Chapter Sixteen

Comfort Zone

Note: This chapter is a bit shorter because... I felt like this was something that was kind of it's own thing, but it also wasn't something that was as long as the more recent chapters. Like, I didn't feel like it should have a second part in a different scene per say. Just saying, it's shorter.

BTW, for anyone who doesn't figure it out, na-do saranghae means I love you too. 


Kibum hummed softly while he dragged a few fingers through Myungsoo's cocoa brown hair. His head was resting on his hyung's chest, right above where that big gash ended on Myungsoo's lower pectoral muscle. What he wouldn't give just to see those dark lashes flutter, even if it was for only a moment.

After further X-rays when Myungsoo's breathing had started to worsen, the doctors had determined that the rib that broke would need to be wired back into place if his chest cavity was to heal. He'd undergone an emergency surgery to move the bone back into place that same day and now, two months later, Myungsoo's lung was finally functional enough to work on its own.

He'd been moved out of ICU earlier that morning, so Jonghyun had tagged along seeing as he apparently had nothing better to do after school than follow Kibum around like a puppy dog. Or maybe he just wanted to check on Myungsoo. It might have been a bit of both

"How long has he been asleep again?" Jonghyun asked, breaking the silence.

"Two and a half months," Kibum said back quietly.

"Is... that bad?"

"Well... the longer he's asleep, the worse the prognosis. But the doctor doesn't seem too worried right now."

"Are you? Really worried, I mean."

Worried? More like terrified. Kibum woke up crying more times than he could count because he'd dreamt that Myungsoo's heart monitor went flat. Sungyeol would wake up and rush in every time to make sure Kibum was alright and not destroying his room—which he had done about a month ago after he had a complete mental meltdown—then lie down with Kibum in his room so he could get to sleep.

"More than you'll ever know," Kibum sighed tiredly.

Jonghyun's fingers curled over Kibum's shoulders, his thumbs gently working the knots out of the stressed muscles. Kibum closed his straining eyes and allowed his shoulders to relax under the attention.

"Ya know," Kibum said suddenly after a few minutes of silence. "I'm glad you and the others chased me around campus that one day. And got me arrested. And... just didn't leave me alone."

"Really?" Jonghyun chuckled. "Finally enjoying our company?"

"I feel like I'd be worse off if I didn't have you guys," Kibum admitted.

"Even Minho and Onew?"

"Even them."

"Well, glad to be of service," Jonghyun laughed behind him.

"Don't joke, I'm being serious."

"I know, I get it."

"No you don't. I'm trying... I want to say," Kibum fumbled, trying hard to work his tongue around an appropriate word.  "S-Saranghae."

Jonghyun's fingers halted in their kneading and tightened ever so slightly.

"You do?" Jonghyun said, amazement in no way masked.

"Yeah, I do... I mean, not the way you're thinking. I love you, but I'm not... in love with you. If that makes sense," Kibum mumbled, looking at Myungsoo's chest so he didn't have to look at Jonghyun.

"It does," Jonghyun said softly. Leaning over Kibum's seat, he draped himself over Kibum's back the best his short legs would permit and kissed in between the younger's shoulder blades. "Na-do saranghae."

Kibum didn't smile—hadn't been able to since the day of the wreck—but he felt warm tendrils wrapping around his heart, holding the cold organ firmly so it could soak up the heat. Kibum wasn't happy, but he thought this could be enough for the time being.

"Eh-hem," someone coughed, and Kibum felt those warm tendrils ice over from the mere sound of the disapproving tone of someone he'd hoped he'd never see again.

"Umma," Kibum sat up, holding back a hiss.

Mrs. Kim stood in the doorway, lips pursed in their usual way, with an equally disgusted Mr. Kim standing behind her.

"Kibum," she said with tight lips. "This is a rather inappropriate place for such vulgar displays of affection, don't you think?"

"He was hugging me," Kibum glowered, not bothering to hide the loathing in his voice.

"Be polite to your umma, young man," his appa barked, a sneer in his beady little black eyes.

"There will be no fighting in here," the gruff, no-nonsense voice of Myungsoo's doctor said, appearing behind Kibum's parents. "Take it to the parking lot if you're going to go for each other's throats. Family disputes are to stay outside of my hospital."

Kibum's parents looked miffed, but stayed silent.

"As I was saying," the doctor huffed, turning to Mr. and Mrs. Kim. "It's up to you seeing as he has no spouse when to pull the plug, but I highly recommend waiting longer."

Kibum stiffened, as did Jonghyun. What did he mean... pull the plug?

"How much longer?" Mrs. Kim asked, sounding way too indifferent for an umma. "Surely he should have woken up by now if he was going to at all."

"Ma'am, comas can last a very long time," the doctor said slowly, like he was talking to an imbecile. "His health has improved substantially
and nurses have reported seeing his eyes move under the lids recently, which is a very good sign. I wouldn't even allow you to pull the plug right now. I'm just saying that it's your decision if the time comes."

"How exactly would that even work?" Mr. Kim cut in. "Would you euthanize him?"

