Chapter Four

Comfort Zone

Edited 10/16/14 


Kibum should have known that it wasn't going to be that easy. Two days and he's already made four new friends when he hadn't had more than two in the past three years? Bull. His PPD wouldn't allow any of that.

Stoic but agitated, Kibum sat away from the other boys at the police station. All he could think was that he should have known. He should have seen it coming. Who in their right mind would want to be his friend?

Sliding up, Taemin tossed an arm over Kibum's shoulder. "Hey Mr. Grumpy Face, lighten up! It's not the first time we've been here. Last time it was for minors in possession. The was nasty, so not worth the jail visitor or the grounding."

Shouldering him away, Kibum hissed, "You did this on purpose."

Taemin's eyebrows scrunched on his forehead. "What are you talking about?"

"This!" Kibum shrieked. "You thought it would be so ing funny, didn't you? Dicking around with me, seeing what you could make me do with all that about being best friends. Now I'm in a Goddamn police station and it's all your fault!"

Shocked to silence, Taemin gaped at Kibum. Minho was quick to come to his defense, pulling Taemin protectively against his chest. "Hey, watch it, Kibum. He was trying to be nice."

"Nice? Oh, you were just trying to be nice. Well, news flash boys, your "being nice" just got me into a load of trouble!"

"Hey!" Jonghyun jumped in. "You didn't have to come! Don't blame Taemin's stupidity for your own!"

Hand curling into a fist, Kibum got ready to sock Jonghyun in the jaw. He'd do it. He would mess up more nail polish just for the satisfaction of punching someone in the face.

"Guys, please stop," Onew said softly. He was ignored.

"Psh, whatever. I guess this is what we get for trying to befriend a mental -face," Minho spat

Everybody froze after that, including Minho. It was one of those situations where all you wanted to do was grab onto your words and shove them back into your mouth. You wanted so badly to take it back because you knew that everything was over if you couldn't.

"You... knew? Oh my God, and you were even cruel enough to go there?"

"Kibum," Taemin said gently, "I swear, I didn't mean to get you in trouble, okay? Can't we just let it go? We can -"

"Let it go? Easy for you to say! When my parents get here, their going to -"

"KIM KIBUM, GET YOUR SORRY OUT HERE!"

Kibum flinched and backed away from the door. Oh, it's going to be a rough night.

Barging through the door, guns blazing, his parents zeroed in on him immediately. Myungsoo followed close behind, trying to calm the storm.

"Please, settle down, he's only seventeen! I did stupid too!"

Myungsoo grabbed their appa's arm but that did nothing to stop their oh-so-very pissed umma. Right there, before everyone, Kibum's umma slapped him across the cheek. Kibum reared back from the shock more than anything, running into the wall behind him. She might have done it again had Myungsoo not pushed in front of Kibum to shield him.

"Don't you dare touch him!"

Kibum clutched at Myungsoo's back, close to tears. They're ing insane! All I did was make a ton of noise.

"Move, Myungsoo. Your umma and I don't need your intervention," their appa growled.

"Ha, um, no, thank you. You wanna hit someone? Fine. Hit me. You touch him again, I swear to God, I will kick your right here in this police station!"

Their appa just scoffed and reached behind Myungsoo, grabbing for Kibum. Oh, hell no, get the away, Satan!

Kibum scooted back as far as he could into the wall. Were they really going to do this? Here, of all places?

As Myungsoo tried to fight off their appa, Kibum was pulled out of the fray. He found himself trapped tightly against Jonghyun's chest, Taemin pressing protectively into his back. They looked more frightened than Kibum did. Kibum almost snarled at being squished between the bastards who got him into that mess. Never the less, he clung to Jonghyun as if all life depended on it.

The police, finally having the decency to respond to the commotion, came in to find out what all the fuss was over. They managed to get Kibum's parents to chill the out for the time being and just in time too. The other boys' parents arrived, and the situation was already embarrassing as hell.

Turns out Taemin was right about Minho's parents balls. They came in just as furious as Kibum's had and dragged Minho out by a fistful of his dark hair. The other parents handled the situation with much more level heads.

Now Kibum sat in the corner with Jonghyun, the only one remaining of the four other boys. Kibum didn't know what was taking so freaking long.

"Ya know, we really weren't trying to get you in trouble," Jonghyun said softly. "We just wanted to be your friend. Especially Taemin. He's probably crying about how he ruined your life right about now."

