Chapter Two

Comfort Zone

Edited 5/7/15

Note: Okay, before we start, I want to address age. Onew is a year younger than he should be and Kibum's brother is the age that he is now. May or may not have been important, just making sure no one gets confused.


Kibum didn't know what to do. He wanted friends. He really did, but at the same time he couldn't bring himself to believe that these boys came in peace. The one and only person Key trusted with all of his heart was his hyung, Myungsoo.

Myungsoo was an angel in hell. He was patient with Kibum, cared for him like a parent should. Like his parents didn't.

Kibum's parents housed him, bought him essentials, and made sure he went to school but, in all actuality, they had dumped him on Myungsoo. They figured why take care of a borderline psychotic child when they had another to do it for them?

Myungsoo gave Kibum the attention and affection his parents couldn't supply. Though he was twenty-two and had a decent enough job to afford an apartment along with his university fees, he refrained from moving out just to look after his dongsaeng. To protect his little cub he had once said. Kibum was pretty sure his parents would have made Myungsoo take him anyway.

That's why at 2:15, when school got out, Kibum plowed into his hyung when he saw Myungsoo waiting on the sidewalk for him. He was tired, three teachers had ripped into him for absolutely no reason, and he had probably blown his chance at making any friends. Kibum needed a hug even if his face didn't show it.

With an airy laugh, Myungsoo curled an arm around Kibum's slender shoulders. He used his free hand to Kibum's hair. "Aw, you have a bad day, kid?"

Kibum nodded into Myungsoo's chest, body hunched because he was a little taller than his hyung.

"Aish, that means a sad, empty wallet for me. I'm telling you now that you're not getting shoes. You have more shoes now than I've had ever." Kibum knew his brother would get him shoes anyway if he begged enough. Kibum had Myungsoo wrapped around his finger.

"Oooo, who's your friend, Kibummie? "

Kibum nearly growled. Jonghyun, I'm going to give you a map. This map will take you to a cliff. On this map will be written directions on how to throw your off of it.

With a smile Myungsoo said, "I'm his hyung, Kim Myungsoo. Are you his friends?"

"Trying to be. My name's Kim Jonghyun. Did you know he's a really fast runner?"

"And kicks really hard," Minho grumbled.

"I'm Lee Taemin!" The boy bounced up like a bunny. "You and Kibum hyung don't really look like syblings."

It was true. Kibum and Myungsoo really didn't have much in common feature wise. Kibum had high, sharp cheekbones; Myungsoo's where round and less pronounced. Myungsoo's skin was very lightly tanned while Kibum's was white as hell. Though not big and buff, Myungsoo was toned. Kibum was straigt up small and slender.

The biggest difference was their choice in style. Kibum had maroon hair shaved on one side with four piercings: three in one ear and a chain piercing in the other. He wore liner and flashy clothes when not in the school uniform that contrasted oddly with his cold visage.

Myungsoo wasn't much into the piercings and bright colors. His clothes were boyish and simple but attractive. His light copper hair had that bed head look that drove women insane. He didn't wear liner, but his dark lashes made it appear as if he did.

"Hyung, can we leave?" Kibum's voice was soft. Almost pathetic.

"Psh, always trying to escape, huh Kibum hyung? Ya know, we could just follow you home. It's been a while since I've stalked someone." It was almost funny how Taemin didn't know how he had just dropped a huge bomb on Kibum's brain.

"H-Hyung!"

With a short huff, Myungsoo detached himself from Kibum. Pulling his keys from his pocket, he pushed them into Kibum's hand. "My car is over there. Start it up for me, would you?"

Now with a reason to get away from the other boys, Kibum fast walked in the direction he was guided in.

"Look, I know you're just trying to play and all but... don't say that stuff to him, all right? He's sensitive, I guess you could say."

"Why?" Taemin asked.

Myungsoo opened his mouth just to close it again. Was it okay to say? They seemed nice enough, but...

"If I tell you, you have to promise to keep it a secret. And if you make fun of him for it, I'll wipe the floor with all your asses," Myungsoo threatened, looking pointedly at each boy.

"Cross our hearts, hope to die." Jonghyun took his index finger and made an X over his heart.

"Kibum has paranoid and schizoid personality disorder. They mess with his reasoning and social skills. If you want to be his friend, be easy on him. He's great when he opens up, he just needs time to get there. If he gets there. I have to go now. Taking my little cub to the mall. See ya."

With that Myungsoo left the boys to mull over what he had told them. What the was paranoid and schizoid personality disorder?


"I swear, never again, Kim Kibum. I will never take you shopping ever again!"

"You say that every time, hyung."

"Well, I mean it this time!"

"You said that last time."

"You know what? Shut up."

Kibum giggled as he watched his hyung struggle to carry the various bags containing his new .

"You're whipped, Myungsoo hyung."

"And you're not shutting up."

"Hey, hyung, can I have chocolate milk?"

"No."

Kibum pouted. "Please, I'll love you forever."

"You better ing love me now."

"... You're getting me chocolate milk, right?

"Kibum, I think we all know I'm getting you your god damn milk."

With a small smile, Kibum looked about the food court for a place with chocolate milk. He had been craving it lately. He was probably preganant. Definitely pregnant.

"I want a lot. Like... a whole jug."

"We aren't going to find a whole jug at the mall."

"Then let's go to a grocery store."

"Kibum, it's getting late."

"So?"

"I bet you have homework."

"Irrelevant."

"Umma and appa will be livid."

"They'll be pissed regardless."

