Chapter Six

Comfort Zone

Edited 10/16/14 


For the past two weeks Kibum had been hiding out in his willow kingdom, so it was weird to actually be in the cafeteria. Kibum decided immediately that this was a nope, never again experience. the weird smell, the breathing food, and the kid that nearly hit him in the head with airborne mystery meat. Shuddering at the repulsive atmosphere, Kibum made his way to where the true monstrosity lied.  The Jungle.

The Jungle was what they called the mess hall. Probably because only animals would be brave and-or stupid enough to eat the food. The sanitation was questionable as was half the kitchen staff.

Kibum swallowed his puke on the way to The Jungle.  I just want water. The water should be okay, right? One of the lunch ladies probably spit in the bottle.

Upon finding the cooler containing water, Kibum gave the bottle a close examination. The bottle was sealed; never been opened. Should be fine...

Kibum had to swerve his way to the check-out station because of all the stomped food on the floor. There was no way in hell he was getting that pig slop on the bottom of his shoes. They weren't his favorite pair or anything, but shoes were shoes, and he loved his foot wear.

Giving his money to a sleazy looking lunch lady, Kibum headed out of The Jungle to his secluded tree cave. Well, tried. He never made it quite that far. Before he was half way through the horde of lunatic food throwers he ran into Taemin. Literally.

Kibum whined when he hit the hard floor, his elbow smacking hard against the cold tile. Holy , that hurt. Wait, I'm... oh, God, I'm touching the nasty floor! Great, I probably have an STD now. Taemin, the lucky bastard, managed to stay upright.

"Oh, hell, I'm so sorry, Kibum!"

Getting down next to Kibum, Taemin took his arm into his hands gently. He rubbed Kibum's elbow softly as he tried to sooth the pain.

"Is it bad? Do you need to go to the nurse?"

"No... I just want my water bottle."

"Oh! Um... it's over there."

Taemin reached over Kibum and snatched up the bottle. Standing, he pulled Kibum up with him amd handed over the water.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention."

Taemin continued to hold onto Kibum's elbow. He really didn't know what Taemin thought was helpful about that.

"It's fine. Could you let me go so I can leave?"

Taemin's grip tightened.

"Kibum... I'm really sorry."

"Taemin, I know, it's not that big a deal."

Taemin looked away and frowned.

"No, I mean... I'm sorry for trying to force my way into your life the way I did. You needed patience and I didn't really give you that... I... would like you to be my best friend, but I guess it's stupid to ask you to start there. I wanna try again, but not by wrecking the streets a Seoul."

Kibum took in the way Taemin bit his lip and refused to look in his eyes. He looked nervous, afraid of rejection. The bangs of his long hair worked to hide his face from Kibum.

"Ya know, you don't need to use me as a substitute. I'm pretty positive that Kai misses you an awful lot."

Taemin just shook his head.

"You're not his substitute. Kai and I were really good friends before, but Kyungsoo got in the way of that. Not on purpose, but he did.  Kai didn't need me all those months he ignored me for Kyungsoo, so I know he doesn't need me now."

"I suppose I understand that."

Finally looking up at Kibum, Taemin gave him a big, beautiful smile.

"Just hang out with me during school. We can start there. You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to. You don't even have to talk; you can just listen to my ramblings while thinking about how stupid I sound."

Contemplating Taemin's offer, Kibum had to admit it was appealing. It wasn't often someone figured out the proper way to go about befriending Kibum. All he was basically asking for was Kibum to sit next to him.

"Well... um... I guess I could."

Elated, Taemin locked arms with Kibum and led him to a lunch table. Onew and Minho were there. Kibum didn't know where Jonghyun was, but maybe it was better he didn't see him. He scared Kibum, in a way.

"Guys, look who I brought!"

Onew cocked an eyebrow as Taemin sat next to Minho, pulling Key down on his other side. "Oh? How did you manage that? I thought you, le frog, and -for-brains scared him off."

Taemin stuck his tongue out at Onew.

"He agreed to hang out with me so long as I didn't push him to do anything. He's my sittin' buddy."

Minho fidgeted around next to Taemin.

"Kibum said he didn't hate me, so could you love me again?"

Taemin snorted. "Aw, does Minho feel neglected?"

"You haven't talked to me at all before right now since I yelled at Kibum..."

