Chapter Thirteen

Comfort Zone

Kind of-ish Important: Okay, I should probably mention this to prevent confusion. Did anybody notice in the last chapter that I mentioned Kibum being in only his underwear, and then failed to ever mention him putting on clothes or being in his underwear after that? Well, I did. So, I had the option to either add in somehere that he got dressed, or keep him in his underwear. For some reason I couldn't seem to find a place to throw in that he put on pants, so... yeah, you don't have to go back and read that or anything, but the fact that everything happened in his underwear has now been ackowledged, and it is briefly mentioned in ths chapter. Remember when you mentioned having a funny picture of Kibum playing Candy Crush while the cops were watching him, OneLifeTooShort? Well, add in his underwear to that.


At the end of the week, when Kibum was finally free, he sent Jonghyun a text saying to be at his apartment at five o'clock on the dot for that date he'd mentioned. He briefly wondered when he'd gotten Jonghyun's number, but quickly deemed the information unimportant.

"There's still time to change your mind," Myungsoo said almost pleadingly.

"Nope, I'm going on that date, my dearest hyung," Kibum snickered, finding himself enjoying his hyung's misery.

"But there are so many better candidates! Like... anyone that's not him!" Myungsoo pouted.

"Oh," Kibum said dully. "Well, in that case, the drug dealer a few streets over is available tonight. I guess I'll go with him."

"But, that's not... You can't... That isn't even a fair comparison," Myungsoo whined.

"Well, you said anyone, didn't you?" Kibum smiled impishly. "Why are you so against Jonghyun, anyway? Yeah, he's stupid and all, but he's a pretty decent person otherwise."

"I remember a time when you didn't like him either," Myungsoo huffed

"Eh, that's all in the past," Kibum shrugged. "I've since opened my eyes and discovered he's actually kind of likable. And he has nice hands."

"Sungjong has a nice , but you don't see me itching to jump him," Myungsoo said.

"Hyung, you're a bottom. He's a bottom. See how the chemistry doesn't work? You both are too lazy for the top," Kibum snickered.

"... So what you're telling me is you like Jonghyun because he'll top you if you guys decide to get down and dirty?"

"What? No. I'm just saying Jonghyun and I probably go better than you and Sungjong... though I would prefer to have to do as little work as possible in bed, if you're really curious."

Myungsoo scrunched up his nose in immense distaste.

"Doesn't matter because there will be none of that until you're fifty."

"You think so?" Kibum chuckled.

"Oh, I know so," Myungsoo glared.

"Want to know a little secret, hyung? One I kind of forgot about until this very moment?"

"What?" Myungsoo said, caution lacing his tone.

"You remember when I ran off to live with that one guy for a few days last year?" Kibum asked.

"Yes..." Myungsoo said slowly. "He was the only person you had hung out with since your symptoms really started taking hold. His name was... Yifan, right? Big Chinese guy?"

"Mhmm," Kibum grinned. "He was a really nice guy. A really nice, hot guy that had been pining after me for a while. You wanna know what we were doing those few days I was over there?"

Myungsoo's eyes doubled, no, tripled in size at Kibum's suggestive smirk. Shaking his head in utter denial, Myungsoo slapped his hands over his ears.

"Nope! I'm not listening! Lalalalalalala!"

Giggling madly, Kibum jumped on Myungsoo to wrestle his hands away from his ears.

"We watched TV, and made hot chocolate, and cuddled, and, when his parents went to bed, we"

"If you don't shut the up, I will ground you for a month!" Myungsoo shrieked, trying to squish his palm over Kibum's mouth.

Kibum pursed his lips hard, trying to fight off his boisterous laughter.

"Okay. I suppose you can connect the dots by yourself," Kibum smiled, hopping off of Myungsoo.

A rapping at the door had Kibum pulling his eyes from his hyung, who was more or less having a seizure, and staring at the dark mahogany.

"Well, that's my date, I believe. See you later, hyung," Kibum winked, before bolting to the door before Myungsoo could stop him (or worse, beat him to the door and strangle Jonghyun).

Twisting the knob, Kibum flung the door open and closed it just as fast. Grabbing a surprised Jonghyun's wrist, Kibum peeled down the hall to the elevator, shoving the dino inside and slapping the 1st floor button harshly with his palm.

