Chapter Seventeen

Comfort Zone

September 23: about five and a half months since Myungsoo fell into a coma and also Kibum's birthday. If he said all he wanted was to have his hyung back, could someone give that to him?

The doctor had been really optimistic as of late. He said Myungsoo twitched a lot when he was spoken to, a sign that he was definitely coherent, he just couldn't wake up yet.

Kibum currently sat hunched next to Myungsoo's bed talking quietly to his hyung.

"Keikeu's gotten pretty big. He's been growing like crazy. Can you believe he's already almost 9 months old? "

Leaning over to rest his chin on bed railing, Kibum looked at Myungsoo with a mixture of sadness and fondness in his tired eyes.

"My hair has been growing too. I let the shaved part grow out and cut the other half— I died my hair brown. Taemin says I look too normal."

Myungsoo's eyes rolled to the right under the lids, the skin moving for a moment before settling back down. Kibum's lips curved up in a strained pull from disuse.

"I don't think it's my hair, though. I haven't been wearing any nail polish or make up. I don't think I like nail polish anymore. Or make up. It's time consuming."

Kibum sighed when Myungsoo remained still, sitting back up in the chair. He hoped the doctor was right. He didn't think his heart could take much more waiting.

"Oh, Kibum... you're here."

Or his umma. His heart really couldn't take much more of her.

"Annyeonghaseyo, umma," Kibum said dully, looking blankly at his short fingernails.

Mrs. Kim humfed a little as she walked to Myungsoo's bedside, peering down at her comotase son.

"He's become so thin," she said more to herself than anyone, eyebrows pulling low on her forehead.

She was right. Myungsoo had lost quite a bit of weight, but it couldn't be helped. It was hard to get him the nutrients he needed through the feeding tubes.

"Yeah," Kibum said curtly.

She looked down at Kibum briefly and clicked her tongue.

"Still mad at me?"

Oh, now that was a question with one very loaded answer.

"About what? The part where you stopped loving me, or the part where you stopped loving Myungsoo?"

His umma was hardly phased by his bitterness, choosing to an eyebrow and nothing more.

"I do love him. And you."

Kibum lifted his head to look up at her slowly, his face pinched with disbelief.

"Funny. That's a good one," Kibum laughed emptily.

"You don't have to believe me," she shrugged.

"Why would I? How could I after everything you did to me?"

Exhaling slowly, Mrs. Kim took a seat next to her son in a vacant chair to his left. Positioning her hands snuggly in her lap, she spoke to Kibum in the most worn out voice he ever heard.

"What your appa and I did, however extreme, kept you safe. You weren't allowed out because we were afraid of what someone might do to you and you to them. Same went for letting people in."

Kibum stared at his umma incredulously. The women may as well have sprouted a tail in Kibum's book.

"So you're trying to say you were mean to me to keep me safe? That you broke me nearly every damn day to keep me safe?!" Kibum all but yelled at her, tears pricking the corner of his eyes.

"We didn't do it the way we should have," she said monotonously. "And, I admit, we weren't understanding. We became frustrated and turned all of it on to you... I'm not trying to make excuses, I just mean—"

"I get it," Kibum bit out, interrupting her. And he did. He'd seen people deal with special children, or people like him, and it was just like how Kibum's parents treated him. Even if it was wrong, it was common.  "That doesn't explain trying to kill your own son, though."

"I didn't," she said, offense evident in her tone. "You did not see me nor your father for the better part of the first three months of this mess. We were wrecked. But we can't mull forever, and, if he wasn't going to wake up, then there was no reason to make him stay."

It made sense. It made all the sense in the world, and Kibum wished it didn't because he didn't want to think letting Myungsoo die would ever be okay.

"You may hate us now," she said gently. "But we tried. Even if it wasn't the way to do it, we tried."

"I don't hate you," Kibum whispered into his chest. "Even if you don't deserve it... I love you and appa too."

That fact became all too clear to Kibum. No matter what he said, no matter how badly they had ed up, Kibum would always love his parents.

"And you really don't deserve it," Kibum said, pouting at his umma. "You threw a shoe at my head."

"I will concede to the fact that it was a very rash decision on my part. I guess being a tad crazy runs in the family."

For the first time in what felt like forever, Kibum's umma smiled at him with that pretty smile she used to always give him as a young kid. He never knew how much he missed it until now.

Those tears finally escaped and Kibum reached out for his umma like a small child. She let him weep into her ironed blouse, his head and shushing him in an affectionate way that made him sob harder.

