Chapter Three

Comfort Zone

Edited 8/10/14 


Dragging his hand down his face, Kibum looked up at the boy now perched on his desk. There was no escape. Kibum may have wanted friends, but that didn't mean he wasn't going to run every opportunity he got. 

"Taemin, what do you want?" 

Said boy smiled. "I want to be your friend. In fact, I want you to be my best friend. My last one left me behind for some owl-eyed boy. Stupid Kai."

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Please? I'll be good. I promise not to dig in the yard, or piss on the carpet." 

"Being friends with me... won't be easy, ya know."

Eyes softening, Taemin said, "I know. That doesn't mean I won't try."

"You won't be able to come to my house. Parents won't allow it."

"Okay."

"I won't be able to go to yours. Also not allowed."

"Your parents are es, aren't they?"

"In a word."

Putting his feet on either side of Kibum's thighs, Taemin leaned in close. "Have you ever," Taemin whispered, "considered flipping them the bird while singing go yourself?" 

Kibum's eyes widened and something caught in his throat. Before he could decipher what it was, laughter bubbled up out of his mouth.

"Oh my God, no one has ever said something like that to me before!"

"You can ing laugh?!"

Wiping tears from his eyes, Kibum offered Taemin the biggest grin he could muster. "I'm not completely stoic, most people are just dull. Now, tell me, Taemin, would you ever say that to your own parents?"

"Ha! Hell nah, but my parents aren't controlling s. Hardly a fair comparison, don't you think? You should ask Minho, though. His parents balls."

With the affects a laughter wearing of, Kibum's smile also dissipated. Damn schizoid personality disorder always making it hard to keep up facial expressions.

"Aw, keep smiling, it looks pretty in you!"

"Sorry, it's uh... habit to look neutral."

Leaning back on his hands, Taemin smirked at Kibum. "So, are we besties now?"

Kibum gave Taemin an incredulous look. "Really? Are you really asking me this now?

Taemin cocked his head in confusion. "What do you mean?"

With zero shame, Kibum poked the juncture between Taemin's legs. "Taemin, you're on my desk, legs on either side of me, crotch displayed for the world. It looks like I should be you off." 

Mouth forming an O, Taemin stared at his very open position. "Well... every new relationship has to start off somewhere, right?" Taemin winked at Kibum with a eating grin adorning his pretty little face.

"It could start with me punching you square in the nads."

"Psh, killjoy."

And, there it was. A perfectly innocent jab that cut into Kibum like a knife. Nothing that small should kick up the reaction it did, but Kibum couldn't help it. 

Taemin was quick to rectify his mistake. Not being complete es, him and the others looked in to what Myungsoo told them. It would prove to be useful.

"Don't get your in a twist, I'm just playing with you. Seriously, though, you've been face to face with my man parts. That makes us best friends."

"Oh, is that how it works?"

"If your gay."

"Are you?"

"Bona fide."

"People don't , I don't know, spit on you and call you a freak?"

"They want to, but Minho and Jonghyun would kick their . They do it when they're gone sometimes."

"Huh. And if I'm not?"

"Honey, don't lie to me. My gay-dar went off the moment I saw you."

"It was the eyeliner, wasn't it?"

"It was the whole damn package. So... friends?"

"I don't know..."

"If it looks to be too much, you could always dump me on my on the side of the road later. Come on, just try."

"You're probably going to regret this."

Squealing, Taemin launched himself at Kibum. His arms wrapped tightly around Kibum's neck in a near choke hold. "T-Taemin, you've got me in a headlock. Taemin, you er, I can't breathe! Holy , I'm dying."

"Shut up and embrace my love, bastard!!!"

Kibum might have just gone along with it if he hadn't noticed the numerous eyes directed his way. Seriously, why couldn't they all be normal and hang out somewhere else during the half hour of free time they had in the morning? 

Pushing at Taemin's shoulders, Kibum stuttered. "G-Get off. People are staring..."

Looking petulant, Taemin released Kibum. "Uhg, fine, but them heads are going to stare at you anyway. Did you know there's a rumor going around about you getting nailed by Jonghyun in the bathroom?"

"Excuse me? First of all, no. Second of all, gross, that's so ing unsanitary. Third of all, hellllllll no!"

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure it sparked from Jonghyun staring at your , which he did do, by the way."

"Jonghyun's gay too?"

"Bi. Dude, none of my friends are one hundred percent straight."

"What? Not even Minho or Onew?"

"Minho's been after my since middle school, and Onew is bi-curious."