"Well, hello to you too," Jonghyun chuckled.

"Yeah, yoeboseyo."

The silence between them that lasted from the elevator to outside the apartment complex was very evident to Jonghyun (though Kibum didn't really take much notice at all).

In an attempt to make more decent conversation, though Kibum obviously didn't mind it, Jonghyun said, "So... I see you're wearing clothes today."

"Oh," Kibum said, looking down at his black skinnies and oversized blue t-shirt. "Yeah, I suppose I am."

"It's a shame, really. You look good clad in boxers," Jonghyun snickered.

In hindsight, crawling out the window in his underwear hadn't been the best idea Kibum had that day. Or ever, really.

"Really? I mean, sure, if you're in to the thin, pasty type," Kibum shrugged. It was kind of true. He was very thin and very pale. He had nice cheekbones going for him though.

"You're not that pale," Jonghyun tried at a comeback.

"Jonghyun, my skin glows in the sun," Kibum deadpanned. "If you put me in a cave right now, the whole damn place would light up."

"Hey, vampires are pale, and everyone thinks they're hot," Jonghyun countered.

"Interual selection, obviously."

"What?"

"Vampires aren't human, which for some reason makes them a preference amongst us humans," Kibum explained. "In a sense, being what they are makes them more 'attractive' to us. That's interual selection. I'm human, so I don't count."

"Do you not like the way you look or something?"

"Oh, no, I'm fine with my appearance. I'm just saying I ain't no vampire."

"But I never said you were."

"You kinda did."

Exasperated, Jonghyun switched the topic to the weather, in which Kibum said it's early April, which means spring, and spring means pollen, and pollen makes him sneeze.

"There aren't that many flowers around, though, are there?"

"You'd be surprised," Kibum chuckled a little. "Yesterday I was sneezing so hard I cried."

Jonghyun's mouth was straightened in a pensive line, his eyebrows furrowed slightly.

"You're a very pessimistic person, aren't you?"

"Maybe a little, but you would be too if you'd spent the better part of your teen years the way I did," Kibum sighed.

Jonghyun screwed his mouth shut after that, and even Kibum felt uneasy with the quiet as they walked down the street.

"Happy birthday," Kibum said suddenly, startling Jonghyun.

"How... did you know it was my birthday?"

"Taemin called me yesterday. Said I better sing to you."

Jonghyun looked at Kibum expectantly, like if he gave him those big puppy eyes long enough he'd actually do it.

"I'm not going to, if that's what you want."

"Awww, please?!" Jonghyun whined. "It's my birthday!"

"No way in hell," Kibum scoffed.

"But it's my birthday, and you're my date, and it's mandatory, and pretty please with a cherry on top?!"

"No," Kibum refused.

"Spoil sport," Jonghyun pouted.

"I'm fine with that."

Huffing, Jonghyun bumped Kibum with his shoulder in mock agitation.

"You're a terrible person."

"Oh, really?" Kibum cocked an eyebrow. "I guess you don't get your present then, since I'm so terrible."

It was funny how Kibum could actually picture a tail beating wildly behind Jonghyun as he perked up.

"You got me a present? What is it?! Is it your undying love, 'cause I would love that."

"No," Kibum glared, elbowing Jonghyun in the ribs. "Be realistic."

"Ouch, harsh," Jonghyun said, pretending to feel wounded.

Fishing through his pocket, Kibum pulled crisp paper won out of his pocket and held it out to Jonghyun.

"What's... all this?" Jonghyun asked, taking the yellow, green, and red bills.

"325000 won."

"Excuse me?!"

Jonghyun tried to shove the money back into Kibum's hand's, but the younger was having none of it.

"What part of present are you missing here?" Kibum snorted, pushing Jonghyun's hands away.

"A birthday present is, like, 25000 won! Where the hell did you even get all this?"

"Uh, out of my bank account? I have a lot more than that, ya know. Selling my old designer was a fantastic source of income."

Jonghyun looked all sorts of exasperated and confused.

"Okay, Mr. Loaded, but, still, why would you give me all of this?"

Jesus Christ, just take the ing money!!!

