectic. We can’t even meet up frequently even though we are obviously in the same campus.” Gikwang replied as he grabbed the glass of iced Americano from the tray of drinks.

Jiyoon and Eunhye found their seats after they had finished serving all the drinks to everyone. Jiyoon sipped on her iced coffee, “What a pity now. There are only a few of us left in the high school counterpart. In fact there are only five of us left.” She pouted as she pointed to the members who were in their last year of high school.

“Yeah. All of us are growing up right? Soon, the oppas will start working.” Eunhye patted Jiyoon’s shoulders and cringed at the thought of the childish oppas in the working world.

Catching Eunhye’s expressions, Woohyun retorted jokingly. “Yah, Choi Eunhye. What’s with that face?” Eunhye chuckled as she was caught by Woohyun, he playfully poked her face. “The remaining of you will join us next year. And we will all be adults!” Woohyun exclaimed and started waving his hands in the air which was pulled back by Sungkyu as the other customers looked at them weirdly.

Seeing how amusing the oppas were, Eunhye laughed heartily at their jokes. Life was really good with everyone together, especially L. She turned her head to look at L who was currently cuddling her and having a great time laughing with his hyungs.

“Ah. Right. Next week is Myungsoo’s tournament finals. Please keep yourselves free on that day, arrasseo? Sungkyu reminded and all eyes fixed on L at that very moment.

L let go of Eunhye and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. “Hyung… Please don’t be like this. It’s so embarrassing. You guys don’t have to come if you are busy, really…” He waved his hands shyly at everyone.

“Ani. Of course we have to come and support our friend. Rest assured, we will all be there to witness your win!” Doojoon assured and showed his signature two thumbs-up pose. “Ah… Doojoon-hyung. All of you are making me feel pressured already.” L frowned.

Eunhye bent forward and linked her arms with her troubled and shy boyfriend, causing L to jump a bit at her skinship. “You don’t have to be shy. I have faith in my boyfriend. You will do fine.” She smiled sweetly as she looked into his eyes.

As if her words gave him strength instantly, L nodded and brushed Eunhye’s fringe lightly before both of them came closer together. L leaned in to Eunhye and his forehead landed onto hers.

“Don’t start please……” The twelve of them including Jiyoon complained as the couple started their lovey-dovey show infront of them. Some of them covered their eyes while some rubbed their arms as the goosebumps formed on their hands at such a scene.

Ignoring to the crowd’s plea, L tilted his head and went forward to give his girlfriend a kiss. Eunhye closed her eyes and kissed him back.

“Oh my god…” They protested once again but to no avail.

Junhyung sighed slightly at the scene but was actually feeling glad that Eunhye had found the love in her life.

“Two of you, please stop. We are in public! Both of you are so cheesy nowadays. Oh my god. Where is the demure Myungsoo and shy Eunhye we once known?” Sungyeol protested as he waved his hands to make the couple separate.

Sungyeol’s comment made the group roared in laughter, each of them taking turns to tease the couple.

“Yah, don’t be jealous. You can do that too when you guys find your own girlfriends.” L stretched his arms and pulled Eunhye for a cuddle as soon as he managed to shut everyone’s mouth.


 

“I-N-F-I-N-I-T-Y! Infinity School!”

 

The cheers can be heard continuously from the school’s cheerleaders as they sang it in one voice.

L and his team had trained so hard for this day and they pledged to not disappoint themselves and the people who had supported them.

Eunhye and Jiyoon had reached early specially to get a good seat. The team members were crowding around their coach for pep talk as well as a discussion for some match tactics while their opponent team were having their warm-up session in the court.

“Look at the other team, they look pretty strong too right? Especially their captain.” Eunhye nudged Jiyoon as they witnessed an accurate long shoot-in by the captain. “Ayy. L could do that too. I bet he will do better.” Jiyoon assured while eyes still glued to the opponent team.

~~

“Okay. That’s it. Remember the training you guys have did, the championship will be ours. Now, get ready for the warm-up session.” The coach motioned them over to the court.

Recalling that Eunhye was already here, L turned back and screened through the audience seat. She was just sitting at the front row. As he caught her attention, he gave Eunhye a wink followed by a confident thumbs-up to show that he was okay. Feeling relieved to see L, Eunhye returned both thumbs-up to him, signalling him that she believed he would do his best.

Just then, other students from their school starting falling in behind Eunhye and Jiyoon. Their loud whisperings caught their attention immediately.

“Did you see that man with the black cap? He is the coach of our National Sports School.” The male student with a black hoodie elbowed his friend as they settled down on the seat. “Really? How did you know?” His friend replied him as he narrows his eyes across his eyes.

Jiyoon looked at Eunhye with a suspicious look as they continued listening to their conversation.

“A hyung from the school in my neighbourhood told me. They will be in various school to scout for potential students. They will not miss our school since we are having such a high chance in clinching the championship.” The black-hoodie student replied.

Jiyoon scooted closer to Eunhye to whisper. “Do you think it’s true?” Just as when Eunhye was about to reply, the whistle for the first quarter of the match went off. “Hmm… Let’s just watch the match first, it’s more important. Remember to block off the seats for the oppas.” Jiyoon agreed as she stared intently at the game too.


 

“BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEEP…”

The whistle for the last quarter of the match went off.

 

“KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

 

The student body screamed as L's team had successfully won this year’s basketball tournament finals with a mere extra two points from their opponent team. It was thanks to the bonus shootout from the opponent’s team for committing various fouls throughout the game.

L and his team members went forward to their bench to support one of their injured members up to receive the championship trophy. Even though one of their team members were injured, it did not stop them from getting the championship.

The members from the opponent team came forward and gave each member a congratulatory hug after getting over the surprised fact that they had lost. They had to admit that it was a good game and L’s team was really united and strong.