Cooing, Taemin wrapped his arms around Minho's neck. "That's so cute, you missed me! By the way, it wasn't because of Kibum per say. I asked you for banana milk right after that incident and you told me no. That's why I've been ignoring you. Now I see banana milk I'll be taking next to your tray, so you're forgiven."

Onew gave them a disgusted look. "Dear lord, would you guys just date already?  You're already in that gross, lovey dovey stage."

"Excuse me," Taemin said, "we have been in the lovey dovey stage for two years. Get with the program, Onew hyung."

Onew just rolled his eyes. Kibum was slightly confused. They most definitely liked each other, and yet they weren't in a relationship.

"I can tell you guys like each other, so why aren't you going out?" Kibum asked quietly.

"Oh, because Minho's a dense who still doesn't know if I really like him like everyone says I do."

"Well, do you?" Minho asked.

"Ha, maybe I do, maybe I don't. Anyway, he's never had the balls to take the plunge and ask me out, so, yeah, that would be why. His wad parents may also be über religious, and would cut off his if they ever caught him with me. I'm gay, if we ever get together, I'm gonna want that."

Kibum nodded and looked at the grey lunch table. His parents didn't care for it either, but it wasn't why they hated him. Myungsoo had a boyfriend. It was funny because he didn't think Kibum knew about Sungyeol. Oh, he knew, he was just respectful enough to wait until Myungsoo was ready to tell him to reveal that little tid bit.

Kibum found out six months ago when he was waiting up for Myungsoo. He came home at two in the morning with some guy Kibum had never seen before. Kibum thought it was just a friend till he witnessed the first fifteen seconds of a rather heated make out session.  It took five seconds to figure out the situation, five seconds to get over the shock, and another five seconds to decide he would rather not watch. Kibum had noticed since then that Myungsoo would come home late every Friday night with Sungyeol. He found out the boy's name when he heard Myungsoo say it through his open window. Totally nothen' creepy about that. Myungsoo should have kept his damn voice down.

Keeping true to his word, Taemin said random without expecting Kibum to reply back. Minho kept trying to pry an actual answer from Taemin to which Taemin said, "I plead the fifth," whatever the hell that meant.

Kibum soon found himself ignoring Taemin and slipping off to that half dead state he was always in during history. He was jolted back to consciousness when sharp fingernails dug into his shoulder. Wow, okay, um, ow. Do I need to cut a ?

Turning his head, Kibum was met with a very pissed off looking girl. He didn't know who she was or why she looked so ticked off at him. If Kibum had to infer, though, it would because he did his make-up better than she did.

Bored and not impressed with her prissy vibe, Kibum stared at her with the least amount of interest possible.

"May I help you?"

"My name is Shin Sekyung."

Kibum waited for her to say more but she didn't. She stood there and stared like he was supposed to come to some revelation.

"Is that name supposed to mean something to me? I don't know what your damage is, girl, but spit it the out. I don't have the attention span for pointless chatter with ticked off heifers."

Kibum heard Taemin go, "Ohhhhhh, you just got told, betch," in the background.

Sekyung growled at Kibum. Oh, I'm quaking in slacks. Bring it, ho.

"You don't know who you're speaking to, you piece of ."

Kibum laughed without humor. "Let me give it a whirl. You're the school's pretty girl that every straight guy wants to have and every self-conscious girl wants to be. You're probably from an upper class family that spoils you to make up for all the time they aren't there. You think you're better than everyone else just because you have more, more that is entirely credited to your parents, and you make sure people know it. Even though you have almost everything, you think you deserve more, and you're willing to break down anything standing in your way, which is where I believe I come into you're sad little story. Did I miss something?"

Sekyung stood there with agape and ready for any passing flies. The whole lunch room had gone silent over the bashing Kibum had just served to the stricken girl. No one talked to her that way.

"H-How dare you?"

"No," Kibum said standing. "How dare you. How dare you walk up to me like your something and try to lay down the law. It's time for a reality check, sweetheart. It's a big world, and you a very, very small insignificant part of it. If you disappear today, the world won't stop spinning tomorrow. I don't know what you want but don't think you can come over here and act superior to me. Why don't you make like a tree and leave."

Whole body shaking, breath slightly labored, Sekyung looked ready to pounce.

"Stay away from Jonghyun," she hissed.

Jesus Christ, that was what this was about? Jonghyun? Of course, the one time someone besides they like him they have a crazy that thinks she's laid claim. Oh, hell, I'm going to have to watch out for this . She's going to try and up my life, I just known it.