Pulling his knees tight against his chest, Kibum buried his face in his knees. "Just leave me alone," he mumbled.

"Chin up, it could have been worse."

"Go away, Jonghyun-ssi."

"Oh, breaking out the honorifics now? I will tickle you if you don't cheer up."

"I'm not ticklish."

"Really? I'll kiss you then.

"No, you won't."

"Oh, yeah? Wanna bet?"

"Go...the......away."

He should have listened. If he had then a very big, very wet kiss would not have been applied to the exposed part of his neck.

Kibum lifted his head slowly and stared at the wall on the far side of the room. "You kissed my neck," he said in a monotonous voice.

Jonghyun chuckled. "That I did. Feel better?"

"You... left slobber on my neck. Like a dog."

Smiling, Jonghyun wiped at Kibum's neck with his sleeve. "I bet you loved it."

"Nope. Go away. My parents will have my balls if they catch you doing that. They don't exactly approve of my uality.

Jonghyun snorted. "Tell them to kiss your sweet ."

"So Taemin wasn't lying when he said you were looking at it."

Jonghyun grinned sheepishly. "Uh, yeah. Couldn't help it."

"I hate you," Kibum said, standing to leave.

"Nooooo, baby, come back," Jonghyun laughed as he pulled Kibum down into his lap. Kibum was too tired to fight him off.

"Let me go."

"Nope, I quite like you here." Jonghyun had a vice grip around Kibum's waist, hugging him close.

"Jonghyun, Myungsoo hyung will have your head on a pike. He's worse than a father on his little girl's first date."

"He is, so I suggest you let his little cub go." Myungsoo was in the door glaring at Jonghyun. If looks could kill...

"Our love will prevail!" Jonghyun declared loudly.

"Like hell it will, give me my baby."

Pouting, Jonghyun pressed his lips against Kibum's cheek before releasing him. "See you tomorrow, sweetheart!"

Kibum rolled his eyes as he pushed up from Jonghyun's lap. "Go yourself, dinodog."

Jonghyun smirked as he waved goodbye. Kibum just ignored him.

"What took so long?" Kibum asked as they left the room. Myungsoo sighed draping his arm over Kibum's shoulders.  "I was talking to umma and appa."

"About what?"

Biting his lip, Myungsoo hesitated before speaking. "They were... talking about sending you to a disciplinary institution."

"For yelling stupid while speeding down a street?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

"Like, a hard core place where all the druggies and wanna be gangsters go?"

"Probably."

"But I'll get ."

"Yes, I know, but they don't seem to get that you're jail bait."

"They're sending me to jail?!"

"What? No, that isn't what I meant!"

They were silent after that, not speaking till they got to the lobby. They bid the receptionist a good day before heading out to the parking lot.

"Where are umma and appa?"

"At home. I came in my car."

"That's probably better for my health."

They were about half way home before Kibum spoke again. It was a bit hard to process that his parents wanted to send him to a boot camp. He knew they didn't really like him, but did they really detest him so much?

"Does this mean I'm being sent away?

Myungsoo shook his head fiercely. "No. I won't let them. "

Kibum stared at his fingers, knotting and unknotting them. "What can you really do? If they want me gone, they won't listen to you."

"... I'm going to ask them for custody."

Kibum's head shot up. "Huh? Of me?"

Myungsoo nodded. "I don't think they'll care where you go as long as you're gone. I don't have a standing case in court, but if they give you up willingly I'll be able to take you away from them."

"Really?" Kibum asked hopefully.

Myungsoo smiled at him. "Really, really."

It was probably a girly way to respond to the glorious news, but Kibum didn't care. He painted his nails, wore eyeliner, and had a secret pair of paints that had corset lacing from the ends of the legs all the way up to where the pants rested snuggly around his hips.  He was past girly.

Bending over, he gave Myungsoo a big kiss on his cheek and hugged him around his neck. "Thank you."

"Not that I don't appreciate the love, but I'm trying to drive."

"Saranghae," Kibum smiled.

"Yeah, yeah, saranghae. Get off before I crash.


Kibum was not looking forward to today. He didn't want to see any of the boys. He could try to avoid them, but they were like ing wolves. If he hid, they would easily hunt him down, day one being a prime example.

Slinking around, eyeing the halls carefully, Kibum made his way slowly to his first period. If they're smart, they'll leave me be for now. Oh, who am I kidding, they're certified es.