"Because Taemin told me you were saving up for a guitar, and you were short by that much, so shut the up and take my money," Kibum snapped.

See, Kibum was a thoughtful person, people just needed to be quiet and let it freaking happen without complaints!

All was silent on the puppy's side of the side walk, so Kibum looked over just in time to see a platinum blur plow into his body.

"Oh my God, I take it back! You're the best-est person in the whole wide world! Come on, we're going to America to get married!"

"Whoa, wait, what?" Kibum gasped, body lurching as Jonghyun tugged him forward. "I can't marry you, we haven't even gotten through date number one! What if you turn out to be a pig?"

Stopping, Jonghyun turned to Kibum with an amused expression.

"It's cute how you took that so literally. We can't just walk into America. Plus, I couldn't even afford a Las Vegas wedding after I get that guitar."

"Then... w-where are we going?" Kibum stuttered.

"A café that Taemin works at so we can weasel free out of him, then to Nakwon Music Mall."

Turning a glinting eye on Kibum, Jonghyun gave him a beautiful smile and said, "Then I'm taking you to Cheonggyecheon, and I'm going to serenade you whether you like it or not."

Oh... oh, hell to the ing no.

"I think I'm just gonna nope out of that last one," Kibum nodded in finality. "Yeah, that sounds like a plan."

"Sorry, sweetheart. You don't have a choice," Jonghyun grinned, trying to throw an arm over his shoulders, but then opting to settle for an arm around the waste. Jonghyun was a shorty, after all.

Kibum glared and struggled but found, irritatingly so, that Jonghyun was a hell of lot stronger than him. Well, he already knew that but, still, it .

"Hey, technically you asked me out," Jonghyun scolded. "So stop that and let me be cheesy!"

Kibum did stop, but only because he knew Jonghyun would drag him to Cheonggyecheon if he had to. And maybe he wanted to be serenaded. Just a little. But not really... But, ya, only a tiny bit.

Taemin was ever so excited to see his hyungs (" off Jonghyun, I only love Kibum hyung," he'd said to a pouting pupzilla). Taemin gave them two free red velvet chillers and a mini chocolate turtle cheesecake to split because it was Jonghyun's birthday and, honestly, Kibum knew the two brats loved each other.

Kibum barely had time to finish his chiller--and, no, and hour and a half is not enough time for him to adequately enjoy his cold coffee--before Jonghyun was pulling him out the door to head over to Nakwon.

Nakwon was full of all sorts a musical instruments. They had everything Kibum could imagine and then some. They even had a rack of ing multicolored bongos.

Jonghyun shot right past those little hand drums, though, and pulled a door open that held a hell a lot of guitars inside. Gaping, Kibum spun in a circle to take in all the acoustics and electrics and basses surrounding him.

"Holy ," he muttered under his breath.

"Bummie, I'm looking for a Gibson Hummingbird, not a Taylor T5z," Jonghyun laughed from behind him.

"Shut up, I can look at any guitar I want," Kibum grumbled.

It didn't take Jonghyun long to find the guitar, but it was getting dark by the time he was done playing with it. Though performing music wasn't really Kibum's idea of a good time, Jonghyun seemed really happy strumming away at the silver strings and he was actually pretty good at it.

Kibum had been sitting on the floor next to the stool Jonghyun was playing in, head resting on the dino's upper calf, when he was shaken gently out of a soft music induced half sleep. He was actually very content to just lay there resting on Jonghyun while the other played slow songs, but he didn't want Jonghyun to know that. He wasn't exactly sure why.

"Hey, wake up. I'm gonna buy the guitar and then we're leaving."

Kibum followed behind Jonghyun, fingers hooked through the other's belt loops while his brain was getting over the haziness of sleep. When they got to the counter, Kibum pressed against Jonghyun's back and rested his cheek on his shoulder. He wasn't ready to function yet, and Jonghyun was a convenient thing to lay on. It was a bit funny how that actually was the only reason Kibum was being so clingy, but Jonghyun was buzzing with happiness anyway.

Kibum vaguely heard the clerk greet them, and Jonghyun request to split the bill between an electronic transaction and cash.

"Um... excuse me, sir?"

