Chapter Eighteen

Comfort Zone

Kibum's lashes flutter against his cheeks, the first light of day trickling through the open curtains to ruin his peaceful slumber. Sniffing irritably, Kibum cracked an eye open to glare at the offending beam of light shining ever so brightly so early in the morn'.

"Jonghyun," he croaked, hitting his boyfriend's thigh. "Shut the curtains."

Jonghyun grunted softly and pressed his face further into the dip in the back of Kibum's neck. His hand slid from Kibum's hip to rest on his stomach, fingers splayed, but all movement ceased after that.

"Jjong," Kibum whined louder, pinching the sensitive skin on the back of Jonghyun's hand.

Jonghyun inhaled sharply, his hand sliding back to find a less painful place on Kibum's body to settle.

"What, Bummie?" Jonghyun yawned quietly, snuggling his cheek in closer.

"Close the curtain, the sun won't let me sleep."

"I'm sure he doesn't know he's bothering you, baby," Jonghyun mumbled against Kibum's skin. "Just wait a little while, he'll move."

"Jjongieee."

With a guttural sound resonating from the bottom of his throat, Jonghyun rolled away from Kibum and stumbled buck over to the window, dragging the comforter halfway off the bed. Kibum almost giggled when he saw Jonghyun's little bare bottom, but couldn't work up the energy to do so.

"Happy?" Jonghyun asked whilst yanking the curtain closed.

"Profoundly."

Kibum figured he should have known what was going to happen next. It was almost *had* to happen next. That's how unsurprising and predictable it was.

The second Jonghyun turned around, the family jewels clearly visible with the lack of underwear, his bedroom door swung open and, whoo, , isn't that one very irate looking man? Kibum had never yanked a blanket over his body so fast in his life.

Jonghyun stared at the man with his wide puppy eyes as if he couldn't believe what just happened.

"Um... Jongseok... get out," he said slowly.

The nay nay was written all over Jongseok's quickly souring face.

"What the hell is this?!" the man yelled in rising octaves.

"Post attire?" Jonghyun sneered snootily. "Again, get out. My boyfriend's kind of stark , in case you weren't aware."

Jongseok barely spared Kibum a glance, marching a few feet inside to leer threateningly at Jonghyun.

"Sodam may allow you to get away with this disgusting behavior, but I will not. You're to keep any further relationships like this out of my house. Arasso?"

"Why?" Jonghyun barked back venomously. "Because he's a boy? Grow the up already, would you?"

"Grow up? You're the little half-wit who can't remember the most basic manners. This is my roof and you're going to follow my rules while under it! No discussion!"

"Oh my God, what the hell did I ever do to you?" Jonghyun bellowed, nearly toe-to-toe with Jongseok now.

They went back in forth like that, Kibum watching with wide eyes and ever increasing anger. These situations normally gave him anxiety, especially when he was the subject matter, but all he felt this time hostility intertwined with protectiveness. That's why he'd gotten up and yanked his underwear on before storming over to shove Jonghyun behind him. Jongseok was surprised, to say the least.

"Ya know what, Jongseok-ssi," Kibum hissed, jabbing a finger into his chest. "You've got this thing called BMS. Ever heard of it? It stands for y man syndrome. So take some ing Midol, and get the hell over it."

Astounded that Kibum would dare get so close to him (that's what Kibum thought that face meant, at least), Jongseok directed his anger at him.

"Now you listen here, you impertinent little—"

"No, you listen!" Kibum snapped, stepping forward and forcing Jongseok back. "You're acting like a sixteen year old about to start her period. Maybe if you took a minute to stop yelling you'd see that Jonghyun's a perfectly decent person. Maybe you could finally be a ing family and your wife wouldn't have to fish for reasons to force you two to be together!"

Kibum's throat was hurting from the force of his words, but he kept going, pushing Jongseok back one more step.

"You know where my hyung is? Stuck in a coma with a bunch of doctors trying to figure out why he hasn't woken up yet. He's the most important person in my life and I may lose him because some idiot thought he could drive. You have a great dongsaeng right here who you're going to see tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that. So learn to appreciate the wonderful people you have, you rich bastard, before you lose them!"

Jongseok was stock still, mouth gaping and ready for flies. Gripping his churning stomach, Kibum turned away.

"If you'll excuse me, I have to puke now."

Kibum raced to the bathroom he'd found connected to Jonghyun's room last night and slammed the door behind him. Falling to his knees, he gripped the toilet seat—of all the unsanitary, gross, disgusting, vile things—and upchucked the cake he ate last night in a nasty, half-digested mess.  The pressure in his stomach hurt so bad it actually caused tears to spring up in the corner of his eyes.

Choking up pure acid when the contents of his stomach here gone, Kibum was alone for five minutes before the door was pushed open and big hands began rubbing his bent back. 

"Come on, baby, you're okay," Jonghyun soothed, getting down behind him to hold him comfortingly.

"Bull," Kibum wheezed, wincing at the burning sensation in his throat. "I wouldn't be puking right now if your stupid dog face didn't need someone to back you up. This is your fault."

"Sure, sweetheart. Whatever you say."