"Damn, this school is infested."

"We aren't rats, thank you very much." Kibum turned his head to see Minho behind him. Jonghyun and Onew were there too. 

"Hey, we were just talking about you guys!" Taemin beamed. "All good things, all good things."

"You , I haven't been after your since middle school!"

Taemin blew air out his mouth. "Don't kid yourself, Choi, I have two credible eye witnesses."

"Who, these two bastards? Jonghyun's a and Onew's dangerously obtuse, what makes you think they're credible?"

"Because they were both their when you had that wet dream, froggy."

"Wet dre -? You ers, you promised not to tell!"

Jonghyun barely dodged a fatal punch. "How could I keep something so funny to myself? That's asking a bit too much." 

"Taemin, what makes you say I'm bi-curious?" 

Taemin chortled lowly at Onew's question. "Remember that day we were waiting for Minho to get out of the shower when basketball practice was over a few weeks ago?"

"Um... yes. It was the team's last summer practice."

"And remember how I stormed the shower room because he was taking too long?"

"Yeah, you scared the out of everyone in the shower."

"Oh, good times. Anyway, I specifically remember pulling you with me, 'cause I'm a like that, and you nearly losing your mind because one Lee Joon was showering in all of his glory."

"... Alright, asswipe, you can shut up now."

"Oh, Onew," Taemin gushed. "You're blushing! How adorable!"

"I do not like Joon!"

"Tell that to my delicious , chicken boy!" 

Kibum rubbed at his temples feeling a headache creeping up. I take it back, I don't want anything to do with this prick, no matter how delicious his is. Kibum couldn't deny that Taemin did have a nice behind.

"So, Kibum, we friends or what?" Jonghyun asked.

"Back the off, Kim, I have already laid claim."

"Screw you, Tae, since when?"

"Since him and my lower regions got aquainted!"

"The ?!" Both Jonghyun and Minho yelled.

"Calm your , he just poked my crotch because it was all up in his vision."

"He touched your junk?" Minho grated.

"My pants, if you want to be specific. Anyway, mine! Get your own Kibum!"

"You wanna go, er? Let's go!" Jonghyun hooked Taemin around the waist, pulling him off the desk. "I will end you!"

Suddenly, and effectively saving Taemin, the five minute bell rang. Or was that the minute bell? Tarty bell? 

Checking the clock, the boys noticed it was 7:25. Oooo, the tardy bell.

"Ha, you es are lateeeee!" Minho cackled.

"God dammit, my science teacher already hates my guts."

"What'd you do, Tae?"

"Let the frogs loose."

"Frogs?"

"Yeah, there's a big tank of them. Well... was a big tank of them. Now their free! And I have detention for the rest of the week starting today."

"You ."


"If you could be anything in the world, what would you be?"

Taemin and Kibum were sitting in the court yard under a low hanging willow. The branches touched the ground creating a vine like veil over the two boys. 

Taemin had his head in Kibum's lap, eyes closed, when he asked the question. Anything in the world? There were so many things.

"A painting of flowers."

"Oh? You wouldn't want to be real flowers?

"No. Those are only temporary."

"Isn't there something beautiful about that?"

"Sure. But there also something beautiful about one specific moment being captured in time."

"Hmm. Deep. I would be Jonghyun's oxygen supply."

"What?"

Smiling maliciously, Taemin said, "I would be his oxygen. That way I  could suffocate him if he pissed me off."

"Evil bastard."

Stretching, Taemin sat up. "I have a great idea."

"Does is pertain to me?"

"Uh, duh."

Great. It probably had something to do with freeing the animals at the zoo. Why stop at frogs?

"Well, what is it?"

"You, me, those other three bastards, blow horns, and a fast car. How about it?"

"Taemin, I'm not allowed to go anywhere without supervision."

"Um, you'll have three very trustworthy supervisors. And a dog."

Rolling his eyes, Kibum shot Taemin his icy stare. "Taemin, I mean I have to be with one of three people: umma, appa, or Myungsoo."

"Kibum have you never thought of breaking the rules?"

"My life is easier if I don't."

"And is that what you want? To roll over for your parents just because it's easier."

"I can guaran-damn-tee I'll get the beat out of me."

"Hey, no pain, no gain."

"Don't you have detention?"

"It's called skipping, sweetheart. I'm going to do it whether you agree to go or not."

Weighing the pros and cons, Kibum considered the options carefully. On one hand, he would get live if he just went home. On the other hand, it wouldn't feel like he was living at all. Oh, God, I can't believe I'm doing this.