Rubbing his temples, Kibum looked at her blankly. "You walked your over here... to tell me to stay away from the dinodog? Alright, , I'm going to let you in on a little something. I don't like Jonghyun, not in the way he likes me. Also, if you think he'll run to you just because you get rid of me, then you really are something else. If anything, he'll hate you for driving all his potential love interests away. Now get the out of my face. I lost interest in the conversation after my name is Shin Sekyung."

Kibum's table was dying of laughter in the otherwise silent room. Taemin fumbled over his words as he tried to speak through violent chortling fits.

"Haha, you got so pwned! Aha, you better leave before he embarrasses you some more!"

Sekyung looked ready to scream as she ran from the lunch room. Kibum pursed his lips as he watched her flee. As much as he wanted it to be, it wasn't over. Kibum could feel it. That 'll be back.

Clapping Kibum's back, Taemin grinned at him. "'Bout time someone put that in her place. She thinks she runs this school just because she has the administration in her back pocket. Do you know how creepy you looked? You didn't even look mad, your eyes were just dead."

Kibum hummed in response.

"I think its funny how, even with your issues, you're one of the most amazing people here."

Kibum looked at Taemin weirdly. "What?"

Taemin giggled, "Anyone who isn't afraid to tell people how it is in this school is amazing. There aren't many, sadly."

"Oh, um... okay?"

Taemin rolled his eyes. "Don't give me that face, I just complimented you. Now, lets get out of here. Everyone is staring at you like you murdered a queen."


Kibum was pressed against the wall pretending to be a spy. His brother was on the house phone in what appeared to be a hush hush conversation. Oh, that bastard is so talking to Sungyeol. Should I just ignore it?... Nahhhhh.

Creeping away from the kitchen and into the living room, Kibum grabbed the second house phone. Clicking the answer button, Kibum brought the phone to his ear. The great thing about land lines was that you could listen in on someone's conversation if you had more than one phone. Kibum could talk to them if he wanted to blow his cover.

"Sungyeol, I don't think that's a good idea," Myungsoo said. Ha, he has no idea I'm here.

"Why not?" Another voice said. "There's plenty of room for you both."

"I haven't even told him you exist yet! He's not going to trust you, how could I ask him to live with you?"

"So what if he doesn't trust me on the get-go? I read up on his disorders, I think I can work with him. And you'll be there to help me with him! We could end up being, like, the best of friends for all you know. Maybe he could have two brothers supporting him instead of just one."

"I don't think now's a good time..."

"Well, when will it be? We've been dating for five years, Myungsoo! Your brother is going to find out eventually."

Kibum caught a gasp before it escaped his throat. Five years? How the hell did Myungsoo hide that for five years.? How old was he five years ago? Uh... he'd have been my age. Wait, this happened when I was twelve?! Damn, I'm stupid.

"If he doesn't like you then everything will shoot to hell! I love you, but he needs me more than you ever will, and you know that! If something bad happens... then I'm going to lose you, and I don't want that." Myungsoo's voice cracked when he said that last part.

Kibum felt more and more sick as he listened. Myungsoo just told Sungyeol, hid boyfriend of five damn years, that if his little brother rejected him then they were done. I knew it. I knew I was preventing him from living his life.

"Well, nice to know where I stand," Sungyeol spat.

"Don't be like that," Myungsoo pleaded. "I told you a long time ago that I would give up everything for him. Even you."

"I know... it doesn't mean it hurts any less to hear it now than it did then."

And here's where the fine line between being a good and bad little brother stood. Kibum didn't want Myungsoo to know that he knew. He also didn't want Myungsoo and Sungyeol to split because of him. If he just talked to Myungsoo he could fix this. Well, if Myungsoo didn't get pissed at him for eavesdropping.

Kibum held back a groan of frustration. He wanted to wait till Myungsoo was ready to come clean, but he was afraid that it may be too late by then. Kibum was also just a tad bit pissed at his brother, and he wanted to let him know. Oh, , please let this turn out okay. Gathering up his courage, Kibum finally spoke.

"Myungsoo," he said into the phone softly. "I think we need to talk."

"Who the hell was that?" Sungyeol asked.

There was a long pause before Myungsoo said, "I need to go, Sungyeol."

"Is that your brother?"

"Mhmm, and Myungsoo and I need to have a little chat, Sungyeol. He'll call you back," Kibum said before hanging up. Dropping then phone back on the console, Kibum waited for Myungsoo on the couch.