Jonghyun peppered soft kisses along Kibum's shoulders until the boy finally flushed the toilet and leaned back, settling against the dinodog as he panted.

"If it's worth anything," Jonghyun smiled against Kibum's ear. "That had to be the single most greatest thing I have ever seen in my life."

"Really?" Kibum gasped breathlessly. "Then you've never seen camels humping. That is quite the spectacle."

"Oh, you're right, that is better," Jonghyun chuckled, squeezing Kibum tighter. "But I haven't seen that, so my statement still stands."

"Your loss," Kibum shrugged, pulling away to stand up. "Get out, I need to brush my teeth and shower. I hope you have a spare toothbrush. Oh, and I'm jacking a pair of boxers."

"In the drawer, and whatever," Jonghyun said pushing up to his feet. "But wouldn't it be better if we took a shower together? Ya know, saving the earth and all."

Yanking the sink drawer open, Kibum glared in the mirror at Jonghyun.

"My hurts, you dickwad," Kibum growled, new toothbrush grasped between his fingers.

"Come on," Jonghyun pleaded. "I'll behave!"

Kibum squirted toothpaste on the bristles of his brush and scrubbed furiously at his acid-covered teeth.

"Bull," he said around the toothbrush.

"I will!"

Spitting the bubbly mess into the sink, Kibum stared Jonghyun down with a speculative glare.

"Pinky promise," Jonghyun grinned innocently after a few beats of silence.

Rubbing his temples, Kibum pointed to the door.

"Whatever, just go get me fresh clothes."

Pumping a triumphant fist, Jonghyun scurried out if the room and came back later with a pile of clothes in his hands.

"Okay, shower time!"

"Don't sound so excited, you're not allowed to touch me."

"Ha, ya, keep dreaming. I get to rub you down with soap."

"I will castrate you."

"Oh, whatever, you'll love it."

Kibum did end up letting Jonghyun wash him—half of him.

("Bummie, come on, I won't do anything."

"Nope, I think I'll take it from here, pupzilla."

"Don't you need help cleaning your—"

"No. Whatever you were about the say, the answer is no.")

Now he was settled in a barstool wearing shorts two inches shorter than they were on Jonghyun and a thin long sleeve shirt one size too large. Oh, and batman boxers. They had a belt printed on the fabric and everything.

"Okay, what do you want for breakfast?" Jonghyun called from inside the fridge.

"Just toast is fine."

Peering over the fridge door, Jonghyun tsked at him.

"Ya see, that's why you're underweight."

"First of all, there are a lot of calories in bread and butter. Secondly, I'm not underweight," Kibum denied with a huff.

"Yes, you are," Jonghyun said adamantly. "You lost weight the first few months a Myungsoo's coma and you haven't gained any back."

"Jjong, I'm fine," Kibum insisted. Really, he'd lost maybe ten pounds. Ten pounds wasn't going to kill him.

"No, today we will shall be fat," Jonghyun grinned, pulling chocolate syrup and whipped cream from the fridge. He also grabbed toaster waffles, sprinkles, caramel, and ice cream.

"Oh my God, what are you doing?" Kibum said, eyeing the copious amounts of carbohydrates in Jonghyun's hands. Not that Kibum didn't like sugar, but damn.

"It is called waffle supreme," Jonghyun said, digging his phone from his pocket. "I have to call Taemin. He loves these and always finds out when I have them without him. And you don't want to see a Taemin that has been deprived if his waffle supreme."

Jonghyun held his phone between his ear and shoulder while he popped waffles in the toaster and rooted around in the kitchen for more ingredients.

"Yoeboseyo, Minnie!!!" Jonghyun sang into the phone. Kibum and I are having waffle—"

Kibum heard the shriek from the receiver clear over on his side of the kitchen. Jonghyun dropped his phone on the floor, staring at it with marginally frightened eyes.

"Well, he should be here shortly. Actually lives in the next modern castle down the street."

"You all are just loaded asses, aren't you?"

"Psh, no. I'm dirt poor, in case you forgot. Onew lives in a modest house, and Minho... that boy got the short end of every single stick ."

The toaster waffles popped and Jonghyun jumped excitedly.

"Prepare yourself, Foxy Loxy. You are about to live."

Kibum had to give credit where it was due—Jonghyun was an expert in the art of pilling on top of waffles. He made a mini mountain of whip cream, doused it in sprinkles and chocolate chips, threw on half of a chopped banana, drizzled it with both chocolate and caramel, and put a cherry on top for good measure.

"Bon appetite, Bummie," Jonghyun beamed, setting the monstrous creation in front of a repulsed Kibum.

"You do realize that if I eat this I will get diabetes, right?"

"Well, I don't have diabetes, so I don't think you have any science to support that statement."

"Uh, yes I do?"

"Once won't kill you."

"I think people say the same thing about heroine."

"Dammit, man, eat!"

Glaring at Jonghyun—how dare he raise his voice over such a thing—Kibum grudgingly popped a forkful of the diabetes waiting to happen in his mouth. It was good. Not something Kibum would want every day, but still good.

"Soooo?" Jonghyun said hopefully.