Making it safely to his math class, Kibum peeked into the room. No sign of any of them. Relieved, Kibum made his way over to his desk.  He pulled out his neglected sketchbook and began to draw. Today's picture goes out to the wolves ruining my life.

Kibum ran the pencil in his signature messy lines. The shading was practically scribbles and there were a few lines just sticking from the wolf for no particular reason.  Kibum finished the wolf off with a smirk for a mouth. It matched those bastards perfectly. He wondered if they would try and talk to him or if they decided not to mess with the quote "mental -face".

"K-Kibum hyung?"

Speak of the damn devil. Kibum stared at his drawing for a few moments before looking up at Taemin. The others didn't appear to be around.

"Ne?" Kibum made his voice as dull as possible. Well, it was more like he just didn't put effort into sounding interested.

"I... I like your drawing."

"Cut the crap. What do you want?"

Shifting nervously, Taemin looked at the carpeted floor. "I'm really sorry about yesterday. I didn't mean for it to happen."

Kibum exhaled audibly before pinching the bridge of his nose. "I know. I figured that out after a long as talk with Pie last night. Don't... ask. Anyway, I was just being sensitive."

"So you're not mad?" Taemin looked so relieved. Too bad it was short lived.

"Taemin, that doesn't make things alright. We shouldn't be friends.  I'm better than most with my issues, but that doesn't make me okay. I'm always going to be like this."

"That's fine! It's not your fault. I was telling the truth when I said I was going to try."

Now Kibum was getting angry. "Don't you understand? It's hard for me to hold up relationships of any kind. I'm lucky I feel so comfortable around Myungsoo!"

Shoulders slouching, Taemin gave Kibum an almost pleading look. "We can work on it! I'm incredibly passive, I can handle it."

"And what about the others? You guys knew and Minho was still quick to jump on my the moment my mind got the better of me."

"He's just protective of me, he didn't mean it. He feels like a sack of dog for it."

Frustrated, Kibum turned away from Taemin. "Dude, your sweet for trying, but it isn't going to work. Just go."

Taemin puffed his cheeks and shuffled closer. Ho, the door is that-a-way.

"We just need to give you time to trust us. We can do it, it shouldn't -"

"Goddammit, Taemin!" Kibum banged his fists against the table top. "It may have been rude of Minho to call me mental but it's still basically true! I have no handle over my emotions, my brain is off kilter, and no one should have to put up with it! Even if he's never complained, I wonder more often than not if Myungsoo ever feels held back because of me. I don't need, nor do I want to feel that way about anyone else!"

Taemin went silent, once again looking at the floor as if it held the answer. It was do or die time. If he didn't do something to fix this now then he'd never be able to.

Not knowing what else he could do, Taemin embraced Kibum loosely around his neck and rested his cheek on top of his head. "Alright. I'll bite. You don't have to be my friend but I'm still going to be yours. Your best friend, so don't think I'm giving up on you so easily. I wouldn't be any better than your crotchety parents if I did."  With a final firm squeeze, Taemin let go and left. Aish, I think my heart swelled a bit after hearing that. Stupid boy, why does he like me so much?

Kibum was left alone until lunch period. Minho had tried talking to him at the end of math but Kibum high tailed it out of there. He hadn't seen any of them since.

Kibum was laying beneath the willow he had been under with Taemin yesterday. It felt secluded even though he could see slivers of people through the gaps of the branches. Feeling at peace, Kibum found himself drifting off into Neverland.

Kibum was left undisturbed for a good fifteen minutes before someone dared to venture forth into his nature-made cocoon. They stared at Kibum's sleeping form for a second before prodding him the side with their shoe.

"Go away or face the wrath of the Almighty Kibum."

"Dude, you're small enough to punt over the school gates, I think I'll take my chances."

What's this? A new voice? Damn, why did everyone want to talk to him?

Cracking his eyes, Kibum stared at the oh-so-able man who had ed up his happiness. He was a broad-shouldered, full lipped boy with cat eyes like Kibum's. Huh, must be family.

"The hell are you and why have you stormed my castle?" Kibum slurred.

"Lee Joon. I have come to deliver a message. You're Kibum, right?"

Oh. Ohhh, so this was Joon? Damn, Onew sure knew how to pick 'em. He was one fine piece of . Remembering a story told to him recently, Kibum giggled.

"Is... that a yes?"

"Oh, yeah. Just thought of a story about invading showers and blushing tofu-boys."

Joon snorted and scratched his head. "Yeah, that was scary. Not why I came, though. I'm supposed to tell you sorry for Minho because you won't talk to him."