"Aish."

By the time Kibum and Myungsoo made it home it was well past 7 o'clock. Kibum had downed about one-third of the jug on the way home. It was so freaking good.

"Kibum, you shouldn't drink so much."

"But I want to."

"You'll get yourself sick."

"Details."

It was times like this Kibum felt almost normal. With his hyung he felt no reservations. No fear. The pointless conversations made Kibum's days brighter.

Their relationship was ten degrees off romantic. It was so sweet, spectators risked getting diabetes. It was also weird, but Kibum never once thought of Myungsoo as anything more than his loving hyung, so he figured it was fine.

Upon entering the house, Kibum felt his mood tank. He didn't really want to see his parents. His relationship with them was complicated.

Before Kibum turned fourteen—before his problems arose—his parents had been so doting. He had been outgoing, spontaneous, and charming. He was a child to be proud of. But, when he changed,so did they.

When he became skittish and mistrusting, they became unattentive and indifferent. He remembered a time they got onto him when company was over because he kept claiming they were giving him nasty stares. They told him he was quote, "Embarrassing them and needed to it up."

Another thing about his parents was they became strict es. Kibum had to be home at a certain time, wasn't allowed to leave the house alone unless he was going to school, and wasn't allowed to invite people over (like he did that anyway). They acted as if he was incapable of functioning by himself. Stupid bastards. He was socially awkward, not invalid.

That being said, it was no wonder Kibum's parents were absolutely dripping with pent up fury when he walked through the door. Had they possessed wrenches, Kibum would have just lost an eye.

"Where have you been?!"

"U-Umma..."

"You have a curfew for a reason, Kibum!"

"I just -"

"I don't want to hear it!"

Kibum gave his umma a disinterested look before pushing past her. What's the point of talking to deaf ears?

"Young man, you better—"

"Umma, let him be. He had a bad day and you're not helping."

"A bad day gives him no right to disrespect our orders!"

"Umma, stop being ridiculous!"

Myungsoo was a sweetheart but Kibum wished he would stop. Kibum had told himself a long time ago that if his umma and appa would rather pull him down than lift him up, then it was in his best interest to let them go. It was heartbreaking how easy it was for him to do so.

In the safety of his bedroom, door locked, Kibum wondered for the millionth time what he was still doing in his parent's home. Myungsoo would take him away if he asked. Kibum then thought for the millionth time that that would be selfish. His brother already did enough and Kibum didn't need to be saved.

It must have been an hour before Kibum worked up enough energy to pull out his homework. It was all basic first day surveys. What's your name? What are your interests? What do you hope to accomplish this year. What did it matter?

Two minutes to ten, a half-awake Kibum was snuggled in his bed with a large stuffed elephant he named Pie. He got Pie from his brother when he was eight. Pie was his official go-to friend and snuggle buddy. Sometimes it was better to talk without getting opinions back. Ya know, just say everything to something to take weight off your shoulders.

Groaning when he heard a light rap at the door, Kibum pulled Pie's ear back to whisper, "If it's Taemin, I'm going to need you to kill him, Pie."

Shuffling to the door, Pie tucked under his arm, Kibum unlocked his door.

"Ne?" Kibum yawned.

"Hey, cub," Myungsoo smiled. "You left all your bags downstairs. You look like a five-year-old with that elephant."

"Mmm. Just," yawn, "put 'em right here." Falling back into bed, Kibum closed his eyes.

"Hey, Kibum, you okay? I know umma can be kinda—"

"Myungsoo, I stopped caring about that women years ago."

"Don't say that. She's still our umma even is she is a little... unreasonable."

"Maybe she's your umma, but she's not mine. Anyone can have a child. Not everyone can be a parent."

"I suppose so..."

"Myungsoo, don't sound so sad. They don't want me. I've accepted that. When you do the same, dealing with them will become easier."

"I think my heart just shattered. You know how depressing that is?"

Kibum grimaced. "Such is life."

"Well, I guess I should let you sleep, huh?"

"That would be nice, but, ya know, whatever floats your boat."

"M'kay. Night. Saranghae."

"Saranghae."


Okay, this chapter was shorter than the last one by a few hundred words I think XD I mean, I tried, but this chapter was really just supposed to introduce Kibum's brother and their relationship because Myungsoo's a big part of Kibum's life. Like, his only true support. I hope it wasn't too boring. Can you tell I was craving chocolate milk? Still am...

Anyway, here's Myungsoo! I just watched Shut up Flower Boy Band, and he was my favorite. Him and Kibum also have the same last name, so it worked. I mean, this picture pretty much got the gist of what I was going for. The hair color is off, but whatever. His signature looks like the pencil tornados I always draw on homework...

I think he's gorgeous :3

This is Pie! Idk why I gave Kibum a toy. Maybe I though it would be cute? This toy is cute, I want it.

Uh, feedback is good. Can't get better if no one tells you you , right? Right. Idk when the third chapter will be done. Honestly, this is just being made up as I go. I have no idea how this is supposed to end, so this should be fun. Oh, hey, I have a question. If you were to tell your sibling that you loved them in Korean, would you say saranghae? I mean, I looked it up and no one said that you couldn't, but I don't want to make the same stupid mistake every time.

Thank you to the people who subscribed, I hope you stick with me while I figure this out. Ya know, I get on and off of AFF all the time looking for updates, and I was actually like, "Dammit!" because the orange notification was for people subscribing and not a story update. It both made and ruined my day. Sorry for any mistakes. Thanks again :)