"Fine. But we'll have to sneak past Myungsoo. He would never let me voluntarily tick off my parents if preventable."

Laughing, Taemin clapped his hands together. "Excellent. 'Scuse me while I text the others the details."

"Where even are they? I figured they'd still be trailing me."

"I don't know, probably taking Onew to the nurse for face planting into a door."


"You think Myungsoo saw us?" Jonghyun wondered aloud. 

"I wouldn't be here is he did, you ."

Kibum sat between Jonghyun and Taemin in the back of Minho's car. He was surprised to find that the car already contained air horns. Apparently they did this often.

"So... we're going to stick these horns out the windows and blow off peoples' eardrums while screaming like banshees? That the gist of it?"

Jonghyun grinned. "Precisely, Foxy Loxy."

"You all are stupid. I'm down."

Once in the middle of town, the windows went down and the their obnoxious voices went up.  Kibum questioned the weird that came out of their mouths.

"I'm a free man!" Taemin shouted over his blaring air horn.

"Chicken fo-eva, es!"

"I am Jonghyun, hear me roar!"

The car raced down as they created general public unrest. People did not look happy. 

"Minho, roll down the sunroof." 

"You do it, Jonghyun, the button is right ing there."

Mumbling something about dickheads, Jonghyun pressed the sunroof button. "Kibum, stick your head out."

"'Scuse me?"

"Shut up, and stick your head out of the roof."

Clicking his tongue in annoyance, Kibum unlatched his seatbelt before pushing his head out into the open. Wind made his hair fly and eyes water as they booked it down the street. Oh, this .

Just as he was about to pull back in, Jonghyun squeezed out with, smooshing him into place. Bringing his hand in front of Kibum, he held out his horn. "Here, dude. Your turn"

Taking the horn, Kibum stared at it intently. Let's see now. What to shout, what to shout. It was then Kibum remembered an American TV series he used to watch. It probably wouldn't make sense, but neither did I'm a free man. 

Holding the horn above his head, Kibum screamed, "Canada! Beer! Whoo!" before holding out a long note on the horn.

Cracking up into Kibum's shoulder blades, Jonghyun fought for air. "What in the name of hell does that mean?"

"Um, just what it sounded like. Now get out of my back. And my personal space, for that matter."

Sticking his tongue out at Kibum, Jonghyun pulled back in. Plopping back down into the seat, Kibum was momentarily confused when he felt boredom begin to sink in. Then he remembered. Dammit.

"Guys, I think we should stop now."

"But we just started," Jonghyun whined.

"Yeah, well, I'm bored."

Kibum didn't notice how they didn't seem all too surprised by his sudden lack of interest. He was more concerned about the high pitched wail coming from behind them. Did we run over a cat, what the is that?

"Oh, , it's the popo!" Minho cursed

The popo? The police. 

Pulling the side of the road, Minho tapped the steering wheel as he waited for the cop to approach the window.

"I'm going to need your license and registration, please."

Minho handed the cop what he asked for. . The one time I do something bad, and the ing cops get involved.

"You boys are going to need to come with me."

"Why?" 

"Because I'm going to need to call your legal guardians."

"Can we say we didn't do it?" Taemin asked dumbly.

"I watched you do it."

"Any other proof, copper?"

"Well, I can see the blow horn in your hands. Anymore stupid questions?"

Mentally cussing out the world, Kibum wondered why the this had to happen to him. you. you all. I tried you guys, I didn't like you guys, and now I want you gone.

Holding up a finger, Taemin said, "Only one, officer." He then took his blow horn and tossed it out the window. "What horn?"

Minho banged his head on the steering wheel. "Taemin, you ."


This chapter was absolutely pure hell to put up! Like I can't even. I don't even have the ability to even. No, but seriously, I typed it on this note thing on my Nook, sent it to my e-mail, tried to do it from my Nook (failed), then tried to do it from the computer where it took about five minutes to transfer it from the e-mail to AFF. And, after all of that, I had to go in and fix the paragraphing. Ya know, I actually did do it from my Nook, but I noticed that it made everything the boys said smaller than the rest of the text (which explains something that happened in the first chapter that I never fixed if any of you noticed that XD (so past me said. I fixed that when I edited it)). It ... I don't know if this chapter looks weird at all, but I'm sorry if it does. This chapter was a major hassle.

Anyway, I guess I don't have really much else to say besides... Taemin's a . Lmao. Um, thanks to subscribers, sorry for mistakes, and please comment. Or don't. Never do anything you don't want to do, children!