"Sadly, we aren't allowed to make deaths for people in a vegetable state that easy. He'd just have to lie there till he starved."

Kibum couldn't believe his ears. How could his parents even be talking about letting Myungsoo die?

"H-He's your son," Kibum stuttered, tears pricking at the corner of his eyes. "How can you talk about him like he doesn't matter? Like his existence is inconvenient?!"

"Quiet, Kibum," Mrs. Kim snapped. "If he can't be saved there's no merit in keeping him alive."

"You say that like it's already too late!" Kibum yelled, shoving up from the seat. "T-The doctor said he was showing positive signs and you're just ready to let him die! Why? Because he spited you by daring to love me?"

"Sit down, Kibum," his appa demanded, anger burning in his eyes.

"Kibum, calm down," Jonghyun said, pulling the boy around to face him. "You heard the doctor, right? He's not going to let them make that decision unless he doesn't think Myungsoo will wake up. Please stop crying, baby, everything's fine."

Jonghyun swiped the pads of his thumbs under Kibum's liner-less eyes and kissed his nose.

"You've been crying too much," Jonghyun tsked, pulling Kibum's head down to his shoulder. "Chin up. Myungsoo will pull through. You'll see."

Kibum left long after his parents, though they'd only actually been there for fifteen minutes. He was currently sitting in the middle of the front seat, where the console pushed up to make a mock seat, wrapped snuggly around his boyfriend while he drove him home.

Jonghyun killed the engine in front of the apartment complex. Kibum made no move to get out, favoring his position against Jonghyun over moving.

"Come on, sweetie, it's about time Sungyeol had some company," Jonghyun smiled, unbuckling Kibum's seatbelt.

He gave Kibum a long kiss goodbye before pretty much shoving him out so he'd go send time with Sungyeol. It's not that Kibum didn't want to, it was just that Jonghyun made him feel very protected and pleasant. Which was still nasty, by the way.

Kibum found he was actually quite tired by the time he'd made it up to his apartment. He pushed the door open with a yawn and closed it quietly behind him. It was uncharacteristically quiet, even under the circumstances.

Kibum trudged down the hall thinking he'd go to bed early, homework be damned, but stopped in front a his hyung's door. A muffled sound was coming from the crack of the door, barley loud enough to be heard.

Peeking in, Kibum saw Sungyeol sitting on the edge of his bed with his face in his hands. He was silent, save the occasional sniff. Tears leaked from his palms and slid down his arms, leaving shiny tracks that reflected the dim light of the nightstand lamp.

Kibum had half a mind to pretend he hadn't seen—give the guy his privacy, ya know—but thought of all the times Sungyeol had come into his room, looking exhausted and just as upset, to rub his back and shush him or sing till he fell asleep. Kibum couldn't have bared to be alone all those times. The feeling was probably mutual.

Kibum pushed the door open without a sound and crept over to Sungyeol. Kibum wasn't incredibly experienced in being comforting, but a hug had done wonders for him just a few hours ago.

One hand in the back of Sungyeol's head, the other in his shoulder, Kibum pulled his face into his stomach and wrapped his arms around his neck.

"Kibum," Sungyeol gasped in surprise, straightening so his face was level with Kibum's chest.

"Just... be quiet," Kibum said, tucking Sungyeol's head under his chin.

"Y-You don't have to," Sungyeol pulled back a little and smiled, though it was broken. "I know this stuff makes you feel weird."

"What part of be quiet did you not understand?" Kibum huffed, pulling Sungyeol's head back into place.

"Really," Sungyeol whispered into Kibum's neck. "I'm fine."

The tears trailing down Kibum's neck said otherwise.

"Don't pretend you're okay," Kibum murmured. "If you need to cry then do it. If you need someone to be with then don't be afraid to ask. You've been my rock, so let me be yours, hyung."

Sungyeol chuckled lightly and enveloped Kibum in a tight hold.

"Since when did you become the strong one?" Sungyeol grinned.

"I don't think I'm strong. I just figured... it's easier to be weak together than alone."

"You're not weak. I think you're the strongest person I've ever met."

Kibum rolled his eyes, but took the compliment.

"Thanks, I guess."

Kibum held Sungyeol firmly against himself until his eyes dried up and the sniffles subsided.

"Hey, Sungyeol?"

"Hmm?"

"Remember when you first took me to the hospital."

"How could I forget?" Sungyeol snorted into the column of Kibum's throat. "You ran off and scared the ever loving piss of out me."

"Na-do saranghae."

"...R-Really?"

"Yeah. And I'm gonna be here to take of you too. Even if he isn't."


Okay, mushy chapter will be mushy and Kibum's parents will forever be y. Yay. Look at Kibum, finally admitting that he appreciates the people in his life. Such a big step!

Anyway, thanks for reading, sorry for mistakes, and I hope you enjoyed the short update.

Oh, just so you know, the last sentence in no way means that Kibum is accepting the fact that Myungsoo could still die. If he does die, things will be thrown, stuff will be broken, tables will be flipped, and things will be blown up. He's just going to take care of Sungyeol when he's finished destroying South Korea.

Lmao, bye XD