Now that actually sounded pretty close, but Kibum chose to keep his eyes closed as he couldn't be bothered with the peasants that didn't understand that the queen was sleeping.

"Sir," the voice, a feminine one, said a bit louder, accompanied by a light shake to his shoulder.

What the could she possibly want?!

Cracking his eyes, Kibum saw a short, punked-out employee with a cute fairy face gnawing nervously on her lower lip.

"I'm really sorry to bother you, but... people are staring at you two and some look like they're about to come over here. I just don't want any trouble. Honest!"

Lifting his head groggily, Kibum twisted just enough to see that there was indeed many people staring, and some did look ready to march over.

Maybe it was the sleepiness that was eating away at the shields he had learned to keep up around people, or maybe it was just the new setting, but, either way, Kibum felt his chest constrict and panic start to flood his brain."

"Jonghyun," Kibum whispered. "W-We have to go."

"Just ignore it, we'll be out in just a minute," Jonghyun said gently, handing the clerk his card. "It's gonna be fine."

But it wasn't fine. Kibum could feel them piercing him with their eyes, and he knew they wouldn't stop looking if he let Jonghyun go. Not that he could; his brain had him subconsciously latching on to his comfort tool, which just so happened to be Jonghyun at the moment.

"Jonghyun," Kibum hissed, shaking him a little. "Jonghyun they won't stop looking."

Growling in frustration, Jonghyun whipped around to glare over Kibum's shoulder.

"I know you have got better things to do then stare at us, so turn the around and stop freaking him out!" Jonghyun yelled, glowering pointedly at anyone who didn't immediately fumble to look busy with whatever they were doing.

"See? All better," Jonghyun grinned, patting Kibum's hip gently.

"Yeah... sure."

New guitar slung over his shoulder in a fabric case, Jonghyun tugged Kibum out by his wrist and laced their fingers together once they were out in the cool night time air. Kibum judged it to be around eight o'clock, meaning Myungsoo was probably eagle eyeing the door so he could pounce when they got back.

"Now, to Cheonggyecheon!" Jonghyun laughed, grasping Kibum's hand tightly.

"Wait, are we walking?"

"Yes ma'am."

Oh, this is going to have to carry my home.

Jonghyun was practically skipping down the steps to the lit up waterfall spilling into the Cheonggyecheon stream when they got there and Kibum, being a hard core walker, slunk down the steps with heavy, aching feet.

my life...

Jonghyun eagerly brought him near the waterfall, sitting him against the concrete wall a bit away from the stream. There were a ton of people sitting all around the stream cuddling with their significant others and playing with scolding young children that were trying to get in the water.

ping his case, Jonghyun sat the fabric container behind him against the wall, and settled the guitar in his lap.

"Okay," Jonghyun grinned, positioning his fingers on the strings. "Prepare to be swept off your feet."

"How do you know how to play if you just got a guitar?" Kibum asked.

"I have another guitar, genius," Jonghyun chuckled. "But ol' Julliette has seen better days."

"You named your guitar?" Kibum snorted

"You named that stuffed elephant?" Jonghyun shot back.

"How do you?"

"Taemin."

"Ya know, that little has been sharing a lot of ing stuff lately," Kibum mumbled.

"Are you going to name this one?" Kibum inquired.

"Mhmm, already have a name."

"What is it?"

Grinning real big, Jonghyun said, "Key."

"Key? Whatever, it's your guitar."

Jonghyun snickered like he knew something Kibum didn't, and shrugged.

"Its name has to be something special, so, yes, Key will do quite nicely. Now, shut the hell up while I sing you the lastest song I have learned how to play."

, he wasn't joking.

Clearing his throat, Jonghyun loosened his shoulders a bit before flicking his wrist to start off the song.

"Stand by me nal parabwajwo
Ajik sarangeul morujiman"

Kibum felt his cheeks heat up something terrible when he heard the first lines because he knew that song, and that cheesy mother er was actually singing it.

"Stand by me nal jikyobwajwo
Ajik sarange sotuljiman"

By the time Jonghyun was finished with the first stanza many had already started to tune in, gathering about to hear the sweetness that was Jonghyun's voice. Kibum wished he could sink into the ground and die from the embarrassment. Yeah, that would be great.