"I take it back," Kibum sniffled into her shoulder. "I hate you so much. I'm snotty and gross and it's all your fault. You're a terrible umma, making your son cry like this."

"Yeah, yeah, I know," she chuckled softly, holding Kibum tightly in her small arms.

"You really are a parent," Kibum glared up through one eye—the one not squished into his umma.

"... I know."

"I love you very much, though," Kibum said into the damp cloth of her shirt where he cried.

"I love you very much as well," she said into his hair. "And happy birthday."

Kibum stayed nestled against his umma for a time, enjoying all the things he'd been missing for the past ever. He couldn't say he forgave her—didn't know if he ever would—but he still loved her and took comfort in the way she smoothed the brown hairs down on his head. Kibum was very content with being squished up to his umma for however long she'd allow it.

"Aw, look at Bummie being all cuddly."

But of course someone ruined it.

Lifting his head from his umma's shoulder, Kibum glared at his boyfriend who just had to up his moment.

Like, seriously, piss off Jonghyun. You aren't wanted right now.

"Ohhh, don't look at me like that," Jonghyun chuckled as he strode into the room.

Kibum crossed his arms and grumbled, pushing Jonghyun's face away when he bent down for a kiss. Of course the persistent bastard still got one, but Kibum fought it pretty hard.

"Why are you here? Go away, you're ruining my life," Kibum whined.

"It's four?"

"And?"

"And you're supposed to have dinner at my house today?"

And when did this ever... right. Kibum vaguely remembered Jonghyun asking him to come over, and barely remembered saying yes.

"Oh, okay."

Kibum pressed a fast kiss and a muffled goodbye to Myungsoo's cheek and stood up from his chair. He looked at his umma with some hesitation, but kissed her cheek as well before making a hasty exit.

"Now wasn't that just cute," Jonghyun snickered as he trailed after his blushing Kibum.

"Shut the up, pupzilla. I will not hesitate to dump you."

"Harsh. You know you love me."

"Not near as much as you think I do." Kibum deadpanned.

"You, sir, are mean!" Jonghyun pouted while Kibum jabbed at the elevator button.

"Uh, yeah," Kibum agreed easily, stepping between the opening doors. "Didn't you know? We've been dating for, like, six months."

Sliding in next to Kibum, Jonghyun snuggled his shoulder into his taller companions. Grinning like a fool, he perched his chin upon the slope of Kibum's shoulder and looked up at him with those big, puppy dog eyes.

"What?" Kibum asked, wondering if he should shove Jonghyun's face away for being creepy.

"We've been together for six months," Jonghyun giggled like a school girl. How gross is that?

"Oh, put a cork in it, you sentimental freak," Kibum rolled his eyes, really pushing Jonghyun's disgusting mushy face away this time.

"But, Bummie!" Jonghyun whined, reaching out for Kibum. "I'm a romantic! I can't not be sentimental. Let me hold you! Ki— Baby, come back!"

Kibum was out of that elevator the moment the doors were open wide enough for him to squeeze through. Jonghyun was right on his heels, though, and quickly leeched himself to Kibum's side.

"Clingy mother er," Kibum tsked, but curled his fingers around Jonghyun's hip anyway.

"Whatever, you adore it."

"You seriously overestimate my feelings for you."

Jonghyun pushed his bottom lip out in the beginnings of another pout but Kibum was quick to pop him lightly on the mouth.

"Hey, don't moue at me. I'll cut off all cuddles."

"You wouldn't dare!"

"Try me."

"... You're evil."

"Thanks, I try."

By then, Kibum was swinging the door of Jonghyun's car open and plopping down in the seat. Jonghyun the ignition and swung out of the parking lot maybe a little too fast for it being in front of a hospital.

"Hey," Jonghyun said when they were on the main road.

"Hmm?"

"I know it won't mean much, but I'm glad you made up with your umma."

Sitting straighter in his seat, Kibum turned inquisitive eyes on his boyfriend.

"Why do you even care?"

Chuckling, Jonghyun reached on hand over to twine his fingers with Kibum's.

"Because it made you happy? That's the first time since Myungsoo went under that I've seen you genuinely smile. And that makes me happy."

Scoffing, Kibum pulled his hand from Jonghyun's and crossed his arms over his chest.

"You always know just what to say, don't you?"

"Uh... did I upset you?" Jonghyun asked in a slightly panicked tone.

