Chapter Twelve

Comfort Zone

Edited 12/31/14 


This chapter came out like vomit, so sorry if it . If you see something in between this symbol * then it was supposed to be italicized. I think I got them, but I miss them sometimes and there were a lot of them in this chapter.  


One of the funny misconceptions people had retained over the years was that if you scolded a person long enough and loud enough they would recognize their misconduct and regret it. That never worked. Regret couldn't be beaten into you; you had to come in to it on your own. That's why Kibum all but smirked at the principle as he droned on and on about the right way to handle a situation before suspending him for the rest of the week. That's why he promptly got up and left the room when Myungsoo had tried to give him the same speech.

Kibum didn't regret what he did to Sekyung. Not for a second. After getting over his initial panic of possibly being schizo, Kibum felt an almost sadistic satisfaction of having showed that what happened when you ed with people strong enough to deal back what you dealt out times ten. He understood it was a stupid move, but it felt good. It felt great. Was that bad? Maybe... nahhhh.

Needless to say, Kibum was so ing grounded. It have been the greatest grounding of his life had Myungsoo not decided he needed a babysitter while him and Sungyeol were working. And you know who that bastard picked? Sungjong. Sungjong, the y cradle robber who just so happened to work for Sungyeol and was on paid leave for the duration of Kibum's suspension. Oh, someone was going to be dead by the end of the day, and it wasn't gonna be Kibum.

In this high severity situation, Kibum did the only thing that could be done. Late that night, Kibum snuck out of his bedroom and grabbed every snack item possible. He took the package of room temperature water bottles out of the bottom of the pantry and stuffed everything into his room. He kissed his kitten's forehead and promised he'd be back late Friday afternoon and then locked himself in his bedroom.

He had it all figured out. He had food and water, so he wouldn't die. He could go to the bathroom at the end of the day when Sungjong left or, God forbid, piss out the window of his walk-in closet where no one would see if it became too much. He still had his phone, wisely deciding not to mention to Myungsoo that he never took it away. Everything was set. Everything was good. He just had to survive four days of lockdown and he'd be in the clear.

Like a ninja on alert, Kibum's eyes fluttered open the moment the front door opened and Sungjong's sing-song hello came filtering through the walls. It was go time.

Kibum flipped out of bed and triple checked his lock. He checked every window in his room, making sure they were shut firmly and also locked. His food and water was there, and his phone was under his pillow. Let operation Stay Away From Sungjong, S.A.F.S for short, commence.

He sat in the middle of his bed, starting intently at his door for a good thirty minutes before a soft rapping sound came from the wood. It was 6:15, the time Myungsoo normally left. The door knob jiggled, but held its ground against the wanna be intruder.

"Kibum, are you awake?" Myungsoo asked.

To ignore or not to ignore? That was the question. Cutting his hyung some slack, Kibum went for the latter.

"Ne, hyung," he called from his spot on the bed.

"Are you going to open up?"

That would defeat the purpose, so he was gonna have to say no.

"Ani."

A gruff sigh could be heard from outside the room. Oh, you're annoyed Myungsoo? Well, you should have thought about that before you dumped Sungjong on me.

"Is this because I grounded you? Kibum, you can't lock yourself up just because—"

"Oh, Jesus, Myungsoo. It's insulting that you think I'd ever be that petty. I will have you know that you have a child molester in the living room and I'm bare save for my boxers. I'm not opening the door."

Kibum heard a loud, "Hey!" come from the living room.

Psh, it's true...

"Kibum, Sungjong wouldn't do anything to you."

Bwahahahahahaha! Bull...

"As if I'd believe that," Kibum mumbled.

Myungsoo sighed in defeat. He told Kibum goodbye through the door and left for work. It was just Sungjong and Kibum now. Let the games begin.

Sungjong was quiet for a while. Too quiet. Kibum could picture Sungjong plotting in the living room with entire plans drawn up for getting to him. Kibum nearly had a heart attack when one of those plans involved dangling his poor kitten over a full bathtub, but he quickly told his mind to stop ing with him. The bastard would never dare.