"Noreul bulsurok kibuni chohwajyo
Nado mollae noraereul bullo
Han songi jangmireul sago shipojin
Iron nae moseub shingihande
Nae maeumi noyege dahneundeuthae
I sesangi areumdawo
Iron solle imeul nodo neuggindamyon
Budi chogumman kidaryojwo

Together make it love
Forever making you smile
Noye hwanhan miso gadukhi
Together make it love
Forever making you smile
Ije naesoneul naesoneul chaba

Woah~ Stand by me nareul parabwajyo
Ajik sarangeul moreujiman
Woah~ Stand by me nareul jikyobwajwo
Ajik sarange sotungot gata

Noreul alsurok kaseumi ttollyowa
Naneun geujo utgoman isso
Noyege salmyoshi kiseu haebolkka
Chogum ni mame tagasolkka
Nae maeumi ojjomyon sarangilkka
Nan ajigeun sujubeunde
Ajik hangoreumdo tagasoji mothan
Naye sarangeul kidaryojwo

Together make it love
Forever making you smile
Noye hwanhan miso gadukhi
Together make it love
Forever making you smile
Ije chogumsshik chogumsshik kalkke

Woah~ Stand by me nareul parabwajwo
Choum to kakkawo chigoshipo
Oh~ Stand by me nareul jikyobwajwo
Jom do mochige boigo shipo

Nan chewumen mollasso
Nugunga paraboneunge
Ajikdo naemaeum molla
Keudaeneun keudaereul saranghae~ Woah~

Together make it love
Forever making you smile
Noye hwanhan miso gadukhi
Together make it love
Forever making you smile
Ije naesoneul naesoneul chaba

Oh~
Stand by me nareul parabwajyo
Sarangeul moreujiman
Woah~
Stand by me nareul jikyobwajwo
Ajik sarange sotungot gata"

The crowd that had gathered around them erupted into applause, but Jonghyun was only looking at Kibum's unreadable expression.  Kibum was hunched over like a turtle, hiding his blushing cheeks from Jonghyun.

Worrying his plush bottom lip, Jonghyun nudged Kibum with his shoulder and pulled him up to his feet.

"Come on. It's late, your hyung probably wants you back."

A heavy silence hung over them the entire bus ride back to Kibum's apartment building. Kibum looked blank again, like he did the first time they met, and Jonghyun couldn't help but worry. It would be a real pain in the to have to start over again.

Jonghyun, being a gentle man, walked Kibum from the bus stop to the door of his home. Rocking back on his heels, Jonghyun smiled nervously.

"So um... I had fun. We should do this again sometime... ya know, if I didn't just scar you for life," he chuckled anxiously.

Kibum just stared at him, brows pulled low as he contemplated two endings to this date. Just... which one?

"Uh, Kibum ah?"

Oh, it.

Stepping away from his door, Kibum grasped the boy's head between his hands and pressed his lips to Jonghyun's. It wasn't anything earthshattering; just a few seconds of feeling how well they fit before Kibum was pulling away from a stunned still dinodog.

Jonghyun's eyes widened considerably and his mouth was hanging open in utter shock. Smiling softly, Kibum pushed his jaw closed with a few fingers and kissed the corner of his mouth.

"Good night, Jjong."

Stepping away, Kibum quickly pulled the door open and closed it before Jonghyun could say anything. Kibum rested his back against the door and touched his heated lips with his fingertips. He was kind of glad no one could see his stupid smile in the dark entryway of his apartment.


Okay, so, ya see, what had happened was I read this story called space cowboy (it was a sekai), and it made me cry so freaking hard that I had to balance out my feels by writing something so sweet it gave me diabetes. That's where all of that came from.

Yeah, so, it's been a while, hasn't it? I've been uh... sleeping and reading and just not writing. AFF is also stalling majorly on my computer right now, so everything I type pops up five seconds after I type it, and it's pissing me off, so I'm having trouble dealing with it right now.

Anyway, this is Cheonggyecheon. There is no way I'd be able to make that kind of name up. It's a seven mile long public attraction in downtown Seoul, and I want to go play in it.

Lmao, sorry it took so long, please comment, sorry mistakes, and thanks. Bye bye.