Chapter Five

Comfort Zone

Edited 10/16/14 


A week and some odd amount of days passed, and Kibum could feel the strong wall he had built around his brittle soul slowly chipping away. Taemin and Jonghyun were coming on as strong as ever, and his most recent therapy session could only be called counterproductive.

To add salt to his wounds, Kibum's parents had yet to agree to relinquish custody of him. They said it was something they needed to think seriously about. Kibum called B.S., those sadistic bastards just liked watching him squirm.

Sitting alone on a park bench, Kibum lapped at the ice cream dripping off the cone he bought a minute ago. He had snuck out of the house when his parents weren't looking. One way or another, be it to boot camp or driving away in Myungsoo's car, they would see him gone. He may as well enjoy himself as his uncertain future got closer to becoming reality.

Popping his ankles a few times, Kibum leaned back in the splintering bench wondering when his relationship with his parents had become such a mess. Three years ago when he was diagnosed? The first time he had ran away thinking his parents were trying to oust him? Neither sounded right. If Kibum had to pick on particular event that started it all, Kibum would say it was the day of his fifteenth birthday.

What happened sounded so comical that it was amazing how traumatized it left him. It was so ridiculous, so strange that Kibum sometimes wondered how messed up you had to be to do what he did.

For a month Kibum had been reminding his parents that the only thing he wanted for his birthday was a Siamese munchkin kitten. Munchkins were the cutest things with their little stubby legs and how they stood up like meerkats. Kibum was head over heels for these tiny cats he'd found online one day.

His parents would tell him every time that they got it and they would get him his kitten. On the day of his birthday, Kibum had almost fallen down the stairs he'd descended them so quickly. What he found at the bottom wasn't what he had expected at all.

His parents were there in the living room with a wrapped box but no kitten. Kibum knew it wasn't in the box, and, what with his condition, it wasn't wise to play jokes on him.

His parents preceded to explain to him that they had went to a breeder that had the kitten he wanted but discovered his appa was allergic to cats when they got there. Other children, especially those of his age, would have been  marginally upset, but most likely understanding. Kibum wasn't other children.

Running up to his room, ignoring the present on the table, he locked himself in his room to brood and hate life. He didn't come out for two days.

When he finally opened his door, a worried twenty-year-old Myungsoo was waiting for him. His parents had been there too, but he denied their existence.

It was so dumb. He way overreacted, but all he could think was that they lied to him and they probably had been the whole time. After that his relationship with his parents rapidly deteriorated.

Kibum was jumpy around them, always second guessing them, and had called the cops on them once or twice. To this day, however stupid it may be, Kibum still doesn't trust his parents.

Finishing off the cone, Kibum stared at the playground with the mild curiosity that came with having never been there before. Getting lost in thought, Kibum took no notice to the man that had sat down next to him.

"Your eyes are starting to cross," a deep voice said.

Slowly turning his head to his right, Kibum stared at the boy. He looked about his age.  There was another guy standing off a few feet away.

"You're Kibum, right?"

Inspecting the man, Kibum came to the conclusion that he had no idea who the hell he was. He didn't recognize his wide-eyed friend either. Wide-eyed friend... oh, no, he got it.

"Mhmm."

"I'm Kai."

Rolling his shoulders, Kibum stood. "I know. Taemin mentioned you ditching him for Sir Owl Eyes over there once. Now, if you would excuse me, I'm trying to be antisocial."

Kibum walked way, but of course they followed. ing hell, why? Why is everyone talking to me? I swear the next stranger who tries make nice with me is getting shanked in the gut.

"You're who Taemin is ignoring me for? Damn, he at least could have picked someone with manners."

Kibum halted and shot Kai an apathetic look. "Um, you in Taemin's grade?"

"Yeah? So?"

With an intense stare Kibum said, "So shut the hell up, freshman."

Kibum continued on his way but Kai was tail-gating him. Dude, if you don't step off, I'm going to brake check you.