"Kibum, what the hell was that?" Myungsoo stormed into the room with fire blazing in his eyes. Even Myungsoo had the ability to be angry with Kibum.

"I could ask you the same thing!" Kibum shot back.

"Okay, maybe I should have told you, but that doesn't mean you can -"

"I've known for six months, Myungsoo! That isn't what this is about."

Myungsoo turned pale. "Y-You knew? How?!"

"That doesn't matter right now! How could you say that you'd throw your life away for me? Do you think you're doing me a favor? Well, you're not!" 

Myungsoo couldn't form words as his brother raged.

"All you did was confirm my fears of ing up your life! You can't let me get in the way of what you want. It just makes me feel like !"

Tears began to streak down Kibum's face. Rubbing at his eyes harshly, he continued.

"You deserve the world, but you're trying to give it to me! You can't... do that. You shouldn't have to feel like you need to hide to keep me happy. Do you want to live with Sungyeol? We can go there. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. I know I'm not okay, but... I'll be fine."

Kibum looked at the carpet and watched his tears fall to the floor. It wasn't fair for either of them.

Reaching for his sobbing cub, Myungsoo folded Kibum up in his arms. "Shh, please don't cry. I didn't know that's how you felt. I'm sorry."

"You shouldn't have to be," Kibum cried into Myungsoo's neck. "You shouldn't have to say sorry for anything."

Kibum snuggled into Myungsoo who kissed the top of his head. Myungsoo started to sing like he always did when Kibum cried. Myungsoo's voice was sweet and soothing. Thank God umma and appa are gone otherwise this would be embarrassing.

"Kibum, would you... like to meet Sungyeol?"

Kibum sniffed and nodded. "Yeah. You've only been dating him for five ing years."

Chuckling, Myungsoo ruffled Kibum's hair. "Okay, we'll go to where he works. I still don't want our parents to find out about him, they'd be about it."

"He called you at work?"

"He works at a coffee shop, and it's Tuesday afternoon. They aren't busy by any means."

Kibum was restless the whole way to the coffee shop. He was actually meeting Myungsoo's lover. Kibum doesn't even recall the last time he's seen one of Myungsoo's friends. Did he have friends? No, he was too attractive to not have friends...

Kibum battled with his seatbelt when they got to the coffee shop. Stupid er, I am meeting my brother's boo, let me go!

He followed behind Myungsoo as they entered the shop. It was a cute place with beanbags, small over-stuffed couches, and paintings covering the walls. There was also nobody to be seen. 

"Well, where is he?"

"Probably in the back, wait here."

Myungsoo pushed past a door with a sign that said employees only. Kibum was pretty sure Myungsoo did not work there. Hyung, aren't you just the little rebel?

When Myungsoo came back out he was accompanied by not one but six other people. Only one was wearing a work uniform, so he assumed that was Sungyeol. Who are all these other people?

"It is about Goddamn time he let us meet you! I was beginning to doubt you were real," a boy with pretty eyes and a square chin said.

"Guys, he's supposed to be meeting Sungyeol, not your es!"

"Psh," another scoffed. "Ashamed of us? He's going to meet us eventually, may as well make it now."

"I'd rather it be later, I don't want you dip s scaring him!"

"Aw, we'll be on our best behavior," the one with the pretty eyes said

"Don't lie to me, Sungjong. Get the out, you animals. I'll let you meet him later."

After a fair amount of complaining, Myungsoo managed to shove his Neanderthals out of the coffee shop. Sungjong made sure to give him the mighty middle finger before racing off down the street with the others to go blow things up.

To say things were awkward would be an understatement. Sungyeol was fixated on the ends of his sleeves, and Myungsoo was just standing there dumbly. Jesus, and I'm supposedly the one with the social problems.

"So," Kibum started. "Sungyeol, right?"

"O-Oh! U-Um, yes. It's nice to meet you," Sungyeol stuttered.

Kibum looked Sungyeol up and down. Sungyeol was a bit taller than him and, though still thin, definitely more muscular. He had short cropped brown hair, square shaped glasses, big eyes, small but plump lips, and full cheeks. He was pretty cute in a dorky sort of way.

"Alright, so are we living with him or not, Myungsoo?"

"What?" They asked simultaneously.

"Well, we have to go somewhere... and I guess he looks nice, so why not?"

"Yeah, why not? I look nice," Sungyeol said with a stupid smile.

"But you guys don't know each other that well, Kibum."

"I'd take your nerd over umma and appa any day."