"Nope. Just makes me like you more, is all," Kibum grumbled, glowering out the window.

Jonghyun couldn't contain his burst of laughter, narrowly missing a street sign with the grill of his car when Kibum started wailing on him from the passenger seat.


Jonghyun's house was nothing like Kibum imagined. He'd pictured a small house with a stooping front porch and chipping paint. In his head, Jonghyun's house had been very worn, but cozy on the inside with a strong smell of baking cookies permeating the walls of every room in the house. Don't ask him why, he just figured his scruffy puppy would come from an equally scruffy home. Well, jokes on him, he guessed.

Kibum gaped at the big cast iron gates screeching as they opened. A big house--if you can even call it that--sat at the end of a long driveway with a ton of trees and flowers and all that good stuff surrounding it.

Holy ing hell...

Kibum would be lying if he said he hadn't always been rather well off. His parents made a decent amount every year, and Sungyeol had more than enough to support Myungsoo, Kibum, and himself without any help, but this was just ing ridiculous; absolutely inconceivable. It also made him hella nervous.

"Please tell me your house is a shack in the back that you're allowed to live in as a pet as long as you don't on the lawn," Kibum cringed, sinking into his seat like it could save him from Jonghyun's monster house.

"How is that in anyway more preferable?" Jonghyun questioned, side glancing at Kibum.

"Because a shack isn't as near as intimidating as that horrendous building in front of us! Do you see how big that thing is?"

"Kibum," Jonghyun snorted out, reaching over to pat Kibum's head. "Don't you worry your pretty little self over something like that. It's just a house."

"Just a house? A house?! That is no house, that is a modern castle," Kibum hissed with profuse amounts of anxiety flooding from his pores.

"Baby, there isn't anything to be worried about," Jonghyun frowned, rubbing the back of Kibum's neck comfortingly.

"Don't touch me, you're a liar!" Kibum barked, smacking Jonghyun's hand away.

"What? How am I a liar? I've never said anything about living in a big house."

"Oh, please," Kibum huffed. "You couldn't even afford a Las Vegas wedding, remember?"

Pulling over in front of the house (finally), Jonghyun turned to Kibum with a no bull face on.

"I wasn't lying. I live here, and I'm fed and clothed, but none of this is mine. My sister just so happened to marry a casino tycoon, and my parents are self-proclaimed environmentalists that were going to make me live in a forest with them, so my sister made them leave me with her."

Kibum side-eyed Jonghyun skeptically.

"So you're indirectly rich as hell?"

"Ha! Not even. I have to pay for just about everything I want myself because my brother-in-law thinks I'll use his hard earned cash to buy a bunch of stupid . Doesn't trust me very much, but I don't care. Don't need that ing prick."

Kibum picked up on the obvious dislike Jonghyun harbored for his brother-in-law. He thought about just letting it go, but that's no fun. And Jonghyun is his boyfriend, therefore he will be that snoopy from time to time.

"Why don't you like him?"

"Because he doesn't like me."

"Well, why?"

Jumping out of the car, Jonghyun waited for Kibum to slide out too before saying, "Everything about me, I guess. My hair, my clothes, my ual preferences, my dreams. All of it."

Jonghyun laced his fingers with Kibum and pulled him towards the monster house. "You name it, he's got a problem with it."

"Well, everyone's parents seem to be against their ual preferences," Kibum shrugged, thinking of his parents, and how Taemin would talk about Minho's.

"Onew and Taemin's parents are totally chill about it. Hell, I told my parents a long time ago and they were like somebody has to work on the population problem. May as well be you."

"Well, I mean, sure. That's one way to look at it."

"Doesn't matter, though. It's not my job to impress him."

By then, Jonghyun was pushing the front door open and pulling Kibum inside, and Ho-Ho-Holy ! Nope. This is a nope house. This is a house that is defined by nope.

Big-long-stair-case-ton-of-breakables-oh-my-god-is-that-a-servant galore! Kibum was not ready for these standards. It was too late, though. He didn't know how to drive, and there was no way in hell he was walking back home.

Kibum willed his fingers to stay firm as Jonghyun led him past the stair case, through a white-to-brown living room, and into a big kitchen with granite counter tops and spotless white cabinets. A women in formal wear sat at one of the barstools set up by the center island, tapping away at her phone.

"Noona, I'm home," Jonghyun called over his shoulder as they walked past. Guess they weren't sticking around to chat.

"Oh, Jonghyun, get—who's that?"

Jonghyun halted, hanging his head back in annoyance.