Turns out Sungjong had been plotting, but not quite how Kibum imagined. There were no schemes or kitten drowning; just a butter knife Sungjong found in a kitchen drawer.

Kibum had no idea Sungjong could be so smart. Really, how many times did you have to do this to be so adept at it? Sungjong took that knife, jammed it between the lock and the door frame, and popped the ing door right open like a boss. Kibum nearly pissed himself at the prospect of having to face this badass head on. With no other options available, Kibum did the only thing he could; escape through the window.

There was no time for clothes. It took half of Kibum's body to be out of the window he quickly unlocked and threw open for Sungjong to fully process the situation. And it was not good.

"Nonononono, get back in the house!" Sungjong screeched. He jumped over Kibum's bed like a ninja master and grabbed for the escapee. He was too late.

Kibum was out of his room, crawling across the cement overhang right out his window. One slip and he'd probably fall to his death. He'd rather die than be , so he couldn't bring himself to care.

Sungjong was freaking out.

"Kibum, get back here! You're gonna hurt yourself. And, for Christ's sake, your only in your ingboxers!"

"I'll come back in when you leave!" Kibum tossed over his shoulder.

Sungjong made a choked noise before ducking back in. He started frantically talking to someone after a few moments, but Kibum tuned him out. He'd be fine here. Yup, as long as he didn't fall he'd be okay.

Kibum noticed he was starting to attract attention. People below were pointing and whispering to their neighbors. A few had whipped out their phone to take pictures of the mostly boy hanging out on the apartment overhang. Mind your Goddamn business, you hos...

Kibum figured everything was going swimmingly until he heard sirens. He looked around, confused, trying to figure out what was up when three police vehicles swung into the parking lot. Oh... ...

Sungjong's head was back out the window. It contorted unpleasantly and he glared at Kibum.

"Oh my God, you called the ing cops?!"

Kibum looked at him, exasperated. "Me?! I thought it was you!"

In the end it didn't matter. The cops were there regardless of which random citizen called them.

Six police men popped out of their cars, and Kibum cringed when he noticed the familiar face of the man that had pulled him and the other guys over. He hoped he didn't remember him.

One burly officer with a megaphone cleared his throat and bought it to his lips. A static sound sliced at Kibum's eardrums when he spoke.
"Sir, please get back inside the building."

Kibum's answer to that was no.

"You don't need to do this, okay? There are people who can help you."

Wait a minute... what?! Kibum looked at Sungjong for some sort of explanation but the elder seemed just as baffled.

"Oh, , they think you're attempting to commit suicide," Sungjong gasped.

Uh, no? That sounds painful. And stupid. He had a baby to take care of.

Kibum suddenly heard his phone sing and pulled it from his pocket. He looked at the I.D. before flipping it open.

"Yoeboseyo, Minnie."

"Yoeboseyo!" Taemin sang. "How's your first day of lockdown going?"

"Well... I'm sitting on the overhang outside my window in my underwear and some cops that showed up think I'm gonna jump," Kibum stated dully.

Taemin paused before saying, "Are you ting me?"

"Do I ever joke?"

"Hmm, good point. Hold tight, I'll be over in a few. Was gonna skip anyway."

Taemin hung up and Kibum looked down at the cop who had started speaking again. A few of them were gone meaning they were probably coming up to his room. Dammit.

"You're hyung is going to kill me," Sungjong groaned.

Kibum could only hope.

The police men tried to coax him back into the apartment for ten solid minutes without Kibum moving a muscle. No one seemed to understand how stubborn he was. He completely ignored the police leaning out his window. Instead he played Candy Crush 'cause why not?

"Bummieeeee!!!" A voice rang out.