As the audience clappings roared through the stadium, L stood up the podium and proudly received the championship trophy from their principal and the organisers. He waved it high up as he took over it, moving over and waved it to Eunhye and his INFINITE members.

Mrs Kim, Mr Lee and Auntie Jung waved back as L looked towards their direction. L opened his eyes wide in surprise as he did not expect them to come since they were really busy nowadays.

After the team’s dismissal, L ran to Eunhye immediately and was greeted by a big hug. “Granny, why are you here? I thought you have a meeting today?” L asked as he recalled.

“Of course I have to come. It’s my beloved grandson’s finals! We rushed here after my meeting ended. I’m glad we made it on time and witnessed your magnificent shoot-in.” Mrs Kim praised L as she ruffled through his already messy hair, making L feel embarrassed as he rubbed the back of his neck.

~~

“Hey everyone, we have to go back already. We still have some projects to catch on. We will meet another time, alright?” Sungkyu announced as he gathered the members from INFINITE and BEAST to go back together. L gave them a goodbye hug as he saw them off.

“We should get going too. Let me gather my stuff first.” L picked up his bag as he saw the majority of the audience streaming out of the stadium. But there was a man slowly approaching them.

“Annyeong-haseyo. I’m Oh Jungsuk. I’m the advisor as well as the coach of the National Sports School. I’m actually here to watch the match as well as to scout for potential players.” Coach Oh introduced himself as he handed everyone his name card.

“Annyeong-haseyo. L Kim-imnida.” L greeted politely after taking a few glances at the name card.

“I’ve heard a lot about you, L-ssi. I have to agree that you are a really good player. Not only do you have the skills, you possessed the elements of being a great leader too. I was surprised at how you have led the team during the match just now. You are just the kind of people we need.” Coach Oh gave a pat on L’s shoulders, showing his approval. “I have observed the entire match and I believe you can be further nurtured to the professional standards. If you don’t mind, we can discuss about it. I understand that this is your last year in high school. If things go well, you can enrol into our school in the England counterpart.”

The last part of his speech surprised everyone. Mrs Kim went forward and exchanged a few words with him, as well as thanking him for giving L such an opportunity. Within minutes, they have agreed to a meet-up for further discussion. L grinned from ear to ear as he thought about the awesome opportunity.

As Eunhye walked out of the stadium together with her family, she recalled the conversation which she and Jiyoon had heard at the beginning of the match, it was true after all and it was happening to her dearest boyfriend.


 

After dinner, Eunhye was chilling in the garden’s balcony after she had finished helping Auntie Jung with the dishes.

L crept up behind her slowly to give her surprise back hug. But before he could succeed in it, Eunhye turned and caught L in that awkward position. “What are you doing? HAHAHA.” She pointed at L as he squatted amusingly.

L stood up and walked towards Eunhye, pretending to be calm. “You spoilt the surprise, Choi Eunhye.” He pouted as he claimed the seat beside her. “You can’t blame me, you know? You have been using the same tactic over and over again. So I can kind of sense it when you were creeping closer.” Eunhye chuckled as she looked at how L was pouting cutely.

As a form of apology for spoiling the surprise, Eunhye scooted closer to L. And when he was not paying attention, she gave a quick peck on his cheeks which surprised L instead. L stretched out his long arms and cuddled Eunhye. It had been a long time since they could enjoy such peaceful moments among themselves.

“So… What is your decision? What if the coach really offers you a position in their school? Will you go?” Eunhye brought up ethe topic which she had been repressing in her heart for the whole day. “I don’t know. I’m just going to meet him. Let’s see what he has to offer.”

Eunhye nodded silently as she continued listening to L. “It is definitely a dream opportunity for all basketball players. But if I really accept, I will have to leave for England. I will miss everyone and we can’t meet every day like now.” He tightened his hands around Eunhye, not wanting to let go.

L turned and looked at Eunhye, who was immersed at the starry night above them. “If I really leave, will you be fine on your own? You are such a blur and absent-minded person. Keke.” Hearing his mocks, Eunhye turned and smacked him playfully on his chest. “Yah, don’t be too overboard. Anyway, it will be your own decision of our life. It should not involve anyone’s interference.”

“Arraseo. Ahh… I have not even met up with the coach. Maybe he had already changed his mind by the time we meet.” L snickered as he rested both his hands on the floor, supporting his body weight. “Hmm. Just remember that I will support you no matter what decision you make.” Eunhye gave L an assuring pat on his shoulders.

As he heard what Eunhye said, L’s playful character took effect. “If I really leave, will you follow me?” L teased as he sat up straight, hoping to hear the answer he desired.

“No. Of course not.” Eunhye replied immediately without giving much thoughts. Her direct answer disappointed L a bit. “Woah. My girlfriend is really feisty. You replied me so immediately that I’m hurt.” L pretended to pout and touched his chest.

Unable to withstand his aegyo, Eunhye laughed and explained her answer. “If you go there, you will be there to learn and train. Not to play. Plus I can’t do anything there, I would rather stay here and pursue my music education.” Hearing her serious explanation, L hushed her. “I’m just teasing you, can’t you sense it? You don’t have to be so serious.”

“Yah! Kim Myungsoo! Are you trying to be funny here? I’m being serious and you are always teasing me.” Eunhye turned her back against L as she fell into L’s trick again. L chortled and pulled Eunhye back, making funny faces at the same time to coax her.

Successful as always, Eunhye forgave L almost immediately and they laid on the wooden board of the balcony.

At the moment, it seemed like the starts above them shone even brighter at the couple. The stars were like guardian angels, protecting and guiding them to the correct path in their life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

New chapter up!

Hope you guys enjoy it! :D

Don't forget to comment, subscribe & upvote~

Thanks all~