Grabbing Kibum's elbow, Kai pulled him to a stop. Bro, get a clue!

"Wait... did he say why he won't talk to me?"

Kai had a kicked puppy expression that Kibum was finding rather easy to look over. "Were you not listening? He said you ditched him for what's-his-name. Can I go now?"

"I didn't ditch him though, why does he think that?"

With a harsh breath, Kibum turned to fully face Kai. "Look, we aren't really friends. He didn't give much detail over the matter. If I had to guess, I'd say you started paying less attention to him in favor of your friend over there."

Kai's buddy looked a little nervous under Kibum's scrutinizing leer. He was a slight boy that even Kibum could take down.

"But he was with us all the time!"

"So he was the third wheel."

"I... guess."

Kibum nearly face-palmed. "You couldn't figure that out on your own? God, your just as stupid as Taemin, maybe even more so. Happy? Dilemma solved? Good, now go play."

Already worn out from about three minutes of human interaction, Kibum no longer felt the desire to be outside. Nature's gross anyway.

Kibum trudged down the street in the direction of his home. If he was lucky his parents wouldn't have noticed he left, or, better yet, not even cared because they were handing him off to Myungsoo. It was unlikely, but he could dream, couldn't he?

Well, children, dreams are for losers because as soon as he walked through the door a shoe came flying his way. A damn shoe! Are they ing drunk, what the hell is this?

"Okay, why was that necessary? Are you trying to take off my head with your heels, umma?" Key mumbled to himself.

Neon pink high tops abandoned by the door, Kibum made a bee line for the stairs. He'd rather just not right now. He'd rather just not anything right now. The less he functioned the happier he'd be.

Kibum eagle dived onto his plush mattress. Snuggling against Pie, he began to speak to him.

"Pie, we live in a world full of stupid, PMSing es. You, me, and Myungsoo are the only sane people in this whole Goddamn country, I think. Heh, funny coming from me, huh? The guy talking to his stuffed elephant."

the toys soft head, Kibum kissed his trunk. "Eh, I don't care. You make me feel better. I should take you to the TGA meeting tonight. I bet Hakyeon would get a kick out of me walking in with you. He thinks I'm bullting him about talking to an elephant. I never said you were real or anything."

Ah, that dreadful TGA meeting. Teen Group Anonymous. It's where troubled teenagers from the darkest trenches of Seoul came to talk about their problems. Of course Kibum never spoke. Too much nonexistent baggage they could use against him.

Cha Hakyeon and him didn't talk much, but he was the closest thing to a friend Kibum had in that place. They were alike in a way, so they were naturally drawn to each other.

Hakyeon was the only other one of their fifty-ish person group that had a personality disorder; avoidant personality disorder. With something like that it's amazing him a Kibum are even on speaking terms. Kibum thinks it might be because he told Hakyeon he was cute when they first started the meetings. Might have made him feel more at ease around Kibum.

"I wonder how Hakyeon is doing. He seemed pretty upset last week but he never told me why. He told me he liked some guy named Ravi a few weeks ago. Maybe it didn't work out."

Kibum talked to Pie about all the random things he couldn't talk about to most others. He spilled everything weighing him down onto his elephant.

"I don't know whether this is cute or a problem.

Myungsoo was snickering in the doorway. Kibum stuck his tongue out at him and continued on with his conversation.

"Ya know how I told you that I loved my brother? Well, I take it back."

"Oh, you do now? Well, I was going to tell you that I'm going with our parents tomorrow to finally settle the custody ordeal, but I guess we won't need to be doing that now, will we? Since you don't love me and all."

And cue the internal implosion. Kibum fell off his bed, tripped over the blankets, ran into the nightstand and kicked something hard in the span of the seven seconds it took to get to Myungsoo. Go children! Live your dreams!

Kibum ran into Myungsoo so hard that he bowled him over. Needless to say, they both took a rather inelegant fall to the floor.

"Holy ... you broke... my ," Myungsoo wheezed.