Kibum looked over his phone at an overly excited Taemin jumping up and down next to a flustered Minho and a much too happy Jonghyun. They rushed into the building, ignoring the demands of the police to stay back. A minute later Kibum heard some sort of scuffle coming from his room and then a dinodog scrambled out the window onto the overhang. Kibum could hear the cop cursing even though he wasn't using his megaphone.

"Hey, foxy," Jonghyun beamed as he scooted his way over to Kibum.

Well... wasn't this all just an interesting turn of events? Not thirty minutes ago he was sitting alone in his room, and now he was on the overhang with all this company. Marvelous.

Jonghyun flopped down next to him and hugged him into his side.

"So... what'cha doing? Besides chilling in your boxers, not that I mind."

Apparently attempting to commit suicide.

"Oh, ya know. Running away from a ," Kibum shrugged.

"You mean that pretty man with the ghetto booty?"

Kibum raised an eyebrow at Jonghyun.

"Ghetto booty?"

Jonghyun snickered.

"Yeah. He's got some serious junk in the trunk. Whoever is drilling him must love that."

Kibum shook his head and went back to Candy Crush. He really needed to stop playing this game. It was going to ruin his life.

"Bummie, come on. I think you've done your overreacting for the day," Jonghyun said, nudging his shoulder.

Kibum looked up, offended. Overreacting? There was a child molester in his bedroom!

"I am not overreacting, he—"

Jonghyun clapped his hand over Kibum's mouth and waggled his finger at him.

"Babe, you're one small stumble from falling to your doom in your underwear. He's not gonna touch you, alright? I've got your . Now come on," Jonghyun smiled sweetly. Or mockingly. Or ertedly. Kibum never could tell...

"Fine," Kibum mumbled grumpily.

Kibum stuffed his phone in his mouth and scooted behind Jonghyun. Jonghyun squeezed in through the window frame and reached back out to help Kibum shimmy through without dying. Kibum had most of his weight on Jonghyun at that point in time and something occurred to him.

Jonghyun smelled really good. Like, holy , someone used amazing soap. Kibum needed this smell in his life. Mental note to ask Jonghyun about his body wash written.

Kibum's body was dragged the rest of the way through. Jonghyun had a pretty decent grip on Kibum, but was easily shoved aside by a frantic Sungjong.

"Holy ing , don't you ever pull that again! Jesus Christ, are you hurt anywhere?!"

Sungjong was in mother-mode overdrive as he twisted Kibum around looking for any injury.

"Dammit, your hyung is going to flip when he gets here."

And cue the banging of the front door. Something equivalent to a heard of stampeding elephants thundered down the hall and a terrified looking Myungsoo came bolting through the door.

"I leave you alone for less than a Goddamn hour and you try to be ing Spiderman in your tighty whities?!" Myungsoo bellows.

Ohh, I think it's time to go back out the window...

Kibum backs away from Myungsoo, honestly expecting to get beat, but is yanked into a bone-abusing embrace when his hyung gets a hold of him.

"Seriously, don't scare me like that," Myungsoo said into his shoulder. "I wouldn't have left you with anyone that would hurt you, do you understand? This cannot be a thing!"

Kibum bit his tongue and tried not to argue. No, he really didn't understand, but his hyung had never lied to him. Withheld the truth, yes (talking about you, Sungyeol), but never lied.

When Kibum was about to speak a throat was audibly cleared and they both looked over at the burly cop who had come up... when, exactly?

"Excuse me, but I would be much obliged if you would tell what the hell that was," he said rather rudely.

"None of your ing business, that's what it—!" Kibum started before a hand was once again shoved over his mouth. He was going to start biting fingers.

"Please excuse him, he's a bit irritable when he's upset. I'll explain everything in the living room, if you don't mind," Myungsoo said curtly.

Myungsoo left the room with the officer and Sungjong close behind, leaving Kibum with Jonghyun, Taemin, and Minho.

"So," Taemin grinned. "I see you've had a rather exciting and exposed morning."

Ya, really. It was, like, 7 o'clock.

Slumping against his wall, Kibum sank to the floor. He'd spent all of his available energy for the day and needed an entire system reboot before he'd be able to effectively function.