"Apology noted. Are we done?"

Joon seemed slightly taken aback. "I guess. Nothing to say back?" 

Kibum rolled away from Joon and curled up fetal position on the ground. "I said apology noted. Now go play with Onew, he'd much rather talk to you than I would."

Kibum zoned Joon out and went back to trying to sleep. He nearly flipped when he felt a foot tap his side again. "Joon, I swear upon all that I love, if you don't ing leave -"

"Joon? Was Joon here?"

Noooo, Joon, come back! Kibum groaned and tossed an arm over his eyes. Why you ruin my life, Jonghyun?

"Come on foxy, don't sound like that. You know you love me."

Kibum opted to ignore him and curled up tighter. If I can't see him, he can't see me.

"Kibum. Kibummieeeeeee. I'm going to you if you don't talk to me."

"What?" Kibum whined.

Kibum felt Jonghyun move down beside him. Grabbing him under the arms, Jonghyun pulled Kibum up into his lap. I would much rather be on the ground, thank you.

"You made little Taeminnie sad, you know that?"

"You're making little Kibummie uncomfortable, you know that?"

"Aw, I'm just being cuddly."

"You're being clingy. Did you want somethin'? I think I made it pretty clear that I'm done with the friend thing."

Jonghyun laughed at him. "No you're not. I don't need anything, really. Just trying to whoo you."

Kibum raised an eyebrow. "Whoo me? My hyung told me I'm not allowed to date dinosaurs."

"Well, he can my ."

"Jonghyun, this isn't Cinderella. There's not going to be any sweeping me off my feet after two minutes dancing. You don't know me."

"I know you like to draw and that your parents ."

"That's not enough to constitute a relationship."

Wiggling out of Jonghyun's grasp, Kibum stood up. He brushed of his uniform and straightened his tie. "Jonghyun, one of the possible symptoms of PPD is always thinking that your partner is unfaithful even if you don't have a reason. I don't know if I'm like that, but do you really want to find out?"

Jonghyun contemplated that for a second before saying, "Am I weird if I say yes?"

"Desperate maybe."

Reaching down for his stuff, Kibum slung his messenger bag over his shoulder.  He went to leave but was stopped by fingers curling around his wrist. "If I get to know you, how good are my chances?"

Tapping his chin with his free hand, Kibum said, "Hmm. I'd say about fifteen percent -meaning low. Your chances will increase substantially if I ever accept Taemin as my best friend, though."

Jonghyun gave him a perplexed stair. "What does that have to do with this?" 

"Everything. Accepting someone as my friend is the first step. Liking someone is the second. Dating is the third. I can't date if I can't even make friends."

"Shouldn't that mean you need to be my friend?"

"That's a sub-step of step one. I think Taemin deserves to get what he wants before you do."

"Why?"

Kibum pulled his wrist from Jonghyun's hand before turning to look at him. His face was serious but indifferent. "Because out of all of you, he's trying the hardest.  He should get me before the rest of you lot do."

With that, Kibum flipped his hair and pushed past the curtain of branches. He knew playing hard to get was kind of y, but if they wanted him so bad they were going to have to work for it. Getting someone normal to trust you can be tough. Getting Kibum to trust you was going to be a war.


And chapter four is done. I had to actually check and make sure this was chapter four. So, longest chapter so far. It was about 3200 words without this little authors note thing. You don't know how bad I want to write a different story because it has dragons in it and I like dragons. Trying to stick to one story at a time. I can almost guarantee I'm not going to stick to that, but I will try. Anyway, it doesn't say Joonew, but I'm sick of Onew being forever alone. Rabbit deserves love!

And here's Joon. Remember that pole dancing thing? Well, I said he would be one hell of a stripper, and my sister said yup. He'd be getting all duh monnies from all dah hos. I was like that is so freaking true.

Thinking about it, I don't think I'm doing the whole schizoid disorder too well right now, so Imma try and make Kibum a bit more... I guess dull would be the right word. I mean, he has emotions, but I don't think he should show them as much as he is right now, so I'll try to make that change as best I can without making a complete 360 with how he's been acting. Author goal number one for chapter number five.

This is the wolf Kibum drew. (Holy , my page just froze and I thought I just lost, like, the whole freakin chapter. Thank you autosave)

 

That's it for now. Please comment, sorry for mistakes, and I hope this chapter wasn't bull. Goodnight (Or morning, afternoon, evening. Whatever time zone you're in).