"Well... we could if you're okay wi -"

Myungsoo was cut off when Sungyeol glomped him. Myungsoo was lifted clear off the ground and spun in circles. Yeah, that dork has some muscle.

"Put me down, put me down, put me down!"

Huh. Kibum was feeling a major sense of Deja vu. If he remembered correctly, a certain froggy bastard put him in a similar situation.

"Well someone's happy," Kibum said.

When Sungyeol set Myungsoo down he stumbled. He was so freakin' dizzy.

"He's been asking me to move in with him for two years, so, yeah, he's probably pretty happy."

"Two years? Damn, you've been holding out Myungsoo.

"Yah, shut the up, Kibum."

Kibum watched Sungyeol and Myungsoo around for a while. They looked so perfect together. Their body's curves fit together, Sungyeol's long fingers wrapped just right around Myungsoo's. All the sweetness was going to rot Kibum's teeth.

"Myungsoo, it's getting late," Kibum stated as he glanced at the clock hanging on the wall.

"Oh," Myungsoo said as he slapped Sungyeol's playful hands away. "Yeah, we should probably go."

"When are you guy's going to move in?"

"Well, I have to get boxes and then we have to pack. I also have to go to Kibum's school to change the guardian information, so probably this weekend."

Sungyeol smiled and pecked Myungsoo on the lips. "Okay. I'll come over and help. Bye guys. Saranghae, Myungsoo."

"Saranghae, Sungyeol," he said back.

When Kibum and Myungsoo got in the car Kibum began to snicker.

"The hell are you laughing about?"

"Saranghae, Sungyeol," Kibum mocked.

"Go to hell."

"Hyung, I've never seen you blush so much! Your cheeks have been red since we got here!"

"What part of go to hell did you misunderstand?"

"Come on, ya know you adore me."

Myungsoo shook his head as he pulled out of the lot. "So... what did you think?"

"Of what?"

"Sungyeol."

"Oh, he's okay. I'll get used to him."

"Just okay?"

Kibum snorted. "That is the up most praise coming from me on day one! You better watch out though, you're the uke."

Myungsoo scrunched his nose up. "The what?"

"The uke! It's a Japanese word. It's the submissive one. The dominated! The bottom."

Myungsoo's mouth dropped as he stared at Kibum with his peripheral vision.

"Okay, not that I haven't already established that, if you get my drift, but how did you come to that conclusion?"

"He's taller and his fingers are longer."

"Really? That's it? I can think of plenty of people shorter than you that would top you."

"Well, you also sat in his lap, giggled a lot, blushed like there was no tomorrow, and acted like me when I'm drooling over NU'EST."

"You head."

"Ha, saranghae!"

"Would you go to hell now?"


AAANNNDD IN ENTERS THE ! Every story has one. Do you want to know something funny? I don't actually know who Sekyung is, just that she's typically the ho in these stories. She was an easy choice, so I just went with her. Also, when one's gay they're all gay I guess. Myungsoo was supposed to have a girlfriend, but I liked the idea of him being with Sungyeol better XD Now time for new character pictures.

Sungyeol

Sekyung (dude, so many y photos)... She doesn't look like a , maybe she's nice XD

I didn't really address Myungoo's friends, but I'm going to put them down anyway. I mean, they're going to come in later, so why not?

Sungjong

Sunggyu (so many ing sungs!)

Dongwoo (pink hair, totally)

Hoya

Woohyun

I think that was everyone...

So, time for some explanations! I'm only putting these because I profile stalked some of you guys, and you might not know what I mean based off of where you live. I also made a purposeful error, and something looks wrong even though it isn't.

For those of you not familiar with the U.S. Constitution, It has twenty-four amendments. The Fifth Amendment states that you do not have to say anything that is incriminating to one's self. Basically, you don't have to say anything you don't want to. In court, when they ask you a question you don't want to answer, you might say, "I plead the fifth." So, Taemin meant he wasn't saying .

Um, I put betch on purpose, just sayin'.

I have the word pwned in there. I thought it was spelled poned, but apparently not. I didn't up with the w.

I think that was it, might not have been. Pretty sure though...

Okay, I'm done rambling about you may not care about. Please leave a comment, sorry for mistakes, and thank you :) Chapter seven will be up eventually. Jonghyun should be in that chapter, but don't get your hopes up for romance because Jonghyun is actually in it up right now, in case you couldn't tell. Lmao, love you lots. Bye-bye :D