Jonghyun sat down on his right side; Taemin on the left. Minho was being an awkward panda in the middle of the room.

"Hey, you okay there, Foxy Loxy?" Jonghyun inquired. He inspected Kibum's face—stony as ever—and decided Kibum was not okay and needed a bear hug. He'd use any excuse to touch his little reticent diva. What could he say? He was needy and pathetic. Nothing wrong with that.

Kibum let Jonghyun hang on him. Did he need the comfort? No. Did he want it? No. But, but, something had occurred to him while he was out on the overhang with Jonghyun. Something important. He liked Jonghyun's hands.

Who'd have thought he'd be a hand guy? Jonghyun's fingers were shorter than his, but stronger. He could feel calloused tips rubbing small circles over his sharp hip bone. The overall size of Jonghyun's hand was bigger and felt pleasantly warm on the fabric of his clothes. Kibum could feel the most secret part of him hoping those burning palms would stay there forever. He wasn't sure if he liked Jonghyun, hadn't been sure since the puppy protected him from bricks and told him he was perfect, but he certainly liked the elder's hands. And that... was a lot more than he'd liked in most other people.

Kibum shifted his body lower onto the wall and curled into the dip of Jonghyun's body. He heard a sharp inhale from his pillow and smiled on the inside. He felt an odd urge to fall asleep like that, snuggled up to Jonghyun.

Huh... maybe I do like him? Myungsoo is gonna flip .

Taemin too, as it turns out. The youngest was having a seizure or something back there if the choked sounds meant anything. He finally settled on a wail and flung himself at Minho's legs.

"Minho, that stupid dino took my Bummie away!" Taemin cried.

Minho seemed a-okay with that and pulled Taemin up so he could hold him in his time of sorrow. He was just as pathetic as Jonghyun when it came to hugging his love.

There was a difference, though. Minho could hug Taemin just fine. Jonghyun finally had Kibum right where he wanted him to be (and in his underwear, so bonus) and he couldn't ing breathe. His lungs had just said, " you," before rupturing. Pretty rude thing of his lungs to do.

Kibum was able to lie in a minute of comfortable silence against Jonghyun when a blunt nail jabbed painfully into his ribcage. Disgruntled, Kibum cracked a lid to look at Taemin suddenly next to him again looking debauched.

"Um, excuse me if this is an impertinent accusation, but do you actually like Jonghyun? Like, like-like

Kibum had already went over this in his head, he didn't need to again.

"Hands," Kibum said simply.

"Uh... I don't follow," Taemin said.

Jonghyun's chest was all but frozen now, waiting in agonizing stillness for Kibum's response.

"I like his hands," Kibum elaborated.

Taemin nodded but didn't appear satisfied with the answer.

"Alright, but do you like him?"

Questions, questions; always questions! Couldn't anyone just leave well enough alone? He was still trying to figure it all out himself, dammit.

"It wouldn't be completely erroneous to surmise that from the current route of my thoughts, if you really need to know," Kibum said groggily, closing his eye again. Damn, running—or rather crawling—was exhausting.

And just with that simple maybe, at least that's what Jonghyun thought those words meant, Jonghyun's chest began moving again and his heart grew three sizes. Like the Grinch.

"Oh, hell no, I'm trying to stop a cop from busting your for causing a disturbance, and this is the thanks I get? You cuddling with that while less than decent?"

Goddammit, Myungsoo. Why are you being such a killjoy today?

"But he has such nice hands, hyung!" Kibum whined. Nice hands were now compulsory.

"No," Myungsoo snapped. "Never gonna happen. Get out of my apartment, boys. Kibum's grounded."

Wait, hold the phone. No? As in, no you may not date this boy? Oh. Oh Kibum and Myungsoo were gonna to be going rounds by the end of the day, weren't they?

He loved his hyung with every fiber of his being, but he'd be lying if he said what he did next wasn't purely to spite Myungsoo.