"Noona, this is Kibum. Kibum, this is noona. You can call her Sodam-ssi, I guess.

Turning back to Sodam, Kibum managed a tiny bow. She was one k
of those people who made him nervous on the spot because she was kind of someone he had to impress, and, man, was he bad at first impressions. Just ask Minho and his shins.

The cogs in her head turned for a few moments before she finally placed his name with something she knew.

"Oh! You're that boy he's been seeing."

Someone give the girl a cookie! Kibum's nod was just perceptible with his head angled towards the floor in awkwardness. Let the war against social interaction begin.

"Great, Alzheimer's hasn't taken you yet! You obviously have somewhere to be, so why don't we just go up to my room and not break anything, yeah?"

Jonghyun slung an arm over Kibum's shoulders and went to steer him out of the danger zone, but Sodam was a quick one.

"You mean we have somewhere to be," she called out before they could flee the kitchen. "We're having dinner with Jongseok's parents today."

"Nooo, we're having dinner with them tomorrow," Jonghyun said, stopping so he could stare pointedly at his sister. "I told you I was bringing Kibum over today. Several times."

"The plans changed, they can't make it tomorrow, so we're doing it today," she said with a complacent shrug. "Can you guys reschedule? Jongseok is going to be awfully put out if you don't come."

"Your plans changed, not mine," Jonghyun snorted. "And you can't exactly reschedule a birthday, so I'm gonna have to sit this one out. Tell 'em I'm there at heart or something."

"Jonghyun, please? It would mean a lot to Jongseok and me," Sodam pleaded.

"He doesn't like me. I don't like him. He'll be thrilled when you tell him I'm not going, trust me."

"But I want you two to like each other! There's no reason you shouldn't."

"I'm not the one that starts all the fights."

"Jonghyun—"

"Talk to you later, noona."

"Wait, you can bring Kibum with you!"

Commence sudden anxiety attack. Kibum's eyes were nothing short of wild when he looked to Jonghyun to save him from this obvious set up for destruction. He could already see himself imploding the moment anyone tried to speak to him, and that's not cute.

Jonghyun held Kibum rather protectively against his side and shook his head, saying, "Noona, I already told you about Kibum's social ineptitude. It isn't fair to ask him to try and sit through a meal with people he doesn't know, especially not these people."

Sodam pursed her lips, displeasure written all over her face, but she sighed in defeat and waved them off.

"Thanks, noona," Jonghyun grinned.

Jonghyun once again began the process of guiding Kibum out, when he rounded fast amd ran over to the fridge.

"Wait, there's a reason we came to the kitchen."

Pulling a plastic bag from the fridge, he fast walked over to Kibum and hooked his arm with his boyfriend's.

"Okay, back to the stairs."

Kibum was still shaking off that mini panic attack he almost had by the time they had made it up the stairs and to Jonghyun's room. Jonghyun's room was pretty ordinary, save for the sheer size of it. The items inside in no way indicated he was living under a rich man's roof.

"Welcome to Room de le Jonghyun," The dinodog grinned, dropping the plastic bag on his bed. "You're welcome to do whatever you want. Unless it involves going out my window."

Walking into the middle of the room, Kibum looked about to find a very familiar guitar set up to a very worn but well-loved guitar.

"Oh," he said softly, going over to crouch in front of the guitars. "You must be Juliette."

"The one and only," Jonghyun with pride. "She's my baby."

Kibum touched the dull blue of Juliette's colored wood, but quickly lost interest and went to Jonghyun's bed to lie down instead.

"So, you want the others to come over?" Jonghyun asked, scratching behind his ears. Kibum hoped he didn't have fleas.

"No, they're busy. They gave me presents earlier as compensation. Even Joon, and I don't remember mentioning my birthday to anyone."

"It's called being a stalker."

The evening went pretty swell, with the cake that turned out to be in the bag and the large stuffed fox Jonghyun gave him. They made an absolute mess in the kitchen, and snuggled in the living room to have a Harry Potter movie marathon that they gave up on after the third movie. It was a rather quiet and uneventful birthday party, but Kibum enjoyed it thoroughly. The best part was the water fight they had in the bathtub, but no one (meaning protective hyungs) needed to know they took a bath together. Or maybe the best part was the dirty thing that happened after in the bedroom... but, again, no one needed to know about that.


Hey... look whose still alive! I have school. Need to go to bed. Night!

Oh, if you are curious as to what Keikeu looks like now, then here you go.