"Saranghae, saranghae, saranghae!"

"I think... you punctured... a lung."

Kibum pushed up from Myungsoo's chest eliciting a moan of pain from the older and sat on his hunches.

"Well, it up, buttercup! Come on, come on, come on! We gotta pack! When are we leaving? Can we go now? Let's go now."

"Dude, you're not on even on my insurance plan yet. Also, we can't leave before I buy a place. Get off my bladder you little prick, you nearly sacked the pee out of me."

With a huff Kibum lifted himself from Myungsoo and left him on the floor to die from his punctured lung. Checking his bedside clock Kibum determined it was 6:50 P.M.. The meeting was at 7 o'clock and the recreational center it was held in was twenty-five minutes away. Whoops.

Grabbing Pie, Kibum crouched down next to a still grounded Myungsoo.

"Hey. Hyung. I'm going to be late, get the up."

"You head."

Kibum walked in at 7:15 on the dot. The instructor looked less than impressed.

"Well, it is certaintly nice of you to join us, Mr. Kim. May I ask why you're so late?"

"But of course! Ya see, on my way over I found a ghost house with weird tribal carvings all around. Being curious little campers, me and my hyung decided to saunter on up to the door and give it a knock. Like good little es, we waited for the crazy voodoo man inside to open the door and take us captive. I escaped after he mutilated my hyung's body, drank his blood, and threw his remains into a volcano in the name of his voodoo fire god. Seriously, why the heck do you think I'm late? I didn't leave my house on time."

It was rude but Kibum didn't care. All this man did was point out what they were doing wrong with their lives. God forbid he actually give some astute advice.

"Your sass is not appreciated."

"Dude, look at all the s I give," Kibum shot back coldly.

Pinpointing Hakyeon's location, Kibum picked his way through the throng of adolescents and sat down next to him. Hakyeon looked relieved to see Kibum as he pressed against him for moral support Kibum didn't know he was providing. Hakyeon didn't say anything, but he took Pie from Kibum.

After twelve minutes of the rat bastard instructor preaching, Hakyeon said softly, "So... you weren't talking about a living elephant?"

"No. Say hi to Pie."

Hakyeon smiled but once again fell mute. He really was just a cutie, Kibum didn't know how avoidant personality disorder managed to get a hold of him.

"Mr. Kim, Mr. Cha, do you have any input for once?"

Gripping Pie a bit tighter, Hakyeon shook his head. See, what I tell you? My elephant is ing great, Hakyeon, and you know it.

Kibum shrugged and didn't say anything. He would say nothing more than what he did on the first day and the TGA meetings. Hi, my name is Kim Kibum, I'm sixteen years old, and I have paranoid and schizoid personality disorder. Please take care of me. That had been a piss poor day for him, telling over fifty people the secret he kept under lock and key.

"Of course. Moving on then."

The meeting ended at 8:30 with a fizzle and him and Hakyeon had to part ways. Hakyeon was having Pie withdrawals by the time they made it to the building entrance/exit, whatever side of the door you're on. Damn, Pie, why do you have to be the ?

"Don't look so devastated. Next time I see you I'll give you a Pie Jr.."

Hakyeon smiled and blushed a little. With a small nod of goodbye, he headed for a women secreting sunshine; probably his umma.

"Hey, cub," Myungsoo greeted. "How was it?"

"Unproductive and boring as always. Did you find a place while I was gone?"

"I found some apartments we can look at. I have to go and sign the custody transfer tomorrow, so it probably won't be until Tuesday."

Nodding, Kibum got in on the passenger side. "I can't wait to move the out of that hell hole."

"Me either, Bummie."


Kibum's eyes sagged in his first hour the next day as he fought to stay awake. He didn't get to bed till four in the morning. How can one sleep when there was so much getting the hell out to be done? That's right, one cannot.

Kibum's forehead thunked against the desk as he lost all motivation to pretend to be listening. math, I can just skim the chapter in the text book.

