Chapter Twenty

Comfort Zone

Kibum didn’t often feel the need to run. He hated the very idea of running. Actually, if his heart was racing and his breath coming out in labored pants, there was a 90% chance he was not enjoying himself. Myungsoo was worth the sweat, though, so Kibum ignored the burning in his lungs as he streaked through the hospital halls like his life depended on it. He could care less about the nurse and two security guards trying to stop him like he had a gun because he didn’t check in. There wasn’t any time for him to worry about that.  

Kibum shot down the labyrinth of hallways without hesitation, knowing the route to Myungsoo’s room like the back of his hand. His vision was blurred into an obscure mess by his heavy tears, but Kibum was confident he would have navigated his way in pitch blackness using nothing but muscle memory.

 When Kibum made it to Myungsoo’s floor, he had no recollection of whether he had taken the elevator or flew up the two flights of stairs to the third floor of the hospital. As he was only three seconds from bursting into Myungsoo’s room, he didn’t really have time to think nor care about his means of getting there.

Upon entering Myungsoo’s room, Kibum found it was much harder to get to his hyung than anticipated. The small room was cramped with doctors, nurses, and a miffed looking Sungyeol who had been shoved to the very back of them all. Kibum wouldn’t be having any of that, though, shoving healthcare workers maybe a bit too hard to get to the man he’d been missing for half a year now.

“Myungsoo!” Kibum sobbed, crashing down into Myungsoo’s arms, which opened up just in time to catch him.

Strong hands where immediately tugging at his shoulder’s to get him off of his hyung, but Myungsoo’s hissing added with thwacking sounds effectively dislodged the offenders from the trembling boy.

Kibum’s whole body was up in Myungsoo’s bed, his lithe form covering his hyung’s as his face found refuge in Myungsoo’s neck. Myungsoo cooed softly to him, up and down his back and singing quietly in his ear.

“Bummie, please stop crying,” Myungsoo pleaded softly, carding his finders through Kibum’s coco colored hair. “I’m fine, s-see? There isn’t anything to cry over.”

Myungsoo’s voice was very obviously broken and strained, which was a reason in itself for Kibum to ball all the harder.

“Mr. Kim,” a doctor sighed in agitation, “we cannot properly examine your eyes if you keep shoving us way.”

“Eyes?” Kibum sniffled, lifting his face to look at Myungsoo. “What’s wrong with your eyes?”

It was then that Kibum noticed Myungsoo wasn’t exactly looking at him right. His eyes were trained on Kibum, but they were squinted, as if Kibum was far away.  

“You… You can’t see me, can you?” Kibum choked, a fresh bout of tears welling up in the corners of his eyes.

“No, no, I can see you!” Myungsoo insisted. “You’re just blurry is all. It’s no big deal.”

“May I remind you that this is an injury due to brain trauma?” the doctor huffed. “It is a big deal. Something else could have very well been affected too.”

Alright. Okay. If someone didn’t stop talking in the next five seconds, Kibum was going to have a panic attack right there in the middle of his hyung’s hospital room in front of everyone. Well, at least he’s in a hospital. Someone will probably know how to calm him down.

“Oh my ing God, would you shut up?” Myungsoo growled. “You may as well have told him I’m dying.”

Wrapping his arms tightly around Kibum’s shoulders, Myungsoo tucked his head under his chin and spoke into his hair.

“Kibum, I’m awake, okay? I’m going to be just fine, even if I have to it up and wear glasses for the rest of my life. Just be happy about what’s good and quit focusing on what isn’t.”

“But,” Kibum croaked. “Don’t you know? Focusing on what’s bad is my specialty. I’d be a great divorce lawyer.”

Snorting, Myungsoo pecked the top of Kibum’s head and loosened his hold.

“I think the doctors are going to throw a fit if I don’t let them look me over now, cub.”

“Well, they’re going to have to do it just like this ‘cause I ain’t moving,” Kibum grumbled into Myungsoo’s hospital gown.

Staying true to his word, Kibum didn’t budge an inch during the doctor’s inspection. It made for a very ineffective inspection, and the doctor was probably going to have to do another one later, but Kibum was not going to let go of Myungsoo for at least twenty-four hours. It just wasn’t happening. 

Somewhere along the line, after the doctors and nurses left in frustration, Sungyeol had also ended up in the bed for one, and now they were a squished ball of fuzziness. Myungsoo and Sungyeol both rested on their sides while Kibum got to be the happy little squashed mess in the middle.

“Alright, so who said you were allowed to go to Jonghyun’s house, hmm?” Myungsoo frowned after a while of them talking about random nothings.

“He did,” Kibum pointed at Sungyeol.

“Oh, okay. I let you spend the night at your boyfriend’s house and this is the thanks I get? We’re spooning right now, I could strangle you so easily.”

“Myungsoo,” Kibum whined, burying his face in his hyung’s chest.  “Sungyeol hyung is being mean!”

“Yah, leave my baby alone!” Myungsoo chided, lightly hitting Sungyeol’s head. “There will be no—wait, Sungyeol hyung? Hyung. When did this upgrade happen?”

“I don’t know, it’s been a while,” Kibum shrugged.

“So… you like him?”

There was a vulnerability in Myungsoo’s voice just then. Kibum understood why perfectly—living for the past five and half years thinking you’d have to let your love go to take care of your dongsaeng would be a little bit ish.

“Yeah,” Kibum mumbled, grabbing at Sungyeol’s arm to drag it over Myungsoo so they were all tethered together in a way. “Now we’re on big happy family.”

“Actually, I think we’re kind of little,” Sungyeol chuckled, hugging both Kibum and Myungsoo tighter to his chest.

“No,” Kibum shook his head, counting off people on his fingers. “There’s you and Myungsoo, my hyungs. Taemin and Minho are my dongaengs, though Minho is that dongsaeng I only like sometimes. Onew is that cousin I only ever really talk to once in a while, so that makes Joon my cousin in law. Oh, and Hakyeon is my pet bunny—I miss him, by the way, I haven’t seen him in, like, six months. Also, Jonghyun is basically my yeobo. So we’re a good sized family.”

Nose scrunched, Myungsoo stuck out his tongue.

“Can’t Jonghyun be that passing phase?”

“Well, I’d like to think I wouldn’t have with a passing phase, but I guess Yifan and I didn’t last so long, so if that makes you feel better,” Kibum said bluntly.

“Excuse me?” Myungsoo blinked slowly.

“Oh, , pretend I didn’t say that,” Kibum giggled.

“You did what?! When I get out of this hospital, that pupp-a-sauras rex is dead! Do you hear me? DEAD!”

Kibum couldn’t help it. For the first time in ing forever, his lips pulled up at unnatural angle for himself in the biggest smile he’d sported since he was diagnosed with his personality disorders. Snagging Myungsoo around the neck, Kibum pulled the elder practically on top of himself to give the man the most bone crushing hug he’d ever received.

“I missed you,” Kibum whispered, trying his best not to cry for the billionth time that day.

Myungsoo calmed down pretty quick, rolling them over so he wasn’t crushing the smaller boy beneath him.

“Everything’s okay now,” Myungsoo grinned against Kibum’s head, kissing his cheek while squeezing his back just as tight.

“Saranghae,” Kibum sniffed, snuggling as close he could.

“Yeah, saranghae,” Myungsoo laughed quietly.

They were like that for a couple of minutes before Kibum felt Myungsoo’s lips pull into a frown against his forehead.

“Kibum, did you lose weight?”

“Oh, Jesus Christ, it was only ten freaking pounds!”


So, here's the chapter of gross you all have been waiting for XD