"It's fine," Kibum said passively.

"Which translates to amazing coming from you."

"ALRIGHT, YOU PUPPY BASTARD, WHERE'S MY WAFFLES?!"

Taemin came storming into the kitchen, Minho, Onew, and Joon all filing in slowly after him.

"It took you maybe five minutes to get here, how did manage to get all three of them?"

"Do you not see the pajamas?" Minho asked Jonghyun like he was stupid. "We were all already at his house when he came screaming like a banshee for waffles."

"Excuse you, I scream like a prince," Taemin said around a mouthful of Kibum's waffles.

"Hey those aren't yours!" Jonghyun snapped, snatching the fork out of Taemin's fingers and handing it back to Kibum. Whining, Taemin turned to Kibum expectantly, who gave him the fork back, but was promptly taken away again.

"Go make some, you spoiled brat," Jonghyun frowned. "He'll never get any weight back if you eat all of his food."

"Dammit Kibum, why do you have to be such a twig?" Taemin pouted, resting his cheek on Kibum's shoulder.

"I didn't even lose that much weight," Kibum sighed, taking another bite of his waffles before offering a forkful to Taemin, who swallowed it down like a starving animal.

"Jesus, child, chew."

"No time for that."

"There is always time for that."

"...Well, not when you're—"

"If you finish that sentence," Kibum said menacingly. "I will end you."

Taemin wisely shut up. Chuckling, Minho wrapped his arms around Taemin and pulled him towards the toaster.

"Come on, let's make some of your weird waffle ."

"Don't knock it till you try it you, frog."

Twenty minutes later, everyone was seated around the island, laughing their asses off at Jonghyun's account of Kibum and Jongseok's earlier altercation.

"Wait," Onew cackled, face frighteningly red. "You actually yelled at Jongseok? I can't even look him in the eye."

"Oh, what I would have given to have been there!" Taemin hooted. "I've been waiting for someone to put him in his place since the day Sodam brought him to Jonghyun's fourteenth birthday party."

"That would have been such a great party if she'd just left him at home!" Jonghyun grumbled, apparently still a little irked about it.

"Is he really that bad?" Joon asked from where he sat comfortably under Onew (who still protested whenever Joon pulled him down into his lap).

"Oh, trust us when we tell you that he is such a ing tool," Minho spat. "He hasn't met you yet, but I can guarantee he already hates you because you're dating Onew."

"If I'm such a tool, then you can get out of my house."

This man really knew when he should spawn. Kibum was shocked when Minho, Onew, and Taemin all jumped in mild terror, looking anywhere but at Jongseok. Kibum looked at him rather indifferently, an unsettling iciness coating his stony eyes.

"If you weren't such a tool, maybe more people would want to come over," Jonghyun shot back in a pissy tone.

"Jonghyun, don't be rude," Sodam chastised, coming up behind Jongseok.

"Me? And it wasn't rude for him to come charging into my room earlier while we were both indecent so he could yell about nothing?"

"Jonghyun," Sodam said tiredly. "It is his house. Is it so hard to just... do those activities elsewhere?"

"You're basically asking me to leave who I am at the door upon entering. Why am I the one who's always in the wrong?"

"You're being dramatic," Sodam exhaled roughly, scolding him with her eyes.

"Yes, I'm the dramatic one."

"Jonghyun, for once, just listen to him."

Kibum found his anger spiking for the second time that day. Jonghyun's face quickly dropped in hurt, and Kibum was honestly sick of how much his family had fought in the past fifteen or so hours of him being there.

"Honestly, would it kill you to stand up for him?" Kibum said more to himself than anyone, but everyone heard anyway."

"I beg your pardon?"

Oh, . here we go.  

"I mean... he's here because of you, right? You're his sister, you had to know his personality would clash with Jongseok-ssi's."

Pausing when his phone went off in his pocket, Kibum quickly ignored the call before continuing.

"And since that's the case—since you pretty much forced your parents to leave him here—don't you think the burden of changing should fall a little more on you two instead of him? Why does he have to be the people pleaser in this scenario?"

Sodam was be at a loss for words. She opened to supposedly speak, but Kibum's phone went off again.

"Dammit, who the hell..."

Kibum's phone read Sungyeol. Puzzled, Kibum answered the call and answered slowly.

"Yoeboseyo, Sungyeol."

Kibum heard a few voices and a soft beeping sound, but the line was otherwise silent.

"Hyung?" Kibum tried again, his stomach twisting.

"K-Kibum," a shaky voice answered back, the strain evident.

Clutching the phone tighter, Kibum sat quietly, the ability to speak leaving him. This wasn't actually happening, was it?

"Kibum?"

After so long, Kibum almost refused to believe this was happening.

"Are you there, cub?"


Comment, subrscribe, thanks for reading ;)

P.S. I'll be doing some editing over everything I've done so far. Not just correcting misspells, but re-wording awkward sentences, filling in any holes I find, changing inconsistencies, and stuff like that (For example, I noticed I used Wufan which I think should be Yifan in one chapter then used Kris in another. That irritates me). So updates in the very near future are probably a lie. Just saying.