Silence resonated throughout the room as the teacher glared at Kibum. He could feel the beady little eyes burning holes in his uniform. Dude, glare all you want, I could not give two flying s.

Someone poked his shoulder and he had half a mind to bite the finder that touched him.  No, as far as all you es are concerned, I'm dead. Don't disrespect the deceased!

When class ended Kibum really was asleep. Screw the bell because he wasn't hearing it. A crick in the neck was probable but not important as he was going to pass out from exhaustion.

Lightly shaking his shoulder, Minho tried not to cringe as Kibum roused from his slumber. It had been two weeks since Minho last had a proper conversation with Kibum.

"Kibum, it's time to go."

" off, frog, let me sleep."

"I-I'm sorry..."

Raising his head, Kibum looked at Minho passively.

"For what?"

"Huh?"

"What are you apologizing for exactly?"

Minho looked anywhere that was not Kibum. It was awkward talking to him after what was said at the station. Minho really wanted to make it right though. The guilt had been consuming him since the words left his mouth. He may have also been trying to obtain the heart of a little troll that wouldn't forgive him unless Kibum did.

"For everything..."

Kibum nodded and stood.

"Well good thing making me late falls under everything 'cause that's what I'm going to be in two minutes. How long did you wait to wake me up?"

Leaning back against the desk, Kibum stared up at Minho. Damn, he was a freakin' tree.

Minho avoided Kibum's eyes like his life depended on it. Maybe it did.

"I didn't mean what I said. I just got upset when you lashed out at Taemin. I truly am sorry."

Kibum made a small rumble in the back of his throat in acknowledgement.

"One of the various symptoms of paranoid personality disorder is holding grudges," Kibum said as he nonchalantly inspected the fingernails he finally fixed during his insomnia. Flicking his lined eyes up at Minho, he almost laughed at the state of panic the boy was in.

"You, my giant frog prince, are lucky you didn't say something I wasn't already aware of. Don't get me wrong, I'm still pissed, but I don't hate you or anything."

"Oh thank God. Can you go tell Tae that?"

Kibum scoffed. "I'm not going to help you bed the baby, pedo."

"I would never!"

"Bull, I can feel your pheromones from two miles away."

"No, I just... really want him to like me back."

Kibum blinked at Minho. "Does he use you?"

"For banana milk."

"Does he with your life?"

"Like the in-ist teenage girl."

"He ever kiss you?"

"If I'm sad or ticked."

Listening to the shrill bell, the tell-tale sign of a tardy student, Kibum picked up his and looked at Minho with his famous indifferent eyes.

"Congratulations, Naveen. You've got your princess in the pond, just were you want him."

"Naveen? Wait, what do you mean?"

"You'll find out eventually."

"Kibum, wait, what do you mean? Does that mean he likes me? How do you figure?"

"I think I've done me apparently daily duty of talking to a . Goodbye."

Minho was on Kibum's until they had to part ways.

"Why won't you tell me? Did he tell you not to? That , I bet he did. Wait, where are you going? Kibum? KIBUM! Wait... WHO'S NAVEEN?!"


the author's note, I had to do this chapter twice because of my damn computer.

Hakyeon (Aww, he's so ccuuttee)

Avoidant personality disorder

  • Too sensitive to criticism or rejection
  • Feeling inadequate, inferior or unattractive
  • Avoidance of work activities that require interpersonal contact
  • Social inhibition, timidity and isolation, especially avoiding new activities or meeting strangers
  • Extreme shyness in social situations and personal relationships
  • Fear of disapproval, embarrassment or ridicule

Kai

Kyungsoo (we all know Kai's boy toy was Kyungsoo even if I didn't say his name XD)

MUNCHKINS!

Um, Naveen is the frog prince incase you didn't know (In the Disney movie, idk about the actual story)

Hope you enjoyed chapter five, please comment, sorry for mistakes, ty to subscribers, love you, and have a good night.