Tilting his head up, Kibum brushed his nose against Jonghyun's neck on his way to the underside of his mandible. Kibum, just to be that , pressed a lazy kiss on Jonghyun's jaw for the entire world, namely Myungsoo, to see.

"Just for what my hyung said, I want a date as soon as I'm let out of this apartment," Kibum chuckled. Jonghyun turned scarlet and managed a squeaky okay.

See, this was the thing. Kibum was old enough to make a decision such as dating by himself. He didn't need his hyung to tell him that the druggie over there was a bad decision, or to stay away from the alcoholic over yonder. Jonghyun wasn't smart, but he was a good kid. He'd probably be a decent if not great boyfriend.

Myungsoo didn't care though. He just saw a puppysaur taking his precious baby away.

Seeing red, Myungsoo stomped over to Jonghyun and pulled him to his feet, leaving Kibum alone on the floor.

Aw, now I'm cold...

He shoved Jonghyun towards the door and pointed at Minho and Taemin.

"Out!" he barked.

They tripped running away from the rampaging bear that was Kibum's hyung, and a loud slam could be heard from the door hastily closed.

Myungsoo turned to Kibum with a livid expression. Kibum crossed his arms stubbornly over his chest and shot Myungsoo an unimpressed stare.

"Hyung, whether I date Jonghyun or not isn't up to you."

"I beg to differ," Myungsoo puffed.

Kibum rolled his eyes.

"Myungsoo, he's nice and I think I like him. A lot, since I'm even considering this. What could he have possibly done to irk you so much?"

"Nothing, but you aren't allowed to date till I'm dead!" Myungsoo said exasperatedly, like it was obvious. It was, honestly, but there was always the chance it was something different and Kibum needed to be sure.

"Aww, c'mere," Kibum smiled as sweetly as he could. Ya know, to grease the gears.

Myungsoo grumbled as he shuffled over to Kibum. Kibum waited for his hyung to get fully situated next to him then draped his arms across Myungsoo's shoulders.

"Myungsoo, can I ask you something? Without you getting mad?"

When Myungsoo stayed silent, Kibum said, "I know you're protective and all, but could you... not try to be my appa?"

"What?" Myungsoo blanked, surprised. "I haven't been—"

"Oh, yes you have," Kibum chuckled lightly. "That just now? That's what fathers do when someone comes to take their baby girl to the movies."

"But I wasn't," Myungsoo protested, "I just... I mean you can't... He—"

"Myungsoo, shut up. You're rambling."

Myungsoo's jaw snapped shut.

"I don't want an appa. I want a hyung. Honestly, I've always liked you better than him anyway. Even before I lost my mind," Kibum grinned.

"You're not crazy," Myungsoo said softly.

"Eh, I think I am. But the thing about being truly crazy is you don't really know it, huh? Now... about that date with Jonghyun."

Myungsoo groaned in the up most agony and let his head thunk against the wall.

"Come onnnn. I'm gonna do it regardless of what you say."

"Fine," Myungsoo mumbled.

"Really?" Kibum gasped, taken aback.

"Mhmm. On one condition."

.

"What?" Kibum asked cautiously.

"You're not allowed to try to escape when Sungjong comes to watch you unless he really is trying to you."

"Deal."

"And you can't lock him out."

"... sadistic bastard."

"I know. Now go put some pants on."


How come... How come none of you told me I was typing like a retarded third grader? Like, seriously, I went back to edit past chapters (still not done with that, I'm kind of lazy) and nearly cried at the mistakes I saw. I was spelling sweetheart wrong for whatever reason, I was saying aloud instead of allowed, I was using the wrong form of there... I must have been writing high or something. Anyway, I now check my spelling with word, so things should be significantly better spelling wise.

So um... It's been a while. Yeah, I um... have school and I'm tired a lot... so... don't hate me.

That's really it. Um, comment, sorry for mistakes, and thanks and all. Lmao, have a good whatever part of the day you're in. :)